• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It had to be done...GBA vs SNES game library.

Tsubaki

Another vote for:

This is a stupid thread +1

If you think the GBA library is better, then you really don't know your gaming history. As much as I like the GBA (my favorite system this gen), it gets a lot of crap on it. And even the cream of the crop for the system tend to be dumbed down by the producers for whatever reason, and I'm tired of it.

For every Fire Emblem, there's a Fire Emblem. For every Advance Wars there's a SuperFamicom Wars. When you play in the big leagues there's no contest though. Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis is utter crap especially when compared to Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together. SNES also has Axelay, Front Mission, easily playable version of the Street Fighter IIs, Actraisers, heck... a whole crapload of Square & Enix support.

I hate to admit it, but the handheld haters on this board are somewhat right. The SNES/SFC was a real console and producers made games with that in mind. With the GBA, they tend to treat it as a portable and as such, the games are shorter, simpler, and are obviously not as prioritized or cared for. It's not -always- the case, as Intelligent Systems has been pouring their heart out for the system. But this is by and large the exception.

Tsubaki said:
Another vote for:

If you think the GBA library is better, then you really don't know your gaming history. As much as I like the GBA (my favorite system this gen), it gets a lot of crap on it. And even the cream of the crop for the system tend to be dumbed down by the producers for whatever reason, and I'm tired of it.

For every Fire Emblem, there's a Fire Emblem. For every Advance Wars there's a SuperFamicom Wars. When you play in the big leagues there's no contest though. Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis is utter crap especially when compared to Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together. SNES also has Axelay, Front Mission, easily playable version of the Street Fighter IIs, Actraisers, heck... a whole crapload of Square & Enix support.

I hate to admit it, but the handheld haters on this board are somewhat right. The SNES/SFC was a real console and producers made games with that in mind. With the GBA, they tend to treat it as a portable and as such, the games are shorter, simpler, and are obviously not as prioritized or cared for. It's not -always- the case, as Intelligent Systems has been pouring their heart out for the system. But this is by and large the exception.

You're right. You can feel it in a lot of games like the Sonic Advance series. Now, they're not bad games per se, but a far cry from the original Genesis games. Now, had Sonic Team done these games personally and given them the same production value, it might be different. But what's the point, it's 'just a portable' game.

Same with Nintendo and their many Mario ports. If they really thought portable gaming was on par with console gaming, they'd give us a fresh, new Mario platformer instead of countless rehashes.

Not that I mind all the rehashes and ports, but I would like to see portables given the same respect as console games. But that's just not going to happen.

MakMan

What seems the most strange to me at this moment, is the minimal amount of games that came/comes out for the GBA. The system itself, even with the DS out, is selling nearly on par with the PS2, but most developers don't seem to have any interest in developing any games for it? Where are the big Konami, Capcom, Square titles? They could sell a billion of them with the enormous GBA owners. Square could easily give themselves a new million seller by porting Super Mario RPG or Chrono Trigger. What's stopping them from doing so? Sony?

I think I read it someplace that the actual games on the GBA don't sell all that well, particuarly 3rd party games. The only exceptions are the Mario series, the Pokemon series, and licenced crud like "Shark Tale" or "Spongebob".

Could we get some GBA sales charts in here?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
MakMan said:
What seems the most strange to me at this moment, is the minimal amount of games that came/comes out for the GBA. The system itself, even with the DS out, is selling nearly on par with the PS2, but most developers don't seem to have any interest in developing any games for it? Where are the big Konami, Capcom, Square titles? They could sell a billion of them with the enormous GBA owners. Square could easily give themselves a new million seller by porting Super Mario RPG or Chrono Trigger. What's stopping them from doing so? Sony?

That's a good point. But the thing is there are some killer big titles coming out now like FF 1 & 2, KH, Yoshi's Gravity, etc....

Tsubaki said:
Another vote for:

For every Fire Emblem, there's a Fire Emblem. For every Advance Wars there's a SuperFamicom Wars. When you play in the big leagues there's no contest though. Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis is utter crap especially when compared to Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together.

While you're browsing through the Game History 101 textbook, you might want to look up "Super Famicom". You know, different from "SNES".

The games in my list certainly don't feel dumbed down.

Izzy

Banned
SNES was really, really great. *takes a look at his collection*

-Ikari no Yousai
-Darius Force
-Darius Twin
-R-Type III: The Third Lightning
-Super Turrican 1&2
-Rendering Ranger
-Axelay
-Area 88

'Nuff said.

Tsubaki

RE4 vs. SH4 said:
While you're browsing through the Game History 101 textbook, you might want to look up "Super Famicom". You know, different from "SNES".

IMO that distinction is irrelevant, because times have changed. A lot of games that are translated today would have never been translated before. I am more about comparing what companies did with the respective systems, and the software that came as a result of it. I refuse to let some translator 3rd party determine which games are and aren't allowable. It's all about the games.

The games in my list certainly don't feel dumbed down.

I beg to differ. I despise:

Metroidvania (a major step backwards imo)
Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis (worst SRPG I've ever played, but keep in mind i try to play only good ones)
Golden Sun (standard jRPG with all the pitfalls of them. not like SNES ones were better, but considering it's now 2004, I hold my jRPGs to much higher standards)

Shouta said:
No true Lufia games on the GBA = win for SNES!
lufia.jpg

GBA is portable. I play different on my GBA then on my SNES. Don't forget the SNES also had alot of crap games. GBA does have a lot of gems which can be played on the road which is an huge plus.

Shouta

Isn't bad compared to a pile of dog crap, yes. However, it sucks compared to every other RPG out there.

Top Bottom