• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It has been 4 years since gay marriage has been legalized in the US

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Inconsequential, just like the recent legalisation here in Aus. The world hasn't collapsed due to gays getting married, but at the same time the LGBT ideology hasn't realised that it no longer has a reason to exist as a political movement.
Just be happy for the people that aren't loud about it. There are decent and shitty people regardless of orientation.

Papa

Banned
Just be happy for the people that aren't loud about it. There are decent and shitty people regardless of orientation.

Of course, but there is no equivalent heterosexual political lobby to criticise. I totally support people like Dave Rubin who are gay but don't wield it as a criticism shield, i.e. they want to be treated as normal people without special status. I'm happy that they can marry the people they love and have their relationships recognised as being legitimate under the law. Just stop carrying on about it. It's done, the fight is over.

Winter John

Gold Member
Sure. It's a good thing that the gay community now gets the same tax and legal benefits. I know one guy who had lived with his partner for 27 years. When his partner died his family tried to take the house and kick him out. Luckily we got him a real good lawyer and put a stop to their shit.

Tesseract

Banned
i'm fine with it, as it extends hospital visitation and whatnot, tax code changes

at the same time, it's over now, you got what you wanted, let's move on

Vlaphor

Of course, but there is no equivalent heterosexual political lobby to criticise.

There never had to be. Heterosexual people were never denied the ability to marry, so why would they need to have anything like that.

Just stop carrying on about it. It's done, the fight is over.

I wish that were true, but critics of LGBT marriage have made it very clear they intend to keep fighting it. Hell, here's two attempts from this year.

and I have a feeling that Trump is only going to embolden these people even more. I wish the fight was over, but opponents of LGBT marriage keep bringing it, so we need constant vigilance.

source.gif

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda silly. I say they could have stripped the financial benefits from marriage and kept it strictly as the union of a man and woman. Nothing more, nothing less.
Church =/= State.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The gay marriage battle has given way to battle to allow parents to inject sex hormones (puberty blockers) into their 7 year old kids and all sorts of other vile ridiculousness. So no, I don't think it's cool. At the time I thought it was great, but now I'm thinking it should have ended at "tolerance."
You don't know many gay people IRL do you? The only person I've known to do this was this straight woman that was ex military.

kegkilla

Banned
You don't know many gay people IRL do you? The only person I've known to do this was this straight woman that was ex military.
To do what? Change their mind on gay marriage? I know quite a few gay people, work closely with a few. Nice enough people for the most part, but I can no longer support it after seeing the direction all of this is going.

Soltype

Because normalizing "gay" has moved the bar to where all this other shit is now being normalized. I think treating "gay" as if it's normal is bad for society as a whole.
Gay culture is not normal, and trying to normalize it doesn't gel with many other facets of the culture.You can't have this be a normal acceptable part of your culture

Then in the same breath say you want to be treated like everyone else, it's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
There never had to be. Heterosexual people were never denied the ability to marry, so why would they need to have anything like that.

I wish that were true, but critics of LGBT marriage have made it very clear they intend to keep fighting it. Hell, here's two attempts from this year.

and I have a feeling that Trump is only going to embolden these people even more. I wish the fight was over, but opponents of LGBT marriage keep bringing it, so we need constant vigilance.

And the point that you clearly missed is that homosexual people are no longer denied the ability to marry, so the associated political lobby no longer has a reason to exist.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Our Society is pretty fucked as is, but it isn't because we have become okay with gays marrying. I don't want to go offtopic here or get political because that itself is one of the actual contributing factors itself. Those who want us to be scared and divided through media manipulation. The Lizard people. :messenger_ghost:
Gay culture is not normal, and trying to normalize it doesn't gel with many other facets of the culture.You can't have this be a normal acceptable part of your culture

Then in the same breath say you want to be treated like everyone else, it's ridiculous.

Being gay and gay culture are two different things. Not all gay people choose to be loud and parade around shirtless.

Vlaphor

And the point that you clearly missed is that homosexual people are no longer denied the ability to marry, so the associated political lobby no longer has a reason to exist.

And the point that you clearly missed is that though we have the right now, people are still trying to take it back from us, so we must remain strong. Until it becomes enshrined in the constitution, LGBT marriage and associated rights will be threatened.

Papa

Banned
And the point that you clearly missed is that though we have the right now, people are still trying to take it back from us, so we must remain strong. Until it becomes enshrined in the constitution, LGBT marriage and associated rights will be threatened.

Fair, but then it should be utilised in a defensive capacity. In my observation, since acquiring the right to marry, the LGBT political lobby has gone on the offensive, likely due to correctly recognising their diminishing relevance and necessity. It’s what every political movement that has overstayed its welcome does.

Vlaphor

Fair, but then it should be utilised in a defensive capacity. In my observation, since acquiring the right to marry, the LGBT political lobby has gone on the offensive, likely due to correctly recognising their diminishing relevance and necessity. It’s what every political movement that has overstayed its welcome does.

What exactly do you mean by this anyway?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The parade that serves as a display for exhibitionists, show offs, and narcissists has exhibitionists, show offs, and narcissists :messenger_open_mouth:

They clearly represent their whole sexual orientation.
Sarcasm font

Vlaphor

Maybe the bakery incidents?

Religious exemptions are still a form of discrimination, which is covered under the commerce clause. Straight people don't have to worry about people refusing to bake cakes for their wedding, why should LGBT people?

Soltype

Our Society is pretty fucked as is, but it isn't because we have become okay with gays marrying. I don't want to go offtopic here or get political because that itself is one of the actual contributing factors itself. Those who want us to be scared and divided through media manipulation. The Lizard people. :messenger_ghost:

Being gay and gay culture are two different things. Not all gay people choose to be loud and parade around shirtless.
True, but this a public display around numerous cities to celebrate pride.There's a lot in these parades that most normal people wouldn't be proud of, moreover I see the media promoting them and honoring them.I rarely see or hear people of the LGBT community disavowing this behavior.When BCR/Spring Break or Freaknik was big, people spoke against it due to unwonted behavior, but with pride parades, nothing.You can't stand shoulder to shoulder with this stuff and not condone it, it's hypocrisy.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Religious exemptions are still a form of discrimination, which is covered under the commerce clause. Straight people don't have to worry about people refusing to bake cakes for their wedding, why should LGBT people?
I don't think religion is equivalent to a sexual orientation. That is coming from an agnostic. I think at one point the LGBT fought for equality and being treated the equally. But now it is more of a us vs them and they have been doing things that made many gay people move away from them. But that is just IMO anyway.

True, but this a public display around numerous cities to celebrate pride.There's a lot in these parades that most normal people wouldn't be proud of, moreover I see the media promoting them and honoring them.I rarely see or hear people of the LGBT community disavowing this behavior.When BCR/Spring Break or Freaknik was big, people spoke against it due to unwonted behavior, but with pride parades, nothing.
Big cities themselves are full of unpleasant people and the media pushes agendas what else is new?

Papa

Banned
What exactly do you mean by this anyway?

Since the battle for equal marriage rights under the law was won, there were no more battles to fight. Right now, there are no laws in Australia that treat people differently on the basis of sexuality. I believe the same is true for America. So then any residual homosexual politics should revolve solely around the protection of anti-discrimination laws that are already in place, not the creation of new laws.

What I have observed in the aftermath of the gay marriage victory is that there is a fervor -- an almost religious zealotry -- in the LGBT political coalition that simply must have a battle to fight. They are no longer happy with tolerance and equality under the law; they seek to indoctrinate as many people as possible with their ideology and to acquire additional rights and special treatment. These include, to name a few: the right to dictate the words that other people use; the right to force radical, unscientific gender theory into classrooms just as the religious right used to do in the evolution vs. creationism debate; and the right expose children like Desmond to the degenerate aspects of LGBT culture under the guise of "diversity and inclusion" -- weasel words that I reject as nothing more than political propaganda. In reality, these things only serve to alienate the moderates and general public from your movement and create the risk that normal homosexuals who simply want to go about their lives in peace will be caught in the cultural crossfire. A functional society will not stand for these things being foisted upon children.

Vlaphor

Gay pride doesn't mean pride, it means a lack of shame. We aren't ashamed of being LGBT. It's less a parade and more of a show, a way to trigger those would say that LGBT people should remain in the closet and out of sight. I've never participated in that kind of parade, but I know people who have and that is the only time of year they act like that.

Also, straight pride parades aren't a thing, since straight people generally haven't been discriminated against in the same way that LGBT people have.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

Since the battle for equal marriage rights under the law was won, there were no more battles to fight. Right now, there are no laws in Australia that treat people differently on the basis of sexuality. I believe the same is true for America. So then any residual homosexual politics should revolve solely around the protection of anti-discrimination laws that are already in place, not the creation of new laws.

What I have observed in the aftermath of the gay marriage victory is that there is a fervor -- an almost religious zealotry -- in the LGBT political coalition that simply must have a battle to fight. They are no longer happy with tolerance and equality under the law; they seek to indoctrinate as many people as possible with their ideology and to acquire additional rights and special treatment. These include, to name a few: the right to dictate the words that other people use; the right to force radical, unscientific gender theory into classrooms just as the religious right used to do in the evolution vs. creationism debate; and the right expose children like Desmond to the degenerate aspects of LGBT culture under the guise of "diversity and inclusion" -- weasel words that I reject as nothing more than political propaganda. In reality, these things only serve to alienate the moderates and general public from your movement and create the risk that normal homosexuals who simply want to go about their lives in peace will be caught in the cultural crossfire. A functional society will not stand for these things being foisted upon children.

First off, there are several laws in place or trying to be in place in America that are designed to discriminate against LGBT. I posted two of the more extreme ones (state based banning of LGBT marriage), but a bunch more states are trying to pass different types of laws to make it OK to discriminate on the basis of employment, housing, etc. As for everything else you wrote, all we want is to spread the idea that it is indeed OK to be LGBT. Hatred and discrimination are learned at an early age, so it's best to counter that as soon as possible.

The LGBT agenda is to live and love without the risk of discrimination or murder. That's it.

way more

Because normalizing "gay" has moved the bar to where all this other shit is now being normalized. I think treating "gay" as if it's normal is bad for society as a whole.

I think the "gay" will normalize over the next decade and revert to a less aggressive form.

CeroFrio996

Banned
The gay marriage battle has given way to battle to allow parents to inject sex hormones (puberty blockers) into their 7 year old kids and all sorts of other vile ridiculousness. So no, I don't think it's cool. At the time I thought it was great, but now I'm thinking it should have ended at "tolerance."

Man this is as stupid as the "pot is a gateway drug" crap.

The doomsday crap that was supposedly going to come to pass after gays could marry has yet to happen. Instead people are happily getting married and don't have to worry about discriminatory practices because they aren't considered to be in a real marriage.

From a legal, moral, human rights, perspective gay marriage was never a real issue. There's no legitimate reason not to let gay people marry.

Papa

Banned
First off, there are several laws in place or trying to be in place in America that are designed to discriminate against LGBT. I posted two of the more extreme ones (state based banning of LGBT marriage), but a bunch more states are trying to pass different types of laws to make it OK to discriminate on the basis of employment, housing, etc. As for everything else you wrote, all we want is to spread the idea that it is indeed OK to be LGBT. Hatred and discrimination are learned at an early age, so it's best to counter that as soon as possible.

The LGBT agenda is to live and love without the risk of discrimination or murder. That's it.

Perhaps that’s how you approach it, but there are other unsavory elements using the LGBT banner as a Trojan horse for some truly insidious ideas, often involving children. You have ignored the examples I listed and done the typical handwave dismissal of “everything else you said”. Like it or not, your political movement must convince people like me that your ideas are worth supporting. That’s the entire purpose of a political movement in a democracy. So long as the undesirables who are pushing modern gender theory in classrooms; pushing for acceptance of drag and trans children; and trying to enforce speech codes are allowed to continue waving the LGBT banner, I will not support you. It is up to you to excise these elements from your movement if you want my support.

CeroFrio996

Banned
Perhaps that’s how you approach it, but there are other unsavory elements using the LGBT banner as a Trojan horse for some truly insidious ideas, often involving children. You have ignored the examples I listed and done the typical handwave dismissal of “everything else you said”. Like it or not, your political movement must convince people like me that your ideas are worth supporting. That’s the entire purpose of a political movement in a democracy. So long as the undesirables who are pushing modern gender theory in classrooms; pushing for acceptance of drag and trans children; and trying to enforce speech codes are allowed to continue waving the LGBT banner, I will not support you. It is up to you to excise these elements from your movement if you want my support.

That can be said of any movement, and using that as an excuse to handwave real problems present in the LGBT community is cowardice at best.

I don't want children exposed to this kind of shit. I don't want children to be giving any thought to "sexual identity" "gender identity" before hitting puberty. Yet here we are in 2019 with children's TV programming introducing them to gay characters.

Ugh, this is so reactionary and ridiculous. "THINK OF THE CHILDREN". Not every facet of culture is meant for children, though somehow it's okay to sexualize little children in beauty pageants and treat their platonic relationships like heterosexual romantic ones. And as someone who is bisexual I knew since I was very young what I was all on my own, without being told. They reason we introduce children to gay characters in media is the same reason why we introduce them to handicapped individuals, so they understand how they should treat people who seem different than themselves.

Vlaphor

If feel this way, your support may not be attainable, and that is ok. We'll be fine. Our ultimate goal is acceptance and support. I wish the best for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom