• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What a year it has been in gaming.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

U0SBphc.jpg

What have been your gaming lowlights this year?

It's been like the early 2000's all over again for licensed games out there. Still a few good ones of course (Spider-Man, etc.) but we haven't seen levels of licensed shovelware like this in a while.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
1aOdxS0.jpg

I actually bought and played this for the lulz, but my god was it a stinker. Absolute shite from start to finish and no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Rise of Kong and Gollum at least gives off some "so bad it's good"-vibes but Last Hope is a unsalvageable turd of epic proportions.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Final Fantasy XVI was one of my all time biggest gaming disappointments. I thought highly of Yoshi P and was 100% on board with the shift to DMC style combat + darker GoT style story.

Ended up with a game that sucked as a character action game and as a JRPG. It’s the most bored I’ve ever felt in a mainline FF game and is now the only one I haven’t finished.

I’m sure it’s not the worst of 2023 but it was the biggest letdown.

I know im in the minority here but I thought this year was kind of dissapointing. It was a year of high profile games but a lot of them turned out to be lackluster like final fantasy 16(yes that thread aged badly), street fighter vi, etc. I'd even say the previous couple years were better.

Final Fantasy XVI was one of my all time biggest gaming disappointments. I thought highly of Yoshi P and was 100% on board with the shift to DMC style combat + darker GoT style story.

Ended up with a game that sucked as a character action game and as a JRPG. It’s the most bored I’ve ever felt in a mainline FF game and is now the only one I haven’t finished.

I’m sure it’s not the worst of 2023 but it was the biggest letdown.
Same.

Yoshi P make some insanely weird decisions like giving most enemies you face literal training dummy AI so it wouldnt offend peoples "gamer pride". You dont even get difficulty levels because that would offend peoples "gamer pride". And the constant filler between each story beat doing pointless fetch quest bullshit. You're 100% right about it not working as either a character action game and JRPG as well. Each side compromises the other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom