• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Game of the year so far?

FFXVI, and it’s not even close. It’s rare to see a game that ends up being so aggressively less than the sum of its parts, but here we are. This is my least-favorite game in the series and my least-favorite game I’ve purchased in years.

Serious Brian Cox GIF by SuccessionHBO

FFXVI is a lot of things, but it's hardly the worst game of the year.

I've never played another Final Fantasy upon its release, but the Final Fantasy XVI demo won me over, so I bought it at full price. Unfortunately, everything I liked about that game seemed mostly relegated to the sections you play in the demo, and past the first act, it became incredibly disappointing.

Not a terrible game, but I steer away from games I don't think I'd like, so that one wins my "worst" game of this year.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Tears of the kingdom.

The whole game was copy and paste. Go to an area, find someone, help them solve a problem, take them to the “dungeon” and then solve 5 small puzzles.

It was a fun sandbox game but man do I miss traditional Zelda
I know it's not the most popular opinion but man do I miss the old Zelda formula, so much that I just got a romhack of ocarina of time just this afternoon (time master) it seems okay so far but I had a headache and couldn't play much.But people seem to like the new zelda , I know I am in the minority and that there's not a lot of hope to go back the old formula sadly but hey people really likes it so good for them I won't shit on it, we just parted ways.
Fast And Furious Brian Oconner GIF by The Fast Saga

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
People are full of takes here, but let's talk about really bad games for a sec (and I'm omitting Starfield that spurred a lot of negative emotions in me, but it was hardly a bad game). All of them are on PC but it's because I game mostly on PC.

- Company of Heroes 3 -- creative bankruptcy in a nutshell. Unfinished, poorly designed game with outdated visuals and broken balance who's onle saving grace is the fact that the genre is kinda dead and beggars can't be choosers.
- Cities Skylines 2 -- optimization can be fixed, core cannot. It's still a traffic jam sim with city-building added on top of it for pretty visuals. I don't want to sort out road network, I want to govern a town and create a good economy. Sadly, Cities is none of those things but, once again, beggars can't be choosers. The genre is barely alive thank to EA.
- Sadly, Forza Motorsport. The handling is brilliant, but the overall state of PC port is deplorable. Content is also razor thin, I've finished everything in a week and have no desire to participate in online ramfest with cheaters. Also, wheel support is utterly broken, thanks for nothing, I guess.
- Darktide. I know it's a 2022 game, but it's a masterclass of how you can frag up the insane goodwill from fans with a crappy service support. No tanna leafs for that devs, Comissar Cain.

Other, at least from my experience, were at least good games, just not hitting me in the right time or mood (I'm stll holding back ToTK because I'm just not into gluing sticks together just yet). 2023 is a year of an insane game qualily, in all honesty. The only worst thing about it is that I don't have enough time to play these great games.

Last edited:

cireza

Loop8 was a genuinely bad game. Avoid at all cost. The collector was very nice though.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'd say FFXVI and I'm not trying to be inflammatory, etc.

When you look at what the meat and potatoes of that game is, it's just such a massive disappointment to me. It's a mainline FF game and a PS5 exclusive. I love games that have serious issues, enjoy what you enjoy and ignore people like me, but FFXVI to me is like, "WTF is going on here, where's the game?!?" 😅🍻
There is still way more game in ff16 than in starfield and Alan wake 2. Imo ff16 was amazing. A bit bloated and combat got a bit repetitive by the end but it’s still a genuinely good game.

For me, considering big hitters, starfield is the worst game this year. Such a huge disappointment.
The obvious choice is redfall but it’s just an unfinished game. So it can take a hit for starfield

Last edited:

Krieger

Worst games I played this year, which aren't from this year:
  • Metro Exodus: A story that shits on everything that happened before Exodus, an "open" world that shouldn't have been open and buggy AF.
  • Horizon Forbidden West: A convoluted story that makes no sense, Aloy as one of the worst protagonists, a DLC that wasn't worth the price. The only redeeming qualities: it looks great and I was able to kill robot dinosaurs.
  • Saints Row (2022): The story is something 13-year old TikTok addicts would maybe find funny. Gameplay was at least ok.

Phobos Base

Of the games I've played, it has to be Starfield. It feels painfully dated next to the likes of Cyberpunk, and is far too safe in terms of tone.

sigmaZ

Out of the games I played? FF16 easy. Spiderman 2 is a close second (mainly do to the five phase boss fights and odd dialogue/virtue signaling). All the other games I played this year were fantastic.

Svejk

Wanted Dead, Forspoken and Redfall. Gollum should be as well really bad, but i haven't played it.
Damn. I totally forgot I had Wanted Dead... I'm still in a bit of denial that game needs some serious balancing addressed. I love the vibe and the janky, but fast, combat... But that first fucking ninja just slaughters me for some reason... This reminds me too that it needs better check points... Guess they just plopped it out and walked away. *sigh
I would play on easy, but don't want those silly cat ears. Lol

Bought it, played it, got a...sick satisfaction from completing it but the game is BAD, as in, it's hastily put together and it shows, nothing works properly/as intended , it's buggy, ugly and unfinished.

Plainly put, it's completely and utterly shite, feels like it's still in alpha, got abandoned by the devs (almost a year later and no promises patch) and in the end, it's just a mish-mash of poorly implemented ideas that just don't gel together.

There's absolutely nothing "endearing" about it - not even in the usual "AA trashy" way like Deadly premonition...

Anyway, for me, the worst games I've played this year are :

- Wanted dead
- The Callisto Protocol (good graphics do not a good game make, shame about all those millions spent on it to produce it)

Ok, now breathe!
I just don't agree! :)

Frwrd

its not you its just the the hate that ff16 gets seems unjust it has its flaws but the game is good imo.
To be honest with you, that’s one of the main reasons why I stopped checking reviews ages ago, also a reason for me not to trust some “influencer” on the internet. I rather trust the opinion of any real fan of a game/series than to trust in these websites and “influencers/pro-gamers” where money is involved and passion is not.

Top Bottom