• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which NeoGAF GOTY runner up from this decade is the best?

Which NeoGAF GOTY runner up is the best?

• Total voters

LakeOf9

NeoGAF has had some great GOTY winners over the years.

This thread isn't about them, it's about the games that almost won. The second place finishes that games got this decade so far. There are four such games - in your opinion, which is the best one, and why?

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The game of the generation, obviously.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
TotK for me out of that list, was a surprisingly easy choice. None of the other really come close imo.
lSmgf7S.jpeg

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Having just replayed TLOU part 2 remastered again. Undoubtedly that. The encounters are some of the best visceral, gritty combat you will find in any game.

Fredrik

images

Better than any of the GAF GOTY winners, imo
What is it that you like so much?

I have the PS4 disc on the shelf but haven’t played it 🤐
Idk I just find the story so incredibly uninteresting going by what’s been talked about online, and Joel was my guy and I always disliked Ellie so it just feels like it wasn’t made for me. It’s a bummer tbh, I loved TLOU1.
I’ll play it some day. Thought about jumping in on the $10 upgrade for the remaster but it got so much critique. Maybe when it comes to Steam.

For those getting close my choice would be Zelda TOTK. Would’ve won at TGA any other year. Never finished it personally because I got stuck playing GAF’s favorite but it blew me away in so many ways and literally made one of my alltime top 10, BOTW, feel irrelevant. The rest of the family is still playing it almost daily. It still amaze me when I see them play, it’s a marvelous game from a gameplay and game mechanics perspective, possibly one of the best ever.

The winner BG3 on the other hand bored me, it was hyped up as if everybody would love it but it’s really a game for a small target group from my perspective. I’m surprised so many on console liked it, I thought it played really badly on Xbox, way too many icon rings and menus. Dropped it after less than an hour and played on PC instead, it’s a ton better there but I dropped it there too after another 25 hours. The roleplaying is fantastic but it’s just not my type of game, too slow and clunky.

Topher

Gold Member

Idk I just find the story so incredibly uninteresting going by what’s been talked about online, and Joel was my guy and I always disliked Ellie so it just feels like it wasn’t made for me. It’s a bummer tbh, I loved TLOU1.
I’ll play it some day. Thought about jumping in on the $10 upgrade for the remaster but it got so much critique. Maybe when it comes to Steam.

Story is fantastic. Opinions vary on that, but that's mine. I enjoyed l playing as both Ellie and Abby. Liked the different perspectives that show us that this thing was never as black/white as some seem to think.

The gameplay is sublime. Probably my favorite stealth game, but you don't have to play it that way, obviously.

I wouldn't pay any attention to what others say about the story. This is one you have to decide for yourself.

Last edited:

Vick

You have the PS4 disc already, and a PS5 to upgrade for 10 bucks?

Feels absolutely insane to NOT play the game given these circumstances, would be worth it for the No Return mode alone. The "much critique" you've read about the upgrade is due to the conservative nature of the Remaster, and while playing the game you'll understand why is the only correct approach for a visual/artistic endeavor like this.

See for yourself what the fuss is all about, because even disliking the story (like I do) much of the game is unparalleled.

Fredrik

You have the PS4 disc already, and a PS5 to upgrade for 10 bucks?

Feels absolutely insane to NOT play the game given these circumstances, would be worth it for the No Return mode alone. The "much critique" you've read about the upgrade is due to the conservative nature of the Remaster, and while playing the game you'll understand why is the only correct approach for a visual/artistic endeavor like this.

See for yourself what the fuss is all about, because even disliking the story (like I do) much of the game is unparalleled.
I could try it but I could wait for a Steam release too. Idk I’ve just seen nothing that pulls me in from the gameplay, and while the story twist is ballsy and fresh it’s just not for me. In the end it’s as interesting for me as a new God of War game where you play as Loki, or Balder, or Thor. No wait Thor would be cool, I like Thor. But Ellie and Abby? Nah.

Top Bottom