• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Game of the year so far?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Didn’t play Redfall at launch, only when they kind of fixed it. Completed the game - it is not great but not a disaster either. Wild Hearts is worse, Minecraft Legends was also disappointing.
Yeah I lasted like 10 minutes in Minecraft Legends and uninstalled. Not for me.

Roberts

Yeah I lasted like 10 minutes in Minecraft Legends and uninstalled. Not for me.
Yeah, I totally dig that Mojang have finally got off their butts and started making new games and the idea of making each game in a different genre is commendable, but while Dungeons was a pretty damn good arpg, this one's a failure of game design. Maybe it gets better later but the whole RTS thing just felt seriously undercooked and frankly boring.

Dazraell

It depends how you define the "worst game". If you will go for something that gave red flags since its early trailers, King Kong game or Gollum will take the spot

If you go for a biggest disappointment in AAA games, I think Redfall or Forspoken would be the biggest ones

Some people will probably go with Starfield, but come on. It's disappointing for sure, but it's not a bad game. It's "just okay"

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Form personal experience:
I don't play bad games, so none.

From reviews:
I think Greyhill Incident is the worst game i have seen this year

Starfield was extremely disappointing but it isn't bad per se so it would not be my worse game of the year, more like "most disappointing game of the year". "Disappointing" isn't the same thing as "Bad".

Worse game of the year for me would be Redfail; that was an awful game that I regret wasting two hours of my life on even if it was 'free' on GamePass. I am sure there are others that I have played that I have managed to forget and overcome the trauma of playing but Redfail stands out as the worse.

xrnzaaas

I've completely avoided Gollum and Redfall and generally I don't play games with low scores (unless the critics are clearly wrong like with the Terminator game). The worst release I've played this year was Forza Motorsport. There's so many things wrong, broken and disappointing about it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The worst game I have played this year is XIII Remake.

The worst game I have played this year that was also released this year… it’s a tie between Diablo IV and Starfield.

Last edited:

ShakenG

Can't remember if it came out this year but my worst for the year was Saints Row. Got to the (safe house?) and uninstalled it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
No "worst" games per se, only my subjective disappointments for various reasons.

Diablo 4 - This shit sure got boring real quick!
Remnant 2 - Man.. I didn't enjoy the gameloop at all. Nanite good, levels and variety meh.
Alan Wake 2 - Fucking hell.. Way too on-rails! Solving puzzles be like: Closing eyes and go clickety click = Solved!
Starfield - Todd, my man, how could you do this to me.. This game desperately needed a seamless feel, how could you not get that, it's 2023, it's so obvious.. Just look at Star Citizen ffs!
Minecraft Legends - Guys.. You made billions and billions in profit on the Minecraft franchise, and this is all you managed to come up with..? Just fuck off!
Cities Skylines 2 - Wtf is this stuttering mess...? My 4090 PC: "Wait, what's going on, am I suddenly impotent or something..? :("

Last edited:

killatopak

Starfield is probably the most disappointing but it’s definitely not the worst. I think it’s still a decent game.

The worst is probably Silent Hill Ascension. Literally pay to canon and you even get a you paid the most for this choice medal. Spit on us SH fans. Silent Hills with Del Toro died for this.

xAiRYXV.jpg

Last edited:
I played Redfall as a huge Arkane fan and that is objectively the worst shit I played this year. However...I expected it to be terrible but wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt because Arkane.

My biggest disappointment was RE4R. It's like they managed to suck every ounce of straight gameplay fun out of it with those shitty controls and absurdly over-animated movement. The original is stiff by today's standards but it's precise and tight as hell. RE4R feels sloppy, sluggish and halfway to a GTA I'm Drunk mission. But hey it's "more serious", 9/10.

GHound

Call of Duty by a long shot since it's literally $70 DLC.
Seconded. Hell, Modern Warfare III for not just being a turd off by itself in its own little circle jerk but also for making me have to download a fuck huge update just to continue playing the game I bought a year ago instead!

CeeJay

Forza Motorsport has been both the best and worst game for me this year

The multiplayer racing has been amazing, the best racing I have ever had in any game ever. In every other racing game by the time you get towards the end of the race the pack is really spread out and it becomes fairly solitary. In FM though I have had many a nail biting finish. One memorable race saw me in the middle of a pack of five cars nearly touching, going full speed down a long straight and into the corner without a single car crashing. You simply can't do that against AI as invariably one of them will brake for no reason whatsoever or in other multiplayer games someone will always start barging you off the track. It's an incredible thing to have the confidence in the other (S class safety) drivers around you to be able to drive on the limit in such close quarters. They have really nailed that real life racing experience where the drivers (mostly) respect and yield where appropriate.

Buuuuuuut...

fuck this shit!
a41ll3iebmyb1.png

winjer

Gold Member
Probably Skull Island: The Rise of Kong. But I didn't play that one. Nor Redfall or Gollum.
I mostly steered away from bad games. But I did play Starfield, so that is it for me.

Alebrije

Starfield....maybe because I started playing Fallout 76 like 3 months ago and find its world more entertaining..so I keep comparing both games and Starfield feels empty...maybe on 5 years it will be a better game.

GymWolf

Didn’t play Redfall at launch, only when they kind of fixed it. Completed the game - it is not great but not a disaster either. Wild Hearts is worse, Minecraft Legends was also disappointing.
Wild hearts is order of magnitude better than redfall.

Only performance wise redfall was much better at launch (on a monster pc, on console they were both terrible)

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Redfall easily. They tried to make a Borderlands and fell on their face. Stick to what you're good at. Rocksteady about to learn this same lesson.
At least Rocksteady's Suicide Squad looks like a decent, polished, AAA game - regardless of whether the live-service model suits the game they're making or not.

Redfall looked and felt more like a prototype than an actual, finished and good game.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It has to be the Finals beta. I played for maybe 5 minutes and knew this shit was trash.

I skipped games like Redfall as well.

I think the most disappointing game has to be Starfield. I was honestly shocked at how mediocre it was. I wouldnt call it bad, but it was not good either. Put in 40 hours just waiting for it to get better. It never did.

Roberts

Wild hearts is order of magnitude better than redfall.

Only performance wise redfall was much better at launch (on a monster pc, on console they were both terrible)
Not going to defend Redfall, because it is not some sort of misunderstood masterpiece. I don't know the history of the game's development and frankly don't really care about it but it is obvious that whatever ended up being released probably wasn't what they intended it to be. It is a mutant of different approaches and gameplay ideas that never truly come together. Now after finishing it, I wish it wasn't trying to imitate stuff like Borderlands or Division where your actions don't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but be a more straight forward single (or co-op) experience where you do make a change. For example, you clean up a neighbourhood, destroy a nest or two and vampires are gone from it. There are tons of other issues with it, but I got sucked into that world. I loved exploring the town and that is probably the main reason I decided to stick with it. And action stuff is pretty good, too. Anyway, I finished it and I don't consider myself to be a masochist.

Now, I loaded up Wild Hearts (which ran like shit at release but I just checked and it runs a whole lot better on XSX now), played it for probably 3 hours or so and found it incredibly dull. Why play this if you have Monster Hunter: World? It's a honest question.

Last edited:
The worst I played and got bored with was Redfall, and I didn't even think it was outright awful, it could be a good time with a friends group. Most games are though. It was the biggest disappointment in a year of some big ones for me. Arkane is one of the last few studios that I really love and that Redfall release really marred my opinion of them and their focus as a studio.

So worst was Redfall and then biggest disappointment was Starfield. I wanted to like it more than I did and gave up after 10 hours or so. I should have gamepassed that thing and saved myself the money.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Certinty

I'm not even trolling when I say it's probably Starfield.

The horrible gameplay, laughable animations and voice acting, constant loading screens and awful looking at times visually just to name a few things.

Still don't understand how it's at a 80+ Metacritic score.

GymWolf

Not going to defend Redfall, because it is not some sort of misunderstood masterpiece. I don't know the history of the game's development and frankly don't really care about it but it is obvious that whatever ended up being released probably wasn't what they intended it to be. It is a mutant of different approaches and gameplay ideas that never truly come together. Now after finishing it, I wish it wasn't trying to imitate stuff like Borderlands or Division where your actions don't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but be a more straight forward single (or co-op) experience where you do make a change. For example, you clean up a neighbourhood, destroy a nest or two and vampires are gone from it. There are tons of other issues with it, but I got sucked into that world. I loved exploring the town and that is probably the main reason I decided to stick with it. And action stuff is pretty good, too. Anyway, I finished it and I don't consider myself to be a masochist.

Now, I loaded up Wild Hearts (which ran like shit at release but I just checked and it runs a whole lot better on XSX now), played it for probably 3 hours or so and found it incredibly dull. Why play this if you have Monster Hunter: World? It's a honest question.
I played redfall for 10 hours and i bailed out because it was dull as fuck in all of its parts, and this comes from a HUGE arkane fanboy.

Why playing wild hearts? Because i already have 1200 hours in world and capcom doesn't want to release a proper sequel :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Dude i even fucking hate fortnite and building stuff and the game was still decent, the best things are the weapons, look at some guide where they show all the weapons, some of them are beyond cool, something that monster hunter clones never get right.

If performance are fixed i'm probably gonna return to the game since i only played the 10 hours demo on origin.

I don't particularly like the monster design, i give you that.

Last edited:

Roberts

I played redfall for 10 hours and i bailed out because it was dull as fuck in all of his parts, and this comes from a HUGE arkane fanboy.
I think that is it probably. As an Arkane game it is garbage. I looked at it as Farcry with vampires and yes, both can get dull and boring but somehow I always end up returning.

StueyDuck

Your favorite game on your favorite console is the one I hate the most 🤣

Did I do an internet?

In terms of objectively worse game, I don't know because it don't hate play games like Kong and gollum, you have to ask those who played them

Last edited:

GymWolf

I think that is it probably. As an Arkane game it is garbage. I looked at it as Farcry with vampires and yes, both can get dull and boring but somehow I always end up returning.
It was dull even as far cry with vampires and powers.

Powers were the most dull shit i ever experienced, especially when you compare with dishonored powers.
Shooting was just ok with humans but the ia was terrible, shooting against vampires was terrible.

Vampires were a cakewalk and the game was just super easy.

Believe me i tried to gave the game a fair chance, you can even find a mildly positive post of mine in the ot after a couple of hours...

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Biggest disappointment: Starfield, runner up: Diablo4

Don’t think I paid for anything I’d label ‘bad’

Played Witchfire beta that was bad :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom