• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seems crazy GTA6 seems to have missed the peak of PS4 / XB1

Dr.Morris79

I've lost total faith in Rockstar. I utterly loved Red Dead 2, it was everything I wanted in regards to that particular game but the company as a whole seem to have lost what they seemed to be about

They now seem a parody of themselves, they seem to have become what they joked about on some of the radio stations in their own games..

It's just weird. It was a company I knew i'd be getting a solid GTA from but now i'm just left wondering how they'd launder money from it.

It's not a nice feeling to be fair, true you can say 'well money must be made' but most of us old farts were with them when they first started and the passion was more on the game front..

They seem a bit of a shell of themselves.

It would be interesting to see how they expand GTA V on the new systems, Like a whole new map expansion could be interesting.

Regardless of the consoles having SSD's they will still take an age when loading into GTA Online.

GymWolf

I think it's for the better.

Jaguar cpu are not nearly enough to sustain a game like gta6.

They are barely ok for rdr2 a game with FAR less stuff on screen.

Schmick

Who honesty wants GTA VI on this current gen technology?

I'm reading a lot of comments that coming across as 'entitled much?'. Theres no reasons to use words such as 'hate'. For one Rockstar is not the only developer producing quality games. Theres so many games to play.

ToadMan

Rockstar are the event. When they announce a game, everyone listens, when they put it on the market, everyone buys it.

They’ll need to put out 2 to 3 flops in a row for that to change.

It doesn’t matter if they release a major game on the last day of a console’s life or a cross gen game or mid gen game - they’ll sell gazzilions.

Rockstar is probably the only studio I’ll buy a game with zero knowledge about it - in fact I’ll avoid reviews, previews and anything and just buy it. They haven’t disappointed since gta 3 for me, and tens of millions of others concur judging by sales.

That’s the brand recognition they have. They don’t care about console launch alignment because they don’t need to.

Last edited:

Hudo

6th gen console Rockstar was the best Rockstar, IMHO: GTA III, GTA: Vice City, GTA: San Andreas, Red Dead Revolver, Bully, Midnight Club II, Midnight Club 3, Manhunt, Manhunt 2, Max Payne, Max Payne 2, Smuggler's Run, Smuggler's Run 2, The Warriors...

Shark cards are stilling selling. If they are still making money from this then what would be the point of making a new game?*

*sarcasm.

GTA 6 will just be a host for GTAO so don't expect much story wise. GTA V was only 30 hours long and they are on record as saying GTA 6 will be a smaller game at launch with content to follow - which as we know from this generation will purely be online BS.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm hoping splitting GTA:O off allows them to just focus on the story single player and not get caught up having to tweak and develop two products simultaneously. Use a WoW upgrade process to the GaaS portion piecemeal over time.

I'm hoping splitting GTA:O off allows them to just focus on the story single player and not get caught up having to tweak and develop two products simultaneously. Use a WoW upgrade process to the GaaS portion piecemeal over time.

GTAO is just MP for the map. It isn't that hard, every other developer can handle it. The campaign just doesn't bring in anything like the kind of recurring cash that online does.

They could have easily focused on bringing us single player DLC for GTA V but they chose dumb online stuff that costs virtually nothing to make but rakes in a ton more money. I think SP campaign DLC was actually on the cards but they cancelled it.

You think they want to spend years making detailed SP missions when they can just sell flying bikes and cars and shark cards?

GTA is basically a Fortnite type of game now, that's where the dough lies.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It seems crazier to me how many people bought GTAV and seem to re-buy it every time an upgraded version comes out. GTAV is still in sale charts SEVEN YEARS after release, and the announced next-gen version isn’t gonna gather dust on store shelves too.

Breakage

Definitely, which is why it's most likely Vice City 2.
If they go ahead with a return to the 1980s and Vice City for GTA6, I reckon the higher ups will still expect Rockstar to make sure the game conforms to modern “progressive” values.
Maybe internally Rockstar itself is going down the politically correct road and that's why Dan Houser left. I do wonder how a new GTA game will fit into an increasingly psychologically volatile western world.

Last edited:
I don't really see anything non-politically correct GTA does that it needs to tone down for the baying mob.

Are they going to make peds jump out the way or something? Do a female lead? (doubt that very much)

Could you even get a hooker in V?

JMarcell

Take-two/Rockstar does'nt need to rush GTA6 because they're making a ton of money with GTA Online, don't expect GTA6 released until the final half of PS5/XSX lifetime (2023 ownards)

Astral Dog

Its ok because they will make good use of the SSD and new CPU both very important for open world games, however they can't skip this one 🤭 that would be very shitty to their fans

Woggleman

Hell naw.

Franklin or "F" (groan) and Michael were whinging complaining cunts.

At least Trevor was insane while he was at it. That conversation with Johnny Klebitz' brain on his boot :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Here is why I hated Trevor.

Claude, Tommy Vercetti, CJ and Niko Bellic were gangsters and hardened killers but they still fit in with what the world was about, Trevor on the other hand was a cannibal, he abused and raped Floyd for no good reason and he bullied people weaker than he was. The other protagonists wanted power and money at all costs and were willing to do whatever it took to get that but they weren't over the top scumbags like Trevor was.

lock2k

Banned
GTA has become their Sonic.

Virtually their only brand, but they don't get shat for it.

They had so much variety before and now everything is GTA V.

Its not like they didnt release anything between GTA V and now. RDR2 wasn't exactly small pickings.
It wasn't...but it's also not like it's getting much love post-release either. It's been 7? 8? months since the last "DLC" for RDO and it's full of bugs and glitches that have been ignored since it first came out. GTA Online is pretty obviously their main focus and has been for a while, and with them re-releasing it on next-gen consoles (milking it yet again, even when the consoles are inherently backwards compatible with the PS4/XBone versions) that train doesn't show any sign of slowing down any time soon.

Diddy X

You figure out if they afforded to skip ps4/xo how good GTAV is doing, 6 is gonna be so big and longlasting they need to release in the right moment and now it just wasn't with V still in the top 10 everywhere.

A crossgen GTA6 wouldn't have been enough, I call for full nextgen GTA with mindblowing tech that lasts the next 3 gens.

Last edited:
i think GTA6 is quietly being developed

and it will blow your socks off in the same way flight simulator 2020 has blown our socks off

2022-2023 release seems plausible

but in the meanwhile, GTA5 will continue being milked for what it can get

I don't expect to GTA6 to release until Sept/Oct 2023 at the earliest. The timing might work out that it's (potentially) right around when we might expect a PS5 Pro launch.

*GTAV on PS5 - 2021* - confirmed

?? Red Dead Red Redemption 2 on PS5 in 2022 ?? Maybe?

Nextgen console upgrades of GTAV and maybe RDR2 will have to tide us over.

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

I don't expect to GTA6 to release until Sept/Oct 2023 at the earliest. The timing might work out that it's (potentially) right around when we might expect a PS5 Pro launch.

*GTAV on PS5 - 2021* - confirmed

?? Red Dead Red Redemption 2 on PS5 in 2022 ?? Maybe?

Nextgen console upgrades of GTAV and maybe RDR2 will have to tide us over.
You know there is also a new xbox....

Kerotan

What makes you so sure?
There's probably about 20 million people who bought gta v full price and never played the online much if at all. They would lose billions off their return if it was online only.

It will probably be 20/30% shorter in length then RDR2 but still a good length.

GTA Online makes too much money and Rockstar is going to ride that GTAV train for as long as possible. GTA 6 would probably be a tricky one in today's political climate. If Rockstar is looking into GTA 6, they're probably trying to find a balance of what's acceptable and what's not.

There's probably about 20 million people who bought gta v full price and never played the online much if at all. They would lose billions off their return if it was online only.

I'm one of those people. I never had the desire to play online.

Kerotan

I'm one of those people. I never had the desire to play online.
I loved the online after about 4 years of updates. If V was online only I'd have waited until it was €20 on sale and with years of updates.

Instead I bought V for €70 then again on ps4 for €40. R* would be brain dead to leave out a campaign.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s just gaming, all the games R* releases nobody remembers what day they release on in the end

I loved the online after about 4 years of updates. If V was online only I'd have waited until it was €20 on sale and with years of updates.

Instead I bought V for €70 then again on ps4 for €40. R* would be brain dead to leave out a campaign.
A campaign/story mode would be the only reason I would bother with GTA 6. With how successful the online portion is I'm sure Rockstar knows there are people that like playing solo too. It'd be crazy if they went online only.

Given the ROI on the online community I could still see them going online only. Embed the Single Player missions to make players more comfortable with the Online-World; take them from having to switch Modes. 2019 was GTA Online's most successful year so far, the return on investment is insane. They could print sooo much more money if they invested the Singleplayer Budget also into the Online part.

Kerotan

Given the ROI on the online community I could still see them going online only. Embed the Single Player missions to make players more comfortable with the Online-World; take them from having to switch Modes. 2019 was GTA Online's most successful year so far, the return on investment is insane. They could print sooo much more money if they invested the Singleplayer Budget also into the Online part.
What did they make in 2019? Was it more then GTA V made in 2013?

I think your idea is good but it would be very wise to offer the ability to play in offline mode.

They are doing the right move. GTA Online is where GTA future is, RPG is thriving and keeping the game alive beyond belief.

GTA VI will have a huge RPG/Online component or focus and it will be great.

Top Bottom