• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seems like gaming is under seige by white supremacists

Preface: With everything that's been going on over the last year and especially the last few weeks, I wonder if it's alright to have a central place to discuss and try to process how the alt-right and white supremacy in general has been trying (rather successfully it seems) to infiltrate all levels of gaming. I understand if the mods don't think it's appropriate to have this discussion in it's own thread though and I encourage them to shut it down if they feel so.

I've written a huge essay below that contains my thoughts on the matter, but feel free to skip it and throw in your thoughts if you want to.

EDIT: There's been a little confusion about my essay. I'm presenting the argument that there's been a very recent push by certain white supremacist groups to focus their attention on co-opting video gaming as a recruitment tool. Racism in gaming has existed for a long time (voice chat anything for instance), but in my essay I discuss how the existence of that sort of thing is part of what's left the door open to recent infiltration attempts. This is not about isolated incidents of racism, but an actual organized coup with a long-term goal for the people involved.

The problem gaming faces right now, as I see it, is that white supremacists, in their want to turn people to their side and thus grow their numbers, have always had the problem of where to find a receptive audience to keep their vision of hatred going. You can't just come out and say to someone's face "Hey, screw everyone of another race, white people should rule everyone. Hitler forever!" because it'll immediately turn off 99.9% of anyone who hears it. They have to act in a subversive manner and find an audience looking for direction. Also, the younger the person the better because A. Young people are more likely to change their behavior as their ideals and norms haven't been solidified yet, B. young people are usually more receptive to counter-culture ideas and movements, perfect for any group starting at the bottom, and C. get them young and they'll keep the torch going for decades. In my opinion, they found the perfect audience with gamers.

Mass market video games (mostly what we have called AAA games) have become ubiquitous with young people (mostly older teenagers and people in their early 20's, a large amount who are white). A number of these people have stalled out in life or are lost with little or no real ambition. Many of them are depressed about this state of existence and bitter towards the rest of the world because they can't seem to find a way to fit in with current society. Gaming offers to them an escape from what they see as a harsh unforgiving world, or if anything, a place where they can change who they are for a little while. These are perfect conditions for someone looking to influence someone in one way or another, good or bad. I'm not saying that all gamers are like this, or even most, but because games have become so popular, the wider the net that can be thrown, the more of the type mentioned above that can be found.

It's for this reason that white supremacists, in the last few years, co-opted more and more gaming terms, memes, and activities in an attempt to try and make gamers more receptive to their movement. The more gamers they get to their side, the more being a gamer becomes synonymous with being a white supremacist. It's especially good for them because games by themselves aren't bad. They're fun and often leads someone to want to connect with others about their positive experience with them. The alt-right and white supremacists want the first thing a person new to the social aspect of gaming to see when they look outward to expand their horizons to either a friend or online is to be something or someone friendly to their cause. To usher you in the door with a cookie (games are fun!) and then keep feeding you slightly more rotten food until you're eating almost literal shit and don't want to stop because you associate the shit with the positive thing that made you feel good back in the beginning.

Alt-right and white supremacists don't really care about gaming in the long run, to them it's just an exceptionally useful tool to indoctrinate people with. They've tried this with music and books in the past, and still do now, but gaming is perfect right now because of the fact that it's a fledgling industry just coming into it's own. It's cutting edge and 'hip', it's growing at a pace that ensures there's very little quality control happening, and it's finally just gotten big enough to swing into the mainstream allowing any messaging to spread a lot easier than when it was just a niche thing for nerdy kids back in the 80's and 90's. Gaming is also going hand-in-hand right now with laissez-faire venture capitalists and the hard-core libertarians of the tech industry who like to fight against any sort of regulation of thought, business, or content which is what has really allowed their ideas to flourish in the modern age.

White supremacists were able to start making their comeback by rallying distant splintered factions through the internet, especially through message boards such as Stormfront, etc.. As such, they've been able to learn to use the internet as a finely honed weapon of infiltration. 4chan was a perfect starting point due to the 'next-to-no moderation' policy that they employ. 4chan has a lot of the same type of disenfranchised people that are drawn to games, thus making it a very logical step to appeal to those people. They cultivated a receptive audience over a period of years, reeling in innocent bystanders who just wanted to see the 'terrible shit' people would post on 4chan as a form of 'harmless' entertainment, but catching the real attention of a few at a time. They had the perfect chance at jumping to the mainstream with gamergate, easily co-opting a section of gamers who showed resentment and frustration towards themselves that they tried to attribute to women and finding a sort-of legitimate stance of holding gaming journalists accountable to hide behind.

Lately, they've been able to find real allies in gaming youtube 'celebrities' who have looked to promote themselves through any means by providing an audience of people willing to lap up anything that conforms to their new world view. This has allowed them to quietly slip in people who actually hold hateful ideas and dress them up as just another friendly gaming youtube let's-player or commentator, thus reaching an even wider audience. Now that they have a younger audience who's been brainwashed to their ideas, some these people have started to grow up and gone out into the real world where they can start to slowly slip their ideas and symbols into other areas; in particular gamers who decide to make games themselves.

This is what I see as the next step for white supremacists and gaming. As I see it, if things continue this way, allowed by the people in charge who can actually say no to this kind of content or stand up for some sort of positive moral standing, we'll start to see more and more games that contain problematic content that at first seem innocuous, but grow more and more bold over time. More people of moral standing will be unwilling to identify as being a gamer or want to be involved with the gaming industry, thus hurting gaming in general, but as gaming is the perfect escape for the disenfranchised, we'll continue to see more and more people becoming indoctrinated towards hateful ideas. I'll admit, it's a little scary to me right now as I see very little push-back against this in the gaming industry.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts on the subject. Feel free to throw out whatever you want involving the topic.

EDIT 2: Here's some actual links to follow (props to the guys who posted this in the thread) if you want some concrete evidence of some of the organized push by white supremacists into the gaming sphere.

Steve Bannon's linking of gamers to Breitbart and then to the far right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej_5vyDkZgU&app=desktop

Coordinated attempts to use the internet and 'movements' such as gamergate to push youth towards the alt-right: https://www.vox.com/culture/2016/12/14/13576192/alt-right-sexism-recruitment

SZips

They didn't infiltrate anything, they've been there all along.

The current social and political climates just gave them an open door to share their racism with the world without much perceived consequence.

Lime

Good OP, but this isn't new and a 40 year old industry is not a 'fledgling industey'. The mainstream premier games and their marketing have always been aimed at white dudes, even if people of color have always been playing them.

Gaming has always been a space for white supremacists, it's just in the last 4-5 years that it's beginning to show for the majority because of the attacks on minorities and the radicalization of young white men turning to neo-nazism and white nationalism.

And the solution to combatting this white supremacy is not going to come from the industry unless it means more profits - they only do whatever does not hurt their bottomline - as you can see from their inaction and unwillingness to take a stand against Gamergate and the rest of the bigots trying to dominate and oppress women and others.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'll let you in on a little secret...

There's a lot of racists out there in the world. You probably know, work, or interact with some and don't realize it.

The current social and political climates just gave them an open door to share their racism with the world without much perceived consequence.

I think this is too reductive and ignores what OP is discussing, which is that white supremacists are now actively and successfully recruiting new blood in a way that they previously could not.

Whenever you put a bunch of white dudes in a room and seal it off from the outside world, you create the conditions for bigotry to breed. The gaming community has been this way for a long time, but it was only recently that the catalyst agent was introduced and the explosion began.

Compared to my time in Gears of War and Halo 3 multiplayer it seems like a ton of people have grown up instead. Youtube and twitter are just giving special children a louder voice and a chance to connect with other simpletons of their ilk.

Man look

The more we make ourselves heard, the louder they get in response. The damn president is a white supremacist so you know it's going to be insane for a good long while

I'll let you in on a little secret...

There's a lot of racists out there in the world. You probably know, work, or interact with some and don't realize it.

Is this supposed to be witty

Gaming is also going hand-in-hand right now with laissez-faire venture capitalists and the hard-core libertarians of the tech industry who like to fight against any sort of regulation of thought, business, or content which is what has really allowed their ideas to flourish in the modern age.

This is a key point. The libertarian dudebro streak in the gaming and tech industry created some of the necessary conditions for this situation. Websites like Reddit that have minimal content moderation and gaming studios that refuse to intervene out of fear of alienating their bigoted audiences are the biggest problem.

I'll never forget the many cowardly game studios that refused to step in or issued lukewarm equivocating responses during Gamergate. It was just like Trump's "many sides" garbage.

I don't understand what you are saying. I am a Hispanic living in the US for 8 years now . I am a gamer. I have not seen any games that I have played with obvious white supremacy propaganda. The things that were found were more "Easter egg" type of hints, like the destiny 2 logo. That type of insinuation does not have any effects on mass population levels in my opinion. If there is one media that I don't think is blatantly "white supremacists" is the videogame itself ( I am not talking about the gamers or people that make the game, which can have their own ideology).

Can you point me one example of a game that is pro white supremacists ? Again, as a Hispanic I have never paid attention to that in games, I have not noticed anything, and I have never felt threatened in any way playing games offline and online. I don't think the problem is the videogame itself. Like any media, it can be manipulated by people with different opinions but I don't see that yet with games pro white supremacists

TyrantII

Kinda. It was looking like they were on deaths doorstep in the late 80s and 90s, they couldn't find a receptive audience.

They took very targeted steps to soften their language, adopt specific PR, and appeal to mainstream political and cultural movements because they knew if they did not, the gig was up for their movement.

There absolutely has been a targeted, very intentional push to weasle their way into disaffected, but somewhat mainstream sub cultures; mainly the far right and hard geek culture. Repackaged racism lite is easier to propagate in these communities due to their tribalism and libertarian streaks respectively.

I wish I could remember the documentary I watched 10 years ago or so, but the leaders of the time specifically laid this all out in it. On their plan to leverage the internet, while softening their language to appeal to a more mainstream, politically viable group that they could eventually co-opt.

It worked.

Yazzees

It's to the point where if I'm on a gaming forum that isn't GAF I just assume everyone posting is right-leaning or alt-right until they show otherwise.

I've witnessed the change in friends of mine myself. People who never cared about this stuff before slowly becoming walking nazi memelords around 2014ish. They were clearly targeted and it was clearly because they were susceptible. Being of middle-eastern descent I've had to taper off contact with a lot of them.

A surprising amount seemed very confused that supporting all kinds of nasty shit targeting minorities was a dealbreaker for me, as if it were as mundane as disagreeing over which dark souls was the worst. Emotional IQ in the gutter, it seems.

DrFurbs

I've been gaming since it was invented. Your talking about a tiny minority. Look hard enough, you'll find associations and relationships between anything.

Dynomutt

They've always been there. The internet and the increase use of social aspects in gaming just making it more evident.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I think this is too reductive and ignores what OP is discussing, which is that white supremacists are now actively and successfully recruiting new blood in a way that they previously could not.

Whenever you put a bunch of white dudes in a room and seal it off from the outside world, you create the conditions for bigotry to breed. The gaming community has been this way for a long time, but it was only recently that the catalyst agent was introduced and the explosion began.

I don't know. I'm not really seeing this explosion.
I think it's just more visible due to how everything is more visible and amplified these days.

Is this supposed to be witty
?
It does sound stupid reading it back though.

I don't understand what you are saying. I am a Hispanic living in the US for 8 years now . I am a gamer. I have not seen any games that I have played with obvious white supremacy propaganda. The things that were found were more "Easter egg" type of hints, like the destiny 2 logo. That type of insinuation does not have any effects on mass population levels in my opinion. If there is one media that I don't think is blatantly "white supremacists" is the videogame itself ( I am not talking about the gamers or people that make the game, which can have their own ideology).

Can you point me one example of a game that is pro white supremacists ?

This topic isn't about games that exist to promote white supremacy.

This is about "gamer" culture being more and more visibly associated with white supremacist/misogynist hate groups and trolls, and the effect this association has on fueling the ranks of white supremacist/nationalist groups like the alt right/Neo-Nazis/KKK.

Purest 78

Possibly the most correct 1st post I've ever seen.

Aters

First time play PUBG, some guy at lobby said he will kill all n******, then he said he will rape all three-year old.

I think white supremacists do not fully describe how disgusting and scary these people are. I never used public mic ever since, but I know I'm playing with some of the shittiest shitheads on earth.

They've always been there. The internet and the increase use of social aspects in gaming just making it more evident.

It goes beyond that. Parts of the internet actively cultivates, promotes, and organizes white supremacy making it worse than ever before.

First post unfortunately wins in this case.

Decider

I'll never forget the many cowardly game studios that refused to step in or issued lukewarm equivocating responses during Gamergate. It was just like Trump's "many sides" garbage.

I'm not really convinced that it was like this at all for larger studios. It simply didn't affect them, so acknowledging it, becoming involved or speaking out against it in the same way that a lot of independent developers actually affected by it did probably would've been an unusual step that would've brought a lot of avoidable drama to their doorstep.

The (alleged) President of the United States and his advisors are actively courting white supremacists. They are closer to a takeover of power than they have been in decades.

It's incredibly dangerous to just wave your hand and act like "It's always been this way." They are growing in strength and recruitment efforts. They killed a god damn protester a month ago and everyone's already forgotten about it.

This predates the "current social and political climate." If anything it has been a precursor to it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Having taken part in the competitive Counter-Strike scene since 2000 or so...nothing is different now.

I grew up playing this game thinking it was normal to throw out racial and homophobic slurs constantly.

Shit is just as bad as it always was. The only thing that can enforce a change is proper moderation to ensure that abusive language results in bans from the games.

This topic isn't about games that exist to promote white supremacy.

This is about "gamer" culture being more and more visibly associated with white supremacist/misogynist hate groups and trolls, and the effect this association has on fueling the ranks of white supremacist/nationalist groups like the alt right/Neo-Nazis/KKK.

I don't think this is a problem of gamimg culture, but a problem of internet itself (Reddit, 4chan..). The fact you are online, anonymous , and be able to say what "you want" brings the worst of people

TyrantII

I think it's just more visible due to how everything is more visible and amplified these days.

?
It does sound stupid reading it back though.

TBF this is mostly true. It's still a very small minority, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. They're loud and they're visible because of it. The internet is a broadcast medium, and their brand knows how to broadcast and microtarget.

It doesn't help that one political party decided they were/are useful tools to retain power (for now) and that foreign governments are licking their chops at helping to spread their message because of the cultural and political disruption they can cause.

That visibly normalizes it and makes it more dangerous as a promotional tool and a way to organize and connect these people.

I'm not really convinced that it was like this at all for larger studios. It simply didn't affect them, so acknowledging it, becoming involved or speaking out against it in the same way that a lot of independent developers actually affected by it did probably would've been an unusual step that would've brought a lot of avoidable drama to their doorstep.

The prevailing thought around that time was to avoid upsetting cash flow. Publishers and marketing departments understand that there's a portion of their consumer base that is hateful, disruptive, and loud, and feel that base is large enough to make a financial impact.

This is what people need to understand. The games industry at large is ok with hatred as long as those people provide profit

TheChaos

I don't think this is a problems of gamimg culture, but a problem of internet itself. The fact you are online, anonymous , and be able to say what "you want" brings the worst of people

Keep in mind video games are lagging behind all other forms of media in terms of diversity. Even superhero comics have gotten a big push to bring more women, POC, LGBTQ people in the more recent years.

Keep in mind video games are lagging behind all other forms of media in terms of diversity. Even superhero comics have gotten a big push to bring more women, POC, LGBTQ people in the more recent years.

But films haven't. Comics are a niche industry not really comparable to games.

Going to echo the sentiments of other posters in this thread, its not that its new, its just that the social aspect of gaming has exposed it.

Kind of like how there was seemingly an uptick in police brutality after everyone started carrying camera's in their pockets, when in reality that had been happening for a long time.

I do think you can make the argument that Trump emboldened them, but gamergate happened before his announcement for president, so the situation was already getting to a boiling point.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
TBF this is mostly true. It's still a very small minority, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. They're loud and they're visible because of it. The internet is a broadcast medium, and their brand knows how to broadcast and microtarget.

It doesn't help that one political party decided they were/are useful tools to retain power (for now) and that foreign governments are licking their chops at helping to spread their message because of the cultural and political disruption they can cause.

That visibly normalizes it and makes it more dangerous as a promotional tool and a way to organize and connect these people.

Yes, but at the same time at least I'm seeing backlash for it when it happens.

TheExodu5

Banned
It would be great for game servers to analyze voice and text chat for abusive language and automatically forward incidents to a moderation team.

rambis

Banned
They've been massive in gaming for years. I was on the OG Xbox being called nigger or faggot or jew or whatever. I doubt the people even knew I was black most of the times cause I never used the headset.

Or, you know, you could attempt to make it a more welcoming place for everyone instead of hiding from it.

Or devs, publishers and platform holders could stop being fucking cowards for once and do their part. I'm tired of fucking being expected to be the educator and the punching bag. Not doing it anymore. They never take any fucking responsibility and they are the number one reason this is even a thing.

Or devs, publishers and platform holders could stop being fucking cowards for once do their part. I'm tired of fucking being expected to be the educator and the punching bad. Not doing it anymore.

I never stated they shouldn't.

They absolutley should do so, many studios (especially indies) are trying.

JusDoIt

Lots of young white men play video games. Lots of young white men believe white men are more important than other people.

None of this is new.

What is new is that demographics and circumstances are changing that don't allow young white men to get their way all of the time, so they've been throwing tantrums.

Or, you know, you could attempt to make it a more welcoming place for everyone instead of hiding from it.

Not my responsibility nor do I care enough. I have seen OP almost universal defending of pdps latest scandal outside of gaf. Seems like the gaming community as a whole has been infected by Pepe and friends.

Yazzees

Relentlessly mocking people who drop n-bombs in csgo has been going great for me. Rather than educating I've seen a lot more success making them just feel stupid and childish for using it. It's a start.

Lime

Shit is not going to chance until the prominent companies and media outlets take a stand

Which they will not ever do, because they think it hurts their economic bottomline

I don't think they're infiltrating. They've been entrenched since the beginnings of online gaming. They were emboldened in online communities that also were nerd gathering sites, so it was kind of natural.

Besides, a lot of people funnily enough don't see themselves as racists or supremacist no matter how dumb they sound. To them, other races are just below them or they have a right to say whatever they want in competitive settings.

Top Bottom