• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It seems like gaming is under seige by white supremacists

Kurdel

Banned
I'm not denying gamergate. This thread was about white supremacy and to my knowledge gamergate had nothing to do with that. And furthermore, is it an organized thing? Other than a shitty hashtag? Once again, not to my knowledge. So my original point still stands. .

Breitbar and other "alt-right" websites specifically targeted gamers with Gamergate articles , this isn't up for debate.

univbee

What the fuck are you talking about. I'm talking about people that only come here to claim that gaming isn't affected by racism. Get your shit together.

Fine but it's just Ouija Luigi, the other Juniors seem to agree there's a problem that needs addressing, from what I can tell.

I see now your original post meant "specific juniors who only show up for these threads" but it didn't read that way initially.

There was most definitely attempts to use GG by white supremacist groups through social media to attract disgruntled, young white males by essentially writing pieces that appealed to their horrible opinions.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. Do you have any links, not to the actual articles obviously but to articles talking about them? I'm genuinely curious.

I would still argue whether this was big or significant enough to be an actual threat to the community. But I need to look into it a bit more.

Fine but it's just Ouija Luigi, the other Juniors seem to agree there's a problem that needs addressing, from what I can tell.

I see now your original post meant "specific juniors who only show up for these threads" but it didn't read that way initially.

I do post on other threads, this is the first of this kind. I was hesitant to take part because I know I have an unpopular opinion, and from what I can tell, gaf can be pretty vindictive. But we are all hear to discuss things, and opinions might differ. Guess we'll just have to live with that.

And honestly, if it's still not clear to everyone, I'm not denying racism or bigotry. Just that I do not see this big threat looming in the sky, waiting to pounce on us.

AYF 001

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. Do you have any links, not to the actual articles obviously but to articles talking about them? I'm genuinely curious.

I would still argue whether this was big or significant enough to be an actual threat to the community. But I need to look into it a bit more.
Here's a video that summarizes how GG was a tool of bannon to weaponize gamers and their memes:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ej_5vyDkZgU

Yeah it really sucks to be playing with a group and then the conversation turns into "f Obama , and I love Trump and are you black, or Latin" (in grosser terms). So annoying.

Shifty1897

I don't think this is a problem of gamimg culture, but a problem of internet itself (Reddit, 4chan..). The fact you are online, anonymous , and be able to say what "you want" brings the worst of people

You hit the nail on the head, my friend. I don't know a solution other than killing anonymity on the internet. Which, obviously, most everyone would have a problem with. The next best thing is promoting a culture of tolerance in the real world in hopes that it flows back into people's actions and words when in front of a computer screen.

univbee

I don't know a solution other than killing anonymity on the internet.

Anonymity isn't the issue, plenty of people will tweet horrible shit or post on Facebook under their real names. This has occasionally ended hilariously when their employer was forwarded what they wrote, but more often than not, nothing of any real consequence happens to the poster, everyone they care about is high-fiving them and the people who are offended are clearly just sensitive snowflakes who are sore about losing the election.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
There was most definitely attempts to use GG by white supremacist groups through social media to attract disgruntled, young white males by essentially writing pieces that appealed to their horrible opinions.

Didn't Stormfront call themselves the internet's number 1 pewdiepie fansite? Or was it some other site?

I do post on other threads, this is the first of this kind. I was hesitant to take part because I know I have an unpopular opinion, and from what I can tell, gaf can be pretty vindictive. But we are all hear to discuss things, and opinions might differ. Guess we'll just have to live with that.

And honestly, if it's still not clear to everyone, I'm not denying racism or bigotry. Just that I do not see this big threat looming in the sky, waiting to pounce on us.

Where have you been? It's already pounced.

Go watch charlottesville footage. We call 'em Nazis but that was a bunch of nerds who play overwatch. Especially the ones in the white polo, khaki pants

This is a long article but pretty comprehensive. I'm not linking articles from the awful Daily Stormer here for obvious reasons. https://www.vox.com/culture/2016/12/14/13576192/alt-right-sexism-recruitment

Here's a video that summarizes how GG was a tool of bannon to weaponize gamers and their memes:

Thanks I'll check it out!

Where have you been? It's already pounced.

Go watch charlottesville footage. We call 'em Nazis but that was a bunch of nerds who play overwatch. Especially the ones in the white polo, khaki pants

Europe, northern part.:p I do know about charlottesville aaand sure some are bound to be gamers, if not most. It' s a popular hobby.

This is a long article but pretty comprehensive. I'm not linking articles from the awful Daily Stormer here for obvious reasons. https://www.vox.com/culture/2016/12/14/13576192/alt-right-sexism-recruitment

Thanks, I'll read it when I get a chance!

Mesoian

Sam B did a piece on it on Full Frontal.

Don't be embarrassed by gamers, be embarrassed by humanity.

Oh, you need to do both.

Name the people in this thread that you believe are effectively hallucinating their experiences of bigotry. Because that is your argument here: that a prior surity of belief is leading to false perceptions.

I'm not going to name names. That commment was meant to be more generalized. I could have worded it better, be less provocative, that I'll admit.

Well I watched the video and read the article (and quite a few linked articles too) and color me learned, I never knew of those connections between gamer gate and alt-right, nor how active it actually is. I have always dismissed gamer gate as just a shitty hash tag, I did know it was pretty much bull shit right from the get go because the whole thing sprung from a douchey ex. I guess that is why I had dismissed it and it has never been such a big issue in my neck of the woods anyway.

But yes, you guys were right, there is organization behind all of this. I would still like to believe that the average gamer is intelligent enough not to fall for this shit and the ones that do are on the fringe. Just that the majority is silent, while the fringe gets loud and political.

As for how to thwart this hate, I really can't say. But I do know that throwing more hate in to the mix will only make people dig more into their trenches and a divide just grows larger. Those who are in deep probably won't respond to anything contrary to their beliefs, but there a lot of people on the verge. Maybe open dialog with them?

Tough question.

Gaming had white supremacists from jump. Who else you think are calling people the N word on Xbox Live?

Since Charlottesville have seen a large uptick in people equating racists with white supremacists. Now obviously the two go hand in hand but it seems that white supremacists typically have a political goal such as white dominance over other races, or separation from other races, etc..while racists are just plain racist but aren't active in any political group trying to directly oppress.

Now of course the actions of racists, and racism does serve to oppress minorities and assist white supremacist causes just by their very nature. I don't deny that.

Now all those 13 your kids saying the N word on Xbox Live? Are they racist? Yes, are they white supremacists? I guess that depends on how you define it, in a sense yes. But in the politically organized sense they are not. I don't think it is wise to push them to seek refuge with actual white supremacist groups.

I hope white supremacy isn't just the new buzzword to attack people with.

This is a big issue in gaming culture, and it needs to be addressed. But I feel a lot of it stems from racism and teens trying to be edge-lords, more than a concerted effort by organized neo nazi groups with a political agenda. I'm sure WS groups do like to prey-upon racism in gaming culture when they can though.

There's an interesting Last Podcast on the Left where they talk about reading the daily stormer and how a lot of the threads are pretty much what you would find on any other nerd culture centric forum with all the added white supremacy.

Or if you watch hbomberguy vids on alt-right YouTubers he mentions a lot of them are big into fantasy books, video games, movies, etc. I think people trying to downplay that it's not just video games/whatever other "nerdy" activity should realize that there's a lot of focus around those interests because neo Nazis know they can get support from those communities. As other people have pointed out, GG being coopted (and started really) by the alt right should be a big tip off that gaming has a problem because even a smaller number of very vocal and visible racists is still an issue not worth ignoring.

Gator86

I'm not going to deny that there are some genuinely bad people in the gaming community, racists, homophobes, bigoted etc. men and women. But I also don't see this perceived threat that the op is about. To me it seems that some people are actively trying to find these elements everywhere, simply because they are so sure that it exists and in turn see it everywhere.

Videogames, like any media, has always been used to propagate all kinds of ideologies, there's nothing new in that. Yes, there are politically charged and racist videogames, but those are so niche that you would have to actively search for them in order to play them. Not to mention that they are anything but subtle with their message and anyone with a half a brain sees what their aim is. So hardly a recruitment tool there.

When it comes to community, I see what you mean but I disagree with the severity of it. The videogame community is big and consists of individuals, with different cultures, creeds and thoughts. This means there has never been an agreed upon set of rules for this community. You play videogames, you are part of the community, that is the only initiation. It means we are free to be who we are and unfortunately this also means that people are free (but not free of consequences) to be abusive and outright bad, but in the end, it always comes down to individuals. I have yet to see that there is any actual organization that actively propagate these evil ideas in the community, or if there is, it's small and insignificant. The kind of people those types of communities attract are pretty much douchebag edgelords to begin with. Most experiences I've had tell me that there are mostly good people in the community who would spot such bullshit a mile away.

And I do draw a distinction between an actual neonazi and some stupid kid yelling slurs in voice chat. The other implies hardlining political and ideological views while the other is just an idiot. Racist idiot perhaps, but just an idiot and is no threat to anyone.

Maybe I've just been lucky when it comes to gaming experiences, but I just don't see any cause for this alarmist attitude.

You should ask a non-white person whether they're alarmed. Exposure to discrimination and toxic stress is one of the factors underlying disparities in life expectancies between White and Black individuals in America. Sure, being exposed to that type of shit all the time literally kills minorities, but no threat at all.

This post is like a blindingly-bright billboard for white privilege.

thumb

Banned
I'm not going to name names. That commment was meant to be more generalized. I could have worded it better, be less provocative, that I'll admit.

I'm glad you're ready to acknowledge that. But I would like you to think about the fact that you effectively accused a large group of people of being deluded. Not because you had objective access to their collective experiences, or because you had signifcant counter evidence, but simply because you decided that your own subjective experience was likely authoritative. And you decided it would remain as such until someone could prove otherwise, with stronger evidence than you used to dismiss their own subjective experiences.

It is this sort of attitude which is a major problem for conquering the issue we are discussing, an arguably larger one than the far-gone people already lost to hate.

Starviper

I'm not going to deny that there are some genuinely bad people in the gaming community, racists, homophobes, bigoted etc. men and women. But I also don't see this perceived threat that the op is about. To me it seems that some people are actively trying to find these elements everywhere, simply because they are so sure that it exists and in turn see it everywhere.

Videogames, like any media, has always been used to propagate all kinds of ideologies, there's nothing new in that. Yes, there are politically charged and racist videogames, but those are so niche that you would have to actively search for them in order to play them. Not to mention that they are anything but subtle with their message and anyone with a half a brain sees what their aim is. So hardly a recruitment tool there.

When it comes to community, I see what you mean but I disagree with the severity of it. The videogame community is big and consists of individuals, with different cultures, creeds and thoughts. This means there has never been an agreed upon set of rules for this community. You play videogames, you are part of the community, that is the only initiation. It means we are free to be who we are and unfortunately this also means that people are free (but not free of consequences) to be abusive and outright bad, but in the end, it always comes down to individuals. I have yet to see that there is any actual organization that actively propagate these evil ideas in the community, or if there is, it's small and insignificant. The kind of people those types of communities attract are pretty much douchebag edgelords to begin with. Most experiences I've had tell me that there are mostly good people in the community who would spot such bullshit a mile away.

And I do draw a distinction between an actual neonazi and some stupid kid yelling slurs in voice chat. The other implies hardlining political and ideological views while the other is just an idiot. Racist idiot perhaps, but just an idiot and is no threat to anyone.

Maybe I've just been lucky when it comes to gaming experiences, but I just don't see any cause for this alarmist attitude.

Normalizing the negative behavior is what really made the problem such a big one today. Your way of thinking about the issue really reads like none of this affects you in any way. Honestly, i'm so glad Blizzard is moving more in the right direction with their reporting system and I really hope more games add something like it. PUBG is such a cess pit when the game starts. Gotta take off my headphones most of the time because even though it doesn't affect me hearing people chant hate filled words over and over sucks.

R0ckman

Seems like they were always around, but only occasionally would one test the waters with their antics online. Most people stay out of it, anytime on mic or chat where I would go against a racist, I would get labled just as bad and get "both sidsed."

JWiLL

Banned
The term "White Supremacist" is being thrown around a bit too casually these days.

My Quake 2 lobbies back in the year 2000 were filled with random racist comments too, this isn't a new phenomenon.

I'm not trying to downplay how wrong it is, and these people are assholes, but I feel like there's a difference between some idiots using racist terms anonymously online and being "white supremacists".

Vlade

I fully believe gaming communities have tolerated (if not welcomed) racists for decades, but I've yet to really see evidence of an organized and funded movement with leadership taking these steps. Got any examples? Gamergate was certainly a thing, but it looked more like an idiotic conspiracy theory that like-minded morons rallied around.

Burner accounts, swarming of vote-for-play sites, 'celebrity' support, unity of argument for advancement of the thought (say, "middle ground" or "difference in view") that is common to what is seen here on places like neogaf as well as to set up rallies like Charlottesville. that's quite a convergence of language given that we started with political issue words, and now have words directed at obfuscating the intent behind rallies. hell, rallies moving to very public spaces. im not saying gaming originated the movement, or the movement spawned the attitude in gaming. im saying gaming seems to be affected in a new way.

the tactics have come in waves as well, but seem to stay common across many seemingly independent places in media. They (the tactics of white supremacist ideology) seem much more politically effective now than, say, 10 years ago. it was quite a lot about shifting the window of what makes acceptable discourse following gabbergame. it has been a lot about gaslighting lately to best allow for doubt that someone is acting maliciously (since the action across the country seems to have stepped up as well).

The fact that useful idiots accumulate isn't what drives the movement. the movement is driven to accumulate useful idiots.

I don't think saying these things is really much of a conspiracy theory. Maybe if I said it was because Russia would like to destabilize our democracy by showing how easily influenced the public is. maybe if I said it was because china wanted to make westerners mistrust westerners. maybe if I said it was because xenu wants you to cleanse yourself of the illusion that clouds your perception. I don't need to have the foggiest idea why to be unsatisfied with the trend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Gator86

The term "White Supremacist" is being thrown around a bit too casually these days.

My Quake 2 lobbies back in the year 2000 were filled with random racist comments too, this isn't a new phenomenon.

I'm not trying to downplay how wrong it is, and these people are assholes, but I feel like there's a difference between some idiots using racist terms anonymously online and being "white supremacists".

Overly generalized use of terms that imply a lack of racially egalitarian attitudes are worse than actual racism. You're right!

If you go around throwing racial slurs and using those terms as pejoratives for unrelated behaviors, remind us how that's not contributing to the continued marginalization and oppression of minorities.

These discussions inevitably wind up on what threshold of behavior is required to be a "racist" so people can downplay and excuse behavior that contributes to systemic social inequalities.

You hit the nail on the head, my friend. I don't know a solution other than killing anonymity on the internet. Which, obviously, most everyone would have a problem with. The next best thing is promoting a culture of tolerance in the real world in hopes that it flows back into people's actions and words when in front of a computer screen.

Killing anonymity on the internet is the worst possible thing that could happen, racism has existed on the internet long before gaming embraced it. Anonymous internet has been a huge driving force for positive change, people so gladly giving it up is disturbing.

These discussions inevitably wind up on what threshold of behavior is required to be a "racist" so people can downplay and excuse behavior that contributes to systemic social inequalities.
If we're being hyperbolic reductionist, discussing systemic social inequalities on the internet is hypocritical and a waste of time.

I think it's nerd culture in general.
Gaming has been mainstream for over a decade. Nerd culture has nothing to do with it.

DrFurbs

Extremely THIS.

kids this days look for things to be offended about. If someone uses racist language to me, I block or ignore them and get on with my life.

autoduelist

The term has definitely changed in meaning. Years ago, it was reserved for those who were actively part of various hate groups that sought a litany of racially divisive policies. Many mixed this with national identity, hence white nationalists. Racial impurity and other nonsense play a big role. In general, though, the various terms were saved for those actively pushing their agenda in an organized manner - members of various neo-nazi groups and other variants.

Now it's thrown around to describe a rather wide range of behavior, like:

Gaming had white supremacists from jump. Who else you think are calling people the N word on Xbox Live?

Ignorant jerks, mostly, that don't realize how awful they are being. Some racists. Some white supremacists, too, I'm sure. The use of the N word isn't reserved for white supremacists.

Unfortunately for all, that means it gets used way too often. Fortunately for all, that also means there are far less 'invested' white supremacists [at least by the definition used only a few years ago] than some might suggest.

Casual racism is a thing, and lumping everyone into the 'worst case group' doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't help. It doesn't fix things. In fact, misunderstanding the motivation makes it far harder to deal with. Someone being casually racist can be spoken to, and their mind opened. They might not realize how hurtful they're being, or simply may never have been exposed to a different way of thinking. Some don't even consider whatever they're doing racism, or may think getting a rise out of people is funny. This is much different from people fully indoctrinated and/or politically grounded that actively seek racially charged agendas, who are much harder to sway.

I'm glad you're ready to acknowledge that. But I would like you to think about the fact that you effectively accused a large group of people of being deluded. Not because you had objective access to their collective experiences, or because you had signifcant counter evidence, but simply because you decided that your own subjective experience was likely authoritative. And you decided it would remain as such until someone could prove otherwise, with stronger evidence than you used to dismiss their own subjective experiences.

It is this sort of attitude which is a major problem for conquering the issue we are discussing, an arguably larger one than the far-gone people already lost to hate.

I think you are reading too much into that one sentence. I meant no disrespect by it, simply that if you really want to find something, you will, whether it is truly there or not. Human mind is a wondrous thing.

I do disagree with you though. There is a difference, it was claimed that there exists systematic racism in the gaming community. Where as my position was that I had not seen any evidence of it. Therefore it is up for those who make the claim to provide proof, otherwise I am well in my right to hold on to my own perception. (Proof that was given by the way.) I'm sure many people have experiences of abuse, be it racism, sexism or any other form of bigotry, and I would not have any issues in believing it.

But yes, I meant no ill will.

Gator86

Extremely THIS.

kids this days look for things to be offended about. If someone uses racist language to me, I block or ignore them and get on with my life.

Educate yourself. A considerable body of literature suggests the effects of chronic exposure to prejudice and discrimination is one of the factors that promotes racial health inequalities. Kids these days always offended that some people die a decade earlier purely for being born with darker skin.

gattsu

Too many immature weirdos in gaming. It's always attracted outsiders, nerds, and the scum that comes with some weirdos like that. Not to say they all are. I was a quiet nerd once too. But I had some quiet nerdy weird friends growing up that were pieces of shit when I look back retroactively, and they are probably racist 4chan kekistaners today, whatever. Cut those idiots out of my life long ago. Good to have open discussions about this kind of stuff so we can agree that behavior isn't condoned or accepted by gamers as a whole. Or at least try to. People who think it's a joke are mistaken, there is no middle ground with this kind of crap. You either denounce it, or accept it. Gotta choose your side.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
This is why I'm so proud to work on Overwatch. Our team knows the right side of history.

I do take exception with your idea that there is little to no quality control in the industry. It's the kind of conclusion drawn from being outside of it, and is not reflective of the actual state of the industry.

Normalizing the negative behavior is what really made the problem such a big one today. Your way of thinking about the issue really reads like none of this affects you in any way. Honestly, i'm so glad Blizzard is moving more in the right direction with their reporting system and I really hope more games add something like it. PUBG is such a cess pit when the game starts. Gotta take off my headphones most of the time because even though it doesn't affect me hearing people chant hate filled words over and over sucks.

Honestly, I've not seen it that much. Maybe it's the choice of games and communities ghat have kept me from most of it. I don't really play any online fps games for example, where this seems to be most prevalent. Apart from some siege, but that was with a fixed group mostly.

But once again, I'm not claiming that racism and bigotry doesn't exist in the gaming community. And I sure as hell am not for normalizing it. Rather my post was about the thread, rise of white supremacy amongst gamers.

thumb

Banned
This is why I'm so proud to work on Overwatch. Our team knows the right side of history.

I do take exception with your idea that there is little to no quality control in the industry. It's the kind of conclusion drawn from being outside of it, and is not reflective of the actual state of the industry.

I believe you when you talk about where your team's heart is. But heart doesn't necessarily dictate how engineering time is allocated. Specifically, Overwatch released in May 2016. Why is there only now a reporting system for console? It is hard not to conclude that community toxicity has taken a back seat until pretty recently.

Mesoian

I am not saying you are wrong, but the world is bigger than just the USA you know?

It's perfectly fine in here Asia.

271.gif

Yo South Korea used starcraft as a campaign tool. What are you on about?

I mean...you're heart's in the right place, but dang man, that post from your boss last month was DAMNING.

Bold One

White people have had quite some time since slavery to correct the fundamental problems in this country.

Instead, you elected Donald Trump.

63 million votes.

If your response is to clarify that not all 63 million votes were by white people, then you are a part of the problem.

I don't know what a solution to our issues looks like, but I don't think we're getting closer to it. At the end of the day, the vast majority of the people from whom action is required to effect change simply don't perceive enough of an issue to warrant the necessary effort. You just stick your head in the sand, and maybe participate in meaningless debates on forums about free speech and how "all lives matter."
No lies detected

Ozigizo

There's no difference.

There's no in-between with racism.

Gator86

White people have had quite some time since slavery to correct the fundamental problems in this country.

Instead, you elected Donald Trump.

63 million votes.

If your response is to clarify that not all 63 million votes were by white people, then you are a part of the problem.

I don't know what a solution to our issues looks like, but I don't think we're getting closer to it. At the end of the day, the vast majority of the people from whom action is required to effect change simply don't perceive enough of an issue to warrant the necessary effort. You just stick your head in the sand, and maybe participate in meaningless debates on forums about free speech and how "all lives matter."

Basically. In America, White feelings will always matter more than non-White lives.

Top Bottom