• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki didn't leave Tecmo, he was fired

Naruto

This morning about 10:00 a.m. Tokyo Time, the second round of oral arguments for the Itagaki vs. Tecmo case commenced. As we broke early last month, Dead or Alive creator Tomonobu Itagaki left Tecmo and filed suit for unpaid bonuses. As Itagaki stated then, "President Yoshimi Yasuda chose not only to violate this agreement, but also turned defiant, telling me 'if you are dissatisfied with the decision not to pay the bonuses, either quit the company or sue it.'"

In a statement Itagaki released today, he has now increased his claim for damages against Tecmo from the previously announced figure of 148,000,000 yen to 164,000,095 yen. In American money, that's an increase from $1.38 million to $1.53 million. The reason for the increase is due to new developments in the case Itagaki revealed today.

In the statement Itagaki released in early June, he announced that he would be leaving Tecmo on July 1st. However, today it came to light that Itagaki was actually fired from Tecmo on June 18th — only weeks after he announced the suit. It's obviously possible to assume this termination was in retaliation to the lawsuit over bonuses he claimed he deserved. What's more, this preemptive act on Tecmo's part could also be seen as a way for the company to get out of paying Itagaki his fixed summer bonus and yearly incentives. According to Itagaki's statement released today, those were to be paid on June 30th. They of course were not.

Apparently, no reason was given for Itagaki's termination, and according to him, he was "terminated without reasonable cause." The claim increase Itagaki is asking for simply reflects the wages he should have earned at the end of this June had he not been fired by the company. Under Japanese law, Itagaki can also claim 14.6 percent per year back interest for the Dead or Alive 4 unpaid wages and bonuses. Itagaki has said he plans to do so.

:lol - It's clicky.

eznark

Banned
to me reasonable cause would be that you announced to the world you were leaving in a month. I wouldn't let the guy recruit for his next project from within either.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The title doesn't really tell the same story as the article does; he was fired after announcing he was leaving Tecmo.

eznark said:
to me reasonable cause would be that you announced to the world you were leaving in a month. I wouldn't let the guy recruit for his next project from within either.

yeah if any asshole worker thinks he has the right to quit my company, i'd fire him on the spot too! the only rights workers have are to work for me or get their ass out on the street! and don't get me started on those pinko unionizers!

batbeg

eznark said:

I doubt you can be fired because you handed in a resignation. Something about that just doesn't sit right.

ari.jpg

Mohonky

Sounds like Tecmo fucked themselves royally here. If thats all true, I hope Itagaki sticks it to them.

......and Microsoft gives Itagaki his own studio

Chittagong

Gold Member
large_Carell.JPG

J: "Michael, you fired Itagaki when he was trying to quit?"

M: "I did... major personel crisis averted, compliment accepted."

J: "Do you realize, Michael, that we now have to pay him severance?"

M: "Yes... but you realize that that was actually Dwight's idea?"

RBH

Chittagong said:
large_Carell.JPG

Well played. :lol

botticus

Stumpokapow said:
The title doesn't really tell the same story as the article does; he was fired after announcing he was leaving Tecmo.

yeah if any asshole worker thinks he has the right to quit my company, i'd fire him on the spot too! the only rights workers have are to work for me or get their ass out on the street! and don't get me started on those pinko unionizers!
You wouldn't fire an employee who sued you?

Does Japan have at-will employment like the US, where no cause is necessary to quit or to be terminated?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
botticus said:
You wouldn't fire an employee who sued you?

I would not fire an employee who signified their notice to quit unless I had strong evidence that they were guilty of gross incompetence (which Itagaki is clearly not) or an actual crime against the company. It is always a bad-faith move to fire and employee who has signified their intention to quit.

Does Japan have at-will employment like the US, where no cause is necessary to quit or to be terminated?

Whether or not the law allows a corporate to fuck an employee does not excuse the behaviour. It was not illegal for McDonalds to shut down an entire store after a unionization drive passed, but it sure is anti-labour and disgusting. It is not illegal for corporations to do production in countries with no environmental or safety standards, but it is repugnant.

Hell, there are still jurisdictions in the world that allow hiring discrimination and wage discrimination on the basis of gender or race, but the fact that companies can do it does not mean it's an appropriate move.

Judging from the fact that Itagaki has amended his suit to include a wrongful dismissal claim, it seems likely that Japanese corporations do not have the right to terminate without cause (or, alternatively, that they do but they do not have the right to terminate in the case of certain specific causes and Itagaki feels he has enough evidence to press that his situation falls under one of those causes)

Chittagong said:
large_Carell.JPG

Was looking for that.

eznark

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I would not fire an employee who signified their notice to quit unless I had strong evidence that they were guilty of gross incompetence (which Itagaki is clearly not) or an actual crime against the company. It is always a bad-faith move to fire and employee who has signified their intention to quit.

I don't think you can say "always" about any personnel decisions. For example, when an employee in a sales position indicates they are leaving the company, it's not uncommon to remove that individual from their normal duties, or simple request they not return to the office (while still paying them) due to the nature of the work (potentially taking their customers with them).

A creative atmosphere would seem to me to be similar. Itagaki obviously is not going to leave the industry, so it seems prudent Tecmo would not want him around for a month poaching talent for whatever his next endeavor may be on company time. While "firing" him was probably imprudent, not allowing him on premises while continuing to pay him is not outside the norm.

However, we don't really have any of those details so it's difficult if this is Michael Scott .gif worthy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
eznark said:
I don't think you can say "always" about any personnel decisions. For example, when an employee in a sales position indicates they are leaving the company, it's not uncommon to remove that individual from their normal duties, or simple request they not return to the office (while still paying them) due to the nature of the work (potentially taking their customers with them).

A creative atmosphere would seem to me to be similar. Itagaki obviously is not going to leave the industry, so it seems prudent Tecmo would not want him around for a month poaching talent for whatever his next endeavor may be on company time. While "firing" him was probably imprudent, not allowing him on premises while continuing to pay him is not outside the norm.

Indeed, it's downright customary that when someone in certain positions quits, the company waives their requirement to work during the notice period and asks them not to return. But I think the absence of more information, we should read "Tecmo fired Itagaki right after he quit" as "Tecmo fired Itagaki right after he quit" not "Tecmo wanted to let Itagaki quit but then wouldn't stay home for the two weeks and instead decided to engage in industrial sabotage"...

... especially given that Tecmo's labor union heads are also suing the company with virtually the same allegations as Itagaki is, I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the collective body of employees rather than senior management.

loosus

Banned
Under Japanese law, you have to have reasonable cause to fire someone? That's fucking stupid. As long as it's not race, creed, age, etc. related, I think you should be able to fire someone for ANY or NO reason.

dionysus

Yaldog
What are yall talking about? It is pretty standard for when employees give their notice to be told to go home and not come back.

However, most companies will pay you your two weeks even if you aren't working.

Check out kotaku for even more drama. Apparently the NG2 producer secretly TAPED a conversation between himself and Yosuda (Tecmo President) where Yosuda claims that the board approved the bonuses for DOA4 - while officially he was always saying that the former president made the agreement by himself. Entertainment pure.

Itagaki also has more evidence. Hes holding "Y" pretty long right now :D

Wait, how much did Itagaki make? lol

In a statement Itagaki released today, he has now increased his claim for damages against Tecmo from the previously announced figure of 148,000,000 yen to 164,000,095 yen. In American money, that's an increase from $1.38 million to $1.53 million.

In the statement Itagaki released in early June, he announced that he would be leaving Tecmo on July 1st. However, today it came to light that Itagaki was actually fired from Tecmo on June 18th...

...The claim increase Itagaki is asking for simply reflects the wages he should have earned at the end of this June had he not been fired by the company.

So, he increased the suit by $150,000 because that's the wage he would have earned from June 18th to July 1st?

So my man is making a shade over $300,000 per month roughly? ~$3,600,000 per year in just salary?

Damn, I need to get into game design.

MCD

Hellraizer said:
Check out kotaku for even more drama. Apparently the NG2 producer secretly TAPED a conversation between himself and Yosuda (Tecmo President) where Yosuda claims that the board approved the bonuses for DOA4 - while officially he was always saying that the former president made the agreement by himself. Entertainment pure.

Itagaki also has more evidence. Hes holding "Y" pretty long right now :D
such is the way of the master ninja.

sonicmj1

gregor7777 said:
Wait, how much did Itagaki make? lol

So, he increased the suit by $150,000 because that's the wage he would have earned from June 18th to July 1st?

So my man is making a shade over $300,000 per month roughly? ~$3,600,000 per year in just salary?

Damn, I need to get into game design.

What's more, this preemptive act on Tecmo's part could also be seen as a way for the company to get out of paying Itagaki his fixed summer bonus and yearly incentives.

He doesn't get this every month.

Azih

gregor7777 said:
Read the article dude, Itagaki was due for a summer bonus on June 30th that Tecmo tried to get out of by firing him.

Edit: beated.

ElNino

loosus said:
Under Japanese law, you have to have reasonable cause to fire someone? That's fucking stupid. As long as it's not race, creed, age, etc. related, I think you should be able to fire someone for ANY or NO reason.
Let's all hope you never end up in a management position. :D

Seriously though, I don't believe it is legal to fire someone without reason outside of the probationary period (usually three months)... at least it has not been in any company I have worked for.

sonicmj1 said:
He doesn't get this every month.

I believe you read that wrong. The increase is simply wages, as was commented on.

EDIT: perhaps the term 'wages' is including bonuses? That's not how I would have referred to them, but perhaps I'm the one one who read it wrong.

Azih

gregor7777 said:
I believe you read that wrong. The increase is simply wages, as was commented on.

EDIT: perhaps the term 'wages' is including bonuses? That's not how I would have referred to them, but perhaps I'm the one one who read it wrong.
What's more, this preemptive act on Tecmo's part could also be seen as a way for the company to get out of paying Itagaki his fixed summer bonus and yearly incentives. According to Itagaki's statement released today, those were to be paid on June 30th. They of course were not.

Azih said:

Right, but I'm saying those are two separate things. I fully understand he was supposed to be paid the bonuses, which as I understand it, are what makes up for the bulk of the money asked in the suit. However, the additional money he is asking for now, appears to be just 'wages' or what I would call salary.

...The claim increase Itagaki is asking for simply reflects the wages he should have earned at the end of this June had he not been fired by the company.

Pimpwerx

When I first heard this story, this is what I said. Most resignations that come out of the blue are forced. You're given an ultimatum, resign or be fired. Getting fired may get you unemployment, but it's not gonna give you any recommendations. Not like Itagaki needs one anyway.

Anyway, with the lawsuit from other members of the company, I'm thinking Tecmo was just doing really bad business. You don't screw your employees, and it seems they were. I figured Itagaki for a cry-baby b/c of the sex lawsuits, but I'm guess now that he's got legit beef, as do others. WTF is wrong with Tecmo? PEACE.

bj00rn_

Banned
dionysus said:
It is pretty standard for when employees give their notice to be told to go home and not come back

Maybe in the US they will tell you to go home, I don't know. But in my experience it's not always like that. In fact, last year when my employer found out that I had been in a job interview they even offered me better pay to not leave. That's what Tecmo should've done as well (Pay him better instead of "firing" him).

Doubledex

Banned
Naruto said:
This morning about 10:00 a.m. Tokyo Time, the second round of oral arguments for the Itagaki vs. Tecmo case commenced. As we broke early last month, Dead or Alive creator Tomonobu Itagaki left Tecmo and filed suit for unpaid bonuses. As Itagaki stated then, "President Yoshimi Yasuda chose not only to violate this agreement, but also turned defiant, telling me 'if you are dissatisfied with the decision not to pay the bonuses, either quit the company or sue it.'"

In a statement Itagaki released today, he has now increased his claim for damages against Tecmo from the previously announced figure of 148,000,000 yen to 164,000,095 yen. In American money, that's an increase from $1.38 million to $1.53 million. The reason for the increase is due to new developments in the case Itagaki revealed today.

In the statement Itagaki released in early June, he announced that he would be leaving Tecmo on July 1st. However, today it came to light that Itagaki was actually fired from Tecmo on June 18th — only weeks after he announced the suit. It's obviously possible to assume this termination was in retaliation to the lawsuit over bonuses he claimed he deserved. What's more, this preemptive act on Tecmo's part could also be seen as a way for the company to get out of paying Itagaki his fixed summer bonus and yearly incentives. According to Itagaki's statement released today, those were to be paid on June 30th. They of course were not.

Apparently, no reason was given for Itagaki's termination, and according to him, he was "terminated without reasonable cause." The claim increase Itagaki is asking for simply reflects the wages he should have earned at the end of this June had he not been fired by the company. Under Japanese law, Itagaki can also claim 14.6 percent per year back interest for the Dead or Alive 4 unpaid wages and bonuses. Itagaki has said he plans to do so.

:lol - It's clicky.
Itagaki lies as always ;-p Sure he was fired :D

bj00rn_ said:
Maybe in the US they will tell you to go home, I don't know. But in my experience it's not always like that. In fact, last year when my employer found out that I had been in a job interview they even offered me better pay to not leave. That's what Tecmo should've done as well (Pay him better instead of "firing" him).

I've put in several two week notices (here in the US) and sure as hell haven't been told to "go home and not come back". :lol

Usually I gotta find and train the motherfucker that will replace me.

Doubledex said:
Itagaki lies as always ;-p Sure he was fired :D

What were his other lies?

Mamesj

Banned
really smart move to fire the guy with the high profile lawsuit against you. :lol I don't care if they need reasonable cause or not-- in this situation, it looks horrible.

and holy shit Itagaki seems to have them by the balls--but then again he has had them by the balls since DoA1 came out.

At this point, I can't wait to see where he goes next.

Top Bottom