• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki didn't leave Tecmo, he was fired

TrueReligion said:
ruh oh. This is probably the beginning of the end for Tecmo.

Not necessarily. By the sounds of it, he was the one who caused this mess and his removal is likely to be welcomed by most at Tecmo.

Cosmonaut X said:
Not necessarily. By the sounds of it, he was the one who caused this mess and his removal is likely to be welcomed by most at Tecmo.
That may be true, but they still have a major lawsuit to deal with. Things aren't looking good for them.

slade said:
What are Itagaki's chances of finding work in Japan again when this all ends? Everything I've ever read about Japanese society and to be honest it isn't a lot, has always stated that they are rigid and structured and in terms of work that applies twice over. How is what Itagaki is doing now going to play out with other companies who might consider him too much of a loose cannon?
Who knows? maybe Microsoft will hire him.

slade

What are Itagaki's chances of finding work in Japan again when this all ends? Everything I've ever read about Japanese society and to be honest it isn't a lot, has always stated that they are rigid and structured and in terms of work that applies twice over. How is what Itagaki is doing now going to play out with other companies who might consider him too much of a loose cannon?

PacoDG

slade said:

Come to America or Microsoft pays him and he still works from Japan

He is a moneymaker for whoever grabs him.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
How is what Itagaki is doing now going to play out with other companies who might consider him too much of a loose cannon?

you think other companies looking at this are thinking Itagaki is the bad guy when it looks pretty clear cut he and his team got hosed?

Zoc

DCharlie said:
you think other companies looking at this are thinking Itagaki is the bad guy when it looks pretty clear cut he and his team got hosed?

In Japan? Nobody takes the side of the underdog there.

herod

I don't see how they had any choice but to fire him, if only to protect their IP and shareholders.

I hope he was marched out of the door by security on the day he announced this stuff too, it's how I would expect to be treated by pulling a similar stunt.

In the UK we have a thing called customs and practice. If Tecmo suddenly stopped paying bonus and royalties for overtime it would be one thing, but it seems like it was the norm.

MrHicks

Banned
loosus said:
Under Japanese law, you have to have reasonable cause to fire someone? That's fucking stupid. As long as it's not race, creed, age, etc. related, I think you should be able to fire someone for ANY or NO reason.

how is that stupid?
over here its the same (belgium) if a boss fires you without good reason you can go complain to your union (every worker is in a union) and the union will defend your rights and take the employer to court

either the employer gives a good reason or has to rehire you (or a huge fine)

its social security dude

Zoc

duckroll said:
I think he would know better, since he's actually living and working there right now. :)

I live in Tokyo and work in Akihabara. Have for five years. You don't have to watch TV or speak to people long here before you realize that the attitude towards someone who was fired or quit is always "why, how did you fuck up?"

People believe that ANY workplace situation can be worked through, and harmony restored. So, since actually firing anyone outright in Japan is next to impossible, if someone does leave it must be the employee's fault, and it must be because they were impatient or pushy (cardinal sins).

10mvg2x.jpg

"I am prepared to reveal this evidence as the need arises for the sake of greater justice."

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
a Master Ninja said:
10mvg2x.jpg

"I am prepared to reveal this evidence as the need arises for the sake of greater justice."
Too much work went into this to not comment on it.

Good job :lol

Aselith

Hellraizer said:
Check out kotaku for even more drama. Apparently the NG2 producer secretly TAPED a conversation between himself and Yosuda (Tecmo President) where Yosuda claims that the board approved the bonuses for DOA4 - while officially he was always saying that the former president made the agreement by himself. Entertainment pure.

Itagaki also has more evidence. Hes holding "Y" pretty long right now :D

That wouldn't be admissable as evidence would it? I guess that's why he's taking it to the court of public opinion.

NameIess

You guys love slowing down to see the accident...
Now Itagaki will be hired by Sony and he will say the PS3 is the greatest platform in videogame history. LOL!

Axalon

a Master Ninja said:
10mvg2x.jpg

This HAS to be made as a homebrew title. Okay DeveloperGAF, who's interested?

Mamesj said:
Amazing pic Master Ninja. :lol
Just gotta clear up that I did not make that pic, I just love posting it.
Troidal said:
Looks like Tecmo shares dropped with the resignation of Yasuda. The article also mentions that the previous president before Yasuda also filed a lawsuit since the company did not pay him retirement compensation (but the case was settled March this year). Man, this company really likes to rip people off...?
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20080821-00000007-tcb-biz
Oh wow.

Troidal said:
Looks like Tecmo shares dropped with the resignation of Yasuda. The article also mentions that the previous president before Yasuda also filed a lawsuit since the company did not pay him retirement compensation (but the case was settled March this year). Man, this company really likes to rip people off...?

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20080821-00000007-tcb-biz
wow, i guess that's one way to stay in business, rip off all your employees...

Top Bottom