• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki didn't leave Tecmo, he was fired

bumpkin

botticus said:
You wouldn't fire an employee who sued you?

Does Japan have at-will employment like the US, where no cause is necessary to quit or to be terminated?
I know in this state (New Hampshire), it's against the law to fire an employee who has a suit against the company. Not sure how other states are in that regard... The only problem is it's really difficult to prove. Companies know better than to just outright say "you're fired because you're suing us." They usually resort to finding any excuse they can to nitpick your job performance and find grounds to can you.

Zenith

Banned
people should really read the articles. I think Itagaki's a douche but it looks like so was everyone at Tecmo.

http://kotaku.com/5028137/secret-tecmo-tapes-reveal-number-of-the-beast-insulting-tecmo-president

And during this meeting, current president Yasuda admits that the special bonus incentive had in fact been submitted and approved by the board of directors before he became president and while he was still section director. Yasuda says that the special incentive scheme had been discussed and a ringi (a type of Japanese corporate approval form) had been signed by the board of directors. This is in direct conflict with Yasuda's court claim that this "special incentives" proposal was made single-handedly by the former president and not approved by the Tecmo board. Therefore, it is invalid. The recording helps support Itagaki's claim that this special incentive bonus was approved by Tecmo's former president and the board of directors, and that the current president knows this.

Also, during the conversation, Yasuda called Itagaki a "money grubber" because of the developer's desire to be paid incentives that had been approved by Tecmo. Yet in court, Yasuda has denied calling Itagaki a "money grubber." In Itagaki's statement, the game designer says that this audio recording is only a small part of concrete evidence he has. "I am prepared to reveal this evidence as the need arises for the sake of greater justice," Itagaki states.

for greater justice.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gregor7777 said:
Damn, I need to get into game design.
On average, game designers are the second lowest paid position in development - right after testers.
It's true high-end of spectrum can pay pretty well, but that's true of all positions.

I though Itagaki's job description was more along the lines of a producer though.

MCD

Fafalada said:
On average, game designers are the second lowest paid position in development - right after testers.
It's true high-end of spectrum can pay pretty well, but that's true of all positions.

I though Itagaki's job description was more along the lines of a producer though.
he's a director.

LiK

Fafalada said:

yea, but i think he's pretty hands on with everything, just like Kojima with his games.

Mamesj

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
So recording conversations without the other parties consent is not illegal in Japan?

lol

Oh It, you silly freak.

damn, where were you when Nixon needed you?

X

x2y

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like Itagaki is in the right for the most part hope he gets his money.

Victrix

*beard*
Finish them Itagaki, finish them

5u1vkg.jpg

In Itagaki's statement, the game designer says that this audio recording is only a small part of concrete evidence he has. "I am prepared to reveal this evidence as the need arises for the sake of greater justice," Itagaki states.

:lol tecmo, fucked up bad.

i guess this means more mission and costume packs for Ng2 coming soon..

gregor7777 said:
I've put in several two week notices (here in the US) and sure as hell haven't been told to "go home and not come back". :lol

Usually I gotta find and train the motherfucker that will replace me.

What were his other lies?

that NG2 was the best action game ever made?:lol

Its been quite a year as far as legal matters for gaming. What the hell ever happened to Epic vs SK?

I hope Itagaki can end up with a kickass team and make something insane...

Something like DMC3,NGB, Sex with Jessica Alba, Awesome sauce, and T-Rex's piloted by Kobe Bryant combined...

dionysus said:
What are yall talking about? It is pretty standard for when employees give their notice to be told to go home and not come back.

However, most companies will pay you your two weeks even if you aren't working.
Exactly. Once an employee has been fired or given their two weeks (in some countries it's actually three or four weeks) notice in bad blood (e.g. "Oh yeah? Well I QUIT!"), they need to be paid for those two weeks, but it is up to the company whether they actually want (or need) that person to work during that period.

This practice of paying an employee their two weeks' of wages but not actually requiring them to work is often called 'gardening leave' and is common in highly competitive industries and high technology companies, where there is a good chance of disgruntled employees creating havoc (e.g. stealing customer databases, company secrets, SOURCE CODE, etc.).

A good example is Technical Directors of Formula One teams, who are employed on contracts, and might sign for another team while still having as much as 12 months employment with their current team remaining (e.g. someone with a current contract with Ferrari that ends in June 2009, and who today just signed from July 2009 - June 2010 with McLaren - would be time for some gardening leave). Since they have a working knowledge of all aspects of a team's (highly secret) car designs and would continue to see details of new designs which would be appearing in next years car, if they sign for another company, they might be paid as much as 12 months 'gardening leave' where they take their full wage but don't actually work, for fear of new team developments later being transmitted to their next employer.

In Autralia if you dont have justifiable cause to fire someone you can offer to pay them to quit. Of course alot of people won't make a big deal out of such as thing unless its alot of money at stake ie company director ect.

itxaka

Defeatist
loosus said:
Under Japanese law, you have to have reasonable cause to fire someone? That's fucking stupid. As long as it's not race, creed, age, etc. related, I think you should be able to fire someone for ANY or NO reason.

Or you are a rich spoiled kid who never worked or you are an idiot.

From the Kotaku transcript of Okamoto's recording:

Yasuda:
Yeah. I was against it. The reason why is because... well, everything I said is all in the meeting record, but anyway. If everyone recieves the incentive, that's fine, by why should you, and you alone get it? Isn't everyone working on the game?
To which he replied, "You're like Lenin. You're a communist. This isn't like that, right?"
Oh, and one other thing.
Hey, I can trust you right? Definitely do not pass this on.

Okamoto:
Y, Yes.

:lol

duckroll

Yasuda:
And then all of the sudden, since he's such a money grubber, he's dead inside. He started whining "Mr. President, Mr. President!"
And this came up a second time at the drinking party.

Okamoto:
Oh.

More like, OH SNAP! Amirite. :lol

watership

krypt0nian said:
LOL Tecmo. That was a SEGA level stupid move.

I was just thinking this. They're going to be making crappy DOA and Ninja Gaiden games for decades trying to re-live old glories.

bj00rn_

Banned
endlessflood said:
Exactly. Once an employee has been fired or given their two weeks (in some countries it's actually three or four weeks) notice in bad blood (e.g. "Oh yeah? Well I QUIT!"), they need to be paid for those two weeks, but it is up to the company whether they actually want (or need) that person to work during that period.

Yeah. but he said it was "standard" to send the employee home if he/she quits (Implied regardless of the situation), which is certainly isn't - Unless, like you say, there's "bad blood".

I have 12 weeks notice/pay in my contract if I quit BTW, which is pretty common in high tech companies (At least in my country). And after 10 years in the company it will go up to 24 weeks.

But I digress...

Top Bottom