• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2017 and 3DS still has its foot on the competition's neck

stalker

When we had the rumour about Pokemon Stars I always said if that happens it will be on 3DS also; I know the rumour said exclusive to Switch, but I cannot see it. No way they will pass on the 3DS sales for that game, even more when TPC is involved.

Even if I love the 3DS and do not plan to buy a Switch until 2018, I would rather have Nitendo betting more strongly on the new product, but that is not in their DNA (unless it is a somewhat failed product of course).

Occam

The lo res screen is great for 8bit/16bit games but it's really awful for modern releases.
While I'll miss auto-stereoscopic 3D, I'll certainly not miss the resolution.

zelas

3ds has its foot on mobile's neck?? Hasn't mobile caused the 3ds to be in decline in iapan every year since 2012?

komorebi

So glad to see these 240p games gone. They're good, but not acceptable anymore in 2017.

LOL speak for yourself. I've had more fun with "these 240p games" than anything on PS4 or PC when I had one. Graphics are always second to gameplay.

3DS is a beast and it was never going anywhere. People automatically assumed that because you can hold the Switch in your hands that it was meant to replace the 3DS even though Nintendo said the opposite many times.

Griss

That's a much stronger lineup for me than 2016's. Colour me surprised.

And yes, my initial reaction was 'The competition being the Switch?' as well.

Branduil

2017 is almost certainly the last year of major 3DS releases from Nintendo. There will be a 3DS successor- it's just that its successor will probably be a handheld-only miniaturized version of the Switch.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Hopefully the Switch will be easier to play for people with adult sized hands. The other glaring issue (240p gaming) is gone.

i have big hands and some times i feel the 3DS XL just isn't big enough. i think i will enjoy the switch if this image is accurate:

m2LNc94.png

Sorry, but I have no clue what's going on here.

OP is just a list of games. OK, that's nice... Good job. The title has some fanboy drivel, including the word "competition." Who exactly is the competition? That question has been asked several times in this thread but the OP just issued a "fire and forget" post and never came back.

Shit like this has probably gotten people banned before.

In any case, I guess that list of games supports Reggie's statement of continued support for 3DS? It's a great selling video game platform, so I don't see why they would stop support abruptly, even with the arrival of the Switch.

It happened because Sony for some reason decided to send the Vita to die. Which is a shame, in terms of grunt and graphics the Vita is the better system. The ridiculously expensive memory cards remain a really stupid choice.

Lanrutcon

3DS has competition? It's not competing with consoles, and it's not competing with mobile...the Vita? <insert laughter here>

If anything, Nintendo should be hammering their handheld advantage home even more than they have.

Branduil

It happened because Sony for some reason decided to send the Vita to die. Which is a shame, in terms of grunt and graphics the Vita is the better system. The ridiculously expensive memory cards remain a really stupid choice.

The memory cards were like that so they could subsidize the system, making it seem cheaper than it really is.

Obviously it didn't really work, though.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
There's no neck. Who are you addressing? Any competition is alreadt out of the way and the only real threat has been and will continue to be the phone (and Nintendo itself with its hubris and all).

AHindD

Ok? The 3DS has its foot on a corpse, and the corpse has been smelling like shit for the past 4 years.

Congratulations!

redcrayon

A severe advantage in 'grunt and graphics' on their competitors devices have not stopped Nintendo being the market leader for portables since 1989.

Sony hamstrung the Vita by dropping support for it, but that wasn't the only reason it failed.

Mr. RHC

Dai Gyakuten Saiban not being translated makes me bite my nails. :/

I need to learn nihongo quickly or wait for fan translation.

Synless

Oh come on, aren't you getting tired of these really out-dated visuals by now?
Playing games for only their visuals is your first mistake. As long as quality games keep coming I don't give a shit about the visuals. This is a world where people are climbing over each other to get a NES classic. The resolution on the 3ds isn't bothering the vast majority of players.

A severe advantage in 'grunt and graphics' on their competitors devices have not stopped Nintendo being the market leader for portables since 1989.

Sony hamstrung the Vita by dropping support for it, but that wasn't the only reason it failed.

Nintendo actually had some pretty powerful systems at points there (the GBA in particular was interesting in there Nintendo killed the GBC earlier than they needed to , just to have more powerful hardware out) and didn't have any actual competition for a lot of that. But yeah Nintendo's dominance is usually more about price , unconvential gimmicks and their library of first / 2nd party games than graphics or to a slightly lesser extent grunt.

VLiberty

If resolution was a really big deal in handhelds, the Vita would have demolished the 3DS. History has demonstrated that resolution is not important, that's why no competitor to Nintendo's handhelds ever survived except the PSP and the resolution on PSP was definitely not one of it's selling points.

so what's the big deal? definitely not controls or ergonomics since that's another field won by Vita. library? I don't think so judging by Vita's first year releases(not that the next years' deserved the 4:1 sales rate between the two systems)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
wow at some reactions in here!
To me it's clear that the 3DS is keeping a good momentum despite wha many tought few months ago, despite being pretty old

YBdisk

Still hoping Apollo Justice HD joins that list. I'm playing AA3 right now and would love to have 1 to 6 all installed on the same device.

Decided I wanted one back in December only to find that Nintendo hasn't restocked them in the US since November. This has to be one of the worst companies on the planet. We're now almost two full months without retail getting new units. Just stupid planning on Nintendo's part.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I'm happy enough with this year, since I like Dragon Quest and love Fire Emblem. Ever Oasis looks like it could be good too and I have faith in Greezo.

Most of the games are for a specific type of player, but Mario Sports Superstars might go for a slightly different audience and a side-scrolling Pikmin (which isn't Pikmin imo) definitely does.

I'm actually really disappointed in Pikmin 3DS for basically being a Chibi Robo: Zip-Lash. I guess we know what happened to "Pikmin 4."

Ogawa-san

Playing games for only their visuals is your first mistake. As long as quality games keep coming I don't give a shit about the visuals. This is a world where people are climbing over each other to get a NES classic. The resolution on the 3ds isn't bothering the vast majority of players.
This straw man that always comes up whenever people talk about wanting better than 240p is exasperating.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
This straw man that always comes up whenever people talk about wanting better than 240p is exasperating.

Here's the thing, Wii U is HD (games are generally 720p) and Switch will be HD (games will probably be more 720p than 900p or 1080p).

There's nothing to complain about if you feel you need HD only, something I can understand, but there's a very large market of 3DS gamers who are upset when those types make annoying posts about how they want 3DS support to end as soon as Switch launches (which isn't happening). Too bad for those people, not all of us are getting a Switch at launch. I'm sure support will dry up in 2018 anyway.

Stiler

In terms of mobile gaming, phones have completely demolished the hand held systems like 3ds/vita, It's not even close.

asagami_

Banned

I would say is more for performance. Pokémon is obviously struggling with the 3DS. It's kinda "better" with the New 3DS, unless it's double or sos battle.

kaioshade

How many of those games are even getting released outside of Japan? I dont think Capcom has even mentioned anything about MHXX for the US. And i dont count a vague interview with Reggie as confirmation either.

Fire Emblem is about the only thing thats been confirmed.

I would say is more for performance. Pokémon is obviously struggling with the 3DS. It's kinda "better" with the New 3DS, unless it's double or sos battle.

Pokemon doesn't struggle because the 3DS is technically incapable* , it struggles because Gamefreak have a long history of being pretty mediocre at programming with the exception of a couple of really impressive feats here and there.

*There's many 3DS games that should press the 3DS much harder graphically than Pokemon does.

Stencil

Yoo I totally forgot about Pikmin! And what is this Snack World?! First I'm hearing about it; trailer looked great! Is it being localized do we know?

Gator86

That's not great news for the Switch though.

Yup. Nintendo made the Switch purposely to avoid having multiple platforms. One of them must die. If Nintendo drags out the 3DS to try and hold their handheld market, good luck Switch, especially when that drought hits.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
i have big hands and some times i feel the 3DS XL just isn't big enough. i think i will enjoy the switch if this image is accurate:

m2LNc94.png

I really hope we get a "New 3DS"-sized Switch sometime in the future. Once 3DS support dies off I'm really going to miss being able to slip a gaming system into my pocket every morning.

NimbusD

It's worrisome, isn't it? So much for "Nintendo unified Platform" I've been expecting. Everything we've seen on the Switch so far are console focused. There is 0 game that looks like a traditional handheld game.
Yeah. It's bizarre that Nintendo would go through the trouble if creating a suped up handheld, then market it as the debateably more powerful successor of their FAILED console instead of and insanely powered successor to their well received handheld. Then continue to prop up the previous generation of handheld.

I really hoped the switch would be the focal point of both types of games. Literally what's the point of taking it handheld if the games are all designed as a console game.

Top Bottom