• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2017 and 3DS still has its foot on the competition's neck

18-Volt

Were you under a rock for the past 5 years?

Were you? Because quality Wii U first party is the only thing made Wii U sell 14 million units. With almost zero third party support.

I don't think it can happen, but why would you even want, or rather, not want a library unified with the Switch?

Zelda BoTW from the get-go? Less software draughts? More software, more interest in the platform from 3rd parties?

I mean I can even understand not finding the current Switch appealing. It may be too large, or too expensive, or too unnecessarily complicated for a portable. Once they introduce a Switch model that fixes all of that, what's the drawback then?

It's not about what I want, it's about what developers want. Recent comments of Yoko Taro showed that developers still want proper portable handheld devices. I mean, Atlus and Level-5 still developing 3DS games alongside of Switch could say something. They don't see Switch as a portable successor.

But time will tell everything. Can Switch replace 3DS and Vita? Can Switch could be huge in Japan despite its size? Can just Switch make Nintendo even richer? If not, there will be another Nintendo system.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Splatoon 2 will release in Japan, a MonHun will be announced and that'll be the death knell of both the 3DS & Nintendo's home-only efforts.

The initial momentum seems strong, and they are poised to take advantage with the unified dev system they have going.

You've seen the sucessor for both the Wii U & 3DS already.

Qwyjibo

I can't see myself ever selling my 3DS. I just hope I never have any issues with my n3DS XL given all the talk about how hard it is to find new 3DS in stock these days.

The amount of deep RPGs I already have in my backlog and with all these ones coming out (hopefully in NA?!), the 3DS has hundreds of hours of gaming left in it for me. Even something as simple like Picross 3D is my go to "pick up and play" game for shorter sessions.

The Switch in its current state is totally unappealing to me so thank goodness for the 3DS to keep giving me my Nintendo fix.

I just bought one.

Library is massive and cheap! Loose games ftw!!

I've already put more time into this thing than the Wii u I had since launch.

Monster Hunter Stories
Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Fire Emblem Echoes
Hey! Pikmin
Dragon Quest XI
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Deep
Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2
Etryan Odyssey V
Snack World
Megaton Musashi
Lady Layton
Miitopia
Kirby
Yo-kai Watch 2 Psychic Specters
Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology
Poochy & Yoshi’s Woolly World
Mario Sports: Superstars
Ever Oasis
... and more.

DEi4kM9.gif

Twiforce

I'm so happy the 3DS is still going strong. The tears of Switch fanboys crying about how dare games come to 3DS instead of Switch give me life.

Shiggy

It's actually crazy how much the system still has this year. Yesterday's Direct made me more interested in the 3DS than the Switch.

TheBear

Whilst it's nice the 3DS is having a bit of a renaissance in its twilight, literally none of those games have any mass appeal, or have been in development for years before the Switch was announced. It's on it's way out

I'm so happy the 3DS is still going strong. The tears of Switch fanboys crying about how dare games come to 3DS instead of Switch give me life.

most of us who wish they were cross-gen own both consoles and will still buy some of the stuff on 3ds. don't just manufacture despair for the sake of reveling in it

Most people wish they were cross gen. also I'm not sure why you would be happy about the uncertain future of a platform made by a platform holder you like :lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Monster Hunter Stories
Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Fire Emblem Echoes
Hey! Pikmin
Dragon Quest XI
Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2
Etryan Odyssey V
Snack World
Megaton Musashi
Lady Layton
Miitopia
Kirby
Ever Oasis
... and more.

DEi4kM9.gif

... Kind of a misleading posting. Many of those games are JPN only and are never going to see any Western localization. So it may as well not exist because it's not playable to the 99% of GAF who are reading this thread.

I won't be done playing 3ds games for the next ten years.

... Kind of a misleading posting. Many of those games are JPN only and are never going to see any Western localization. So it may as well not exist because it's not playable to the 99% of GAF who are reading this thread.

I also have my doubts about many of them making it to the US but I'm hopeful. Out of the list only DGS 2 and Megaton Musashi seem like a lost cause to me, the rest stand a chance of being localized (if anybody still remembers Radiant Historia...)

wartama

Neo Member
Long live the 3DS!
As for Switch, as long as Nintendo doesn't regurgitate what they've shown yesterday at E3, I think it'll be a good year for Switch.
(But who am I kidding, I'm sure it's gonna be more ARMS, Splatoon, and BotW at E3...)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Monster Hunter Stories
Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Fire Emblem Echoes
Hey! Pikmin
Dragon Quest XI
Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2
Etryan Odyssey V
Snack World
Megaton Musashi
Lady Layton
Miitopia
Kirby
Ever Oasis
... and more.

DEi4kM9.gif

not a single one of those looks interesting tbh

love the gif though where is that from

kunonabi

I also have my doubts about many of them making it to the US but I'm hopeful. Out of the list only DGS 2 and Megaton Musashi seem like a lost cause to me, the rest stand a chance of being localized (if anybody still remembers Radiant Historia...)

Same here, a bunch of games in my backlog, ton of games I've yet to buy, and a stacked upcoming lineup to boot. I honestly won't need a switch anytime soon.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

I'm dying for EOV at E3, but I'm real skeptical. If that last direct were the last 3DS games ever, I wouldn't be surprises. NOA hates us lol.

Radiant Historia and Deep Strange Journey will make it over eventually. All the Atlus games will honestly. I still just can't believe we're getting a new Culdcept game for the first time since 2008. I'm happy with just that and Ever Oasis.

How long was the Gameboy still active after the DS officially came out? What about DS after 3DS's release? I don't really recall, but I think those would be good indicators as to how many days the 3DS has left before the curtains are pulled and closed.

Unless Switch suddenly falls into WiiU territory demand wise, I don't think the 3DS can justifiably be supported with software and resources after holiday 2017.

Unless Switch suddenly falls into WiiU territory demand wise, I don't think the 3DS can justifiably be supported with software and resources after holiday 2017.
Agreed, it's total cannibalism at this point. They've gotta transition support to Switch if they want anything to happen with it.

I still hate that the Vita never came close to fulfilling its potential.

(Not trying to turn this into a Vita--3DS debate, but it had to be said.)

:-(

Top Bottom