• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2017 and 3DS still has its foot on the competition's neck

Atlus just hosted a video presentation and it was all 3DS games.

Add SMT Strange Journey Deep, Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 and Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology to the list.

Poor everyone else. 💀

18-Volt

Add SMT Strange Journey Deep, Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 and Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology to the list.

Poor everyone else. 💀

Plus Reggie just teased that there will be new 3DS announcements at E3.

I guess I was right. I always thought that they would keep 3DS alive until its own successor arrives, and Switch is not a 3DS replacement.

Shizuka

Poor everyone else. 💀

Two games I can already play on my 3DS and the third being a sequel with not much else that's new? Sure.

LordKano

Amazing support, two bad ports of DS games and the fourth Mystery Dungeon game on the console !

It really has its foot on the competition's neck.

The 3DS would be the greatest handheld of all time for me if it had a couple more good racing games. There's only so much Mario Kart 7 and Ridge Racer 3D can do for me. We're not getting a new F-Zero, but couldn't Shin'en do a version of FAST for the 3DS?
Hey what about Asphalt 3D?

antibolo

Banned
None of those games are going to convince me to go back to my 3DS.

Hopefully that's the last of the first party games, Nintendo needs to get all its studios on Switch ASAP.

Not a very compelling library to make that argument with. Still, I'd love to be wrong, but those games over what the competition has is lunacy to me.

The fact that there hasn't been one mention of Culdcept Revolt makes me sad.

Its a great game that's finally coming to the 3DS this summer, and the fact that its just one among many for the 3DS is kind of bonkers.

Cleve

Poor everyone else. 💀

I already played two of those, and I'd really only have interest if these were on switch. Who's everyone else in this case?

I guess I was right. I always thought that they would keep 3DS alive until its own successor arrives, and Switch is not a 3DS replacement.

Nintendo have literally said it's not a 3DS replacement and that they may have new hardware in the future to succeed the 3DS but some people like to cover their ears at that. It seems a very difficult truth for some that the Switch may not be intended to be any more than the Wii U successor.

cireza

3DS has been a massive disappointment for me, and such games won't motivate me into buying the console again.

I already have a DS and plenty of great RPGs.

antibolo

Banned
Nintendo have literally said it's not a 3DS replacement and that they may have new hardware in the future to succeed the 3DS but some people like to cover their ears at that. It seems a very difficult truth for some that the Switch may not be intended to be any more than the Wii U successor.

That's because Nintendo has said the exact same thing about the DS.

And then there's the fact that one of the major points of the Switch is to have a single platform moving forward so that first party development is no longer spread thin across two platforms.

So basically you are the one who is refusing to accept the truth.

Kyzer

Banned

Yall still waiting for the next game boy too? And if youre going by Nintendos word the switch is not the wii u successor either.

You'll be wrong.

Game Freak are working on switch, I don't know what else to say.

zeromcd73

That's because Nintendo has said the exact same thing about the DS.

And then there's the fact that one of the major points of the Switch is to have a single platform moving forward so that first party development is no longer spread thin across two platforms.

So basically you are the one who is refusing to accept the truth.
Not even that, Nintendo even said Switch isn't the Wii U successor either.

It's nothing more than its not carrying on their ideas as hardware, not the fact that it is a home/portable console. Switch isn't the 3DS successor not due to its portability, but due to not having dual screens or 3D in Nintendo's eyes.

Also Reggie in the latest interview say they have new games in development for 3DS, just that they have content to show at E3. They still have Pikmin, Ever Oasis, and a tonne of game localizations that can show without announcing anything new.

Vibed

Anyone who believes the Switch is Nintendo's single platform going forward would never expect them to drop 3DS support in less than a year after the Switch's launch. It would make little business sense, since Nintendo would be relying on a relatively small userbase to sustain profits for the next few quarters and would be putting all their eggs in one basket. That'd be crazy.

Either way, I have a Switch and am excited by the many 3DS titles to come. :) I just hope the really cool ones get localized.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeeaaaah, this is getting weird now, with all the Atlus stuff coming out on 3DS. But shit, as much as I prefer the Switch, thanks to it's actually decent hardware, I really can't deny that the 3DS has an absolutely incredible library.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Yeeaaaah, this is getting weird now, with all the Atlus stuff coming out on 3DS. But shit, as much as I prefer the Switch, thanks to it's actually decent hardware, I really can't deny that the 3DS has an absolutely incredible library.

It's just a bunch of remakes though anyhow. They probably just want to put out a couple of more projects reusing whatever engine they did for the previous remakes. Same deal with FE: Echoes. Might as well build on the Fates engine to do a remake. They also probably wanted something to benefit from FE: Heroes and a 3DS game would release before the Switch game.

jts

...hate me...

Current Nintendo Switch is the XXL version of future more affordable, more pocketable, no-dock included, 3DS-sucessor version of Nintendo Switch. Which will run the same Nintendo Switch games.

Many publishers still want to sell games to a 65M+ userbase though. Can't blame them.

Powwa

Will you guys please stop with this nonsense? Do you seriously think they will release another handheld?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's just a bunch of remakes though anyhow. They probably just want to put out a couple of more projects reusing whatever engine they did for the previous remakes. Same deal with FE: Echoes. Might as well build on the Fates engine to do a remake. They also probably wanted something to benefit from FE: Heroes and a 3DS game would release before the Switch game.

Yeah, it's just a buncha shit using old engines or assets, but it's the kind of shit I want to play. I'm still excited.

It's not weird at all, 3DS has a 20 million user base in Japan. You really think they are going to just drop that because Switch is out? Look how long it took them to stop supporting PS3.

18-Volt

Yall still waiting for the next game boy too? And if youre going by Nintendos word the switch is not the wii u successor either.

You'll be wrong.

Game Freak are working on switch, I don't know what else to say.

Will you guys please stop with this nonsense? Do you seriously think they will release another handheld?

You guys really think Nintendo would risk everything with having just only ONE active platform. Nope. There will definitely be another Nintendo platform alongside of Switch, whether it be handheld or VR or anything. Nintendo isn't a gigantic tech company like Sony and MS are and if their only platform Switch fails that would hurt them real bad. Right now things don't look too bright for Switch, as it rarely gets game announcement. It's really hard to predict the future of Switch, so it would be best for Nintendo to create companion platform for Switch. Until then 3DS will be still kicking.

E3 2018 will be very interesting.

You guys really think Nintendo would risk everything with having just only ONE active platform. Nope. There will definitely be another Nintendo platform alongside of Switch, whether it be handheld or VR or anything. Nintendo isn't a gigantic tech company like Sony and MS are and if their only platform Switch fails that would hurt them real bad. Right now things don't look too bright for Switch, as it rarely gets game announcement. It's really hard to predict the future of Switch, so it would be best for Nintendo to create companion platform for Switch. Until then 3DS will be still kicking.

E3 2018 will be very interesting.
Wrong. They cannot support two platforms anymore, software wise.

The install base, the fact that it is still nearly impossible to buy the thing off the shelf new, and the fact that it has a back catalog that rivals any console ever including PS2, and its own competition comes from its own brand tells me it's place in the market is secure.

As much as I love my Switch and I will always prefer grabbing titles on it over my 3DS, there is something lovely and wonderful about the portability of the device and the feeling of gaming in bite sizes on the go.

Nintendo must still be printing money. Why turn off the print press?

18-Volt

Wrong. They cannot support two platforms anymore, software wise.

Umm, why? It's not like they have shut down their best studios like Sony have. They have lots of associate studios who create some of the best handheld only franchises: AlphaDream, Ganbarion, Camelot, Paon... Actually Nintendo is the one with the power to support multiple systems with quality software.

Umm, why? It's not like they have shut down their best studios like Sony have. They have lots of associate studios who create some of the best handheld only franchises: AlphaDream, Ganbarion, Camelot, Paon... Actually Nintendo is the one with the power to support multiple systems with quality software.
Do u remember the Wii U

antibolo

Banned

Were you under a rock for the past 5 years?

It's almost comical how we all expect "no THIS is the year the 3DS is done" and it's like "no bruh I got like way more games coming".

Concern trolling for the 3DS is the best concern trolling.

It's hilarious how people say the Vita is dead and its *still* got games coming out, and then people talk like the 3DS is going somewhere.

jts

...hate me...

I don't think it can happen, but why would you even want, or rather, not want a library unified with the Switch?

Zelda BoTW from the get-go? Less software draughts? More software, more interest in the platform from 3rd parties?

I mean I can even understand not finding the current Switch appealing. It may be too large, or too expensive, or too unnecessarily complicated for a portable. Once they introduce a Switch model that fixes all of that, what's the drawback then?

I couldn't agree more. I love the Switch hardware and I LOVE the 3ds library but after using the switch I find it so hard to go back to the 3ds. I've always disliked the 3ds hardware which doesn't help.

Give me these 3ds ports on switch please -_-

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Its the final year(s) for Japan ta squeeze out cheap SD games. In a post-3DS world everything'll be HD with no going back! May as well go out with something of a bang! Just wish more of this upcoming stuff was new-new games instead or sequels/ports/remakes. End of systems lives are usually supposed to have lower costs all around allowing devs to try new things but I'm not really seeing that here.

Top Bottom