• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been 5 years since the last console ZELDA was revealed. Is it time for another?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
MikeE21286 said:
well it was one of my predictions in the e3 prediction thread.....

I think it's about time. There has to be at least something to show the fans. There is now way they have nothing at all
I'd like to see a massive ban bet over this where we have two camps (Wii Zelda is or isn't shown at Nintendo's E3 press conference) and one of the camps is banned for a month.

sprocket

Banned
Guled said:
whats the point, if they make it like OoT you guys will complain that its more of the same, if its different you guys will complain. No matter what Nintendo dose with zelda you guys will never be happy

this is true! :lol

Guled said:
whats the point, if they make it like OoT you guys will complain that its more of the same, if its different you guys will complain. No matter what Nintendo dose with zelda you guys will never be happy

and yet we all still buy them.

Xeke

Banned
The timing makes sense for a new Zelda, considering there hasn't even really been a true Zelda Wii made from the ground up.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I really want the next Zelda to be something completely unexpected and create a lot of complaints when it is shown and then blow us out of the water when we learn more.

I love that stuff.
Perhaps... futuristic Zelda?

Davey Cakes

Oblivion said:
You're blind or willfully ignorant if you don't think SMG tried to emulate Mario 64. Hell, Nintendo themselves branded the game as the true sequel to Mario 64.
The general formula was like Mario 64, in terms of how there are multiple worlds and 120 stars.

But, my big point is that it's not just Mario in the Mushroom Kingdom/Peach's Castle again. It's Mario in space, with a bunch of awesome concepts based around gravity. The creativity in an outer space setting is off the scale, and I think sticking to a more traditional design would've limited EAD Tokyo to a much greater extent.

I'm not talking about breaking from general formulas. In terms of Zelda, Majora's Mask was a copy-and-past of OOT's gameplay, but it did something completely different as well, and turned out to be an awesome and memorable game for it. Wind Waker is a game much more appreciated now than it was back then for what it did different from OOT in terms of style and presentation, even though the game followed a basic "beat three temples, get Master Sword, beat more temples, go to Ganon's Tower" model.

Twilight Princess mixes things up a little bit by not having a young version of Link, but the structure is still quite similar to OOT overall. The game felt like a better-designed OOT, and not much more. I enjoyed it, but I can admit how "safe" the game was. It just didn't have anything on the same lines as Mario Galaxy's space setting or gravity mechanic, Majora's Mask's time or mask mechanics, or Wind Waker's awesome style, story, and presentation.

Joei

There's no way it's Red Steel if it's as "huge" as your friend is saying. No way. Red Steel can lick my red steel balls.

As for the OP, I definitely think it's about time they reveal it. If you think about, if they don't this year, then they'd probably have to next year, and the Zelda game is probably going to be revealed at least a year before release, so 2010 showing = 2011, 2012 release... I doubt that. But a 2009 showing = 2010, 2011 release, a little more likely. It very well may not be shown, but it seems really sensible. They haven't even created and released a mainstream Zelda game for the Wii, and I doubt they'd wait to do it 6 years into its cycle... this isn't Final Fantasy.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Fantastical said:
I really want the next Zelda to be something completely unexpected and create a lot of complaints when it is shown and then blow us out of the water when we learn more.

I love that stuff.
Perhaps... futuristic Zelda?
Zelda in Space!

GamerSoul said:
Hopefully before TP. I still think they lost a lot of opportunities by choosing to ditch all those awesome races, the world frankly felt empty. They could've done so much with them. Kinda like how we had to sumo-wrestle with the Gorons, we could've learned and trained under the Sheikah and Gerudos. stuff like that.

I think we deserve to see the Old Hyrule at it's peak atleast for one more time.
Just like in real life, the passage of time makes ethnic groups either go extinct, change until they're unrecognisable or become completely absorbed into another, larger group.

The Sheikah were nearly extinct by the time OoT took place anyway, the Gerudos more than likely got absorbed into the population of Greater Hyrule and the Kokoris were possibly pushed further into the forest when the Ordonians moved in.

JasonMCG said:
My buddy works at a marketing/post house in LA - he says they were commissioned about a month ago by Nintendo to work on something BIG for E3. He knows I'm a Nintendo fanboy and he keeps taunting me, keeps telling me I'm "going to pass out." He's sworn to absolute secrecy...guess we'll see.

EDIT: Talking to him on AIM now - "project is a massive undertaking. Will undoubtedly be the talk of the show. It's 'BIG'."
You know that you'll be tormented for this until the end of time if it doesn't pan out, don't you?

Fuzzy said:
I'd like to see a massive ban bet over this where we have two camps (Wii Zelda is or isn't shown at Nintendo's E3 press conference) and one of the camps is banned for a month.

if they don't even mention it or make reference to it I'd be completely shocked. If that were to happen I would say that the series is making a DRASTIC move (think crazy shit like Oblivion first-person view).

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Joei said:
As for the OP, I definitely think it's about time they reveal it. If you think about, if they don't this year, then they'd probably have to next year, and the Zelda game is probably going to be revealed at least a year before release, so 2010 showing = 2011, 2012 release... I doubt that. But a 2009 showing = 2010, 2011 release, a little more likely. It very well may not be shown, but it seems really sensible. They haven't even created and released a mainstream Zelda game for the Wii, and I doubt they'd wait to do it 6 years into its cycle... this isn't Final Fantasy.
I don't think that even with a Zelda game Nintendo will entirely change its announcement schedule. As of late, they have been announcing games just months before it releases. I think if they announce it at E3, 2010 will be more likely than a two year wait.

Also, in Spirit Track's defense, the song in the trailer is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6dgiMig8Bk

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fuzzy said:

I'd gladly take that bet because then I'd have a month to contemplate whatever they show on that Zelda. :D

And also I'm confident it won't happen. A late 2010 (think Nintendo October Conference 2010) trailer reveal is what I'm thinking will be the earliest possible time they show anything.

Davey Cakes

I don't see why people are making judgements about Spirit Tracks. Yes, it'll play a lot like Phantom Hourglass, but that's all we really know.

Besides, Phantom Hourglass gets too much hate. I admit that it was a weak Zelda experience, but it still had its fun parts. With Spirit Tracks, if Nintendo decides not to go with another bad design decision like the Temple of the Ocean King, then the game could end up being the best handheld Zelda, or at least up there with Link's Awakening. No one knows yet, so there's no reason to be so negative about it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Andrex said:
I'd gladly take that bet because then I'd have a month to contemplate whatever they show on that Zelda. :D

And also I'm confident it won't happen. A late 2010 (think Nintendo October Conference 2010) trailer reveal is what I'm thinking will be the earliest possible time they show anything.
Ahh.. that would suck. I know I'll be looking back, thinking of how foolish we were in thinking we would get a Wii Zelda shown this year. :p

Joei

Fantastical said:
I don't think that even with a Zelda game Nintendo will entirely change its announcement schedule. As of late, they have been announcing games just months before it releases. I think if they announce it at E3, 2010 will be more likely than a two year wait.

Also, in Spirit Track's defense, the song in the trailer is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6dgiMig8Bk

Typically, yeah, I know Nintendo would typically do a big showing 90 odd days prior to release, but I think with Zelda they'd want to do a big extravaganza/announcement. And what better setting than an E3 for them to do it at? There really aren't much bigger franchises they have for them to do this with.

The biggest thing that makes me think they'd do a reveal at this E3 is because there hasn't been a ground-up Zelda Wii game. TP was good, don't get me wrong, I love the game, but it's just a port. Wii's been out 2.5 years with not so much as a mention of a Zelda game. Even if they're not going to release it for 2.5 more years, at least let us know what's going on.

Xeke

Banned
Andrex said:

So what big games comparable to Smash, Zelda, Metroid or Mario do you think they have planned between now at Winter 2011, which is the earliest that game would come with your schedule. Considering Zelda was the first big game Nintendo released for the Wii it stands to reason that it will be the next big game to be released as all their other big names have come out much more recently.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BrandNew said:
earliest possible time...2010? no way in hell

Well I sure as heck don't think they'll show anything in 2009 with Spirit Tracks coming out. They'll "talk about it", sure, like they did last E3, vague statements like "it's in production"/"it's a revolution for the series"/etc., but as for things like trailers, screens, and demos... no, 2009 is not going to be the year any of that happens for Zelda Wii.

Maybe GDC then, but I doubt that.

Xeke said:
So what big games comparable to Smash, Zelda, Metroid or Mario do you think they have planned between now at Winter 2011, which is the earliest that game would come with your schedule. Considering Zelda was the first big game Nintendo released for the Wii it stands to reason that it will be the next big game to be released as all their other big names have come out much more recently.

This. We know of...NOTHING from them other than some various Wii [game] releases and a Metroid compilation. They HAVE to have something else big planned for the holidays this year and next.

GamerSoul

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Just like in real life, the passage of time makes ethnic groups either go extinct, change until they're unrecognisable or become completely absorbed into another, larger group.

The Sheikah were nearly extinct by the time OoT took place anyway, the Gerudos more than likely got absorbed into the population of Greater Hyrule and the Kokoris were possibly pushed further into the forest when the Ordonians moved in.

eh......yeah. I kinda basically knew that. :p Since Ganondorf was to busy being evil and stuff there wouldn't really be any more pure Gerudos anyways..... so yeah. Sheikahs were dying already like Impa said. I'm just saying it would be an awesome experience to get to understand these races more and by letting them add to the experience of the overall adventure.

Guled said:
I'll be happy, because I'll be playing Zelda.

Davey Cakes

And before people start spewing that crap about Nintendo announcing games just before release, remember this: Zelda isn't ExciteBots.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Xeke said:

Is this a question? I see no question marks.

Well for one, if 2008 shows anything it's that they don't need "big games comparable to Smash, Zelda, Metroid or Mario". Nintendo coasted great on Mario Kart and Wii Fit the entire flipping year.

For 2009/2010, I think Nintendo will put out the following: Kirby Wii, WiiSports Resort, WiiFit Plus, Pikmin 3, Metroid Prime Trilogy, half a dozen New Play Control titles, a Pokemon Stadium-type game, Sin & Punishment 2, and maybe somethings unexpected like another Fire Emblem, Pilotwings, Battalion Wars, Donkey Kong, and/or Golden Sun games.

GamerSoul said:
eh......yeah. I kinda basically knew that. :p Since Ganondorf was to busy being evil and stuff there wouldn't really be any more pure Gerudos anyways..... so yeah. Sheikahs were dying already like Impa said. I'm just saying it would be an awesome experience to get to understand these races more and by letting them add to the experience of the overall adventure.
Pretty much. The Gerudo line would end with Ganondorf, so the rest of the Gerudos probably married Hylians and abandoned their fortress by the end of a generation. We know that Malon's mother was probably Gerudo, for instance, and there was definitely Gerudo blood in some of the characters of Phantom Hourglass (Jolene and her sister).

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Rash said:
And before people start spewing that crap about Nintendo announcing games just before release, remember this: Zelda isn't ExciteBots.
And who is to say that really matters to Nintendo? I'm just brining up the point of what Nintendo has done recently.

Punch-Out!! was announced in October by the way.

Xeke

Banned
Andrex said:
Is this a question? I see no question marks.

Well for one, if 2008 shows anything it's that they don't need "big games comparable to Smash, Zelda, Metroid or Mario". Nintendo coasted great on Mario Kart and Wii Fit the entire flipping year.

For 2009/2010, I think Nintendo will put out the following: Kirby Wii, WiiSports Resort, WiiFit Plus, Pikmin 3, Metroid Prime Trilogy, half a dozen New Play Control titles, a Pokemon Stadium-type game, Sin & Punishment 2, and maybe somethings unexpected like another Fire Emblem, Pilotwings, Battalion Wars, Donkey Kong, and/or Golden Sun games.

So they wont release another big game for the next 2 and half years?

I'm personally betting on new Wii colors this E3.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pretty much. The Gerudo line would end with Ganondorf, so the rest of the Gerudos probably married Hylians and abandoned their fortress by the end of a generation. We know that Malon's mother was probably Gerudo, for instance, and there was definitely Gerudo blood in some of the characters of Phantom Hourglass (Jolene and her sister).

Also, Telma in Twilight Princess was almost definitely Gerudo.

Xeke said:
So they wont release another big game for the next 2 and half years?

I'm personally betting on new Wii colors this E3.

I think there will be new Wii colors in Japan later in the year, and maybe a new bundle for elsewhere. But that's the thing, Nintendo is still holding all their hardware-related cards in their hands, even if they don't have any big games, they can still stimulate Wii sales by playing one of them. Colors, bundles, price drops, etc.

sprocket said:
I just want to know what nintendos big motion plus game is going to be. You know they have one.

wii_sports_resort_price_lg.thumbnail.jpg

Jaroof

Yes. Pleeaase have a new console Zelda.
I couldn't even play through Twilight Princess. It just didn't feel right to me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jaroof said:
Yes. Pleeaase have a new console Zelda.
I couldn't even play through Twilight Princess. It just didn't feel right to me.

I don't get posts like these.

"I hated what you gave me before, but give me more of it anyways!!"

You think Wii Sports Resort is the only Motion+ title they have to show off? :lol

No fucking way. They already showed it off and it's coming out in a month and a half. It'll be at the show, yes, but they're bound to have a big title franchise backing the controller as well.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Why can't they just make a really different type of zelda game, yet still have the same elements that make it zelda. something using the wii motion plus with enhanced graphics over mario galaxy even. Announce that with a new wii that supports HD. Make the game the a direct sequel to OoT, with the time travel, but more futuristic. Maybe some space elements. Include finally voice acting. This would make me buy that HD Wii, along with that zelda title. MILLIONS SOLD.

Andrex said:
Also, Telma in Twilight Princess was almost definitely Gerudo.
Really? Never realised. Heh. It makes sense - the red hair, the combativeness, the way she seems to want to mercilessly tear Link's pants off with her eyes...

She probably wouldn't think of herself as being Gerudo, though. As with the Adult Timeline, with Ganondorf gone, the Gerudo would have been forced to integrate with the population of Greater Hyrule in order to survive.

Andrex said:
I think there will be new Wii colors in Japan later in the year, and maybe a new bundle for elsewhere. But that's the thing, Nintendo is still holding all their hardware-related cards in their hands, even if they don't have any big games, they can still stimulate Wii sales by playing one of them. Colors, bundles, price drops, etc.
No price drops on Wii. Bank on it.

Jea Song said:
Why can't they just make a really different type of zelda game, yet still have the same elements that make it zelda. something using the wii motion plus with enhanced graphics over mario galaxy even. Announce that with a new wii that supports HD. Make the game the a direct sequel to OoT, with the time travel, but more futuristic. Maybe some space elements. Include finally voice acting. This would make me buy that HD Wii, along with that zelda title. MILLIONS SOLD.
Too soon for new hardware, but you probably wouldn't buy it anyway.

Also, voice acting? Yuck.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Jea Song said:
I agree with these things. Just put Link in the Temple of Time for maybe... 500 years. :D

Joei

Let's take a look at some releases and see where we stand.

SMG - shown at E3 '06, released late '07.
Zelda WW - shown at Space World '01, playable at E3 '02, JP release late '02, early '03 NA
Metroid Prime 3 - shown at E3 '05, released 08/2007
Zelda TP - shown at E3 '05, released late '06, though it originally had a late '05 release planned, but I bet they knew it wouldn't be ready at E3
SMS - shown at Space World '01, again at E3 '02, released mid '02

Unless Nintendo has another Space World planned, this seems like a likely time. Though, after looking at this timelines, they very well could wait till next year and have a late 2010 release.

Jaroof

Andrex said:
I don't get posts like these.

"I hated what you gave me before, but give me more of it anyways!!"

I really really wanted to like Twilight Princess. I must've picked it up at least 5 times.
But every time I did, I couldn't finish :/
I want another Windwaker. :(
Trust me, I love Zelda just as much as anybody else here, but Twilight Princess is the one Zelda I couldn't get into.

sprocket

Banned
Jea Song said:

put him in a halo helmet and make him a space marine while you are at it. :/

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Time for another?

Only if they revamp the series. Otherwise I'd look forward to them doing something else.

Meesh

Fuzzy said:

If the "is camp" anything like band camp, I'm in like Flynn.

Plus, steampunk Zelda, bitches.

The big question is - if there's a new console Zelda, where will it fit into the timeline? Will it be a follow-up to TP in the Child Timeline where, say, Zant rises again? Will it be a follow-up to WW in the Adult Timeline and the foundation of a new land or the resurrected Hyrule? Will it somehow involve time/world/dimension/timeline travelling and somehow bring both the Child and Adult Timelines together again?

These are the big questions I think we all need answers to

The more I think about steampunk Zelda the more I like it...but Zant? Out of all the Zeldas, I think Zant was the worst boss/villian, so totally anti-climactic....you finally get to him and it's like, hey, so were finally here, what's up? Not much, just a boss you know, doing what bosses do...and then we fight parts of bosses we already did, and before you know it, he's gone. He shoulda taken his helmet off to show us how ugly he was, then transform into something bigger and uglier...I just wasn't interested in Zant at all...

Xeke

Banned
Joei said:
Let's take a look at some releases and see where we stand.

SMG - shown at E3 '06, released late '07.
Zelda WW - shown at Space World '01, playable at E3 '02, JP release late '02, early '03 NA
Metroid Prime 3 - shown at E3 '05, released 08/2007
Zelda TP - shown at E3 '04, released late '06, though it originally had a late '05 release planned, but I bet they knew it wouldn't be ready at E3
SMS - shown at Space World '01, again at E3 '02, released mid '02

Unless Nintendo has another Space World planned, this seems like a likely time. Though, after looking at this timelines, they very well could wait till next year and have a late 2010 release.

Fixed.

Rash said:
Zelda TP was a great game. It was just plagued by the fans. You know, those who kept screaming for OOT2, but when it was given to them, still found reason to complain.

Twilight Princess was the result of Zelda fan-feedback, whereas Majora's Mask and Wind Waker were not. It's been said before, but I think Nintendo should just make whatever the hell they want and forget about the fans.

Just think, if fans had it their way, Mario Galaxy would've been just a complete rehash of Mario 64. And, fans would, again, find reason to complain even though the game is still good. I think Mario Galaxy gave Mario fans much less to complain about than a straight-up SM64 2 would've.
We always get the best work from them when this happens. I completely agree, do whatever you want nintendo...that is how we've gotten the nice things you've given us in the first place.

I just realised I already posted my Zelda predictions in a previous thread:

Me said:
As were Metroid Prime and Fusion. I just get the feeling that if they were going to be released at the same time, they'd be announced at the same event. Wait... were Prime and Fusion announced at the same event? I didn't follow gaming back then.

The way I see it, the arguments for and against Zelda Wii being at E3 are:

+ Zelda TP was, aside from being the big Wii launch game, was also the second GC Zelda. There is yet to be a true Zelda Wii.

+ Three years seems like enough of a gap between mainline Zeldas, especially given that WW released in 2002 (?) and TP was originally slated for a 2005 release (I think).

+ Miyamoto has clarified that the Zelda team is working on a Zelda title

+ Nintendo have been known to cross promote console and handheld games in the same series

- The gap between mainline console Zeldas (and not handheld games / side stories) has historically been four years ever since the days of the SNES (since the NES if you don't count Zelda II).

- If cross-promotion were really taking place, it may have been advantageous to reveal ST and Zelda Wii at the same event

- Nintendo no longer reveal games until a few months prior to release. If Zelda Wii is a '10 title, it won't be revealed at E3.

- Nintendo have for the past two years treated E3 as an opportunity to show off their expanded audience titles to the mainstream press. The good stuff gets shown off at Spaceworld.

---------------------------

But yeah. Here's hoping for ground-up Zelda Wii that's a cross between TP and WW in terms of art style (cell-shaded Adult Link with flashes of the art from the early NES manuals :0_) and not a clone of any of the previous games in the series.

My prediction is that Zelda Wii will not be shown.

Top Bottom