• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its been a year since Xbox Announced Cross-Network Play

leeh

These people are not our friends, no matter how hard they try to come across like they are. They are there to make money and make the brand successful. They will tell us exactly what we want to hear if there's a chance it will turn things around for them.
Read my post above:
The reason why MS have done this, this generation is due to the overhaul of Microsofts direction with new management. This is evident by looking at their open-source initiatives, .NET compiler, Ubuntu on W10, BSD images in Azure and MS SQL on Linux. Hell, even the artichet of Azure has joined the board of the Linux foundation.
Nothing ever like that happened at the reigns of Balmer.

They've even got an open-sourced VS which is built upon a open-sourced tech stack: Chromium, Electron.
Just like there was no negative for Microsoft last gen!
Not denying that, but new people at the top does an awful lot for a company.

EmiPrime

Everyone has something to gain and nothing to loose. Longetivity of player counts on games across the board.

There's no negative for Sony, at all.

People buying Tekken 7 and its DLC on XB1 instead of PS4 and maintaining a XBL Gold sub instead of PS+ because of the low player count problem being solved by cross platform play is a negative for Sony.

They are competitors, not partners.

AALLx

Ultimately, it is pretty fucking stupid and malicious to blatantly announce "We're allowing crossplay***!" without actually getting an agreement with Sony first. If MS was truly genuine about it, they would have worked it out in private and ironed out the details. What they did was a calculated PR bait done to make themselves look good and make the other party look bad by getting them caught with their pants down.

Kinda like throwing a birthday party without sending invitations ahead of time; all that wasted time for preparation with no one attending.

You realise that was just a marketing slogan and "for the players [who buy our consoles]" isn't as catchy? I would have thought this was obvious.

As for what they have to lose, they want you to buy multi-plats on PS4 not XB1. Tekken 7 will be dead online on XBL not long after launch, cross platform play would sustain it and give people a reason to buy it on XB1 instead of PS4.

This requires negotiation and collaboration not "ball's in your court Sony!" bullshit.
exactly, well how would crossplay make people not wanna buy multiplat games anymore? if anything it lets them want to buy their console of choice so they won't have to worry about the whole "buy the console your friends are buying" bullshit

leeh

People buying Tekken 7 and its DLC on XB1 instead of PS4 and maintaining a XBL Gold sub instead of PS+ because of the low player count problem being solved by cross platform play is a negative for Sony.

They are competitors, not partners.
How is that even a real scenario? If you own both consoles, you're going to buy based on either performance of that game, the controller or social aspects.

If you own a single console, you're not going to go out and buy another due to player counts when you'll always be able to find a match anyway. A higher player pool means a better online experience for everyone, as there's more people at your skill level to matchmake against.

Synth

Ultimately, it is pretty fucking stupid and malicious to blatantly announce "We're allowing crossplay***!" without actually getting an agreement with Sony first. If MS was truly genuine about it, they would have worked it out in private and ironed out the details. What they did was a calculated PR bait done to make themselves look good and make the other party look bad by getting them caught with their pants down.

Kinda like throwing a birthday party without sending invitations ahead of time; all that wasted time for preparation with no one attending.

How is it "malicious" to announce that you're allowing something... that you're actually allowing? The announcement has resulted in games playable across platforms outside of XBL. Rocket League is playable versus Steam, Gwent is playable versus GoG... the announcement doesn't depend on every platform owner in existence playing ball.

The "caught with their pants down" excuse is tired after a year.

How is that even a real scenario? If you own both consoles, you're going to buy based on either performance of that game, the controller or social aspects.

If you own a single console, you're not going to go out and buy another due to player counts when you'll always be able to find a match anyway. A higher player pool means a better online experience for everyone, as there's more people at your skill level to matchmake against.

This is totally a real scenario. Being part of a healthier player pool has notable benefits. In smaller pools you'll often find yourself matched with the same people constantly, or dealing with shit connections due to few people in your area playing. That's not even considering if you have some specific friends on the other platform... that's enough for many people to base their console purchase on alone.

Hell, you just said yourself that a higher player pool equals a better online experience... this is still true when the platforms are separated, but it is in favour of whoever has the larger pool.

Spades

I completely understand why Sony don't want to do it.

I don't understand users on GAF defending Sony's decision as the right one for the consumer, etc.

There is zero reason for any gamer, on Xbox or PS4, to actively defend either company for not allowing cross-play or actively campaign against it.

Floody

I think Adam Boyes's comments on the Bombcast right before/when he left Sony were telling as well. He was basically downplaying the benefit of it (to players) and making excuses about how complicated integration would be (even though it realistically wouldn't be any different than what they do with SFV).

Was that the same 1 where he talked about MS not having any answers to Sony's questions on how it'd work?

Kayant

Fair point, but I think you guys are misinterpreting what the announcement was.
Based all the posts I have made on cross play so far I would say I disagree with this assertion in my case.
So basically they are open to it, provided the game offers what they deem a experience Xbox users should have, and are also pushing cross play on their platform as a differentiator.
It's more if devs meet their requirements/policies which does include "a experience Xbox users should have" - i.e Why Xbox users will always have an option to disable crossplay.
It would be nice for them to allow exceptions, and perhaps they are planning to through the creators program, but that announcement wasn't just a pr stunt or just hot air, it was a means to attract more devs to their platform.
Indeed it wasn't just a PR stunt but it was still framed in a way to put all emphasis on external parties being the only potential obstacle in it now not happening by saying "with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well" - which is true to degree but this doesn't highlight the fact their requirements/policies also have to be agreed upon.

In terms of attracting more devs to the platform I don't think it does much there as it doesn't really change things as they had already supported cross play as per their words "First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we're enabling developers to support cross-network play as well."

Then in the case of devs wanting to target PC - Console they still have the problem of not being able to target all and have to target one set that being Xbox - PC or PS4 - PC. So the devs wanting to target PC - Xbox have mostly being always able to. It's just likely aren't many devs that want to have separate implementations like Psyonix have with RL atm being Xbox - PC/PC - PS4.

Shock32

Psyonix/Rocket League will probably be the first game to be truly cross network play if it even happens.

Yep I think there's been enough this since Rocket League announced their plans for Sony to evaluate their stance. Whilst we don't know the time frame for when they started to talk with MS it would have likely been around the time they released it which was in February 2016. Announcement for MS allowing cross network play on XBL without requiring Winstore/Win10 was in March.

And given the Durham from Psyonix goes from he feels it was more of a matter of time to evaluate things which is understandable based on how the announcement from MS came to "It’s definitely something we still want to happen" definitively sounds more like that has happened and it's more about changing Sony's mindset on things.

Sigh... Here we go we this shit again.

This isn't really the case anymore based on everything we know one company is more open to console to console play then the other(MS). The COD situation is hard to know as it could very well be Activision fault for not wanting to spend the investment to implement cross play or it could be MS's policies at least when thinking interaction with PC - Xbox. Then again those are the platform interactions MS have been happy with so am more inclined to believe Activ is at fault based on what that port represents.

Also saying Sony stance was "One platformholder has a long history of it not even being a question" is not true. Like MS devs would have had to meet their policies and they have been seemingly opposed to cross platform play(Console to Console) for some time

Which never happened iirc.

Of all the parties that is very unlikely. They are not opposed to anything like that see GOG galaxy/Rocket League etc.

We don't know anything and probably never will. That's the point, who knows what the other demands and requires for cross-console play.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Yea, but if crossplay between the consoles themselves are allowed, then it significantly weakens the "follow your friends" factor. Someone could buy an Xbox to play Forza and still play Destiny with their friends on PS4, whereas today they'd likely instead buy the PS4. It helps maintain momentum, and did wonders for the 360 in the US.
There is still no matchmaking with friends or party chat with friends - or ability to communicate with them at all practically.

It's private lobbies, who cares.

Chris1

There is still no matchmaking with friends or party chat with friends - or ability to communicate with them at all practically.

Yet. That would be the next step.

I believe Play Anywhere titles have matchmaking with friends aswell. Party chat also but anyone on PC has Xbox party chat, regardless of what they're doing on their PC

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
well, it is not even that we can't. There is crossplay with 360 due to the geniuses at the BC team

No there isn't. X720 players playing BC titles are playing 360 titles that THINK they are being played on the 360. There's no "cross-play" there.

leeh

This is totally a real scenario. Being part of a healthier player pool has notable benefits. In smaller pools you'll often find yourself matched with the same people constantly, or dealing with shit connections due to few people in your area playing. That's not even considering if you have some specific friends on the other platform... that's enough for many people to base their console purchase on alone.
If so, we all know it's going to be a minute percentage. We're a forum of gamers, when do you read people picking multi-plats due to player pools? Then especially with more the casual scene..

This reminds me of the concern trolling on here before RL had cross-play and people saying there were no players on Xbox. There was.

Spades

Care to expand?

Simply because for the most part, player population is considerably higher on PS4 than on Xbox.

For what it's worth, I spend 80% of my gaming time on Xbox as that's where my friends are. But as a hardcore Destiny player, I'd love 150%+ more players to play with, believe me. Unfortunately, the only way I can play with my PS4 buddies is to play on my PS4 copy of Destiny - a console I might not have bought if crossplay didn't exist.

If so, we all know it's going to be a minute percentage. We're a forum of gamers, when do you read people picking multi-plats due to player pools? Then especially with more the casual scene..

This reminds me of the concern trolling on here before RL had cross-play and people saying there were no players on Xbox. There was.

Hehe. The Xbox One population concern controlling is very funny in hindsight.

EmiPrime

exactly, well how would crossplay make people not wanna buy multiplat games anymore?

Where did I say that?

if anything it lets them want to buy their console of choice so they won't have to worry about the whole "buy the console your friends are buying" bullshit

Well yeah, that's what I personally want (more than just a unified random player pool). I want a unified friends list between XBL and PSN by linking your PSN and Xbox accounts and for someone on PSN to be able to send me a game or party invite while I am on Xbox. That's the dream anyway! I appreciate it might not be very realistic.

Dead online games are a very real scenario and the risk of it does influence buying habits. Check any Tekken 7 topic on here for proof.

Synth

Depends on the game I guess. Destiny's useless in regards to matchmaking anyway. The one crossplay game I did play was SFV, where I was on PC and my friend was on PS4. The implementation was kinda clunky, but at the end of the day, we could play. If we couldn't I would have bought it on PS4 instead. Crossplay took my sale from Sony and handed it to Valve.

Synth

I don't read that. I typically just read that people buy what their friends have, and often that's because they just need to be able to play with them.

In regards to playercounts, I'm not talking stuff like Rocket League. I'm talking more niche stuff like say DOA5LR where I'm left feeling like I legit fucked up by picking the XB1 version instead of the PS4 version, as that one seems to be where everyone else is.

Xbox fanboy and Xbox concern troll in the same thread... I'm not very popular.

Was that the same 1 where he talked about MS not having any answers to Sony's questions on how it'd work?

Probably. This was also pretty close to the E3 announcement of it if I recall as well. The general attitude about it though suggested that all that aside, he didn't think it was a big benefit to the consumer. Considering his position at Sony at the time, I wouldn't be surprised if that was their general stance on it internally.

Kayant

I think Adam Boyes's comments on the Bombcast right before/when he left Sony were telling as well. He was basically downplaying the benefit of it (to players) and making excuses about how complicated integration would be (even though it realistically wouldn't be any different than what they do with SFV).
Actually he isn't wrong it terms of it being complicated because in the case of it being truly Cross-network play with parties and the like it will be completely up to devs to implement. Console manufactures are not going to help there it's partly the reason Pysonix likely haven't done it Rocket League aside of not having all platforms being able to play yet.

Edit -
Probably. This was also pretty close to the E3 announcement of it if I recall as well. The general attitude about it though suggested that all that aside, he didn't think it was a big benefit to the consumer. Considering his position at Sony, I wouldn't be surprised if that was they're general stance on it internally.
That comment was in terms of party systems and the like in which case he isn't wrong majority of people wouldn't want to have multiple account for different games because they is what would be needed if devs want to implement parties and such.

leeh

Dead online games are a very real scenario and the risk of it does influence buying habits. Check any Tekken 7 topic on here for proof.
I checked but I don't really see anything..

It could influence a minor subset of players. We all know it's not a large reason for buying choices. The only people who could think about this is people who own both consoles, which isn't that many in the grand-scheme, and then the percentage of them who pick based on that thought, rather than a controller for example.

Simply because for the most part, player population is considerably higher on PS4 than on Xbox.

For what it's worth, I spend 80% of my gaming time on Xbox as that's where my friends are. But as a hardcore Destiny player, I'd love 150%+ more players to play with, believe me. Unfortunately, the only way I can play with my PS4 buddies is to play on my PS4 copy of Destiny - a console I might not have bought if crossplay didn't exist.
Yeah, but with this cross-play solution you still wouldn't be able to do that.

As someone playing RL on Xbox, I can't invite someone from Steam to matchmake with in a party.

I don't read that. I typically just read that people buy what their friends have, and often that's because they just need to be able to play with them.

In regards to playercounts, I'm not talking stuff like Rocket League. I'm talking more niche stuff like say DOA5LR where I'm left feeling like I legit fucked up by picking the XB1 version instead of the PS4 version, as that one seems to be where everyone else is.

That's not what's been blocked and even been put forward for cross-play though, and they're games which are more asain market dominated and prominent for the PS4 anyway.

Synth

Yeah, but with this cross-play solution you still wouldn't be able to do that.

As someone playing RL on Xbox, I can't invite someone from Steam to matchmake with in a party.

That's just an implementation factor... what you're saying is like suggesting people can't group up into parties on FFXIV. It isn't true.

That's not what's been blocked and even been put forward for cross-play though, and they're games which are more asain market dominated and prominent for the PS4 anyway.

Everything's blocked. It's basically all-or-nothing with something like this. And when it becomes "all", then what seems like a small consideration would likely become a lot larger when people can start to expect it.

EmiPrime

Nah, you're doing alright!

I checked but I don't really see anything..

It could influence a minor subset of players. We all know it's not a large reason for buying choices. The only people who could think about this is people who own both consoles, which isn't that many in the grand-scheme, and then the percentage of them who pick based on that thought, rather than a controller for example.

It's definitely there!

It influences everyone who cares about fighting games and who can only afford or only wants one console. That audience is on PS4 now and with no cross play between console networks that's where they are going to stay. That Tekken 7 is almost a defacto PS4 exclusive for those who want to play online because of the player pools is a bad situation for Xbox.

Kayant

We don't know anything and probably never will. That's the point, who knows what the other demands and requires for cross-console play.
Whilst that will always be true we have some idea of what things are like in terms of Sony's stance because of Psyonix's Dunham comments and given the timeframe and Psynoix being in the position of having the best insight into cross-console play it's not a bad assertion to make that MS are the more open party in this case atm with the information we have.

Luminaire

Why would anyone think you're a fanboy or a troll? Yo bring up great points, many being counterpoints to my own. Keep it up, as discussion is worlds better than people pointing fingers and saying whose court the ball is in.

I wish the DOA5LR servers were cross network. Sometimes I can't find a game at all on PS4 and when I do, it's someone with a kid screaming while rap is blasting and they have a 2-bar connection. :(

1) It's kinda weird to announce cross-network play before other networks agreed to it.

2) There's still no reason for Sony to agree to this. PSN has far more active users (assumption based on twice as many PS4s sold) than XBL, which makes this kind of deal pointless for them. The only one profiting is Microsoft.

see5harp

It doesn't matter. Even if implemented for multiplayer you would in all likelihood lose the shit that matters like party invites and voice chat. It's good for games like rocket league where you can solo queue and pretty much get an identical experience.

leeh

Why would anyone think you're a fanboy or a troll? Yo bring up great points, many being counterpoints to my own. Keep it up, as discussion is worlds better than people pointing fingers and saying whose court the ball is in.

I wish the DOA5LR servers were cross network. Sometimes I can't find a game at all on PS4 and when I do, it's someone with a kid screaming while rap is blasting and they have a 2-bar connection. :(
You just invalidated his argument as he made the assumption the PS4 version was alive, whereas the Xbox version was dead.

The reality is then, both versions would benefit from cross-play.

Chris1

It doesn't matter. Even if implemented for multiplayer you would in all likelihood lose the shit that matters like party invites and voice chat. It's good for games like rocket league where you can solo queue and pretty much get an identical experience.

What makes you think that if cross play took off, games wouldn't have party invites and voice chat?

Where did I say that?
you said they want people to buy multiplats on Ps4, not xbone, and I don't understand how crossplay would change that

Well yeah, that's what I personally want (more than just a unified random player pool). I want a unified friends list between XBL and PSN by linking your PSN and Xbox accounts and for someone on PSN to be able to send me a game or party invite while I am on Xbox. That's the dream anyway! I appreciate it might not be very realistic.
realistically they could pull it off on a game by game basis. perhaps it wouldn't be possible at all to add them as your friends

EmiPrime

What makes you think that if cross play took off, games wouldn't have party invites and voice chat?

That requires significantly more cooperation between MS and Sony and backend stuff than just cross platform random match making but it's what I want to see.

Chris1

That's a huge task for all parties involved.

That requires significantly more cooperation between MS and Sony and backend stuff than just cross platform random match making but it's what I want to see.

I'm not talking about system level, I obviously don't expect that.

I mean in game friends list, parties, voice chat. Yes this would be up to the developer, but if crossplay became a thing, they would put the effort in.

EmiPrime

you said they want people to buy multiplats on Ps4, not xbone, and I don't understand how crossplay would change that

I already explained why, not going to rehash a previous post sorry!

realistically they could pull it off on a game by game basis. perhaps it wouldn't be possible at all to add them as your friends

The per-game thing with per-game user IDs like with SFV is a bit crap IMO. I'd rather not have that.

Actually he isn't wrong it terms of it being complicated because in the case of it being truly Cross-network play with parties and the like it will be completely up to devs to implement. Console manufactures are not going to help there it's partly the reason Pysonix likely haven't done it Rocket League aside of not having all platforms being able to play yet.
I have no doubt about the complication of the backend. IIRC he was mostly questioning how the communities would realistically integrate on the surface which is a problem already solved with their PS4/PC cross play games.

Edit -

That comment was in terms of party systems and the like in which case he isn't wrong majority of people wouldn't want to have multiple account for different games because they is what would be needed if devs want to implement parties and such.
I'm not necessarily saying he's wrong on that end (though I do think he's downplaying the increase to population part). I'm mostly pointing out that talk is the closest we have to insight in to how Sony feels about this whole thing.

Chris1

They're still all handled by platform specific API's.
You're not understanding me. Ok how can I put this...

Load up Rocket league, you are automatically given an ID (think Battle.net tag). There is a new menu, we'll call it cross play. In here you have friends list, which you can add peoples ID to add to your friends list. You can also start a private chat with them and invite others for party chat, but done within the game (this is already done on a wider scale with team-only in game chat)

This would be ALL on the developer with Sony / MS not having to do anything that's not already done or in place

Lifeline

Dead lobbies.. lol.

Over 33k playing BF1 right now on Xbox One.

Dead lobbies? So you are saying PSN lobbies are more populated than XBL lobbies? Any proof for this?

The game just came out, of course its's going to be populated now.

BF1 Right Now:
Xbox One: 44k
PS4: 89k

BF4 Right Now:
Xbox One: 7k
PS4:14k

BFH Right now:
Xbox One: 1.9K
PS4: 3.3k

PS4 steadily maintains an almost twice as large playerbase. These are just the big popular multiplayer games. Once you go to more niche games, they'll become dead on the Xbox sooner than the PS4. Cross multiplayer will clearly benefit one platform more over the other.

The benefit is good PR.

They started out this year so strong, I don't think they need more good PR.

leeh

Load up Rocket league, you are automatically given an ID (think Battle.net tag). There is a new menu, we'll call it cross play. In here you have friends list, which you can add peoples ID to add to your friends list. You can also start a private chat with them and invite others for party chat, but done within the game (this is already done on a wider scale with team-only in game chat)

This would be ALL on the developer with Sony / MS not having to do anything that's not already done or in place
I got you, but that isn't allowed, and for good reason. Then it's also very expensive, considering developers would be re-inventing the wheel for hardly any monetary benefit.

EmiPrime

That's extra work for the developer and it's a nuisance for the end user. I hate having to use another username for SFV and the authentication with Capcom's rubbish servers adds to the initial load times.

Chris1

The game just came out, of course its's going to be populated now.

BF1 Right Now:
Xbox One: 44k
PS4: 89k

BF4 Right Now:
Xbox One: 7k
PS4:14k

BFH Right now:
Xbox One: 1.9K
PS4: 3.3k

PS4 steadily maintains an almost twice as large playerbase. These are just the big popular multiplayer games. Once you go to more niche games, they'll become dead on the Xbox sooner than the PS4. Cross multiplayer will clearly benefit one platform more over the other.

They started out this year so strong, I don't think they need more good PR.

Probably has something to do with Xbox's main audience being 1PM on a weekday, while PS4 is all round the world. For example the 24 hour peak of those games are much closer than what you posted.

BF1
XBOXONE Peak 24h 75,938
PS4 Peak 24h 106,063

BF4

XBOXONE Peak 24h 12,427
PS4 Peak 24h 16,485

So on

Lifeline

Probably has something to do with Xbox's main audience being 1PM on a weekday, while PS4 is all round the world. For example the 24 hour peak of those games are much closer than what you posted.

BF1
XBOXONE Peak 24h 75,938
PS4 Peak 24h 106,063

BF4

XBOXONE Peak 24h 12,427
PS4 Peak 24h 16,485

So on

That doesn't really change my point. If someone were to turn on their game right now, they would find games faster on the PS4, and would find it easier to get into to lesser played modes and custom games than on the Xbox One.

That's a advantage that Sony would lose if they did cross platform play.

Top Bottom