• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its been a year since Xbox Announced Cross-Network Play

leeh

That doesn't really change my point. If someone were to turn on their game right now, they would find games faster on the PS4, and would find it easier to get into to lesser played modes and custom games than on the Xbox One.

That's a advantage that Sony would lose if they did cross platform play.
At 5 figures player numbers?

Chris1

I got you, but that isn't allowed, and for good reason. Then it's also very expensive, considering developers would be re-inventing the wheel for hardly any monetary benefit.
It's not allowed? Link to this? Or is that just speculation? If they're allowed to do crossplay, I seriously doubt MS or Sony will go "Ok you can do crossplay, but not here, not this part of the game, only this part". At the end of the day both PS4 and XB1 players would be playing with each other regardless which is all that really is on a technical level, there's no reason it'd be "not allowed"

I want to say some games already have in game friends list but I can't think of any other than some PC games

That's extra work for the developer and it's a nuisance for the end user. I hate having to use another username for SFV and the authentication with Capcom's rubbish servers adds to the initial load times.
it wouldn't be another username (well it could be I guess), just have it automatically assign you an ID that's forever tied to your gamertag or PS ID. Also wouldn't need to use it, you wouldn't need to connect to their servers unless you're in the cross play menu. So any servers or load times would only be an issue if you're specifically wanting to play with someone from another platform, otherwise it wouldn't be. Is a few seconds of "optional" loading screen really that much of an issue that you wouldn't want to party up with your friends on a different platform? Lol

It'd be a do it once, done forever type of thing though. It's not like they're gonna need to redo it all for every single game they make, they'd just copy and paste the code over. And developers do stuff all the time without monetary gain (this in response to both)

Come on dude. You are living in a dreamworld. I'd be surprised if they could even display a damn avatar from a competing system.

Avatars are completely different to what I'm saying and you'd need to connect from XBL>PSN for that or vice verser, but ok. Unless the avatar is in game anyways, like CoD emblem editor.

Lifeline

At 5 figures player numbers?

Like i already said:

The game just came out, of course its's going to be populated now.

BF1 Right Now:
Xbox One: 44k
PS4: 89k

BF4 Right Now:
Xbox One: 7k
PS4:14k

BFH Right now:
Xbox One: 1.9K
PS4: 3.3k

PS4 steadily maintains an almost twice as large playerbase. These are just the big popular multiplayer games. Once you go to more niche games, they'll become dead on the Xbox sooner than the PS4. Cross multiplayer will clearly benefit one platform more over the other.

They started out this year so strong, I don't think they need more good PR.

We're talking since MS announced this. They made their statement and everyone was quick to jump on Sony because MS made a PR statement and a few devs were ready to roll. In response, many people were quick to jump on MS about FF14. It's been a lot of fingerprinting. Since announcement, MS has barely supported cross network play. We should be seeing numerous multi platform games on PS4, PC, and XB1 being XB1+PC since Sony is seemingly not wanting to play ball. If Sony is truly the problem, let that be shown. My comments are that it's a PR spin and not truly something they were planning to fight for. Actions speak louder than words, and there seems to be a lot of inaction all around.

It's Microsoft after. They like to keep those little ugly details hidden.

When Windows 10 was annouced I was going to upgrade day 1 but as time went on we started to learn ugly truth about ads, enforced upgrades robbing you out of control of your pc and impossible to completly shutdown telemetry.

leeh

It's not allowed? Link to this? Or is that just speculation? If they're allowed to do crossplay, I seriously doubt MS or Sony will go "Ok you can do crossplay, but not here, not this part of the game, only this part". At the end of the day both PS4 and XB1 players would be playing with each other regardless which is all that really is on a technical level, there's no reason it'd be "not allowed"

I want to say some games already have in game friends list but I can't think of any
More speculation, but more evident considering there's not an example of any game (on Xbox) which circumvents the XBL API's for any social interaction.

If developers create their own social platform, you're creating it from scratch and it's more likely for it to fall flat on it's face when released. It then doesn't tie into your platform and creates segregation within games rather than you making a friend in a game and then being able to play another game easily with that person. Just look at what was said before on the last page around Capcom and SFV which clearly has it's own implementation.

Games which have in-game friends lists, like Overwatch, use the XBL API's to pull that friendslist down. On Xbox, any one deemed as a friend, is a friend on your Xbox, not just on that game.

Floody

I thought of a benefit it could have for Sony (also MS too depending on the game), I don't think many would like it though. It could be used to directly market console exclusive items, it's scummy as fuck, but I think would be pretty effective. Destiny as an example if you see plenty of users running around with a Hawkmoon (was PS exclusive and 1 of the best weapons in the game) you'd probably want one too, as it stands those users can just ignore them as they never really see them in action unless they go out of their way to find it, but this way it'd be in their face. I'm sure that'd open the floodgates for other games though, so wouldn't be beneficial to consumers.

EmiPrime

it wouldn't be another username (well it could be I guess), just have it automatically assign you an ID that's forever tied to your gamertag or PS ID. Also wouldn't need to use it, you wouldn't need to connect to their servers unless you're in the cross play menu. So any servers or load times would only be an issue if you're specifically wanting to play with someone from another platform, otherwise it wouldn't be. Is a few seconds of "optional" loading screen really that much of an issue that you wouldn't want to party up with your friends on a different platform? Lol

It'd be a do it once, done forever type of thing though. It's not like they're gonna need to redo it all for every single game they make, they'd just copy and paste the code over. And developers do stuff all the time without monetary gain (this in response to both)

I disagree as a matter of principal sorry. This is a burden that should be on the platform holders, not developers. These bespoke solutions are almost always worse than the built-in system solutions too which is bad for the end user as well as being an additional hassle (see SFV).

Chris1

More speculation, but more evident considering there's not an example of any game (on Xbox) which circumvents the XBL API's for any social interaction.

If developers create their own social platform, you're creating it from scratch and it's more likely for it to fall flat on it's face when released. Just look at what was said before on the last page around Capcom and SFV which clearly has it's own implementation.

Games which have in-game friends lists, like Overwatch, use the XBL API's to pull that friendslist down. On Xbox, any one deemed as a friend, is a friend on your Xbox, not just on that game.
Well to say that's not allowed, you know how ridiculous that's gonna sound? Like Sony or MS would have to go to developers and say "Okay we'll allow crossplay, but you can't do it on these specific screens/frames, everywhere else is fair game".. Like that in itself just sounds ridiculous. On a technical level all that's happening is PS and Xbox gamers are connected to each other, and that would happen regardless of in game friends list or not. Plus.. Do you really think MS or Sony is gonna tell developers how to make their games? Crossplay is one thing cause they're connecting to each others networks, but to dictate what features can go into their games? That's not gonna happen.

Well technically it wouldn't be from scratch as a lot of it is already there and used in other ways (such as team side in game chat). I responded to the SFV thing to the other guy, plus, is one bad implementation really a reason to shut the idea down completely? That's just silly.. I haven't played SFV so I don't really know much about how it works but yeah.

I was talking about specific in game FL, I know there's a few games on PC with that but not sure Xbox. Even if not, that's because it's already done on a system level and there's no reason to put the work in for something that's already done. Crossplay would open up new possibilities and give a reason to do it.

leeh

Well to say that's not allowed, you know how ridiculous that's gonna sound? Like Sony or MS would have to go to developers and say "Okay we'll allow crossplay, but you can't do it on these specific screens/frames, everywhere else is fair game".. Like that in itself just sounds ridiculous. On a technical level all that's happening is PS and Xbox gamers are connected to each other, and that would happen regardless of in game friends list or not. Plus.. Do you really think MS or Sony is gonna tell developers how to make their games? Crossplay is one thing cause they're connecting to each others networks, but to dictate what features can go into their games? That's not gonna happen.

Well technically it wouldn't be from scratch as a lot of it is already there and used in other ways (such as team side in game chat). I responded to the SFV thing to the other guy, plus, is one bad implementation really a reason to shut the idea down completely? That's just silly.. I haven't played SFV so I don't really know much about how it works but yeah.

I was talking about specific in game FL, I know there's a few games on PC with that but not sure Xbox. Even if not, that's because it's already done on a system level and there's no reason to put the work in for something that's already done. Crossplay would open up new possibilities and give a reason to do it.
It isn't allowed. Ofc it isn't, or it would of been done by now.

I'm done in here. Simple point is, Sony have no reason to not allow this.

Chris1

It isn't allowed. Ofc it isn't, or it would of been done by now.

I'm done in here. Simple point is, Sony have no reason to not allow this.
Um, wait a minute. My posts were under the assumption that cross play was allowed & happened and speaking strictly about in game friends list, party and matchmaking not whether or not crossplay will happen.

Right now cross play hasn't happened, so there is literally zero reason to have a separate in game friends list etc when the platforms themselves have it already. If crossplay happened, there would be a reason to do so.

see5harp

Avatars are completely different to what I'm saying and you'd need to connect from XBL>PSN for that or vice verser, but ok. Unless the avatar is in game anyways, like CoD emblem editor.

You're right it's not exactly the same thing but to me having to create a special sort of account with rocket league and then have the game have to go out and work with both other platform API's for invites, chat, etc. is unrealistic. It's entirely possible as companies have made things work with free to play games but from my experiences with those games, the multiplayer components work shitty compared to the standard games and make people manage a completely separate friends list.

So assuming it's all Sony's fault why are there so few crossplay games between Xbox and PC?

Also I Yoshida has also said that the ball is in MS's court regarding FFXIV.

Kayant

I'm not necessarily saying he's wrong on that end (though I do think he's downplaying the increase to population part). I'm mostly pointing out that talk is the closest we have to insight in to how Sony feels about this whole thing.
Rewatching the podcast I don't see it as necessarily downplaying it more his opinion is the compromise of the "integrated experience for increased playerbase doesn't seem like a worthy tradeoff due to things like needing to make external accounts, not being able to invite specific people. His argument is that if a game has issue with playerbase then there might be another issues to look at such as age of the game, type of game which if we look at some examples is true(Battleborne, Evolve).

I personally don't see it as giving an insight into Sony's current stance mainly because if the argument is about the intergrated experience being compromise it has already happened with PC/PS4 cross play title with their external account and stuff. I feel this just his opinion on things.

Raide

So assuming it's all Sony's fault why are there so few crossplay games between Xbox and PC?

Mouse and Keyboard versus Controller is probably one of the bigger factors why more games don't have crossplay.

Mouse and Keyboard versus Controller is probably one of the bigger factors why more games don't have crossplay.

Eh I don't think that's a huge issue. Like Rocket League when you do crossplay you are doing it knowingly so you are accepting the possible disadvantage. Also just have it be unranked.

Raide

Eh I don't think that's a huge issue. Like Rocket League when you do crossplay you are doing it knowingly so you are accepting the possible disadvantage. Also just have it be unranked.

It's not a huge issue but it's probably one of the main reasons more games are not crossplay. Some Devs just don't like mixing things up and unbalancing gameplay.

Chris1

KB&M. There's quite a few PC games that's cross play though. The play anywhere titles, Gwent, Rocket League and I might be missing some. Most of them are the PA ones though.

Yoshida said "MS doesn't understand how MMO's work" with FFXIV. I'm pretty sure (speculation) that's because MS requires cross play to be optional, but you can't really do that with an MMO and have both crossplay and just Xbox One servers. FFXIV is an MMO issue, not necessarily cross play.

"Microsoft actually approached the Final Fantasy 14 team about the cross-platform opportunity," Yoshida told Polygon. "When our team reviewed the regulations that are associated with that, we realized that Microsoft may not have the experience or understanding of running an MMORPG as an online game genre just yet. The Final Fantasy 14 team has fed back to Microsoft that there are certain elements of its regulations that we would have to consider waived. We're waiting on Microsoft's response for that, but we are having discussions."

GodofWine

Microsoft will only allow it until they regain the market place advantage, and Sony will only disallow it until they lose the market place advantage.

Therefore hence hereforwith, it shall not ever occur.

That's what I mean. Given the whole fucking Steam/WindowsStore debacle for Call of Duty, I don't want to think Sony has 100% of the blame.

Head.spawn

Do ps4 players really want to play with the Xbox Live community? I don't.

What the hell does this even mean?

Is there some sacred shit I'm missing while I play a game on PS4? Maybe you've heard that when I load up my Xbox One I get all Dr. Jekyll or something?

Don't believe the rumors.

It's up to the developers. Most don't care to do it because of the extra work. Psyonix has it figured out cause it built the game for crossplay and circumvents all the things platform holders are weary of. Clearly Sony is the roadblock here for this particular game as has been stated by Psyonix many time.

Sony doesn't want to matchmaking with Microsoft. It's simple as that and within their right. I won't defend it though cause it fucking sucks. Makes it so Xbox players can't join RLCS with the rest of us. makes it so private lobbies need to be segregated for one platform or another. "Why would Sony do this?" Because it's good for gamers and for the Rocket League community as a whole. You're on a gaming forum think as a gamer and not a shill.

Lol, as if MS cares either. The whole affair was a PR stunt.

This is such a stupid stance. They gave Psyonix the go ahead. How is that a stunt?

Good lord.

Tecnniqe

Banned

12ClTeBg4yvkiI.gif

Kayant

KB&M. There's quite a few PC games that's cross play though. The play anywhere titles, Gwent, Rocket League and I might be missing some. Most of them are the PA ones though.

Yoshida said "MS doesn't understand how MMO's work" with FFXIV. I'm pretty sure (speculation) that's because MS requires cross play to be optional, but you can't really do that with an MMO and have both crossplay and just Xbox One servers. FFXIV is an MMO issue, not necessarily cross play.
That would still be more of a cross play issue as it's policy/requirement needed to have crossplay between Xbox and other networks it just affects MMO's more than other genres/games.

The requirement for there to be an option to disable crossplay is from MS btw.

Edit -

I see 😘

Chris1

That would still be more of a cross play issue as it's policy/requirement needed to have crossplay between Xbox and other networks it just affects MMO's more than other genres/games.

The requirement for there to be an option to disable crossplay is from MS btw.
Well yeah it's still a cross play thing but you know what I mean :p What I meant was that the situation with FFXIV is unique to MMO's (maybe some other genres? cant think of any though) and not cross play in general.

Yes I know it's MS requirement, I said that :p A fair one IMO, but it sucks about FFXIV for sure.

This was just another MS PR stunt. They were trying to play the perception game (Which they have been all gen) while the reality was Xbox Live had been the hold up for years on crossplay but now that they were getting their asses kicked they FINALLY got around changing their Xbox Live rules for devs/sharing/crossplay. Then they tried to parlay that into making people look at Sony while they were a generation late on adding that crossplay feature.

This was a pipedream from the start and was played up more by fanboys than anyone else. Sony has zero to gain by allowing people on PSN to play with Xbox Live, and MS has everything to gain by doing it.

Kysen

Its all about the ecosystem. Sony wants you to stay in theirs. after all the inroads they made this gen(esp in the US) there's no way they want to give all that up.

Synth

That's what I mean. Given the whole fucking Steam/WindowsStore debacle for Call of Duty, I don't want to think Sony has 100% of the blame.

The Call of Duty stuff is on Activision. The developer needs to make a game crossplay (maybe the WinStore version shouldn't have been an XBL game to begin with?). MS allowing it, isn't the same as MS writing it into games that aren't theirs.

This was just another MS PR stunt. They were trying to play the perception game (Which they have been all gen) while the reality was Xbox Live had been the hold up for years on crossplay but now that they were getting their asses kicked they FINALLY got around changing their Xbox Live rules for devs/sharing/crossplay. Then they tried to parlay that into making people look at Sony while they were a generation late on adding that crossplay feature.

This was a pipedream from the start and was played up more by fanboys than anyone else. Sony has zero to gain by allowing people on PSN to play with Xbox Live, and MS has everything to gain by doing it.

If the reality was as simple as "MS was the holdup", then the moment they allowed it Rocket League should have been able to play across both. So did Sony change their stance, or was it all just a "PR stunt" from their side too, until they had their bluff called on it? It wouldn't be a pipedream if they were/are as open to it as your post is suggesting.

Wedzi

Banned
Has there been any word on whether or not Destiny will have any cross play with XB1 and PC? I'd figured since so much of Destiny is cooperative based it could be possible for the Strikes, Raids and story mode.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
That was always dead. Why would Sony give that freebie to MS?

Bad business.

Even then it just seems fishy. Given MS' Window 10 push and their obsession with telemetry, there probably is some kind of Windows 10 requirement baked into their "It's up to Sony now" statements.

I just want to play Destiny on PC with my Xbox peeps, I'll even buy it on the Windows Store if I must, though I would rather get the physical LE.

Mandoric

Banned
The Call of Duty stuff is on Activision. The developer needs to make a game crossplay (maybe the WinStore version shouldn't have been an XBL game to begin with?). MS allowing it, isn't the same as MS writing it into games that aren't theirs.

If the reality was as simple as "MS was the holdup", then the moment they allowed it Rocket League should have been able to play across both. So did Sony change their stance, or was it all just a "PR stunt" from their side too, until they had their bluff called on it? It wouldn't be a pipedream if they were/are as open to it as your post is suggesting.

For all we know, MS is demanding an XBL-only option while Sony is demanding only unified queues. This certainly fits the several cross-plat games that exist on Sony platforms, including cross-plat with XBox thanks to one-time exceptions from Microsoft (no exception needed from Sony because, again, we have a decade of crossplat history from Sony but only very specific limited cutouts from MS.)

Synth

For all we know, MS is demanding an XBL-only option while Sony is demanding only unified queues. This certainly fits the several cross-plat games that exist on Sony platforms, including cross-plat with XBox thanks to one-time exceptions from Microsoft (no exception needed from Sony because, again, we have a decade of crossplat history from Sony but only very specific limited cutouts from MS.)

No.

We know MS demands an XBL only option, because they publically told us.

We also know that Sony doesn't demand unified only, because both Rocket League and Street Fighter V allow for the option to only play against other PSN players.

So no... you're not using facts. Rocket League should qualify for crossplay between both, but it doesn't because as the devs stated, Sony hasn't approved of it. You're trying way too hard to find Sony an out here, where there doesn't really seem to be one.

Why are we claiming Microsoft announced cross play to 'differentiate' from Sony? We are aware that Sony has been doing this since the ps2 days and continues to do so today, right? I don't get it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Cross play with PC is in Killer Instinct, Gears, Rocket League, Gwent and a few others.

PSN Crossplay? That won't happen. Sony aren't playing ball there.

Mandoric

Banned
No.

We know MS demands an XBL only option, because they publically told us.

We also know that Sony doesn't demand unified only, because both Rocket League and Street Fighter V allow for the option to only play against other PSN players.

So no... you're not using facts. Rocket League should qualify for crossplay between both, but it doesn't because as the devs stated, Sony hasn't approved of it. You're trying way too hard to find Sony an out here, where there doesn't really seem to be one.

Sony could well be demanding unified only or no playing with PS players.

You're trying desperately hard to find a way MS could be telling the whole truth when, as has been pointed out repeatedly to you, games are coming out with PS-3DS-Wii-Switch-PC-Android-iOS cross-play, with none of those platform-holders batting an eye.

Again: is literally every other platform-holder secretly conspiring against the company selling around 50 consoles a week in that market? Really?

Synth

Why are we claiming Microsoft announced cross play to 'differentiate' from Sony? We are aware that Sony has been doing this since the ps2 days and continues to do so today, right? I don't get it.

The word "differentiate" has been used exactly once in this thread prior to your post...

Matt

MS wants crossplay because their significantly lower userbase hurts the long term experience for multiplayer games compared to PS4. For Sony, they would lose a competitive advantage for no real gain.

MS announcing this was an attempt to get popular support against Sony, and also earn some PR points.

In addition, technical and other such issues make the whole thing more complicated on the back end.

Basically MS gains from offering this, and they gain from it happening. For Sony, on the other hand, it's lose-lose.

Synth

Sony could well be demanding unified only or no playing with PS players.

You're trying desperately hard to find a way MS could be telling the whole truth when, as has been pointed out repeatedly to you, games are coming out with PS-3DS-Wii-Switch-PC-Android-iOS cross-play, with none of those platform-holders batting an eye.

Sorry, but this makes zero sense. Why the hell would "unified only" or "optional, but then no other consoles" make any sense as a restriction?

I don't need to find ways for MS to be telling the truth... other developers are telling you that they are also. MS could have said nothing at all, and the comments from Psyonix and CDPR would have painted the same picture... just like comments from devs last gen did for PS3.

You're quick to talk about MS examples being "exceptions", but don't seem to apply that same logic to Sony with Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy... especially considering that an MMO implementation doesn't need to directly connect players of the two ecosystems p2p. We don't seem to actually have an example of that being allowed, and the Pure Chess situation seems to suggest it isn't, as Ripstone apparently ended up in the same situation as Psyonix and CDPR when they tried.

Lastly... you're continuously trying to paint me as someone that will just argue this in MS' favour... that isn't the case, and when the shoe was on the other foot, my stance was almost exactly opposite.

While MS have been touted as responsible for a lack of PS/PC/Xbox servers, I'm not entirely sure that Sony themselves would allow PS/Xbox cross play. To my knowledge they have never done so, and as a result I think it reasonable to assume it's not just down to MS when it comes to mixing all three. We only have one example when MS said no, but we have no examples where Sony said yes, if you get me.
They have though. Final Fantasy IX... as soon as MS granted an exception, all three platforms played together. There's literally no evidence to suggest this wouldn't be the case with any other game MS allowed it to happen with.
I'm legitimately surprised how many posts are claiming that its both, or unknowable in here.

I mean, there's definitely a conversation to be had whether or not the tradeoffs of cross-platform vs standardisation are worth it... but not who's preventing it.

Turns out that when MS did allow it, Sony were quick to prove me wrong.

Mandoric

Banned
Sorry, but this makes zero sense. Why the hell would "unified only" or "optional, but then no other consoles" make any sense as a restriction?

I don't need to find ways for MS to be telling the truth... other developers are telling you that they are also. MS could have said nothing at all, and the comments from Psyonix and CDPR would have painted the same picture... just like comments from devs last gen did for PS3.

You're quick to talk about MS examples being "exceptions", but don't seem to apply that same logic to Sony with Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy... especially considering that an MMO implementation doesn't need to directly connect players of the two ecosystems p2p. We don't seem to actually have an example of that being allowed, and the Pure Chess situation seems to suggest it isn't, as Ripstone apparently ended up in the same situation as Psyonix and CDPR when they tried.

Lastly... you're continuously trying to paint me as someone that will just argue this in MS' favour... that isn't the case, and when the shoe was on the other foot, my stance was almost exactly opposite.

Turns out that when MS did allow it, Sony were quick to prove me wrong.

You're treating actually shipping games as equal to statements to IGN. Until you focus on a strong history of actual shipping games as opposed to a strong history of bullshitting and occasional oneoff exceptions, you're either extremely disingenuous or shilling.

P2P is a possible exception, but again, this points to MS as the issue; the other half of their "let Japanese publishers have their MMOs" binge was PSU, which WAS P2P and featured PS2/PC and X360 matchmaking.

And "unified or we're out" makes plenty of sense for Sony - again, they don't profit by forcing Xbone players to sit in queue for 30 seconds instead of 20 because honestly who cares anywhere NEAR as much as they profit from taking away that "my friends are all on Live" argument that's sold so many Xboxes. MS benefit more by far from locked-down userbases, because the only userbase they have right now is the locked-down one.

Please explain how my argument is outdated. I still don't see ffxiv coming to Xbox platforms? People are hinging their entire argument on rocket league and we still don't know anything About what's going on behind the scenes other than 'we asked Sony about it' im pretty sure I'm up to date as far as public knowledge goes
I mean there's also Gwent
https://www.vg247.com/2016/07/23/cd...-paves-the-way-for-gwent-cross-platform-play/

And Mantis Burn Racing
http://www.icxm.net/x/burn-mantis-racing-voo-foo-studios-sep-23-16-comment.html

But I'm sure 3 devs still aren't enough proof for some people lol

I think Adam Boyes's comments on the Bombcast right before/when he left Sony were telling as well. He was basically downplaying the benefit of it (to players) and making excuses about how complicated integration would be (even though it realistically wouldn't be any different than what they do with SFV).
Boyes is BSing then. Psyonix, CDPR and VooDoo all basicaly have to just push a button. They have MS approval and need Sony approval. Not sure what's complicated if those devs are ready to go.

Synth

You're treating actually shipping games as equal to statements to IGN. Until you focus on a strong history of actual shipping games as opposed to a strong history of bullshitting and occasional oneoff exceptions, you're either extremely disingenuous or shilling.

P2P is a possible exception, but again, this points to MS as the issue; the other half of their "let Japanese publishers have their MMOs" binge was PSU, which WAS P2P and featured PS2/PC and X360 matchmaking.

Are you taking the piss? How is something like Rocket League not actually shipping games? Obviously there won't be examples of shipping an XBL/PSN crossplay game unless it's actually allowed by both MS and Sony. This is such a stupid statement to make.

How in the hell would Sony not allowing p2p crossplay (aka the vast majority of all online gaming) point to MS as the issue? Phantasy Star Universe was server-based btw...

"History" means little in the face of new evidence. Once PSN multiplayer was free, now it isn't. Once XBL was required for Netflix, now it isn't. Etc. If you want to talk about history, then there's been far more this generation to suggest that Sony are being restrictive than there is with MS (EA Access, Early Access games, Bethesda mods, etc).

And "unified or we're out" makes plenty of sense for Sony - again, they don't profit by forcing Xbone players to sit in queue for 30 seconds instead of 20 because honestly who cares anywhere NEAR as much as they profit from taking away that "my friends are all on Live" argument that's sold so many Xboxes. MS benefit more by far from locked-down userbases, because the only userbase they have right now is the locked-down one.

Why would "unified or we're out" make sense, rather than just a blanket "no XBL"? All the reasoning you give applies even more to simply not letting XBL in either way. Having players be allowed to opt out actually makes sense as a clause, because crossplay itself actually affects user experience (potential cheaters, OS-level social interactions don't work, etc).

Top Bottom