• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's good to have a backlog!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I sometimes call it my backlog, but honestly using that term makes it seem like a chore. I have a game LIBRARY. I have a large variety of games to choose from when I'm in the mood to play something. It's not a list I have to check off, it's a collection I can peruse at my leisure.

Philia

I sometimes call it my backlog, but honestly using that term makes it seem like a chore. I have a game LIBRARY. I have a large variety of games to choose from when I'm in the mood to play something. It's not a list I have to check off, it's a collection I can peruse at my leisure.

That's TRUE. Game library has a more of a positive annotation to it. :D

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I view my backlog as a library and play what I want when I want and no one else has to like it or approve. Some people always have an emotional response in these threads to what someone on the internet does with their time/hobby/money that affects them in no way whatsoever, which is more worrisome than whether I ever get around to playing all my games.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
My backlog takes up space in my house and I never play any of my old games. I did myself a favour and eBayed a huge chunk of my backlog and bought new games with the money I made!

Tenrius

That's TRUE. Game library has a more of a positive annotation to it. :D

I view my backlog as a library and play what I want when I want and no one else has to like it or approve. Some people always have an emotional response in these threads to what someone on the internet does with their time/hobby/money that affects them in no way whatsoever, which is more worrisome than whether I ever get around to playing all my games.

I like calling it a library too.

Artorias

Banned
I'm not bothered by my backlog. I have a backlog from PS2/GBA/GC still and it doesn't paralyze me like it does some. I regularly pick up games I haven't played in years and put a few hours into it.

I try not to start more than 2 RPGs at a time, so I have a pretty intense library of unplayed RPG's, but that's exciting for me. Most of them I would consider timeless so I'm in no rush. I have racked up a lot of clearanced games that I don't plan on adding to the permanent collection this gen so I would like to get through more of those, but I usually put on whatever I feel like at the moment since the cheapie games are worth nothing in trade.

Ra1den

I disagree. I think the ideal is to have NO backlog. This helps eliminate the "treating games as work" mentality that most of us have fallen into at some point in our lives. Deciding to sell off my collection is the best thing I ever did.

I took it even further and deleted my massive spreadsheet of every single game I would like to play, which I used to determine what to play next. I was treating even a damn list as a backlog of sorts and would think "ooooh if i finish this then I can get through this then I can get through this..." like it was some job. This is absurd considering there are no benefits to completing games other than your enjoyment WHILE you play them. Pretending that some sort of benefits will accrue to you if you beat all these games is silly, yet it's so easy to fall into that trap. I assume it's the same delusional mentality that all sorts of collectors have, thinking their life will be fulfilled if they amass these collections of useless trinkets.

Now I think only about the game I'm currently playing. And I make sure my brain understands that I am playing these for fun in the moment, not for some delusional ideal of completing x number of games.

Seriously, acquiring games is so easy these days with digital download and Ebay, there is no reason to accumulate a backlog. Sure SOME games may be more expensive later, but the VAST majority will be CHEAPER later.

This is just how I see things, having been very deep in the "collector" mentality for the majority of my life and now being free from it. If others see things differently I respect that.

kodt

Banned
3 game backlog is ok.

300 game backlog is not.

Those of us on Steam and/or iOS have backlogs well over 300 games.

I don't think the problem is that people have a backlog, its that they have obsessive buying habits. Buying three games because you really want them and there is a Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale is acceptable and hopefully you'll get to them all. Buying the Dungeons and Dragons Classic Anthology or every Dragon Quest game ever made with some delusional belief that you're going to beat them all is something very different.

plc268

I don't treat my games as a backlog anymore. I think of it as a library of games that I can go to and play whatever I want on a whim's notice. I spend a lot of money on games I admit, but rarely at full price (steam sales). And I never feel pressured anymore to finish games, because I know it's an unrealistic goal to even finish half of them for me.

So, I just play what I want and have fun. I frequently pick up games that have good sales, simply because I may be interested in playing them in the future. Whether I do or not, who cares? I've wasted more money on takeout lunch as opposed to some random game.

ironcreed

Banned
I recently cut mine in half by selling my 360. I still have loads to play on my PS3, with more on the way, plus the PS4. It was already ridiculous and was about to get a whole lot worse.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
3 game backlog is ok.

300 game backlog is not.

I don't even think my huge backlog is such a problem. I still play my games; I just don't always finish them, so they end up on the backlog. I've got an absolutely gigantic library, and I can play just about any type of game I can think of at the drop of a hat.

I do have rather strict rules on what counts as a part of the backlog or not. I have to beat the main campaign and get to the credit screen to remove a game, or it has to be a game that cannot be beaten in the traditional sense(The Sims, Planetside 2, Beat Hazard.)

I've got 34 hours in Tropico 4 and 55 hours in GTA4 and both are still unfinished in my backlog.

http://backloggery.com/oneironaut

Ra1den

Well then, I don't have a backlog. I have a collection of games I can play sometime in the future if I feel like it!

Are you referring to your unplayed games?

I've always thought of my "library" as games I've already completed, and all the untouched games I own as my "backlog." If you are able to treat your unplayed games the exact same as a library of completed games, then I would agree there is no harm in a backlog (other than potentially wasted money). Though there is no benefit either.

I certainly couldn't do that though. There was always the pressure to hurry up and complete my current game so I could get to the next one.

Welp, I just got to move Art Style: Aquia to 'beaten'. Never stops feeling good.

Good game, by the way. Standard match-three game with a fun gimmick and excellent sound design and graphical polish. Well worth the 100 Club Nintendo coins you can currently get it for (US only).

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Are you referring to your unplayed games?

I've always thought of my "library" as games I've already completed, and all the untouched games I own as my "backlog." If you are able to treat your unplayed games the exact same as a library of completed games, then I would agree there is no harm in a backlog (other than potentially wasted money). Though there is no benefit either.

I certainly couldn't do that though. There was always the pressure to hurry up and complete my current game so I could get to the next one.

I never buy a game for full price unless I'm planning on playing it to completion immediately. Everything else is just stuff on sale that I decided to add to the collection. I'm in no hurry to finish these things, as I'll get to them eventually. I don't consider it wasted money, since it's nice to have a variety of games I want to play already here when I'm in the mood to play them. I'm rather fickle, and when I run out of steam on one genre I jump to another.

I do the same thing with my book library. And it makes me quite happy to have all these choices around. “What's the point of having a library full of books you've already read?” is definitely a motto of mine about both books and games.

xJavonta

Banned
Nobody should ever consider a backlog a problem. It means you have very first world problems and live comfortably enough to afford a backlog in the first place. Be a little appreciative of your position in life.

I get where you're coming from but please, leave stuff like this in OT.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
3 game backlog is ok.

300 game backlog is not.

While I'm not against having a Backlog, I agree with the Steam thing. I look at my Steam library and think "Why the fuck do I have 90% of this shit? I have zero interest in most of it."

Minions

Buy games at $10 then you don't need to worry about "wasting money" or having a backlog. The games will always resell for more than you paid, new or used.

Great success.

Teknoman

While we're on the subject of backlogs, I have some free time coming up.

Should I play Fallout New Vegas or Deus Ex?

Deus Ex.

EDIT: People should treat Steam (aka PC in general) as they would a system. Dont buy stuff just because its there. If its cheap and you know you want it or are interested, then go for it.

Also thats where retro or RPG backlogs benefit (the toughest backlogs are usually RPG centric), most games will stay worth what you paid if not more later on.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
While I'm not against having a Backlog, I agree with the Steam thing. I look at my Steam library and think "Why the fuck do I have 90% of this shit? I have zero interest in most of it."

I know sales convince people to buy stuff they wouldn't otherwise, but I'm still amazed that people actually do. I only buy games I actually want and intend to play, not just because it's cheap. I have a handful of games on Steam I will probably never play, and those came in bundles with games I actually wanted. Like Burn Zombie, Burn. (Which I actually DID play a little bit of. I decided to go through every game on my Steam list and play it for at least a half hour to weed out those few games I have no interest in. That was one of them. I did not have any illusions going into it that I would enjoy it, but it was actually worse than I had imagined.)

Teknoman

I know sales convince people to buy stuff they wouldn't otherwise, but I'm still amazed that people actually do. I only buy games I actually want and intend to play, not just because it's cheap. I have a handful of games on Steam I will probably never play, and those came in bundles with games I actually wanted. Like Burn Zombie, Burn. (Which I actually DID play a little bit of. I decided to go through every game on my Steam list and play it for at least a half hour to weed out those few games I have no interest in. That was one of them. I did not have any illusions going into it that I would enjoy it, but it was actually worse than I had imagined.)

Some people are just cheap impulse buyers. They buy it for the fact that it may never go on sale again...or at least thats what i'm guessing.

Instead of maintaining a back log, I think it's better to maintain a classic stable of "return to" games. Games you know are good and you can go back to time and time again.

For one, it's cheaper (you already have them). For two, it's more economical time wise. If a new game comes out you want to play, it's much easier to put down a game you've already beaten for it, and much easier to pick it back up right where you left off.

Backlog? Yes.
Hoarding games? No. That's just wasting money.

But then again, it depends on why you bought a game. Not all games are games you buy because you desperately want to beat it and see everything that's in it.
I have several games in my "Why not?" category in Steam that I bought just to test - Company of Heroes, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Wings of Prey, etc.

It's only a backlog game if you haven't met your goal with the purchase of it.

WX3

A backlog for myself is something that just became part of my gaming habits this generation. Prior to this, there just wasn't anyway for me to build on one because most games I purchased were completed rather quick. There was also prominent rental facilities on almost every corner, and if I don't own it, I don't include it in my backlog. There also wasn't GameStop everywhere that offered two for one or buy two get one sales that allowed me to build a collection of titles that I could collect and play in the future, not to mention being unable to trade in the games that I had finished. Ebay wasn't there for me to sell my old, used titles, or to buy a few at a good price. No Steam sales or ridiculous bundles existed, and that alone contributes by far the most to my backlog.

While I agree it is indeed good to be able to have a few games sitting on the shelf to play when you finish a title, I hate the fact that if I was to continue the purchasing habits of this generation there will not be anyway for me to ever finish off all of these games! While I don't plan to cease my buying, I have to learn that money spent on titles not played for months on end are monies that could have been put to use elsewhere. I wouldn't run my business the same way I buy games that's a fact! But it is hard for me to understand this simple financial aspect when gaming is involved, thus I build a backlog. If I filled my warehouse with stuff that I will use in the future, I'd hurt my bottom dollar by spending money on stuff that I won't see earn me money for sometime down the road.

dab0ne

I'm starting to enjoy my backlog because it's preventing me from buying new games, unless I really really want them. Now I can wait until they're on sale. My backlog prevented me from buying MGS Revengence and now I'm glad I waited because it was announced for PC.

IrishNinja

eh, im okay with mine...sometimes i buy stuff way before i play it but usually at a price i want. every year or two i try to go through it and delete stuff i admit im not gonna play though, no need to make a chore of it

also yayyy backloggery

Hasney

No, it really isn't good. Do you know how many times I stare at Steam and just think "SO MANY GAMES WHAT SHALL I PLAY?!" and then just boot up Team Fortress 2? I'm a weak human being.

Duster

After watching Doomsday Preppers and hearing the various anti-consumer rumours about the next-gen I've decided my backlog is actually a way of preparing for a bleak dystopian gaming future.

Tenrius

Deus EX...

i have over 200 games in my backlog... should take me up until the new gen gets a price drop and console redesigns/slimming ;)

Yeah, that's how I do things. I only got PS3 in late 2012 and I still have some PS2, PC and DS games to play. Don't think I'll get a PS4 earlier than in several years.

trmas

Banned
I've stopped buying games new... I usually am always in the LTTP threads because I will not justify $60 for a new game. I wait 6 months and NEVER spend more than $30 anymore. I have become the definition of a casual gamer - but then life has its priorities.

Alucrid

Banned
I don't have a physical backlog (steam doesn't count) since it's largely a waste. I'll have a backlog of games I should buy and play but I won't horde them.

sublimit

Banned
If next gen platform holders do something really idiotic with their consoles then my backlog will come in handy.

......No it isn't. You might die before even playing some of your games. Or even worst, just realize you've been wasting money all this time.

If your next console has BC but no games. Then I guess.

I like my backlog, but I have wasted a lot of money rebuying certain games because I didn't finish them the first time I bought them. Honestly, it was so bad that I am thinking that the only next gen console I will get is WiiU just so I can use it as a replacement Wii.

Also the idea that I may die before I get through my backlog is oddly hilarious to me. It is like a dumb version of the author who dies before his saga is complete. Sometimes the collection is the part I enjoy as much as actually playing them.

Also the idea that I may die before I get through my backlog is oddly hilarious to me. It is like a dumb version of the author who dies before his saga is complete. Sometimes the collection is the part I enjoy as much as actually playing them.

lmao, I just pictured an old man reaching for his game collection before death, then dying.

ampere

The OP has the right attitude. Does it even have to be called a 'backlog'? Can't it just be 'play whatever game you feel like playing at the time'?

I own a number of games that I have not beaten yet or would like to play again. Right now I'm playing Fez, if that stops being fun or I beat it I'll play something else. If I buy a game that I'm really excited about I will play it prior to finishing whatever game I am currently playing (ex: BioShock Infinite). I think turning playing games into a list that you are trying to complete can take away a lot of the fun and create unnecessary stress.

MrT-Tar

Having a very moderate backlog, like 1-2 games per system is pretty useful imo. It helps you keep gaming during a software drought and/or if you are temporarily short of money.

For example, I almost completely cleared my Wii backlog during the sort of software drought that existed from the PAL release of The Last Story in February 2012 to the WiiU's launch in November. I cleared my Wii backlog in January and now only have a very small 3DS backlog.

Top Bottom