• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's that backlog?

draliko

it's not going well but I've changed approach... i don't mind leaving behind games i don't find funny... this really helps. Happened with rdr2 recently, tried to get in the game for 10 hours, didn't click, uninstalled and goodbye. I play to have fun, not to let a gamerscore grow. Time is way more precious than money, and i want to enjoy my spare time. As i grow older i also tend to prefer "gameplay first" games to cutscene infested wannabe movies (some exception apply, loved death stranding).

Aurelius

My backlog is manageable.

2023 Gaming Backlog - Dusting off those unplayed games. | NeoGAF

I only list games that I actually payed money for. Not games that I want to play on Gamepass or PS Plus. Those go on my wishlist.

I bought some games for Switch for the summer holiday, but ended up playing a lot less then anticipated because of how great the weather was. I also bought an Xbox X (Diablo IV bundle) for Starfield, which I’m clearing my schedule for.

foamdino

As I've been away from my PC/PS5 combo with just a macbook, I've attacked my legacy steam sale purchases ("only $x go on I'll pick it up").

Finished this summer:
  • The Banner Saga 3
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Deep Sky Derelicts
Which is good as there's a *lot* of things on ps++ and of course BG3, Starfield (and other games I've delayed until Christmas presents for the lad).

2023 has been an excellent year for my particular taste in games - in my opinion the last 18 months have been the best ever - but then I thought then entire PS3/360 gen was utter shite so...

I'm early retired, I live alone so no distractions from family, but even with those perks I'm at the stage where I'm resigned to my fate when it comes to my game library.

It's better when you sigh and accept that even if you had half the games you do, and all the free time you wanted, you would not 'clear' that backlog, or unplayed library as I euphemistically prefer to call it.

gela94

There will be a time in our lifes where we have to choose which game will be the last of our lifetime.
Korean Drama Crying GIF by The Swoon

Persona 3
Persona 4
Witcher 2
Oblivion
Mass Effect remake

Soon I’ll have Baldur’s Gate 3, Phantom Liberty, and Elden Ring DLC too. They are my priorities and then I’ll probably makes a start on Persona 3 and go in the order above.

Maybe I’ll fit Starfield in somewhere too.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Solid for me.

Playing Mafia 3 and and Elden Ring at the moment.

On Backlog I have Diablo 4 and the Pharaoh Remake. Former I may have to quit for good because it is unplayably laggy and Pharao is more of less my forever game as I do just a mission ever couple of months.

Ready to play Starfield with no bad concience.

Last edited:

NeonDelta

I trimmed my backlog by hiding all the games I have no intention of playing/beating. Now my backlog has about 20 games.

Leviathicus

Neo Member

Joking aside this is an interesting subject. I've been a PC gamer for 26 years and I built a huge collection on Steam, from AAA to indies. 3 months ago I bought myself a console for the first time (Playstation 5) and I feel like games have more "value" for me here for some reason. I have SO MANY games on pc that I really don't feel like playing anything, like I get more enjoyment out of buying games than actually playing them, on console is the other way around. I know it doesn't make much sense but games being more expensive and having less quantity is somehow working better for me. Choice paralysis maybe?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Well, I finally started playing through Quake II if that gives you some idea.

oji-san

Banned
Not that big, i have couple of games i downloaded from PS Plus like Destroy All Humans 1 and 2, The Division 2 and few more games i already played from my collection.. those are games i don't really sure i will like or games i have already played but there are games like Hogwarts Legacy and Dead Island 2 that i'm waiting for a discount. Currently i don't play anything and will wait for Starfield.

SHA

By all accounts, this year has been fucking insane with amazing release after amazing release and it's still not even close to over.

I haven't had enough time to finish anything before the next haymaker comes. It's absurd, but what a good problem to have!

I always have a sizeable backlog, but this year has turned it into a parody of itself. How are we supposed to get through even half these games!?

Hell, despite loving Diablo 2 and 3 and buying the "here's my money" edition of D4, I haven't even touched Diablo 4 yet outside of the betas!

When will this madness end!? I gotta start thinking of quitting my job or something.
Could you make a list?

Kerotan

My backlog got slashed this year thanks to losing interest in Warzone. All those freed up hours.

I've platinumed like 30 game's this year and completed a few more.

Here's my remaining backlog.

4UPjmQ3.png

Plus on my ps3 LA Noire's DLC, MW3 spec ops DLC and GTA 4 single player as I've just finished the multiplayer trophy grind.

I'll more then likely play far cry 5 and New dawn. New game's are MGS Collection, Spiderman 2 and mw3. The rate at Which I'm completing games far outweighs how frequently they release.

Almost finished lost planet 3 and I've a TV series list which myself and the missus have almost complete so that'll be even more free time. The goal is to clear it fully at some stage next year.

Kings Field

22 games on switch
15 games on ps5
5 games on Series X

Most of them are RPGs.

Currently playing through AC6 on PS5 and right after gonna dive into Remnant 2. TCM is taking away some of the time for those games as I’m addicted.

Solidus_T

Ever since the release of Baldur's Gate 3, it's been sitting as swollen as ever. It'll keep growing for a while. Hell, I might be playing BG3 and AC VI for a whole year.

I have 3 games that I’m trying to focus on

Armored Core 6
Baldurs Gate 3
Tears of the Kingdom

I have a bunch of games I play whenever I feel like it but have no pressure because they can’t be completed. Games like CS:GO, Diablo 4, Fortnite.

There are 4 games I’ve bought that I plan on playing.

And 6 games I want to buy that aren’t out yet.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I've been flitting between different types of games, I already have 200+ games on steam along with gamepass but then I get interested in something new and have to get more. I got a Quest 2 and now have a big library of VR games. But then I swutched and started playing couch co-op games with my kids so invested in a bunch so now I also have a library of couch co-op games. But then people keep upgrading or modding games I already own so now I have HL2 VR in my VR list and Quake 2 in the couch co-op list.

Markio128

Just started getting into Watchdogs Legion. I’ve had it on Ps5 almost since launch and never really gave it a chance. It’s actually a really decent game, slightly spoilt by the gobshites that inhabit future London.

Also playing NMS on PSVR2 which is awesome after the recent update.

Other than that, the backlog doesn’t have too much pull, so I’m saving myself for Starfield and BG3.

BlakeofT

Backlog is huge if you count all the "free" and free games that get offered all the time. The backlog of games that I'm actually exited to play is much smaller, but still pretty large I think. One of the main problems for me was that I was absolutely hooked on Destiny since it came out in 2014 until about this time last year when I quit it cold turkey. Since then I think I've beaten more games than I did during the time I was a Destiny player. I don't think that it's necessarily bad to be committed mostly to a single game or anything. But for me I was still buying new games and not completing them... So yeah, I think it's feasible for me to actually go back and complete the ones I really care about as long as I avoid the addictive "play forever" kind of games. Another problem though is that there are great looking games coming out all the time, especially this year!

Bry0

Blowing through it fast. Still won’t clear some of the older games on my list before starfield but that’s fine. The “old gen” backlog is just there for when I get bored of everything else. Just wrapping up a couple games this week and I’ll be pretty much free.

I don’t play games I have just to finish them if I’m really not enjoying it. Learned a long time ago that finishing games with gold games or ps+ games just for the sake of it is a total waste of energy if I’m not really having fun.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Ever since the release of Baldur's Gate 3, it's been sitting as swollen as ever. It'll keep growing for a while. Hell, I might be playing BG3 and AC VI for a whole year.
Playing Pillars of Eternity, then maybe DOS2 while deciding if I should buy BG3 when it releases on Mac next week.

tmlDan

honestly, im doing pretty good, i binge play the games i want to when they come out and had no interest in AC6.

I am ready for Starfield, just chilling doing genshin/star rail dailies

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I play a lot of games, but I also buy a lot of games. I like having options.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Terrible.

Starfield is only going to make more games go on it. I think I'm gonna need to do a quick-cleanse in November/December, cause October is PACKED>

FunkMiller

I've tried to be picky as fuck this year, so I don't get a massive backlog, but I've still yet to complete Hogwart's Legacy. I ended up selling FF16 on Ebay because it was dull. I've not subscribed to GP or PS+ this summer as I was playing ToTK through most of it. And I've held off on stuff like Armoured Core & BG3, because I knew Starfield was right around the corner. So I don't have the backlog guilts... before plunging balls deep into Todd's latest marathon.

My problem's going to be how long I play Starfield for, given that I want to get Space Marine 2, Spider-man 2, Alan Wake 2, & SMB Wonder.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Taking a look see ...

Company of Heroes 3 I was looking forward to but it's sitting there played only 10 hours or so.
Gotham Knights, surprisingly I ended up finishing that game. I actually liked it. No, not as good as Arkham Knight, but I feel it was better than it got credit for.
Everspace 2 I burned myself out on it during the long EA so I haven't much touched it since released.
Hardspace Shipbreaker, another one that is good but I played heck out of it in EA and haven't touched launch.
Hogwarts Legacy I'm pretty far into but the enthusiasm waned as it started to feel too repetitive. Also JEDI SURVIVOR came in and drew my attention away from it. Damn shame about the performance issues at release for these two games, killed any chance of GOTY consideration. But I thought both were great. I did beat Jedi.
Jagged Alliance 3, played about 6 hours so far, I can tell it's good but it's getting swamped with bigger releases.
Marvel's Midnight Suns, criminally underrated - was near the end when the first DLC came out so I restarted to incorporate it but didn't get too far.
Octopath 2 - barely touched it
Solasta - played the heck out of it
Victoria 3 - played the heck out of it
Darkest Dungeon 2 - not even in my Favorites anymore, terribly disappointed with it
Baldur's Gate 3 is dominating my playtime and I figure Starfield will in just under a week now too.

On console I played a fair bit of FF16 and Zelda. But nowadays I go through stretches of not playing anything at all. I'm much more of a dabbler than hardcore. Sometimes I want nothing to do with games and just want to shut my brain off or do other things. It feels normal and healthy but also means I have a big ass backlog, which I'm sure is normal in these parts.

A few older games that get big updates like Elite Dangerous and MechWarrior 5 have found their way back to my harddrive as well. SO overall yeah backlog not doing great.

_Ex_

In physical games alone, I easily own over a thousand I've not beaten (and largely not played) yet. Some of these purchases go back into the '90s. If I were to include digital games, that'd be another few hundred in addition. This doesn't bother me though, because I consider my "backlog" to be a library, not an unfinished pile of work.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Roufianos

Nonexistent. I've beaten RE4, Dead Space, FF16 and Jedi Survivor this year.

I also purchased but subsequently sold Hogwarts and Zelda.

Currently playing Armored Core and Remnant II before Starfield.

I guess I'm a lot more picky than most. I'm usually waiting for something to play as opposed to feeling overwhelmed.

nikos

It's endless. I'll buy a game one day and forget I did the next. I don't care anymore. I don't have to finish every game. I'm there for the experience, whether it lasts a few minutes or a few years.

stn

Its about 80 games, going back to the N64. I don't play a lot because of work so it takes me a lot of time to get through games. Especially the longer ones. My immediate goal is beating FF 16 (PS5), and I'm about 65% done.

Fools idol

Banned
I have games which I bought for the Playstation 2 at launch still in the shrinkwrap so that should tell you how it's going lols

I have games that I bought on steam 10+ years ago too. So many games so little time.
I had OCD as a kid and would compulsively finish games 100%. As I got older the time commitment for doing that got ever more difficult.

When my daughter was born I kind of realised then I would never clear it, and that I shall just pick what game to play at random regardless of it's position in the backlog and just enjoy games and life. It's the only way. OCD is a motherfucker

Last edited:
Top Bottom