• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's June. Why have we not heard anything about the PS5's M.2 expansion slot yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I do wonder why some of you need ALL your games installed at once. Not saying you're wrong to want that, but I personally don't see the need. I only play 2-3 games at once, and reinstalling something doesn't take long (well, maybe if it's a 100+ GB COD game, but I don't play those).

JeloSWE

Who cares, I have no need for an internal M.2 drive at the moment.
Sigh!, these types of comments are just soo... Either you're ignorant and believe that if you don't have a problem, then no one else have one. Or you just want to instigate reactions because you are a lite troll.

The way you could have put it. "It's not a problem for me but yeah, they sure are lagging behind their promise."

Last edited:

Garani

Sigh!, these types of comments are just soo... Either you're ignorant and believe that if you don't have a problem, then no one else have one. Or you just want to instigate reactions because you are a lite troll.
There are times when people make an issue about nothing.

Methos#1975

I do wonder why some of you need ALL your games installed at once. Not saying you're wrong to want that, but I personally don't see the need. I only play 2-3 games at once, and reinstalling something doesn't take long (well, maybe if it's a 100+ GB COD game, but I don't play those).
Biggest reason is peace of mind, you never know when a game might get pulled and become undownloadable.

GHG

that's... not even remotely true...

Actually it is.

I'd suggest you read the following post:

Have a look at the laptop benchmarks posted with the new phison e18 controller. Granted, that's from phison themselves so take with a pinch of salt, we will need to wait for some independent benchmarks before it can be 100% verified.

The corsair mp600 uses the old e16 controller that is notorious for heat issues when used continuously.

A lot of people don't realise this but the controller is the first point of failure on these drives in terms of what causes the heat (amd subsequent slow down) issues. The old e16 controller got very hot without heat sinks (there was a comprehensive reddit post that I read last year when I was shopping for a new SSD for my PC build at the time but I can't find it so this will have to do as a reference point for now regarding temperature):

Aorus-NVMe-Gen4-SSD-almacenamiento.jpg

To get a better idea of what you are looking at in terms of the hot spot above use this image of the same drive without the heatsink:

43767_gigabyte_aorus_nvme_gen4_ssd_internals2.jpg

As you can see, the hottest part of the drive is very much the controller.

It's well documented that the old e16 controller was rushed in order to enable manufacturers to have "4.0" SSD's available at the time of AMD's X570 chipset launch but the e16 has major shortcomings as a result:

---

The e16 is 28nm while the e18 is 12nm.

Phison are making a big deal about highlighting the fact that this hew controller runs cooler:

Also a recent preview for the new e18 controller gives us some promising information:

Drives using the e18 have only just become available in the last month or so AFAIK.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Because after testing no drives are fast enough to keep up with the custom SSD in the PS5 and it's custom controller.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
And this will only become a bigger issue if Sony doesn't open up more storage issues as we struggle to balance are already existing PS4 collections with our growing PS5 collections. In this Era of BC and cross gen gaming, it's absurd to think one HDD enough. Not all of us are interested in deleting games and having to debate which of our games we store and which ones we don't. The competition allows more flexibility in this matter, so why is Sony lagging behind?
It's an especially annoying issue for me because my ISP has data caps, so I can't delete and redownload 100s of GBs of games very easily.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Biggest reason is peace of mind, you never know when a game might get pulled and become undownloadable.

Games I REALLY want to keep forever I buy in physical format (well, actually I do that with all AAA games, because it's significantly cheaper than the ludicrous EU/Swedish PS Store prices), but sure, I get your point.

wipeout364

Who cares, I have no need for an internal M.2 drive at the moment.
Unbelievable. I thought PS5 fans were only nasty to Xbox people, no idea why you would give this response to someone, it’s about as helpful as saying git good. If the OP was trolling it might be ok but they seem genuine in their inquiry.

Anyway on topic does anybody have any idea how hard it will be to install the second drive when they are available? I don’t have a PS5 but will definitely be looking for more storage When I do get one unless they release a 2 tb version which I am hoping.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Unbelievable. I thought PS5 fans were only nasty to Xbox people, no idea why you would give this response to someone, it’s about as helpful as saying git good. If the OP was trolling it might be ok but they seem genuine in their inquiry.

Anyway on topic does anybody have any idea how hard it will be to install the second drive when they are available? I don’t have a PS5 but will definitely be looking for more storage When I do get one unless they release a 2 tb version which I am hoping.
It seems pretty simple. Just a matter of installing the new drive in the M.2 slot after opening up the unit.

Last edited:
Have you tried that? Do you even have a PS5?. It takes almost as long to copy it to cold storage as reinstalling, and it can't be done in the background; so your system is stuck showing a progress bar until it completes.

I can see why it's useful for people with digital copies. Seems like it's a good way to not waste bandwidth.

Also what's the issue with the feature since it's just nice to have?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Because after testing no drives are fast enough to keep up with the custom SSD in the PS5 and it's custom controller.

Then there never will be a drive that works and that slot is useless cept for cold storage.
We have reached the limit of PCIE4.
Funny though because the PS5 raw speed is 5.5GB/s, PCIE4s are hitting 7.3GB/s.....but i guess 7 is way slower than 5.5.

well, the only drive that works with xbox costs 200 and imagine the ps5 one will cost just as much. So unless you're prepared to drop big stacks it may be a while until an affordable option that plays ps5 games is available

Pretty much.
Atleast NVme will eventually drop in price.....I have no idea if other manufacturers will make Series expansion cards so competition drives down the price.
We really need these hackers to up their game so we can make hack expansion cards.....200 bucks for 1TB is still a bitter pill to swallow.
vDvYVjT.jpg

Withnail

This is to PS5 what suspend/resume was to PS4 and in-game XMB was to PS3. It will arrive eventually and work as advertised, and later on people will forget that it was ever missing.

ManaByte

Then there never will be a drive that works and that slot is useless cept for cold storage.
Funny though because the PS5 raw speed is 5.5GB/s, PCIE4s are hitting 7.3GB/s.....but i guess 7 is way slower than 5.5.

Pretty much.
Atleast NVme will eventually drop in price.....I have no idea if other manufacturers will make Series expansion cards so competition drives down the price.
We really need these hackers to up their game so we can make hack expansion cards.....200 bucks for 1TB is still a bitter pill to swallow.
vDvYVjT.jpg

If you think that stings, look at the 2TB price. It's more than the digital PS5.

GuinGuin

Banned

Pretty much.
vDvYVjT.jpg

Those drives can't sustain those speeds for very long and they lack the I/O optimizations of the PS5 driver's controller.

Yeah sure. A tech company announces an expension bay for SSD's and realizes a few months later that the expension bay is useless because the drives can't keep up.

So why announce an expension in the first place?? This makes no f Sense.

well, the only drive that works with xbox costs 200 and imagine the ps5 one will cost just as much. So unless you're prepared to drop big stacks it may be a while until an affordable option that plays ps5 games is available

Still makes the Series drive seem really expensive in comparison due to the much slower speed. Sony doesn't control the NVME market so prices will drop. I'm not sure about the Series drives though. Seagate currently has a monopoly so the price is extremely high. No idea when other NVME manufacturers will release their own Series drives. I'm pretty sure Seagate has some sort of agreement to have that monopoly for a certain period of time.

GuinGuin

Banned
Have you tried that? Do you even have a PS5?. It takes almost as long to copy it to cold storage as reinstalling, and it can't be done in the background; so your system is stuck showing a progress bar until it completes.

From your angry posts I can tell you don't have a PS5. No, it doesn't take as long to copy as it does to download a game and the guy was specifically complaining about his ISPs data cap.

ManaByte

Those drives can't sustain those speeds for very long and they lack the I/O optimizations of the PS5 driver's controller.

I have the 2TB WD drive. Side by side Fortnite loads identically on both it and the PS5.

Cyberpunk loads in about 2 seconds.

GuinGuin

Banned
I have the 2TB WD drive. Side by side Fortnite loads identically on both it and the PS5.

Loading is not the only use. In games like Rift Apart there is constant asset streaming going on at high speed.

I believe what was said is that due to the additional priority levels you would need an SSD faster than the PS5s for it to work. Haven't heard anything else though.

GuinGuin

Banned
Yeah sure. A tech company announces an expension bay for SSD's and realizes a few months later that the expension bay is useless because the drives can't keep up.

So why announce an expension in the first place?? This makes no f Sense.

At the time they created and shipped the PS5 there were no drives available to test. They will now likely have to get manufacturers to create better controllers for their drives in order to match the performance of the one included in the PS5.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Pretty much.
vDvYVjT.jpg
Thats the same price as the Xbox Seagate card, which to me is way too much for a 1tb drive no matter how snazzy SSD is. I'll wait for it to be $100, or just live with shifting next gen games back and forth with my HDD.

In 2014 for Xbox One, I got a 3tb Seagate HDD for $110 cdn. Now for that price, you could probably get double the size.

Banned
a reminder that the PS4 was originally advertised as getting 4K30hz support shortly after launch...
the Trine devs even had a 4k30fps patch ready for Trine 2

there's also nothing stopping the PS4 from supporting 4K30hz

the patch just never came and Sony never talked about it ever again

:)

let's see how the 8K, VRR, expandable SSD storage PS5 will fair down the line

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
At the time they created and shipped the PS5 there were no drives available to test. They will now likely have to get manufacturers to create better controllers for their drives in order to match the performance of the one included in the PS5.

The controller is a part of the PS5 itself....

edit: Oh i guess the onboard flash controller matters.. but Cerny implied they were going to bypass it essentially, the PS5's on-board controller is what will be used

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom