• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate PCIe4 next-gen storage event on 23rd June

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well good thing is they can do a system update down the road if they want to allow externals that support speeds needed. My guess is an updated Series X (Series Y?) will either support M.2 or USB ports that support external drives with fast enough read/write.
I am surprised the console didn't ship with USB 4 to allow faster external read/write speeds so external drives could be used, but proprietary cards are a source of profit while taking a loss on consoles....

Not sure if it'll work on Series console as the internal and external one are using different type of NVMe, utilizing only 2x lanes instead of 4x. Not sure if there is an adapter for that, but if there is you can even use PCIe 3.0 at similar speeds or even higher with no problem, making you have access to very cheap options.

Well all I remember is that Cerny said the PS5 itself takes over dealing with the various priority levels, etc.

He said the M.2 drive's controller isn't going to be doing much, instead the PS5 will do it. But that's why they need extra speed to account for that.

Cerny never said the M.2 SSD needs a particular controller or DRAM. Just around 7 GB/s read speed.

Yes, the I/O will mimic those missing priority levels, but not the flash memory. PS5's flash memory though is the one that has 6 priority levels and of course designed to deal with 12-channel design instead of 8 or 4.

It'll be interesting to see if they can overcome this confusing situation.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I went with 8 cores Zen 2 CPU in 2019 when I upgraded from a quad-core 3rd gen i5. Had to go with Gen3 board at the time as the cheaper B550 chipset with Gen4 support wasn't a thing up until now, a bummer.
Yeah, I kept putting off building my PC for a few years and when I was ready (in 2020) I started paying attention to some things. I almost did the exact same thing but with a Ryzen 2600 and a lower tier mobo.

Learned alot in the past few years, and I dont really know that much, lol.

VAVA Mk2

You sure about the bold? That would mean 6 priority levels as well which is not what I understood from the Mark Cerny. I think it works only with the I/O perks so it need a similar flash controller on the external one.

Not sure if it'll work on Series console as the internal and external one are using different type of NVMe, utilizing only 2x lanes instead of 4x. Not sure if there is an adapter for that, but if there is you can even use PCIe 3.0 at similar speeds or even higher with no problem, making you have access to very cheap options.
Eh maybe later hardware revisions.

GHG

I agree.

Why is this thread being shitted on and being transformed on how the PS5 SSD works? How is PS5 SSD and Seagate SSD related? What relationship does Sony have with Seagate?

?

They don't need a relationship with seagate for a drive to potentially be compatible. If the drive can work at the required speeds then it will meet the spec requirements. The same goes for any hard drive manufacturer.

Similar discussions have taken place in topics about new Samsung SSD hardware (as an example) so why the upset?

kyliethicc

Yes, the I/O will mimic those missing priority levels, but not the flash memory. PS5's flash memory though is the one that has 6 priority levels and of course designed to deal with 12-channel design instead of 8 or 4.

It'll be interesting to see if they can overcome this confusing situation.
Its definitely gonna work. It'll be fine. Sony wouldn't have designed it that way if it was an issue.

kyliethicc

Well good thing is they can do a system update down the road if they want to allow externals that support speeds needed. My guess is an updated Series X (Series Y?) will either support M.2 or USB ports that support external drives with fast enough read/write.
I am surprised the console didn't ship with USB 4 to allow faster external read/write speeds so external drives could be used, but proprietary cards are a source of profit while taking a loss on consoles....
No chance. Xbox will only use their proprietary storage. It has its own dedicated port. They've committed.

And proprietary external storage is simpler & more profitable for Microsoft. They're not gonna support M.2 SSDs, they'd have to redesign the entire console and create a way for users to install an internal drive. They clearly did not like that option when designing Series X.

And I doubt they're ever gonna put fast USB ports on any Xbox. Xbox Series X is still only using USB-A @ 5 Gb/s.

S0ULZB0URNE

Would think so. Samsung and Corsair already have PCIe drives with 7,000Mb/s read speeds. Believe that is the speed Cerny highlighted in his tech reveal that would be needed for PS5 storage expansion options.
Unfortunately no PC gaming software to take advantage of it.

🤷‍♂️

Not sure if they will be able to use them compression techniques that the PS5's SSD uses?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Awesome. Be sure to let us know when there's a game that uses it.

This convo has reminded me of this:

2323.jpg

That's a strange comparison considering much of the gaming world is implementing SSD technology advancements, in some fashion, whether it is the various new drives like this Seagate SSD or Microsoft's DirectStorage API or Nvidia's RTX IO tech. So you think these advancements are simply going to be ignored by game developers? Why? As Md Ray Md Ray pointed out, R&C is already on the way. Hard to imagine devs not taking advantage of these IO speeds.

The comparison to Cell is wild.

....if thats the case.....MS also made a mistake.....and so has Epic....

The funny thing about Cell, it had a redemption story for Sony:

Slide 21

'Moreover, the hard-earned experience from developing the Cell/B.E. at a massive investment cost led to Sonyʼs semiconductor business capturing the worldʼs number one position in imaging applications. Applying the advanced MOS LSI technology acquired in developing the Cell/B.E. to the development of CMOS image sensors helped them achieve their superior position. In terms of human resources, system LSI, network and other engineers rapidly cultivated technological skills while Sony brought together hundreds of highly specialized human resources from outside the company. In 2015, for production bases of the semiconductor business, which had undergone restructuring in 2011, Sony announced a program to strengthen development and production of image sensors. Under the third mid-range plan, announced in 2018, Sony intends to maintain its number one position in imaging and become the global leader in sensing, both in the CMOS image sensor area.'

I do believe this is part of the thing MS and Sony agreed to for using Azure:

'As part of the memorandum of understanding, Sony and Microsoft will also explore collaboration in the areas of semiconductors and AI. For semiconductors, this includes potential joint development of new intelligent image sensor solutions. By integrating Sony’s cutting-edge image sensors with Microsoft’s Azure AI technology in a hybrid manner across cloud and edge, as well as solutions that leverage Sony’s semiconductors and Microsoft cloud technology, the companies aim to provide enhanced capabilities for enterprise customers. In terms of AI, the parties will explore incorporation of Microsoft’s advanced AI platform and tools in Sony consumer products, to provide highly intuitive and user-friendly AI experiences.'

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Is CDPR the only dev listed? Don’t recognize some of the logo.

edit: Jesus give it a rest with the SSD warz

edit2: how in the hell we end up with cell processor essays? Lol

Last edited:

GHG

2323.jpg

The comparison to Cell is wild.

....if thats the case.....MS also made a mistake.....and so has Epic....

The funny thing about Cell, it had a redemption story for Sony:

Slide 21

'Moreover, the hard-earned experience from developing the Cell/B.E. at a massive investment cost led to Sonyʼs semiconductor business capturing the worldʼs number one position in imaging applications. Applying the advanced MOS LSI technology acquired in developing the Cell/B.E. to the development of CMOS image sensors helped them achieve their superior position. In terms of human resources, system LSI, network and other engineers rapidly cultivated technological skills while Sony brought together hundreds of highly specialized human resources from outside the company. In 2015, for production bases of the semiconductor business, which had undergone restructuring in 2011, Sony announced a program to strengthen development and production of image sensors. Under the third mid-range plan, announced in 2018, Sony intends to maintain its number one position in imaging and become the global leader in sensing, both in the CMOS image sensor area.'

I do believe this is part of the thing MS and Sony agreed to for using Azure:

'As part of the memorandum of understanding, Sony and Microsoft will also explore collaboration in the areas of semiconductors and AI. For semiconductors, this includes potential joint development of new intelligent image sensor solutions. By integrating Sony’s cutting-edge image sensors with Microsoft’s Azure AI technology in a hybrid manner across cloud and edge, as well as solutions that leverage Sony’s semiconductors and Microsoft cloud technology, the companies aim to provide enhanced capabilities for enterprise customers. In terms of AI, the parties will explore incorporation of Microsoft’s advanced AI platform and tools in Sony consumer products, to provide highly intuitive and user-friendly AI experiences.'

Don't waste your time trying to have an intelligent discussion with that.

Topher

Gold Member
Unfortunately no PC gaming software to take advantage of it.

🤷‍♂️

Not sure if they will be able to use them compression techniques that the PS5's SSD uses?

That's the hope for RTX IO. I doubt they will see equivalent performance since they don't have the tight reigns on hardware as a console but at least breaking down some of the bottlenecks will help. I think we are not too far off on the PC gaming front where SSDs will be moving from "recommended" to "minimum" requirements.

Object pop-in and stutter can be reduced, and high-quality textures can be streamed at incredible rates, so even if you’re speeding through a world, everything runs and looks great. In addition, with lossless compression, game download and install sizes can be reduced, allowing gamers to store more games on their SSD while also improving their performance.

VAVA Mk2

No chance. Xbox will only use their proprietary storage. It has its own dedicated port. They've committed.

And proprietary external storage is simpler & more profitable for Microsoft. They're not gonna support M.2 SSDs, they'd have to redesign the entire console and create a way for users to install an internal drive. They clearly did not like that option when designing Series X.

And I doubt they're ever gonna put fast USB ports on any Xbox. Xbox Series X is still only using USB-A @ 5 Gb/s.
While you are likely right they did revise the 360 and add HDMI ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kyliethicc

This is probably why it's taking them so long to come out and announce PlayStation-approved M.2 drives.
I doubt it. My guess is same as the rumors from Bloomberg. They're waiting to add M.2 support because they'll need to increase fan speed and they wanted good press at launch about how quiet the PS5 is. And they want the M.2 drives to fall in price.

They will probably announce some marketing license deal with Seagate or Western Digital or whoever to put a PlayStation logo on some M.2 drive like they did with external HDDs for PS4. But that's a more long term thing, who knows when that'll happen.

Topher

Gold Member
While you are likely right they did revise the 360 and add HDMI ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, but they've already made licensing deals with Seagate to support their proprietary expansion design. Changing over to a standard port would effectively undercut that partnership. I imagine Microsoft stuck with proprietary storage for Xbox 360 for similar reasons.

VAVA Mk2

Yeah, but they've already made licensing deals with Seagate to support their proprietary expansion design. Changing over to a standard port would effectively undercut that partnership. I imagine Microsoft stuck with proprietary storage for Xbox 360 for similar reasons.
Yeah true. I just hope more options come out along with other vendors to help drive price down and bring more choice. 1 TB isn't enough.

kyliethicc

Yeah true. I just hope more options come out along with other vendors to help drive price down and bring more choice. 1 TB isn't enough.
Limiting competition, limiting choice, and forcing higher prices is the exact business idea behind proprietary storage.

It is simpler for marketing, and for users to understand. Xbox basically created like old school PS2 memory cards (but its an SSD.)

Sucks cuz its gonna be limited and expensive, but it works from day 1 and is simple to buy & use.

For now, best value on both systems is just use an external HDD. Cheap and high capacity. Not ideal, tho.

VAVA Mk2

Limiting competition, limiting choice, and forcing higher prices is the exact business idea behind proprietary storage.

It is simpler for marketing, and for users to understand. Xbox basically created like old school PS2 memory cards (but its an SSD.)

Sucks cuz its gonna be limited and expensive, but it works from day 1 and is simple to buy & use.

For now, best value on both systems is just use an external HDD. Cheap and high capacity. Not ideal, tho.
They said over time other hardware partners would be making cards for the port and more sizes. Question is when.

Dream-Knife

Banned
That's a strange comparison considering much of the gaming world is implementing SSD technology advancements, in some fashion, whether it is the various new drives like this Seagate SSD or Microsoft's DirectStorage API or Nvidia's RTX IO tech. So you think these advancements are simply going to be ignored by game developers? Why? As Md Ray Md Ray pointed out, R&C is already on the way. Hard to imagine devs not taking advantage of these IO speeds.
R&C could be made for the inferior xbox tech.

It will eventually be utilized, but it won't be for years.

Everytime people attempt to predict what the future of game dev is, always turns out to be wrong.

We are in 2005. Crysis hasn't come out yet.

?

They don't need a relationship with seagate for a drive to potentially be compatible. If the drive can work at the required speeds then it will meet the spec requirements. The same goes for any hard drive manufacturer.