• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's that time of year-time to watch Home Alone again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home Alone 1 is amazing. The other 2 are awful

Even as a 10 year old kid, watching Home Alone 2 I was like man, you are truly awful parents to have let this shit happen again. Also could you maybe help the homeless woman that protected your kid from a couple of murderers while you neglected him
I mean number 2 was clearly his own fault

Saya

Home Alone, Gremlins, LOTR trilogy, and the Harry Potter movies are a yearly re-watch for me around Christmas time.

peter0611

The Home Alone theme might as well be the Christmas theme to me. To be fair, it's hard to name a song by John Williams that doesn't evoke an emotional, nostalgic feeling out of me.

daveo42

Banned
I think you actually mean Die Hard.

Wait, people watch Home Alone once a year? Every year?

I half watch it when it comes on the TV during a family get together. Same with A Christmas Story. At this point, there is no reason to go out of your way to watch either as they both will end up as background noise at least 10 times in the span of a month.

krang

Home Alone 1 & 2, Elf, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Die Hard 1 & 2. But only in December. I'm disgusted by the people who watch Christmas movies in November or earlier (I'll just about forgive Die Hard).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Need some Scrooged in here.

I watch at least a half dozen variations of A Christmas Carol throughout the Holidays, and Scrooged is most certainly one of them.

-Scrooge (1977)
-A Christmas Carol (Patrick Stewart)
-A Christmas Carol (George Scott)
-Muppets Christmas Carol
-Scrooged
-Mickey's Christmas Carol

Disagree. Home Alone 2 has better traps but the first movie is far more entertaining.
Disagree. While Home Alone 1 is a very beautiful film, I think it's beaten by 2. The first film is quaint, focusing on the small-scale crisis of a kid being left alone at Christmas. But the second blows these themes across a far more compelling canvas, by translating it to NYC. There's just so much more to see, more to experience, and more to soak in. The big city during the holidays is a magical time & place, and Columbus really made the most of it. The gags are more ambitious, and Curry's scenery chewing is just phenomenal.

It's a bigger movie, where the humor is drawn from big slapstick & emotional setpeices.

I think you could make the case that 1 is a more meaningful contribution to pop culture (having originated so much), but 2 is just so much more satisfying.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
He becomes a sociopath in Home Alone 2.
This should be set in the seventies and become the prequel to American Psycho.

krang

Disagree. While Home Alone 1 is a very beautiful film, I think it's beaten by 2. The first film is quaint, focusing on the small-scale crisis of a kid being left alone at Christmas. But the second blows these themes across a far more compelling canvas, by translating it to NYC. There's just so much more to see, more to experience, and more to soak in. The big city during the holidays is a magical time & place, and Columbus really made the most of it. The gags are more ambitious, and Curry's scenery chewing is just phenomenal.

It's a bigger movie, where the humor is drawn from big slapstick & emotional setpeices.

I think you could make the case that 1 is a more meaningful contribution to pop culture (having originated so much), but 2 is just so much more satisfying.

I like Home Alone more because it's more focussed. The themes tend to be diluted by making a sequel bigger and more extravagant. Home Alone 2 is still great, though, just not quite as good.

Although Trump has ruined it forever.

Home Alone
Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story
A Muppet Christmas Carol
White Christmas
The Holiday
Elf
Earnest Saves Christmas
Die Hard

I Amays watch these every year in December
Yep. A Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite of the bunch.

I also have Muppet family Christmas on that list.

Great film, but I'll wait until December.

Buzz's girlfriend! Woof!

image.php

I like Home Alone more because it's more focussed. The themes tend to be diluted by making a sequel bigger and more extravagant. Home Alone 2 is still great, though, just not quite as good.

Although Trump has ruined it forever.
Very fair. If you're just looking for the core emotional beats, I can understand 1 as a preferred film. Part of what makes 2 so beloved for me, is the fact it knowingly mocks the faxt this has happened to the same kid a second time. It undermines a lot of the genuine themes of holiday loneliness - but shifts that focus to something knowingly extravagant.

Yet I think when most people come back to Home Alone, they do it for very hedonistic reasons. The emotional story takes a backseat to Kevin's pranking and tormenting of the bandits. Frankly, that's just done better in 2.

I should fan-edit Home Alone 2 to remove Trump.

J2 Cool

Home Alone's a perfect movie.

Really the ultimate kid empowerment film, playing out the whole fantasy in a really detailed fun way. Just engrossing to meditate on and get lost in as a kid. Perfectly building up the Christmas holiday atmosphere as it goes, Kevin's longing. The old man subplot's working the sober parallel story. Really adore the family depiction, side characters, fun comedic performances, iconic McCauley Kulkin, Fuller. My favorite christmas film, ahead of The Grinch, Mickey's Christmas Carol, and A Charlie Brown Christmas

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
When you are an Arachnophobic, Home Alone is the most terrifying film of all time.

I still can't watch any film with Daniel Stern in it.

krang

When you are an Arachnophobic, Home Alone is the most terrifying film of all time.

I still can't watch any film with Daniel Stern in it.

That girly squeal gets me every time, haha. It perfectly encapsulates the pinnacle of their misery.

xrnzaaas

Yep, here in Poland Home Alone 1 & 2 are played at least twice during Christmas time (and they score great ratings). It's happening probably since the movies were released and only once they were in jeopardy, but the viewers protested and the tv station had to play them. :)

Same goes for Die Hard, Christmas Vacation and a couple of other Christmas flicks. :)

KHlover

Banned
Home Alone, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Die Hard - the holy trifecta of christmas movies.

We also have "Der kleine Lord" here in Germany, but those are three big international movies that became a yearly tradition and get great ratings every single year. Not as big as "Dinner for One" on New Year, but tbh nothing really is.

KonradLaw

Here in Poland it became tradition that one of biggest tv networks (Polsat) airs it every Christimas. Few years back when it wasn't scheudled the public got incredibly angry. There were letters, facebook campaigns etc. So the network caved in eventually. From that point every year they reasure people early that yes, this year we'll air Home Alone :D

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Home Alone 2 is just a bad rehash of Home Alone 1.

The only good thing it has going for it is the shots of New York.

You people really did forget the best two Christmas movies ever!

It is Gremlins 1 and 2

Here in germany it is being aired every year on the 24th
and I don't know why ...

halfbeast

Banned
speaking of weird traditions, I can't watch it without snowing outside irl.

I mean, I can watch it, it's just not as enjoyable.

LiamR

I'm gonna wait until December. The original is great. The second one is a poor rehash and made even less watchable now by that cameo. I've never understood the love for it.

Christmas Vacation
The Family Stone
Scrooged
Polar Express
Die Hard 1 and 2
A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas
It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Story
Jingle All The Way
Home alone
Love Actually
The Santa Clause
Deck the Halls

Every year.

Falchion

It's one of the GOAT's for sure. This year I want to watch:

Home Alone
Home Alone 2
Elf
Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Christmas Vacation

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
For me my xmas films tend to be:

Die Hard
Die Hard 2
A Muppet Christmas Carol (usually this and another version of Christmas Carol such as the Patrick Stewart one or Albert Finney)
Bad Santa
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
The Snowman
Father Christmas (another bloomin christmaaaaaas! )

DopeToast

Banned
Home Alone is pretty great, but Home Alone 2 is crazy violent and hard to watch. There's no real incentive for him to set up the traps the second time, except to stop them from robbing some toy store. Like he wasn't in any danger at all. It was weird.

I watched Home Alone 3 on VHS probably a thousand times as a kid, but it's been probably fifteen years since I last watched it.

Favorite Christmas movies (or at least movies I always watch at Christmastime):

-The Apartment
-Star Wars original trilogy
-It's a Wonderful Life
-A Christmas Story (I know this one gets old after being played on two channels for 24 hours straight, but watching it on DVD without the commercials is a much better experience. Still a cute movie, and I like that it's filmed in Cleveland because I can recognize a lot of it.)

jeemer

bad santa is my christmas movie, seeing it in the cinema the night of the 23rd december. saw die hard at the same cinema on the same night last year!

Watch every year without fail

Home Alone
Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (MST3K, on Black Friday)
A Christmas Carol (1984, George C. Scott)
A Christmas Carol (2009, Jim Carrey)
A Christmas Story
The Polar Express
The Santa Clause
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

Almost every year:

It's A Wonderful Life
Jingle All The Way
Gremlins
Scrooged
A Muppet Christmas Carol
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Scrooge (1935, riffed)

Dalek

Home Alone is pretty great, but Home Alone 2 is crazy violent and hard to watch. There's no real incentive for him to set up the traps the second time, except to stop them from robbing some toy store. Like he wasn't in any danger at all. It was weird.

I watched Home Alone 3 on VHS probably a thousand times as a kid, but it's been probably fifteen years since I last watched it.

Favorite Christmas movies (or at least movies I always watch at Christmastime):

-The Apartment
-Star Wars original trilogy
-It's a Wonderful Life
-A Christmas Story (I know this one gets old after being played on two channels for 24 hours straight, but watching it on DVD without the commercials is a much better experience. Still a cute movie, and I like that it's filmed in Cleveland because I can recognize a lot of it.)

The violence in part 2 is really jarring.

Yawnier

Banned
Way too early still

I can't watch Christmas movies before December 1st. It just doesn't feel right to me.

I didn't get to watch Home Alone 1 or 2 last year so I'll probably watch them this year though. Also gonna try and watch Scrooged and NL's Christmas Vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom