• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's that time of year-time to watch Home Alone again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

Wait, people watch Home Alone once a year? Every year?

Yes that and Three Wishes for Cinderella

three-wishes-for-cinderella-1-1.jpeg

My sister told me her husband is creeped out by her whenever they watch the movies because she's laughing so hard at the traps. Same thing happens with me and my friends.

Pesci and Stern are such a great team up.

"Where'd he go?"
"... Maybe he committed suicide."

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
A Christmas Story & The Nightmare Before Christmas are the only two I watch every year.

vypek

I left my TV on TBS this weekend while I was working on stuff and Home Alone 4 was on. What an absolute garbage movie. I don't have a movie I watch every year though

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LTTP already had this idea last weekend with the family

Based Kevin

Balls so hard mother fuckers wanna find him

I watch at least a half dozen variations of A Christmas Carol throughout the Holidays, and Scrooged is most certainly one of them.

-Scrooge (1977)
-A Christmas Carol (Patrick Stewart)
-A Christmas Carol (George Scott)
-Muppets Christmas Carol
-Scrooged
-Mickey's Christmas Carol

you don't watch the '51 version with Alistair Sim?

lame

Cheerilee

Old Man Marley really was the South Bend Shovel Slayer.

Buzz excitedly tells a visiting cousin (and by extension, Kevin) that their neighbor is the South Bend Shovel Slayer, a man who several decades ago killed his entire family and half the people on the block using a snow shovel as his weapon. "Everybody" knows he did it, including the police, but he was released due to lack of evidence, namely that nobody ever found the bodies. People speculate that it was due to the salt, which he has an obsession with (seriously, who has a garbage can full of salt?). He somehow used salt-mummification of the bodies to evade the authorities. Or at least that's the theory

The movie wants you to believe this is false, because he tells Kevin "I know people are saying terrible things about me, but none of it's true, you have no reason to fear me." But... isn't that just confirmation of the story? Old Man Marley knows that people think he's the Shovel Slayer. Buzz didn't make the story up to scare Kevin. And yet, Marley still seems to display an obsession with his shovel.

But he's creeping on a young girl, you say. Yeah, that's not suspicious [/sarcasm]. And the end of the movie (long after the audience has been convinced of his goodness) confirms that he really does have a son, and the girl is his granddaughter. So that blows away the lie that he killed his entire family.

Or does it? Marley's son has been absent for longer than the McCallisters have lived in that neighborhood. If Buzz was warned that Marley killed his family, Buzz could very easily have taken that to mean that Marley killed his entire family. Marley's son could easily have survived and it wouldn't affect his status as a local legend.

When Marley's son became an adult, the two had words with each other that couldn't be taken back and which broke the family apart. What was said? Was it... that the son doesn't truly believe that his father is innocent?

Marley speaks to Kevin in the church about how the church is the place for damaged souls to go to find healing, and how the church's doors are never closed to anyone, no matter how far gone they might be. Marley was the Shovel Slayer, several decades ago. Now he's a born-again Christian. He also says to Kevin in the church that family can temporarily forget that they love each other, causing them to hurt each other. Yeah, that's not a creepy thing for an accused Shovel Slayer to say [/sarcasm].

Look at his obsession with his granddaughter. His reunion with a granddaughter he has never met is clearly more emotional for him than his reunion with his estranged son. Why is that? Does she remind him of someone? Maybe a dead wife? Nah, he might have a dead wife, but the granddaughter's too young to remind him of her. A dead daughter? There we go. His daughter died, probably at around her age, while his son survived.

Why does Marley keep giving Kevin death-stares, not helping his cause of not seeming like a creeper? It's because Kevin is roughly the same age as his granddaughter. Kevin reminds him of his son around that time. Especially once you factor in that Kevin has just lost his family. Marley is desperately trying to read and understand Kevin, so that he can try and understand his estranged son.

And here's the last stretch. When the Wet Bandits had captured Kevin and Joe Pesci was about to bite his fingers off (WTF man?), Marley swooped in and saved Kevin in Shovel Slayer fashion, although non-lethally. Was this a repeat of a key moment in Marley's life? Did someone threaten his son? Was Marley pushed over the edge by someone threatening to bite his son's fingers off? Did... did his wife and daughter do that? Is that why he snapped and killed them?

Lucreto

Going to watch Home Alone 2 this Friday. I worked retail for 10 years and this is the first time I have not been stressed since I moved to Head Office.

Orchards Thieves cider and a pack of Cheese Pringles while putting my feet up.

Ogodei

Muppet Christmas Carol
Muppet Family Christmas
A Christmas Story
Home Alone 1 & 2

There's your essentials.

Jingle All the Way
The Santa Clause

are your side-options.

RangerX

Banned
Is it? I saw both of these films in the cinema and am glad and I've only seen them once since. They are not good films.

Se_7_eN

My fiance has had Christmas movies (Including Home Alone 1 and 2) running for the last 2 weeks... My headphones and the Skyrim SE (First playthrough) are keeping me safe.

Ithil

Howdy doo!

This is Peter McAlister.
The faaather.

I'd like a hotel room please, with an extra large bed, a TV and one of those little refrigerators you have to open with a key.

Credit card? You got it!

Yeah I watched Home Alone 1 & 2 so much growing up that I can act out and quote every line word for word. Good times.

Just two movies in a long winded Christmas marathon, I love watching movies that have Christmas as a backdrop this time of year (Die Hard, Lethal Weapon etc).

I saw Christmas decorations out before Halloween hit. Usually its sometime before Thanksgiving.

Where I live, decorations have been out since September.

Literally a week after Christmas hot cross buns will be out for sale in preparation for Easter.

Tevious

Old Man Marley really was the South Bend Shovel Slayer.

Buzz excitedly tells a visiting cousin (and by extension, Kevin) that their neighbor is the South Bend Shovel Slayer, a man who several decades ago killed his entire family and half the people on the block using a snow shovel as his weapon. "Everybody" knows he did it, including the police, but he was released due to lack of evidence, namely that nobody ever found the bodies. People speculate that it was due to the salt, which he has an obsession with (seriously, who has a garbage can full of salt?). He somehow used salt-mummification of the bodies to evade the authorities. Or at least that's the theory

The movie wants you to believe this is false, because he tells Kevin "I know people are saying terrible things about me, but none of it's true, you have no reason to fear me." But... isn't that just confirmation of the story? Old Man Marley knows that people think he's the Shovel Slayer. Buzz didn't make the story up to scare Kevin. And yet, Marley still seems to display an obsession with his shovel.

But he's creeping on a young girl, you say. Yeah, that's not suspicious [/sarcasm]. And the end of the movie (long after the audience has been convinced of his goodness) confirms that he really does have a son, and the girl is his granddaughter. So that blows away the lie that he killed his entire family.

Or does it? Marley's son has been absent for longer than the McCallisters have lived in that neighborhood. If Buzz was warned that Marley killed his family, Buzz could very easily have taken that to mean that Marley killed his entire family. Marley's son could easily have survived and it wouldn't affect his status as a local legend.

When Marley's son became an adult, the two had words with each other that couldn't be taken back and which broke the family apart. What was said? Was it... that the son doesn't truly believe that his father is innocent?

Marley speaks to Kevin in the church about how the church is the place for damaged souls to go to find healing, and how the church's doors are never closed to anyone, no matter how far gone they might be. Marley was the Shovel Slayer, several decades ago. Now he's a born-again Christian. He also says to Kevin in the church that family can temporarily forget that they love each other, causing them to hurt each other. Yeah, that's not a creepy thing for an accused Shovel Slayer to say [/sarcasm].

Look at his obsession with his granddaughter. His reunion with a granddaughter he has never met is clearly more emotional for him than his reunion with his estranged son. Why is that? Does she remind him of someone? Maybe a dead wife? Nah, he might have a dead wife, but the granddaughter's too young to remind him of her. A dead daughter? There we go. His daughter died, probably at around her age, while his son survived.

Why does Marley keep giving Kevin death-stares, not helping his cause of not seeming like a creeper? It's because Kevin is roughly the same age as his granddaughter. Kevin reminds him of his son around that time. Especially once you factor in that Kevin has just lost his family. Marley is desperately trying to read and understand Kevin, so that he can try and understand his estranged son.

And here's the last stretch. When the Wet Bandits had captured Kevin and Joe Pesci was about to bite his fingers off (WTF man?), Marley swooped in and saved Kevin in Shovel Slayer fashion, although non-lethally. Was this a repeat of a key moment in Marley's life? Did someone threaten his son? Was Marley pushed over the edge by someone threatening to bite his son's fingers off? Did... did his wife and daughter do that? Is that why he snapped and killed them?

Now I wish we could see a movie about Marley and what really happened to his family. And they should make the connection to Home Alone really subtle so people only theorize about it.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Howdy doo!

This is Peter McAlister.
The faaather.

I'd like a hotel room please, with an extra large bed, a TV and one of those little refrigerators you have to open with a key.

Credit card? You got it!

impossible to read this without doing the voice, I can make it the first two responses but once i get to the faaather.. nope straight up slowmo talkboy (i had one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom