• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dishwalla

Banned
Yes. He gets fired from the nuclear power plant because of his incompetence. He can't find a job, so he ties a rock to himself and tries to throw himself off a bridge.
While it was noted that in that occurrence it wasn't in front of the family, it should also be noted that this was the third episode aired and the Homer in that episode was quite a bit different from what his character would become known for(in fact in the episode he changes character several times, and none of them are true blue Homer). This recent suicide gag was very uncharacteristic of the familiar Homer, and really just another example of the writer's willingness to throw away all characterization for the sake of a joke, or at least what they think is a joke.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the inconsistency was forgivable in the third episode, but now it's not because of what became established through the years. But this has happened with so many other characters, and is a major reason why the show is pretty much unwatchable now.

Darklord

Banned
PokéKong;35491143 said:
"How do we make suicide funny? .........SLAPSTICK!"

tumblr_m008ilneIH1qcs4k3o1_500.gif

Remember when Homer was the dumb but loving father and husband who'd always support his family no matter what? Oh right, I do because new Simpson doesn't exist and I only watch season 3-10.

Season 5. Fuck, what a good season.

Kinyou

Just saw a episode where Grampas eyes popped out. That was kinda freaky
Isn't that the one where everyone's eyes pop out towards the end? That was quite surreal. I couldn't believe that it was happening on the Simpsons

There was also one in which Sideshow Bob's face fell off (after some identity switch surgery) and you got to see muscle tissue and all that; rather disturbing.

I'll only post the links since the pictures are really kind of graphic; the definitley crossed a line there, it's a kids show after all

http://www.abload.de/img/simpface1jwldb.gif

http://www.abload.de/img/simpface3yqlir.gif

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Remember when Homer was the dumb but loving father and husband who'd always support his family no matter what? Oh right, I do because new Simpson doesn't exist and I only watch season 3-10.

Season 5. Fuck, what a good season.

I watched Rosebud (S05E04) the other day on TV

The difference between Homer then and Homer now is striking. Simpsons <S10 is just a different class.

CiSTM

Banned
Isn't that the one where everyone's eyes pop out towards the end? That was quite surreal. I couldn't believe that it was happening on the Simpsons

There was also one in which Sideshow Bob's face fell off (after some identity switch surgery) and you got to see muscle tissue and all that; rather disturbing.

I'll only post the links since the pictures are really kind of graphic; the definitley crossed a line there, it's a kids show after all

http://www.abload.de/img/simpface1jwldb.gif

http://www.abload.de/img/simpface3yqlir.gif

I don't see how this is any worse then Scratchy turned inside out and beaten alive by no fur people. Simpsons isn't aimed for kids, teens and young adults would be the right target audience.

Edit. Eye popping out episode was really bad. Can't believe they wasted Herzog on that poor episode.

Kinyou

I don't see how this is any worse then Scratchy turned inside out and beaten alive by no fur people. Simpsons isn't aimed for kids, teens and young adults would be the right target audience.
Maybe because Scratchy is always fictional in the context of the show, just like every Halloween episode or Homer's face melting. I know it's a bad explanation but somehow did these face scenes just cross a line I didn't even know existed for me in Simpsons.

way more

Homer does something dumb and the bank forecloses on their house, so he tries to commit suicide.

Also, why does the chair hold Homer's weight, yet the tree doesn't?

Yeah, is it like some sort of magic xylophone?

Congrats people, you are the living parody of the nerds on Simpsons.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
There's a cycle to every Community thread on GAF.

I believe I have identified the Simpsons-GAF cycle. It's pretty similar to the Pony cycle.

Itchy & Scratchy's senseless violence was intentionally obnoxious to make a point, though. The whole bit (at least in the classic episodes) is about parodying Tom & Jerry cartoons, which the Simpsons observed as disturbing considering they were incredibly violent and kids thought they were hilarious. Basically, the Itchy & Scratchy violence 1) had a point and 2) was isolated to the cartoons only (Treehouse of Horror episodes notwithstanding).

AAequal

Banned
lG4JD.png

Sideshow Bob: You wanted to be Krusty’s sidekick since you were five! What about the buffoon lessons? The four years at clown college?
Cecil: I’ll thank you not to refer to Princeton that way!

8WtQI.png

Homer: And by the Sacred Parchment, I swear that if I reveal the secrets of the Stonecutters may my stomach become bloated and my head be plucked of all but three hairs.
Moe: Um, I think he should have to take a different oath!
Number one: Everyone takes the same oath.

2EJR1.png

way more

PokéKong;35491143 said:
"How do we make suicide funny? .........SLAPSTICK!"

tumblr_m008ilneIH1qcs4k3o1_500.gif

I'm watching that ep right now. It's actually pretty good. Flanders buys their house and the Simpson's rent from him.
Yeah, the story was mighty predictable, but what I liked about tonight's Simpsons was that it ventured into character-based territory, rather than an oddball, plot-driven direction. Ned-as-landlord works because of the show's rich history, not in spite of it; Homer's attempt to change Ned's mind by dressing up as Jesus, followed by his selling Ned up the river with Kent Brockman ("Whose fault is it? The person whose side of the story we didn't even bother getting"), is another case of Homer not realizing how good he has it with Ned as a neighbor—and another chance for Ned to take it. Some might not appreciate this bit of rehashing, but I for one enjoyed the (slight) return to form.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/no-loan-again-naturallybwah-my-nosefamily-gayroy-r,24820/

Are we really so hungry to criticize that we take a out of context image?

OldAdolfHitler.jpg

OMG! They are showing Hitler living a pleasant life in Argentina! Who want's to pretend like this offends them as well?

I'm watching that ep right now. It's actually pretty good. Flanders buys their house and the Simpson's rent from him.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/no-loan-again-naturallybwah-my-nosefamily-gayroy-r,24820/

OldAdolfHitler.jpg

OMG! They are showing Hitler living a pleasant life in Argentina! Who want's to pretend like this offends them as well?

Is this your new thing? Calling people out for their dislike for modern Simpsons?

And the Hitler thing is not comparable in the slightest, as it has nothing to do with the Simpsons characters acting completely out of character. The Hitler thing is basically a cutaway joke, but neatly embedded in the "Bart calls the world" scene. I don't find the joke particularly funny either though.

Die bad robots, die!

I went to universal studios hollywood for the first time and got on the simpsons ride. While waiting in line they play the sequence above, the canyonero sequence, and a few others that were from the good ol days. I teared up in line.

Watched Treehouse of Horror IV and I think it's got to be my favourite of all the Halloween episodes.

"Super fun happy slide!"

30a7b598.png

Congrats people, you are the living parody of the nerds on Simpsons.

mac said:

I like that you're calling the criticism of that scene 'out of context' when the context literally goes no further than; Homer is sad, attempts suicide in front of his children. Haha! Yes, I realise how silly it is to point out that something in an animated cartoon wouldn't work that way in reality, but when the 'funny' in the scene is derived entirely from the fact that something entirely unexpected happens, I would consider it a cheap and unnecessary piece of visual humour, the likes of which has increasingly pervaded modern Simpsons in place of the clever, character-driven, visually charismatic humour which endeared classic Simpsons to so many.

PokéKong

They insert the lowly nerd characters into the show as deflection of the criticism they know they will rightfully receive, while not actually doing anything to improve the show.

"Hahah, stupid nerds with no life pointing out how we've run out of ideas!" does not counter the fact that they have run out of ideas.

I remember starting to lose interest in the show due to season 9-11, but then came an episode where the family goes to Africa and discovers a diamond mine being worked by monkeys. The entire premise and execution of that episode soured me on the show and killed my interest. I'm not even sure that was an episode and not a drug-fueled dream. Anyone know which episode I'm talking about?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I remember starting to lose interest in the show due to season 9-11, but then came an episode where the family goes to Africa and discovers a diamond mine being worked by monkeys. The entire premise and execution of that episode soured me on the show and killed my interest. I'm not even sure that was an episode and not a drug-fueled dream. Anyone know which episode I'm talking about?

That was Season 12's "Simpson Safari". Shit, I thought that was a later episode.

For some sick, masochistic reason I stuck with the show. To me, Season 14-18 is the lowest of the series. 19 showed a little improvement and these days it's just "okay".

I liked that episode. *shrug*

Jasoco

Banned
*sigh* I know. Though it did have a funny Homer quote:

Uh... that I can't remember right now. Something about everything on the back of the cracker box and punching some animal or something. Guess I could load up the episode and check out the quote but.... I don't feel like it.

*sigh* I know. Though it did have a funny Homer quote:

Uh... that I can't remember right now. Something about everything on the back of the cracker box and punching some animal or something. Guess I could load up the episode and check out the quote but.... I don't feel like it.

"...and on my free African safari I want to do everything on this box. I want to shoot a lion in the face, fight Muhammad Ali, and ride in a convertible with two happy zebras."

AAequal

Banned
Bruno: Ooh! Ah, that's it. I'm going to report this to me member of parliament. [yells out window] Hey, Gus! I got something to report to you.

[Gus tends his swine]Gus: That's a bloody outrage, it is! I want to take this all the way to the Prime Minister.

[they go down to a lake]

Hey! Mr. Prime Minister! Andy!

Andy: [floating naked on an inner tube with a beer] Eh, mates! What's the good word?

Is this scene on youtube? I really suck at searching youtube these days :(

Quick! Into the boat! Hippos are scared of water! That it actually made me laugh.

123rl

I've started watching it again from series 2 onwards. I thought it would be a mistake because I have such fond memories of the show but I was wrong. It's still very funny, smart, and incredibly well written. I'm up to series 3 and it's like I'm watching someone's list of the best episodes. Back to back classic episodes. Now I understand why South Park did an episode called The Simpsons Already Did It...because The Simpsons did everything, before anyone else.

I've started watching it again from series 2 onwards. I thought it would be a mistake because I have such fond memories of the show but I was wrong. It's still very funny, smart, and incredibly well written. I'm up to series 3 and it's like I'm watching someone's list of the best episodes. Back to back classic episodes. Now I understand why South Park did an episode called The Simpsons Already Did It...because The Simpsons did everything, before anyone else.

Yup.

I recall reading something Matt Groening once said in response to the criticism of the recent Simpsons episodes. He said something to the effect that the reason that the older viewers don't think the newer episodes are as funny is because people have just gotten to used to the characters and that the humor just doesn't have the same effect on some people anymore. A roundabout way of using the nostalgia card, essentially.

Well, that's a bunch of crap. The older episodes can still make me guffaw a dozen times an episode, no matter how many times I have seen them. It never stops being funny. Actually, I can say the same thing about 'The Critic'.

123rl

The old episodes are just better than the newer ones. It's that simple. Stories? Better. Characters? Better. Jokes? Funnier

Just look at the episode list for series 3 - so many of these are strong contenders for the best episodes ever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpsons_episodes#Season_3_.281991.E2.80.931992.29

Colonel Homer (Lurleen, the country music singer)
Black Widower (Selma almost marries Sideshow Bob)
Homer At The Bat (softball)
Flaming Moe's
Lisa's Pony

It's just an amazingly consistent lineup. Some modern Simpsons episodes are still funny. I certainly don't hate the new episodes but it just isn't anywhere near the same quality as it's golden age

123rl

I think I missed it 15 years ago but there's a good reason I love these episodes. It's very funny, still, but it is so much more than that. It's the actors, the stories, the music, and everything else that goes along with it. The episode where Homer is attracted to the country music star is so well written, had several original songs, and told a great story. And this was just a typical episode

The closest comparison I can think of is Pixar films vs other CG studios. They're both doing the same product but Pixar films just have a magic touch that is missing from Dreamworks and Sony's efforts. You can't pinpoint it to a specific example but you just know you're watching something special when you watch a Pixar film

Shaneus

I think I missed it 15 years ago but there's a good reason I love these episodes. It's very funny, still, but it is so much more than that. It's the actors, the stories, the music, and everything else that goes along with it. The episode where Homer is attracted to the country music star is so well written, had several original songs, and told a great story. And this was just a typical episode
I spent last night in a ditch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom