• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIN90

In the UK our Sunday night on Sky One was

5pm - old Futurama
5.30pm - new Futurama
6pm - old Simpsons
6.30pm - new Simpsons
7pm - new Malcolm In The Middle

2 and a half hours of pure comedy gold

Sorry to correct you but that's only 1.5 hours of pure comedy gold.

Lucario

In the UK our Sunday night on Sky One was

5pm - old Futurama
5.30pm - new Futurama
6pm - old Simpsons
6.30pm - new Simpsons
7pm - new Malcolm In The Middle

2 and a half hours of pure comedy gold

I really don't think there's new episodes of Malcolm, as awesome/creepy as that would be.

Some of my earliest memories were sitting down with the family(odd considering my dad hates the show) watching The Simpsons on Fox 11 on Thursday nights.

Natetan

Some of my earliest memories were sitting down with the family(odd considering my dad hates the show) watching The Simpsons on Fox 11 on Thursday nights.

yeah, my sixth grade graduation ceremony, we did the 'bartman'. this was the 'don't have a cow man' simpsons for kids era not the intellegent show it became.

speaking of, I had that t-shirt. the most amazing thing is that they were able to recycle that into a joke through lisa when she goes to the flanderses beach house.
bart_dude.jpg

OMG, My mum bought me that Bart Simpson T-Shirt when I was a kid! But that was before I ever saw the Simpsons and I thought it was stupid because he was yellow and didn't understand his catchphrase. :p It was a couple of years before I really got into the Simpsons, I think being born in 83 I was a little young for it at first.

I just watched one of my favourite episodes: Lisa's First Word. Funny, clever, poignant, and full of so much charm and personality. It's a testament to the show that it doesn't even feel like a stand-out AAA episode. It just kind of fits into that era of the show because The Simpsons was so damn consistent for almost 10 years straight!

I'm pretty certain that series 4 is the best overall series

Just look at that lineup. Every episode is real classic and every episode deserves to be in the top 100 of all time

I give best to the 5th season, but the 4th season would follow closely behind.

lunchtoast

Back when I watched Simpsons reruns on TV I would eat dinner at 5 to watch it, then KOTH at 530, followed by Seinfeld. I recently caught Simpsons on TV but they just show the newer shit now.

I used to (still?) have a bart simpsons doll. If it's not in one of my boxes it might still be at my parents house somewhere.

voiHJ.jpg

Dishwalla

Banned
I remember seeing repros of that shirt at Fred Meyer around the time the movie came out. I almost bought one too, but for whatever reason I didn't.

123rl

I love the April Fool's episode that was basically a clip show. It has one of my favourite Homer quotes. Homer and Bart are arguing about whether or not Bart can fool Homer and Homer says: You couldn't fool me on the foolingest day of your life if you had an automated fooling machine

lunchtoast

The cosmic ballet goes on.

I was just watching that episode!

Anyone want to switch seats?

Ralph: What's a battle?
Skinner: Hahahaha, lets go.
Chalmers: Did that boy say what's a battle?
Skinner: No he said What's that rattle, it's about the heating duct.
Chalmers: Hmm, it sounded like battle.
Skinner: I've had a cold, so--
Chalmers: Oh so you hear r's as b's?

lunchtoast

Keep watching the skis!

Oh my god! We've been beaten by...a Connie Chung Christmas!

"I'll handle this... the only danger in space is if we land on the terrible Planet of the Apes... wait a minute. Statue of Liberty... THAT WAS OUR PLANET! YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!"

"Wow, former president James Taylor."

Jasoco

Banned
Back when I watched Simpsons reruns on TV I would eat dinner at 5 to watch it, then KOTH at 530, followed by Seinfeld. I recently caught Simpsons on TV but they just show the newer shit now.

I used to (still?) have a bart simpsons doll. If it's not in one of my boxes it might still be at my parents house somewhere.

voiHJ.jpg
ioglTRbLxkNpI.PNG

Anth0ny

I'll post the direct link to the poll results so people don't have to dig for it.
You Only Move Twice finished 12th. Homer at the Bat 14th. Krusty Gets Kancelled 112th.

Nice, I have the same top 2. From there, I don't really have a clear list of favorites in any order.

I should really make a top 10 list someday... but that is not easy. I'd probably have an easier time listing my top 10 games of all time. There are way too many incredible Simpsons episodes.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised how high "Bart Sells His Soul" is on that list. I only remember that episode in bits and pieces. Looking back, the episode premise itself was quite disturbing.

lunchtoast

I wonder why Who shot Mr. Burns is so high. That's kind of a jumped the shark episode for me. Homer the Heretic would be higher on my list.

Hello Grandpa my old friend
Your busy day is at an end
Your exploits have been sad and boring
They tell a tale that's worth ignoring
When you're alone, the words of your story will eco down the rest home hall
Cause no one at all
Can stand the sound of Grandpa

legend166

Back in 2000, during the two weeks of the Sydney Olympics, a cable station in Australia ran The Simpsons for two solid weeks. I was 13 at the time, and it was just about the best two weeks ever. The Olympics were going on in my city, and a channel was running classic Simpsons 24/7.

Was watching some Season 5 today. Honestly can't remember the particular episode, but Homer walks into the living room with this slight gangster limp and says "What up Marge?"
I lost my shit, rewound and watched the same scene like 5 times in a row.

Natetan

I wonder why Who shot Mr. Burns is so high. That's kind of a jumped the shark episode for me. Homer the Heretic would be higher on my list.

Hello Grandpa my old friend
Your busy day is at an end
Your exploits have been sad and boring
They tell a tale that's worth ignoring
When you're alone, the words of your story will eco down the rest home hall
Cause no one at all
Can stand the sound of Grandpa

I love the who shot mr burns episode. That was around the peak of the series. And speaking of Simon and Garfunkel music references:

Hello Lamp post
what you knowing?
I came to your
Power flowin'!

lunchtoast

I love the who shot mr burns episode. That was around the peak of the series. And speaking of Simon and Garfunkel music references:

Hello Lamp post
what you knowing?
I came to your
Power flowin'!

Homer: It's a handgun! Isn't it great? This is the trigger, and this is the thing you point at whatever you want to die.
Marge: Homer, I don't guns in my house! Don't you remember when Maggie shot Mr. Burns?
Homer: I thought Smithers did it.
Lisa: That would have made a lot more sense.

Natetan

Homer: It's a handgun! Isn't it great? This is the trigger, and this is the thing you point at whatever you want to die.
Marge: Homer, I don't guns in my house! Don't you remember when Maggie shot Mr. Burns?
Homer: I thought Smithers did it.
Lisa: That would have made a lot more sense.

ah, maggie doing never bothered me, and we never would have gotten that amazing line which made me chortle out some of my lunch if it hadn't happened.

Ah i miss when the simpsons made fun of everything, including themselves.

way more

ah, maggie doing never bothered me, and we never would have gotten that amazing line which made me chortle out some of my lunch if it hadn't happened.

Ah i miss when the simpsons made fun of everything, including themselves.

They still make fun of themselves but it's not funny because

PokéKong;35291451 said:
A not-too-uncommon type of joke in newer Simpsons where the writers become self aware and poke fun at the weakened quality of the show, but not doing much to fix it.

Becoming more sad than funny once you realize you are now laughing WITH the creators of the show AT the show.

123rl

I'm up to Cape Feare on my run through the series. This is such a quotable episode. I'd have to say this is in my top 10 favourite overall episodes

There's the "Hello, Mr. Thompson!" scene
"Die, Bart, Die"
Bob standing on all the garden rakes
The Gilbert and Sullivan scenes
"Bake him away, toys"

And my favourite

Bob - "stuck in this dank, urine-soaked, hell-hole"
Lawyer - "we object to that statement when you could have said 'pee-pee - soaked heck-hole'
Bob - "cheerfully withdrawn"

Fugu

"The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side."
"That's a right triangle, you idiot!"

lunchtoast

I hated when they would cut to commercial after the opening sequence. Do they still do that for the new episodes? I don't watch them on TV.

Lionel Hutz: And so ladies and gentlemen of the jury. I rest my case.

Judge Snyder: Hmm.

Mr Hutz. Do you realize you're not wearing any pants?

Lionel Hutz: I... Ahh!

[David Crosby shakes his head in shame]

Lionel Hutz: I move for a 'bad court thingy'.

Judge Snyder: You mean a *mistrial?*

Lionel Hutz: Yeah! That's why you're the 'judge' and I'm the 'law talking guy?'

Judge Snyder: The *lawyer?*

Lionel Hutz: Right.

Dishwalla

Banned
PokéKong;35765312 said:
Weren't Chief Wiggum and Ralph Wiggum in the show for a while before being shown in a scene together?
Yeah. I think "Kamp Krusty" was the first episode to acknowledge the relationship(when Lisa hands him his mail, calling him "Wiggum"), but "I Love Lisa" was the first episode to establish Ralph actually being his son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom