• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
o7nits.jpg

effzee said:
This is the best SIMPSONS MOMENT/QUOTE EVER.

Left out the best part:

RaAhBBk4TjmoworyMbIyvyyno1_500.jpg

Marge: Homer, there is a man here who says he can help you.
Homer: Batman?
Marge: No, he's a scientist.
Homer: Batman's a scientist?
Marge: It's NOT BATMAN!

:lol:lol:lol:lol

Grug

Some random goodness.

Barney, you've been riding my back all night.
087.jpg

I don't know what this switch does.
124.jpg

Oh dear... my wife is going to kill me.
181.jpg

The froghurt is also cursed!
038.jpg

I wish we were going to Candy Apple Island.

Candy Apple Island? What have they got there?

Apes. But they're not so big.

093.jpg

Awww, but I'm so sweet and tasty!
078.jpg

Dad! It's in there again!

069.jpg

First you didn't want me to get the pony, now you want me to take it back! Make up your mind!
135.jpg

Man, i bought seasons 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 during black friday and have only opened up and watched part of 3 (i've seen pretty much all the episodes on TV before, though)

I really need to crack open the others and rewatch some of these classic scenes.

legend166

Couple of lines not said yet:

"You, get out! You are banned from this establishment. You, and your children, and your children's children......for three months."

"1. Where is the fife. 2, give me the fife."

"Jeremey's Iron."

"Here is a ball."

"I bent my wookie."

It's funny, this whole thread hasn't even delved into Ralph yet.

"Hi Principal Skinner, hi Super Nintendo Chalmers."

"I got carsick in your office."

"I choo-choo-choose you!"

And, perhaps my favourite line ever, from Boy Scoutz N the Hood:

"How was jerk practice, boy? Did they teach you how to sing to trees? And build crappy furniture out of useless wooden logs? Huh?

[His chair collapses] D'oh! Stupid poetic justice."

And from the same episode:

"Egghead likes his Booky-Books!"

Rorschach

2hgg2rn.jpg

Eddie: Do you hold a grudge against Montgomery Burns?
Moe: No!
*BZZT*
Moe: Alright, maybe I did, but I didn't shoot him.
*DING*
Eddie: Checks out. Okay, sir, you're free to go.
Moe: Good, 'cause I got a hot date tonight.
*BZZT*
Moe: A date.
*BZZT*
Moe: Dinner with a friend.
*BZZT*
Moe: Dinner alone.
*BZZT*
Moe: Watching TV alone.
*BZZT*
Moe: Alright! I'm going to sit at home and ogle the ladies in the Victoria's Secret catalog.
*BZZT*
Moe:Sears catalog.
*DING*
Moe:Now would you unhook this already, please! I don't deserve this kind of shabby treatment!
*BZZT*

2wf6d74.jpg

Scully: This is a simple lie detector. I'll ask you a few "yes or no" questions and you just answer truthfully. Do you understand?
Homer: Yes.

jett

D-Member
Man looking at this topic reminds me that this show used to be so fucking ingenious. Its current state is a shame.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
SimpsonsBitey.png

"I call the big one Bitey"

Apparently, according to the DVD's at least, this is Matt Groening's favorite quote from the entire show.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
"kwijibo. . . a fat, balding, north-american ape."

fmhrvl.jpg

"he hands in notes from you that are obvious forgeries when compared to the origin. . . "

50of21.jpg

307orc9.jpg

OmniGamer

legend166 said:
"Ralph Quotes"

There's a scene with the Springfield Elementary kids putting on a play for Mr. Burns in an attempt to plead for funding by showing the importance of education...Ralph plays an incompetent doctor operating on a stuffed likeness of Burns, decapitates him with a saw, and gleefully says "Oops, you're dead!" :lol

Random Smithers line that cracks me up...in "Homer the Smithers" when Smithers is working at the race track and is announcing something over the loudspeakers but keeps interjecting his own comments, then is heard being thrown out.

"Let go of me... Where are you throwing me?" *crash noises*

The reading of the line plus not actually seeing him during the scene, just seeing the drag race audience and hearing him over the speakers, makes it particularly funny IMO. Here's the full reading courtesy of snpp.com

Smithers: [on mike] Get ready for exciting quarter-mile action at the
Springfield Dragway. It'll be motorized mayhem mayhem mayhem.
[softly] Do we need all those "mayhems"? We do. All right,
fair enough. I suppose you know your business.
[loud] Get ready for fun, fun, fun!
[soft] I... The people are already here, we don't... need to
keep hustling them like this, do we?
[angrily] Let go of me... Where are you throwing me?
[trash noises]

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
:lol

I love this thread. No idea what my adolescence would have been like without The Simpsons.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
speedpop said:
:lol

I love this thread. No idea what my adolescence would have been like without The Simpsons.

i contend that people who didn't get a steady dose of simpsons when they were little have poor senses of humor.

It's amazing how hard one can laugh just seeing a screenshot and knowing the dialogue that comes with it. My brother used to try and quote Simpsons by saying, "Remember that one episode where Homer says..." I would tell him, "Just say the line. Everyone will know it."

beelzebozo said:
"kwijibo. . . a fat, balding, north-american ape."

fmhrvl.jpg
I used to go see an awesome band in Baltimore named Kwyjibo.

Pakkidis

BitchTits said:
Lisa's Rival is such a great episode. All the stuff with Alison, the diaramas, and Homer's sugar stash was gold!

k9e151.jpg

[Pulls a man from behind the pile]
Thief: [holds teacup and saucer] Hello.
Homer: All right, pal: where'd you get the sugar for that tea?
Thief: I nicked it when you let your guard down for that split second,
and I'd do it again. [sips tea] Goodbye.

Homer pleads his case with Marge.

Homer: You see, Marge? Do you see?
Marge: Homer, when are you going to give up this crazy sugar scheme?
Homer: Never, Marge! Never. I can't live the button-down life like
you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the
creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with
my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling
of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke
their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Homer
Simpson?"
Marge: Look!... just get rid of the sugar, OK?

ibj611.jpg

OW! Oh, they're defending themselves somehow! :lol

Easily in the top ten greatest scenes of the simpsons.

Rorschach

Pakkidis said:
Easily in the top ten greatest scenes of the simpsons.
The whole thing was awesome. I love the spit take by the sugar thief and the conversation with the bee keepers.

"Homer, you diabolical..."

Pakkidis

legend166 said:
Couple of lines not said yet:

"You, get out! You are banned from this establishment. You, and your children, and your children's children......for three months."

"1. Where is the fife. 2, give me the fife."

"Jeremey's Iron."

"Here is a ball."

"I bent my wookie."

It's funny, this whole thread hasn't even delved into Ralph yet.

"Hi Principal Skinner, hi Super Nintendo Chalmers."

"I got carsick in your office."

"I choo-choo-choose you!"

And, perhaps my favourite line ever, from Boy Scoutz N the Hood:

"How was jerk practice, boy? Did they teach you how to sing to trees? And build crappy furniture out of useless wooden logs? Huh?

[His chair collapses] D'oh! Stupid poetic justice."

And from the same episode:

"Egghead likes his Booky-Books!"

You mentioned Ralph but forgot his best line. "My cat smells like cat food."

And a classic line from Homer

"What are you going to do, release the dogs, or the bees, or the dogs that shoot bees through their mouths, go head do your worst." :)

Pakkidis

Rorschach said:
The whole thing was awesome. I love the spit take by the sugar thief and the conversation with the bee keepers.

"Homer, you diabolical..."

The bee keepers were great.

"No noise indicates no bees...hmmmmm"

or

"Homer, you diabolical genius, selling the sugar for an inflated price and increased profits"

"Im doing what now?"

Not sure of the exact quote but so damn good.

You know what I noticed, some of the older Simpsons jokes are more relevant today than they were back then.

AstroLad said:
So so far we have two top 10s yes?

I want to see some serious debate here.
loose ordering

1) boy scoutz n the hood
2) homer loves flanders
3) homer goes to college
4) mother simpson
5) homie the clown
6) 22 short films about springfield
7) two bad neighbors
8) $pringfield (or how i stopped worrying and learned to love legalized gambling
9) mr. plow
10) behind the laughter (which i think is the only episode i like post season 10)

i could probably throw in like everything in seasons 4-6 though

14wt6it.jpg

Ah, there's an interesting story behind this nickel. In 1957, I remember it was, I got up in the morning and made myself a piece of toast. I set the toaster to three - medium brown...

Bart: Hey, I bought it from a guy on your reservation.
Manager: That's Crazy Talk.
Bart: No, it's true.
Manager: No, I know, that's my brother, Crazy Talk. We're all a little worried about him.

One of my last favorite momments before the show went downhill.

2napp29.jpg

Just saw this episode for the first time since I came to Australia. What a fantastic show from start to finish. Especially with a perspective from inside the country.

NomarTyme

Rapping Granny said:
Another amazing episode is King-Size Homer.

22426_generated_384x288__zCm-nqO3E0+j4o6t3wz0zw.jpg

Lisa: Dad, what are you doing down there?
Homer: Washing my Fat Guy Hat, honey.
kingsizehomermain.jpg

Homer: To start press any key. Well where's the "any" key? I see Esc, Catarl, and PigUp. There doesn't seem to be any any key! Phew. All this computer hacking is making me thirsty. I think I'll order a Tab. (pushes Tab key) Oop! No time for that now, the computer's starting.

fisheyes

AstroLad said:
So so far we have two top 10s yes?

I want to see some serious debate here.

My top 10 is rather similar to yours, AstroLad. I do appreciate an 'emotional' episode like in Beelzebozo, though, so I've got a couple of episodes that aren't as hilarious as the others (not that any of them aren't great - in fact all are tremendously funny).

Order is a little vague and subject to change.

1) Homer Bad Man
2) And Maggie Makes Three
3) Homer Goes to College
4) Marge vs. the Monorail
5) Bart Sells His Soul
6) King Size Homer
7) Mother Simpson
8) Marge Be Not Proud
9) 22 Short Films About Springfield
10) The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show

And Maggie Makes Three is my favourite combination of touching and hilarious (the ending is the most touching Simpsons moment ever I think - even more so than Mother Simpson's ending, which is no slouch either). Homer Bad Man and Homer Goes to College are hilarious - and I already mentioned the Head Bee Guy scene as one of my very absolutely stupid scenes. And The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie show is the best piece of meta-referential anything ever.

EDIT: bggrthnjsus's list will pretty much all be in my Top 30, too. You guys have good taste. Also forgot 22 Short Films. That needs to be there.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
2m633fd.jpg

"i'm not a state, i'm a monster!"

95s8i8.jpg

"no lisa. the only monster here is the gambling monster that's enslaved your mother.

ajozyu.jpg

i call him GAMBLOR. and it's time we snatched her away from his neon claws!"

Grug

beelzebozo said:
i call him GAMBLOR. and it's time we snatched her away from his neon claws!"

This episode has my favorite Simpsons moment of all time.

"Bart, I don't wish to alarm you but there may be a boogeyman or boogeymen in this house!"
159.jpg

Haunted

Oh the memories. I love this thread so much.

Rorschach said:
2hgg2rn.jpg

Eddie: Do you hold a grudge against Montgomery Burns?
Moe: No!
*BZZT*
Moe: Alright, maybe I did, but I didn't shoot him.
*DING*
Eddie: Checks out. Okay, sir, you're free to go.
Moe: Good, 'cause I got a hot date tonight.
*BZZT*
Moe: A date.
*BZZT*
Moe: Dinner with a friend.
*BZZT*
Moe: Dinner alone.
*BZZT*
Moe: Watching TV alone.
*BZZT*
Moe: Alright! I'm going to sit at home and ogle the ladies in the Victoria's Secret catalog.
*BZZT*
Moe:Sears catalog.
*DING*
Moe:Now would you unhook this already, please! I don't deserve this kind of shabby treatment!
*BZZT*

2wf6d74.jpg

Scully: This is a simple lie detector. I'll ask you a few "yes or no" questions and you just answer truthfully. Do you understand?
Homer: Yes.
:lol :lol

Mash said:
I love this thread. I concede now that the newer Simpsons seasons have definitely lost something.
Not something. Everything.

I watch classic Simpsons every night while I fall asleep, and I watch the new Simpsons every Sunday that I'm home to watch it. I can't even begin to understand how anyone can say one word in defense of the show these days.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
you've clearly got some strong beliefs about the subject, liu kang, so maybe you might have an opinion on this, as it's something that i sometimes wonder about in passing when i'm really lamenting what the how has become: what restrains the show from doing a reboot, at the end of one season effectively returning in the next to more grounded stories, presumably with a good writing staff who can turn out funny episodes? is it just that the people in charge of the direction of the show are so unfunny and not clever that it won't happen? or has who the characters are just changed so much that the showrunners perceive returning to that too far a change for the audience the simpsons have NOW?

in short, can a show that has been running so long and changed so much (for the worse) ever rebound, or is it doomed to mediocrity? i don't know. just something that crosses my mind every now and then.

It's possible. There was the scene in the movie where Marge leaves Homer and he's watching the tape of her explaining that she's leaving him, and it cuts right into their wedding tape because she recorded over it. That was a powerful, heart-moving scene taken right out of the good days. James Brooks was the guy that gave Simpsons its heart, so maybe he did that scene, but he's been absent from the actual TV show.

They need to bring some of the old fucks back and have them really take over the show. Like bringing in Abe Simpson to replace the Itchy & Scratchy writers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fisheyes said:
1) Homer Bad Man
2) And Maggie Makes Three
3) Homer Goes to College
4) Marge vs. the Monorail
5) Bart Sells His Soul
6) King Size Homer
7) Mother Simpson
8) Marge Be Not Proud
9) 22 Short Films About Springfield
10) The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show
Mother Simpson is an interesting one because I don't think that the episode overall is all that great (the comedy has a bit of a late-Simpsons feel to it) but the ending is soooooo good.

Grug said:
This episode has my favorite Simpsons moment of all time.

"Bart, I don't wish to alarm you but there may be a boogeyman or boogeymen in this house!"
159.jpg

Oh man, same here. That's one of the best lines. I can't find a picture as usual but I love when Homer and Bart are in the ocean wearing shark fins laughing and when Bart shows up Homer freaks out and runs away. :lol

human5892

Queen of Denmark
The problem with the idea of a series rebound/reboot is that there's really no incentive for it to happen. Clearly, the current writing staff believes they are doing right by the series, and it continues to be popular and profitable. You'd need a strong push from the top -- maybe Groening could, like, bump his head and have a revelation -- to completely change the tone and style of what the show has become, and probably at least some new staff (producers, writers) as well.

I'm in 100% agreement that the show has declined so badly that it's pretty much unwatchable for (most) fans of the older seasons, but I just don't see any hope for a restoration of quality.

Great thread, BTW.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
that it continues to be profitable and popular is probably the biggest problem. i have to imagine that at least some members of the staff--particularly the higher-ups who have been there so long like groening--are well aware that the show is not what it used to be. taking the risk of doing something drastically different (but at the same time so familiar, as it would be the way the show used to be) is probably something fox and many people in charge aren't interested in doing. it's a sure-thing at this point.

i do wonder what a return to the comedy style and dedication to story of seasons 3-5 would do to the ratings. the show would be inarguably funnier, to be sure, drawing back in old fans, and i think the shift would be nearly imperceptible to fans of the new episodes, who i think will watch just about anything.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
to me greg daniels really gave the office (s2) a pretty strong simpsons vibe from a comedy standpoint fwiw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom