• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J. Abrams' Alcatraz (Jorge Garcia, Sam Neill, Sarah Jones)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this gonna be the official topic for season 1? It is a 2 hour season premiere tonight. Reminder for anyone that needs to set their dvr.

Sloane

Banned
From what I've read it's basically a procedural.
Almost every show works with some kind of template. Fringe is basically a procedural, especially in its first season. Lost had some procedural elements (the flashback of the week instead of the monster / murder of the week). Alias was basically a procedural. Not sure how that's a bad thing.

I'll be interested to see what kind of ratings it pulls though.
You don't care about the show but its ratings?

The showrunners already have an ending in mind, but then people on the Internet will pre-guess it correctly, so the showrunners will change the ending into something stupid.

WillyFive

I will do this...

...unless someone shouts at me within the next hour.

image.php

You don't want to do it?

You don't have to if you don't want to.

I watched the first episode on a flight from New York. As someone who has seen Lost and Fringe, this show is kinda campy. It's nowhere as interesting. I like Dr Grant and Hurley, but not in this. Then again, there are shows with lots of mediocre pilots that ending up getting a lot better.

Are they going to build up the secrecy and then you find out the secret is the ugly aliens.

Apparently the pilot answers a lot of the questions it initially sets up, so it seems those involved should be clever in that regard, although it is supposed to end with something big - and that will probably be this seasons "thing" to focus on

bubnbob

Banned
When San Francisco Police Department Det. Rebecca Madsen (Sarah Jones) is assigned to a grisly homicide case, a fingerprint leads her to Jack Sylvane (Jeffrey Pierce), a former Alcatraz Island prisoner who died decades ago. Given her family history— both her grandfather and surrogate uncle, Ray Archer (Robert Forster), were guards at the prison —Madsen's interest is immediately piqued, and once an enigmatic, government agent Emerson Hauser (Sam Neill) tries to impede her investigation, she is doggedly committed.

Madsen turns to Alcatraz expert and comic book enthusiast Dr. Diego "Doc" Soto (Jorge Garcia) to piece together the inexplicable sequence of events. The twosome discovers that Sylvane is not only alive, but he is loose on the streets of San Francisco, leaving bodies in his wake. And strangely, he has not aged a day since he was in Alcatraz, when the prison was ruled by the iron-fisted Warden Edwin James (Jonny Coyne) and the merciless Associate Warden E.B. Tiller (Jason Butler Harner).

Poor Hurley, already typecast as the fat comic nerd.

ivysaur12

Banned
JJ TV show = great concept, nose-diving quality.

Eh, Fringe has probably been his most consistent show, even with a less than ideal fourth season. And he's only the EP on most of his shows. His involvement with Lost at the end was extremely superfluous compared to his involvement with, say, Undercovers.

When San Francisco Police Department Det. Rebecca Madsen (Sarah Jones) is assigned to a grisly homicide case, a fingerprint leads her to Jack Sylvane (Jeffrey Pierce), a former Alcatraz Island prisoner who died decades ago. Given her family history— both her grandfather and surrogate uncle, Ray Archer (Robert Forster), were guards at the prison —Madsen's interest is immediately piqued, and once an enigmatic, government agent Emerson Hauser (Sam Neill) tries to impede her investigation, she is doggedly committed.

Madsen turns to Alcatraz expert and comic book enthusiast Dr. Diego "Doc" Soto (Jorge Garcia) to piece together the inexplicable sequence of events. The twosome discovers that Sylvane is not only alive, but he is loose on the streets of San Francisco, leaving bodies in his wake. And strangely, he has not aged a day since he was in Alcatraz, when the prison was ruled by the iron-fisted Warden Edwin James (Jonny Coyne) and the merciless Associate Warden E.B. Tiller (Jason Butler Harner).

Poor Hurley, already typecast as the fat comic nerd.

He's a fat actor getting work on network television as a regular. Whatever.

Pretty good pilot episode. I'll watch the 2nd half later. Here are some comments:

- Story is pretty easy to get into and has a lot of room for creative ideas
- Jack Sylvane was pretty bad ass
- Did Hurley get fatter?
- Pretty weird how Jack just woke up inside Alcatraz.
- Over all, I like it so far and I'm sure I'll watch the show for the rest of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom