• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcatraz: The thread of J.J. Abrams and DR. DIEGO “DOC” SOTO (aka Jorge Garcia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCreasy

We got our first look at the characters of Alcatraz today, the new J.J. Abrams project that's launching on FOX in Fall 2011.

Expect unapologetic sci-fi overtones and healthy doses of Hurley as DR. DIEGO “DOC” SOTO!

Also, Sam Neill awesomeness!

Check it out . . .

ALCATRAZ-600x399.jpg

Funky Poppa has provided us with the first trailer. Click here.

Thanks Priz for hooking us up with the poster!

alcatraz-abrams-poster-fox.png

And here's the first blurb . . .

From executive producer J.J. Abrams (FRINGE, “Lost,” “Star Trek” and the upcoming “Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol” and “Super 8”) and writer and executive producer Elizabeth Sarnoff (“Lost,” “Deadwood”) comes ALCATRAZ, the chilling new thriller centered on America’s most infamous prison and one-time home to the nation’s most notorious murderers, rapists, kidnappers, thieves and arsonists. When San Francisco Police Department DET. REBECCA MADSEN (Sarah Jones, “Sons of Anarchy”) is assigned to a grisly homicide case, a fingerprint leads her to a shocking suspect: JACK SYLVANE (guest star Jeffrey Pierce, “The Nine”), a former Alcatraz inmate who died decades ago. Given her family history – both her grandfather and surrogate uncle, RAY ARCHER (Robert Forster, “Jackie Brown”), were guards at the prison – Madsen’s interest is immediately piqued, and once the enigmatic, knows-everything-but-tells-nothing government agent EMERSON HAUSER (Sam Neill, “Jurassic Park”) tries to impede her investigation, she’s doggedly committed. Madsen turns to Alcatraz expert and comic book enthusiast, DR. DIEGO “DOC” SOTO (Jorge Garcia, “Lost”), to piece together the inexplicable sequence of events. The twosome discovers that Sylvane is not only alive, but he’s loose on the streets of San Francisco, leaving bodies in his wake. And strangely, he hasn’t aged a day since he was in Alcatraz, when the prison was ruled by the iron-fisted WARDEN EDWIN JAMES (Jonny Coyne, “Undercovers”) and the merciless ASSOCIATE WARDEN E.B. TILLER (Jason Butler Harner, “The Changeling”). Madsen and Soto reluctantly team with Agent Hauser and his technician, LUCY BANERJEE (Parminder Nagra, “ER”), to stop Sylvane’s vengeful killing spree. By delving into Alcatraz history, government cover-ups and Rebecca’s own heritage, the team will ultimately discover that Sylvane is only a small part of a much larger, more sinister present-day threat. For while he may be the first, it quickly becomes clear that Sylvane won’t be the last prisoner to reappear from Alcatraz. Through the course of the investigation, Madsen and Soto will learn that Agent Hauser has known about the prison’s secret history and has been awaiting the prisoners’ return. Soto will witness his life’s work – the history of Alcatraz – come alive. Madsen will be forced to keep her supportive San Francisco cop fiancé, JIMMY DICKENS (Santiago Cabrera, “Heroes”), at arm’s length from the highly classified assignment as she sees everything she thought she knew about her family’s past shattered, all while fighting to keep the country safe from history’s most dangerous criminals

Here are the rest of the pics . . .

227923_153322811400564_152510368148475_302956_2818491_n.jpg

230636_153322804733898_152510368148475_302955_998167_n.jpg

225830_153322818067230_152510368148475_302957_1204100_n.jpg

224638_153322841400561_152510368148475_302958_3324780_n.jpg

226437_153322851400560_152510368148475_302959_2397137_n.jpg

222227_153322791400566_152510368148475_302954_7017561_n.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Should I watch this from the beginning or wait to make sure it doesn't get cancelled?

Clevinger

Keyser Soze said:
I love the way JJ makes it into the name of all these threads for season 1 of "his" shows, yet he does fuck all in any of them

Co-creating shows and directing their pilots (and setting the look and tone of the rest of the series) is doing fuck all?

Clevinger said:
Co-creating shows and directing their pilots is doing fuck all?

I did not fall in love with Lost until Season 2 onwards (he was not there then). I did not fall in love with Fringe on till midway through Season 1, he was off doing other stuff there too. He <10% of the reason why I like both shows. His directing in the pilot of Undercovers was abysmal too.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Discotheque said:
Fringe got more interesting after JJ Abrams left. The same will probably apply on this one too.
Abrams had nothing to do with Fringe sucking until really, really late into the show. That was Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci being terrible hacks as usual.

Keyser Soze said:
I did not fall in love with Lost until Season 2 onwards (he was not there then). I did not fall in love with Fringe on till midway through Season 1, he was off doing other stuff there too. He <10% of the reason why I like both shows. His directing in the pilot of Undercovers was abysmal too.

It's too bad really. I was hoping the show could be great, it was just missing the magic I was hoping for.

Man I wish we could get a new Alias.

EDIT: Just watched the trailer. LOVED it. Sam Neil is in my favorite film of all time Jurassic Park. And Jorge Garcia AND JJ Abrams.

I need to sit.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Love it.

I know the JJ backlash is in full force these days, and I DO understand it, but I don't agree with it.

Yeah Fringe and LOST were sometimes spooky and mysterious just for the sake of it, with no real plan & no real answers plotted but... so what? With these shows, I'm just along for the ride.

Just enjoy the atmosphere, enjoy the twists and turns, and be entertained. Be glad we have someone bringing us (mostly) smart, mainstream Sci-Fi at all. JJ's greatest magic trick is that he got mainstream America hooked on a sci-fi show at all.

So yeah... I'll be watching Alcatraz every week, eating it up.

Slime

Banned
As long as it has good characters, drama and weird stuff to puzzle over, I'm in. So far I'm only convinced that it has a bit of the first thing and the last, but we'll see. JJ Abrams has disappointed me before, but it seems like the showrunner is actually Elizabeth Sarnoff, which gives me some hope. She wrote some really good LOST and Deadwood episodes.

Jarmel

Banned
Will watch. Fervently I might add. The whole premise is awesome and Sam Neill is awesome. Only two reasons I need.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Looks way better than expecting. Why Fox though? Ugh, doesn't stand a chance.

BTW, whatever happened to Odd Jobs, with Michael Emerson and Terry OQuinn? I thought that also got greenlit.

John Harker said:
Looks way better than expecting. Why Fox though? Ugh, doesn't stand a chance.

BTW, whatever happened to Odd Jobs, with Michael Emerson and Terry OQuinn? I thought that also got greenlit.

Got sidelined for w.e reason.

Emerson is in another spy/blackops/hitman w.e type of show anyway. Sounds really good, just no Locke.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Looks alright. But will not last.

Should have been Locke & Key. And that blonde girl is good too.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Trailer kind of turned me off, but that's more due to the awful editing and music. I'll give it a shot, it seems like JJ keeps trying to recreate the X-Files and that's fine by me. Maybe one of these days he can stop beating around the edges and Fox will just let him reboot the franchise.

Replicant

Looks interesting. Sam Neill is obviously Satan. Haven't they seen "Event Horizons"?

At any rate, this is not based on real events, is it? I've been to Alcatraz tour and I don't remember hearing about 300+ people vanishing during one night. There were some prison break attempts and some managed to swim although presumably not made it out alive to the other side.

Arment

J.J. Abrams giving Lost stars some jobs. I think Michael Emerson is in another Abrams show too.

Wasn't sure what to think about this but just saw the trailer. Fairly impressed, especially by Sam Neill.

mm04

I'll be watching. I had not read anything about it or even knew who was starring in it, other than Jorge Garcia, so the whole thing is new to me. Looks interesting enough. I'll watch it day 1, even with the possible heartbreak of seeing cancellation before it even gets started. It sucks that we as viewers have to take that into consideration before committing to watching a show from the onset.

UraMallas

I hate when the spoil shit in the promos. Unless they are leading us down the wrong path at the end of this promo they seem to give away too much.

This looks like it could be good. The plot synopsis is more interesting than any of the pilots of the 2010 season, so I may give this one a chance.

Funky Papa said:
Abrams had nothing to do with Fringe sucking until really, really late into the show. That was Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci being terrible hacks as usual.

Does not compute. Fringe was good from the start, but a tad slow. But once that show got going, it hasn't looked back. Best thing on broadcast TV.

As for Alcatraz, I am interested due to Abrams and Garcia. Sam Neill is just icing on the cake.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'll watch. Hopefully the true creative forces can run the show from the start rather than having Abrams and company looking over their shoulder for half a season until they get bored and run off to something else.

Clevinger said:
Co-creating shows and directing their pilots (and setting the look and tone of the rest of the series) is doing fuck all?
He didn't direct this pilot. Like a lot of the uber-producers in television, he's not doing much at all except getting a fat paycheck for helping sell someone else's idea. Abrams is a brand, it's leveraged to get the writers in the room with network executives, then to get it picked up, then to attract an audience.

There was a nice little rant by Shawn Ryan about these kinds of guys on some podcast several months ago. They contribute very little to a show but consume significantly disproportionate amount of the budget and credit.

PhoncipleBone said:
Does not compute. Fringe was good from the start, but a tad slow. But once that show got going, it hasn't looked back. Best thing on broadcast TV.
It's the truth. The show was a pretty bland X-Files ripoff while Orci and Kurtzman had sway. Only when they left did Olivia develop a personality. Only then did the show find its direction. Those guys, and Abrams for constantly hiring and working with them, are hacks.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
looks like another show filled with people asking questions nobody answers.

also, Sam Neil is an Alien. calling it now.

Epcott

Awaits inevitable love story blossoming between Elizabeth Sarnoff and Jorge Garcia.

The killer is actually
Jacob[spoiler/]

Replicant

Talon- said:
I hope Sam Neill goes crazy and rips his own eyes out.

"DO YOU SEE? DO YOU SEE??!!!"

I suddenly have an urge to see "Event Horizons" again. Especially now that Jason Isaacs is also cast in a TV series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom