• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J. Abrams: Gay Characters Coming to ‘Star Wars’

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/26/j-j-abrams-gay-characters-coming-to-star-wars.html

Two months and two billion box office dollars later, Star Wars: The Force Awakens has reaped huge returns for Disney with its most progressive episode yet. Now that Daisy Ridley’s Rey and John Boyega’s Finn have given the Star Wars franchise its first female Jedi and black lead, respectively, does its fearless director J.J. Abrams see a future for a gay character in the galaxy?

“Of course!” Abrams said Thursday night at his Bad Robot HQ, where he hosted the US-Ireland Alliance’s annual Oscar Wilde Awards ahead of Sunday’s Oscars, where The Force Awakens is nominated in five categories. “When I talk about inclusivity it’s not excluding gay characters. It’s about inclusivity. So of course.”

By Abrams’ logic, the sprawling Star Wars universe couldn’t possibly exist without a gay populace—even if we haven’t seen a single character identified as gay thus far. “I would love it,” he said. “To me, the fun of Star Wars is the glory of possibility. So it seems insanely narrow-minded and counterintuitive to say that there wouldn’t be a homosexual character in that world.”

Amid the #OscarsSoWhite controversy, Abrams has been vocal about the need for Hollywood to not just talk about but take action in the name of diversity.

Freeze me in carbonite if old.

Good on ya, JJ

Kyosaiga

Banned
JJ's balls when it comes to combating whitewashed Hollywood is really refreshing.

Who knows what impact John Boeyga's casting alone will cause long term.

As long as they aren't "the gay character" it's fine.

Just make a good character that happens to be gay, don't worry about labels or whatever.

You know I was just making a joke when the underside of the internet (and some family) was freaking out about "finn might kiss rey!, damn interracial brain washing!" that being even more progressive would be poe kissing finn.

I love it, bring it on.

Well in the new canon so far we already have gay characters so it only seems likely they'll be repped on the big screen. Good stuff.

Boke1879

Doesn't sound like he's confirming anything for episode 8. just seems like he's saying "Yes there are gay characters in this universe."

Monocle

Sad to see this franchise become a PC mouthpiece. :((( First we have to believe black people and women can be heroes, and now they're going to try to tell us that gay people exist in the Star Wars universe. :((((((((((((((

George Lucas isn't dead, so he can't be rolling in his grave, but I know he's rich enough to buy a tilt-a-whirl. He's probably whirling and twirling in grief for his beloved creation as we speak.

Salsa

She doesn't strike me as Asian, just old and wizened. And she's played by a black actress, which is great, but I would appreciate a little more representation for Asian-Americans

rogue one has like 3 asian characters

and the main character is mexican

You know I was just making a joke when the underside of the internet (and some family) was freaking out about "finn might kiss rey!, damn interracial brain washing!" that being even more progressive would be poe kissing finn.

I love it, bring it on.

Lol this just made me think of the Eric Andre prank with the cop where they start making out randomly in a coffee shop. That's how they need to do it with Poe and Finn. No buildup or context, just goin at it. Can you imagine the glorious outrage?

65-c4e1091d.jpg

Sad to see this franchise become a PC mouthpiece. :((( First we have to believe black people and women can be heroes, and now they're going to try to tell us that gay people exist in the Star Wars universe. :((((((((((((((

George Lucas isn't dead, so he can't be rolling in his grave, but I know he's rich enough to buy a tilt-a-whirl. He's probably whirling and twirling in grief for his beloved creation as we speak.

The sad thing is people unironically post that.

riotous

Banned
Doesn't confirm that they're coming.

I mean.. if their paraphrasing of whatever question was asked is accurate, he certainly is claiming a gay character will be in the universe.

does its fearless director J.J. Abrams see a future for a gay character in the galaxy?

“Of course!” Abrams said Thursday night at his Bad Robot HQ, where he hosted the US-Ireland Alliance’s annual Oscar Wilde Awards ahead of Sunday’s Oscars, where The Force Awakens is nominated in five categories. “When I talk about inclusivity it’s not excluding gay characters. It’s about inclusivity. So of course

He seems to be essentially saying "of course there will be gay characters."

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

If this isn't sarcasm then I feel bad for you.

Forkball

Yeah like others have said, he nowhere states that upcoming Star Wars films are going to have gay characters, just that it's possible and that obviously gay characters exist in the universe. Star Wars is pretty sexless as a whole. There are like three non-sibling kisses in seven films. If there is a gay character in the film, it will probably be fairly subtle or downplayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom