• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J. Abrams: Gay Characters Coming to ‘Star Wars’

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
As long as it is well written and not cliche then this is a great thing.

For those of you trying to ship Finn and Poe, if the Director notices and it's well written and built on well in the plot that's fine, but if we get another Legend of Korra situation where things felt shoehorned in last moment because of fan request, I won't be pleased.

This is a weird topic, because sexuality barely comes up in this series at all. The closest we would get is someone like Poe Dameron, who is just implied.

Bronx-Man

Banned
As long as it is well written and not cliche then this is a great thing.

For those of you trying to ship Finn and Poe, if the Director notices and it's well written and built on well in the plot that's fine, but if we get another Legend of Korra situation where things felt shoehorned in last moment because of fan request, I won't be pleased.
One day people will have to accept that Korra & Asami had better chemistry in the series than Korra + Mako ever did.

Monocle

Still wearing their helmets.
NflTg7nl.jpg

This is a weird topic, because sexuality barely comes up in this series at all. The closest we would get is someone like Poe Dameron, who is just implied.
Other than Luke kissing Leia, Han courting Leia, Han kissing Leia, Lando trying to charm Leia...

Yep, no sign of sexuality at all. No indication of which characters might be straight, so why gay it all up?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
One day people will have to accept that Korra & Asami had better chemistry in the series than Korra + Mako ever did.

If one day there is a director's cut actually showing this and their relationship growth, then I will accept it.

studyguy

When we're dealing with beings from across the universe, you'd think that someone being black or gay or literally anything relating to human would be as vanilla as can be tbh. Like aliens out here fucking cross dimensional beings and shit and we're too afraid to touch the booty.

Boke1879

Yea like the only person I can see it being is Poe and like you said that's just implied because we only know him as a pilot.

The whole Finn x Poe thing is nothing but internet and fan shipping

Yea like the only person I can see it being is Poe and like you said that's just implied because we only know him as a pilot.

The whole Finn x Poe thing is nothing but internet and fan shipping

Fan shipping that Oscar Isaac himself approves of.

Anyway, no sexuality in Star Wars?

1. Han Solo and Princess Leia
2. Anakin and Padme
3. Beru and Owen
4. Bail Organa and his wife
5. Jabba and Boba Fett love the ladies
6. Luke and Leia (yeah it was gross)
Han and Chewie

riotous

Banned
This is a weird topic, because sexuality barely comes up in this series at all..

First trilogy had a love triangle turned incestuous; second had a heavy focus on the courtship between Anakain and Padme, and of course their eventual child.

The characters having romantic desires are a pretty big part of the stroy.

Boke1879

Fan shipping that Oscar Isaac himself approves of.

At the end of the day it's still fan shipping. I just don't want this to feel shoehorned and right now there is no basis for Finn having any sort of attraction to Poe. He's shown greater interest in Rey.

Now if it's written well. I'm all for it. That's to say we're even getting an openly gay character in these next two films. JJ doesn't confirm it really.

Boke1879

I've seen that. I've said the only one so far I see being gay is Poe. But I'm still not seeing this Finn x Poe thing based on a slight lip bite, a hug and an arm pat. Finn so far has shown much greater interest in Rey.

As I said earlier Rey could be gay for all we know.

Oersted

At the end of the day it's still fan shipping. I just don't want this to feel shoehorned and right now there is no basis for Finn having any sort of attraction to Poe. He's shown greater interest in Rey.

Now if it's written well. I'm all for it. That's to say we're even getting an openly gay character in these next two films. JJ doesn't confirm it really.

It can be one way interest. Not that uncommon you know. Or he moves on between the movies/ discovers someone else in the next movie etc

GhaleonEB

I've seen that. I've said the only one so far I see being gay is Poe. But I'm still not seeing this Finn x Poe thing based on a slight lip bite, a hug and an arm pat. Finn so far has shown much greater interest in Rey.

As I said earlier Rey could be gay for all we know.

He never shows anything but platonic affection toward Rey.

Poe gets the smolder. :p

Could go either way. But I think it's ambiguous enough that it wouldn't be a leap.

RM8

But what's the point? I think it's harmful to make gay characters just to pander like this, why is it important if a character is gay or not? It should be normal and not something you announce or shove down anyone's throat.

/s

Syf

Banned
But what's the point? I think it's harmful to make gay characters just to pander like this, why is it important if a character is gay or not? It should be normal and not something you announce or shove down anyone's throat.

/s
I do enjoy how /s is an excuse to post whatever shit you want on this forum

Boke1879

It can be one way interest. Not that uncommon you know. Or he moves on between the movies/ discovers someone else in the movie etc

And I get that, but I'm saying right now there is no basis for it other than fans wanting it or the internet doing that thing where they ship everything under the sun.

But if it's written well and it naturally evolves over the course of the movies? Hell yea I'm all for it. I just don't want something like this shoehorned.

Astral Dog

people always think boys , but what about a cute girl couple? maybe even alien or droids.

umm, or like,Phasma and one of the Order officials, or even
Rei

Other than Luke kissing Leia, Han courting Leia, Han kissing Leia, Lando trying to charm Leia...

Yep, no sign of sexuality at all. No indication of which characters might be straight, so why gay it all up?

basically all of the romance in the OT was centered around Han, because he was a ladies man. Han flirting with the princess, Lando moving in on Han's girl, luke and han competing for her affection, etc

There wasn't any romance in ep 7 because there aren't any characters that are actively pursuing each other, so nobody's sexuality was brought up.

Monocle

Yeah, less "they are coming" and more "they're already here".
The internet has known what's up for ages.

6PnCqsi.png
thGpaJLl.jpg

tdTvFNYl.jpg
KOrjIwNl.png

Arg beaten.

Just a lot of awkward headbutting, and garbled, staticky breathing.

"I've loved you HT671A5D4, ever since we were stolen from our families and forced into military service."
A very relatable story. Hope it spawns a new trilogy.

basically all of the romance in the OT was centered around Han, because he was a ladies man. Han flirting with the princess, Lando moving in on Han's girl, luke and han competing for her affection, etc

There wasn't any romance in ep 7 because there aren't any characters that are actively pursuing each other, so nobody's sexuality was brought up.
Every Star Wars movie other than Ep. 7 has an element of hetero romance.

Oersted

And I get that, but I'm saying right now there is no basis for it other than fans wanting it or the internet doing that thing where they ship everything under the sun.

But if it's written well and it naturally evolves over the course of the movies? Hell yea I'm all for it. I just don't want something like this shoehorned.

Im saying isn't that much of a compelling argument.

So "in this series" collapses down to Episode 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom