• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J. Abrams: Gay Characters Coming to ‘Star Wars’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

He never shows anything but platonic affection toward Rey.

Poe gets the smolder. :p

Could go either way. But I think it's ambiguous enough that it wouldn't be a leap.

Finn also asked Rey if she had a boyfriend. Could me nothing or it could mean something.

That bump that Poe gives Finn to me just says "hey we're about to embark on a dangerous mission. You ready?"

But hey they could be me misreading the situation.

Going to love the reactions of the all the people that are going to be furious over this.

Isn't this what everybody said about a lead character being black? And outside of the vocal minority on the internet I don't remember seeing anything about anyone giving a shit. From what I can tell Finn is a fan favorite.

Can't help but think it would be the same thing with a gay character/couple. Yeah you're always going to get some people upset by it but the majority won't even see how this is newsworthy.

Fat4all

Banned
Yes i'm here for Poe x Finn, they're perfect together! I'll be mad if Poe ends up with anyone else
All this Poe x Finn love makes me happy.

M1fmEJT.png

Boke1879

Isn't this what everybody said about a lead character being black? And outside of the vocal minority on the internet I don't remember seeing anything about anyone giving a shit. From what I can tell Finn is a fan favorite.

Can't help but think it would be the same thing with a gay character/couple. Yeah you're always going to get some people upset by it but the majority won't even see how this is newsworthy.

You're right. It won't be a big deal because it won't be overtly obvious in the first place. At most you're going to see a kiss. that's it.

There are many people who are stupid enough to be upset, but just smart enough not to say anything in public. The overall flap will be quieter than it was for Finn because it's general more socially acceptable to talk about "shoehorning" and other variants when talking about blacks, Asians, women, etc. then when talking about LGBTQ.

The black thing was such a big deal that I've actually seen "moderate" conservatives I know get upset about it.

I want me some gay people in Star Wars, but it's going to cause quite the huff

Yes i'm here for Poe x Finn, they're perfect together! I'll be mad if Poe ends up with anyone else
I don't think we'll get Poe x Finn, sadly.

I feel pretty confident that if Abrams makes good on this, it will almost certainly involve Poe, but I think they have other plans for Finn that are pretty hard set. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Boke1879

Lend me your crystal ball, I have some money to win.

Personally I don't think it'll be a huge deal. Sure you may have another twitter campaign but at the end of it all the movie will still go on to break records and people will be too busy dissecting plot points and formulating theories.

Still waiting for the PoexFinnxRei love triangle.

Poe wants Finn, Rei wants Finn, and Finn can't make up his mind between either because he's never been in a relationship before, doesn't have the coping skills he'd have learned growing up, and has little executive ability because it's been scrubbed out of his brain.

Damn it, whose tears are going to be the saltiest? The closet racists, if Finn and Rey become a couple, or the homophobes, if it is Finn and Poe?

Trick question: The saltiest tears will be from those on the sunken ship.

Oh, also, you need to have Finn and Rey kiss in Episode VIII and Poe and his boyfriend (or husband~~~?) kiss in Episode IX. Gotta make it an ever-rising level of antagonism towards bigots. :v

Oersted

Personally I don't think it'll be a huge deal. Sure you may have another twitter campaign but at the end of it all the movie will still go on to break records and people will be too busy dissecting plot points and formulating theories.

So you don't think it will a big deal and you don't it to be shoehorned in. And probably something else.

Okay.

kirblar

I don't think we'll get Poe x Finn, sadly.

I feel pretty confident that if Abrams makes good on this, it will almost certainly involve Poe, but I think they have other plans for Finn that are pretty hard set. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
I like that they're playing it as a one-sided thing (Poe clearly interested, Finn interested elsewhere and oblivious) and would be unhappy if they warped it to make shippers happy. Just introduce a new character after Poe gets shut down.

kinggroin

Banned
...uh...confirmation from, "I would love it"?

I mean, its the universe, so yeah gays, transgendered, Democrats, Republicans...you name. They should all be present and accounted for if we care about some authenticity and relatability.

And I get that, but I'm saying right now there is no basis for it other than fans wanting it or the internet doing that thing where they ship everything under the sun.

But if it's written well and it naturally evolves over the course of the movies? Hell yea I'm all for it. I just don't want something like this shoehorned.

I missed this post.

See, I think that mindset really does suck. Gay characters always have to be proven to be "validly" gay, and it happens with basically everyone but white cishet guys. Creating a double standard is a lot worse than having a possibly sloppy attempt at including a gay character.

Boke1879

So you don't think it will a big deal and you don't it to be shoehorned in. And probably something else.

Okay.

Shoehorned in the sense if Finn was all of a sudden just into Poe in episode 8. If we are to assume Poe is gay his attraction to Finn at present it pretty one sided. Finn shows a much greater interest in Rey even if it's just a friendship.

Now if something naturally evolves between the two sure I'm all for it. But I still don't think Poe ends up with Finn. Weren't they casting a female interest for Finn? I feel Poe ends up with someone else. IF that's the route they go.

Oersted

Shoehorned in the sense if Finn was all of a sudden just into Poe in episode 8. If we are to assume Poe is gay his attraction to Finn at present it pretty one sided. Finn shows a much greater interest in Rey even if it's just a friendship.

Now if something naturally evolves between the two sure I'm all for it. But I still don't think Poe ends up with Finn. Weren't they casting a female interest for Finn? I feel Poe ends up with someone else. IF that's the route they go.

May god help your unconcerned soul if that other casted female interest will be shoehorned in.

Boke1879

May god help your unconcerned soul if that other casted female interest will be shoehorned in.

I only brought that up as a reason why I don't see Finn x Poe happening. To be quite honest with you I don't want Rey, Finn or Poe having any relationships. I'm more so interested in seeing how Finn responds to his place in the story and what becomes of him. Also interested in seeing how they make Poe's character more prominent in future movies.

HardRojo

As long as they aren't "the gay character" it's fine.

Just make a good character that happens to be gay, don't worry about labels or whatever.

Yep, that's the reason I loved how Bill was portrayed in The Last of Us, he was another character that just happened to be gay and some people even didn't notice at first.

Turin

Banned
I won't hold my breath but the chemistry between Poe and Finn was very charming. I'd be cool with them being just "potentially romantic" best buds throughout the trilogy.

Oersted

I only brought that up as a reason why I don't see Finn x Poe happening. To be quite honest with you I don't want Rey, Finn or Poe having any relationships. I'm more so interested in seeing how Finn responds to his place in the story and what becomes of him. Also interested in seeing how they make Poe's character more prominent in future movies.

So your point is you don't want relationships in Star Wars anymore.

Okay. Interesting.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
It's totally Poe.

Boke1879

So your point is you don't want relationships in Star Wars anymore.

Okay. Interesting.

That's not what I said at all. I'm saying I don't want any relationships among the main cast with each other. No Rey x Kylo, No Finn x Rey, etc. Personally I just don't think it'll add anything. Friends sure, but not intimate if that makes sense.

Oersted

That's not what I said at all. I'm saying I don't want any relationships among the main cast with each other. No Rey x Kylo, No Finn x Rey, etc. Personally I just don't think it'll add anything. Friends sure, but not intimate if that makes sense.

Why are we discussing this?

Ivan 3414

I hope it's not Poe, so we can move past gay characters having flamboyant or obvious visual cues to signify that they're gay.

Honestly that would be more progressive than actually having Poe being gay

Didn't vii already have poe and finn?

I 10,000% ship Poe x Finn (along with the rest of the internet, it seems), but I feel fairly positive that it's gonna be more like a Finn likes Rey, Poe likes Finn, and Rey doesn't give 0 fucks type situation (but still has a sweet/friendly feel towards Finn).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom