• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J. Abrams: Gay Characters Coming to ‘Star Wars’

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
You mean...Kylux?

cnztdzR.jpg

Is this what shipping means?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wouldn't it be also likely that here would be attraction between different aliens? What would you even call that (I expect Sci-fi has term for it)

I think Poe is the likely candidate (with the goal being PoexFinn since I saw genuine romantic chemistry there the moment the scene where he told him the jacket looked good on him happened), although I would love for it to be Rey.

I've seen a lot of people pair her off with the female X-Wing pilot, Jessika, which is surprising given how little the characters role is and the fact they don't interact.

To be honest as long as Rey/Kylo Ren does not happen, I'll be happy. I feel weirded out by people who ship those two, and actually state the scene where he tortures her mind is full of ~sexual tension~.

He doesn't necessarily confirm this, I'm getting a more "yeah sure it's possible why not" from his quotes. It's not like he'd deny it as it'd make him sound like an ass and whether or not there are gay characters isn't really up to him.

I'm all fine with it if it happens but this is not any confirmation. I can see it being one of those "but JJ promised me gay characters!" scenarios.

At first I was skeptical but Poe and Finn make too much sense. That gif with him biting his lip sells it.

It is full of sexual tension

Sexual tension is definitely not something I got from Rey and Kylo, and the Finn and Poe thing is an internet meme at best. :p

Jobbs

Banned
They should make Luke turn out to be gay. We find out there's another raggedy ass old bearded dude up there with him on Jedi world.

We haven't seen anything in the movies that would preclude this possibility.. So just sayin

It is full of sexual tension, but in the bad way.
Maybe coming from Kylo Ren in a creepy way ("I can take what I want" is one hell of an uncomfortable line), but there is no way in that scene Rey is thinking anything else other than 'I am weary/potentially terrified of having my mind ripped apart'

I could see poe x finn, I think finn could be pan or bi, maybe after rey friendzoned him Hardcore he was just like "eh onto the next" and the next happened to be poe with his lip biting and intense man hugging.

kiguel182

He doesn't necessarily confirm this, I'm getting a more "yeah sure it's possible why not" from his quotes. It's not like he'd deny it as it'd make him sound like an ass and whether or not there are gay characters isn't really up to him.

I'm all fine with it if it happens but this is not any confirmation. I can see it being one of those "but JJ promised me gay characters!" scenarios.

Sexual tension is definitely not something I got from Rey and Kylo, and the Finn and Poe thing is an internet meme at best. :p

Kylo and Rey is wrong and I hope it doesn't happen. Kylo needs to die, simply.

The internet sold me on the Finn and Poe idea I admit. Makes sense.

Beefy

So some people went mental over there being a black lead actor. How bad will it get if Boyega plays a gay guy as well?

I was under the impression that Abrams was done directing star wars after ep 7. Is he staying on as producer?

They might be reading into this a bit much.

CloudWolf

Cool, I guess? I don't really see what's the big deal about this news. JJ confirms nothing, he's just saying that he'd like to see a gay character, but he hasn't got shit to do with Star Wars anymore. He might as well have said that he would like Star Wars to be about Jar Jar and his pet lungfish and it would've meant as much as this "news".

The internet has known what's up for ages.

This is why I hate the internet sometimes.

He's an executive producer for VIII.

Yes, but that doesn't mean he has any say in what the characters do or where the story goes, just that he puts his money in the production.

Experien

Yep, JJ made one movie and helped write it and the baton has been passed. He had help in developing the arch of the series but nothing is set in stone.

ignore JJ for now and only listen to the real hero and actual writer of the rest of the series, Rian Johnson.

JaseMath

I hope the gay character isn't Luke, and I hope he isn't revealed to be Rey's father either. I like the ambiguity of it.

Savitar

It's Palpatine.

What you say, yes it's true. He was once a loving trust young lad with aspirations of a good peaceful life on Naboo who wanted nothing more than to enjoy all that it offered. He loved another, wished only for that love to be returned. But Naboo despite all it's progressive ideas was still sheltered in others and that love was returned with scorn and disdain, it broke Palpatines heart. Was there anything greater than love?! Yet his was not returned. So he found something more powerful he thought, hate. He fell into the dark side and swore that all would suffer or come to know pain in a way as he had. Thus began a dark chapter.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
It's Palpatine.

What you say, yes it's true. He was once a loving trust young lad with aspirations of a good peaceful life on Naboo who wanted nothing more than to enjoy all that it offered. He loved another, wished only for that love to be returned. But Naboo despite all it's progressive ideas was still sheltered in others and that love was returned with scorn and disdain, it broke Palpatines heart. Was there anything greater than love?! Yet his was not returned. So he found something more powerful he thought, hate. He fell into the dark side and swore that all would suffer or come to know pain in a way as he had. Thus began a dark chapter.

Sorry, but we all know how he really started out.

Meowster

It is going to be great watching my evangelistic cousins that love Star Wars writhe in awkwardness and ignorance with this. The more normalization LGBT have within the media, the greater life will become for us. I'm so happy to see Star Ward become such a progressive saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom