• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J. Abrams: Gay Characters Coming to ‘Star Wars’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayis

So a character can only be gay if he doesn't show he's gay therefore not letting the audience know he's gay. All right then.

riotous

Banned
So a character can only be gay if he doesn't show he's gay therefore not letting the audience know he's gay. All right then.

And even with multiple in your face straight romances in the existing films people deny that there is sexuality in star wars; it's interesting how people don't associate multiple romances between straight characters with sexuality but I bet they'd consider even innuendo that a character is gay as "sexual."

I like that they're playing it as a one-sided thing (Poe clearly interested, Finn interested elsewhere and oblivious) and would be unhappy if they warped it to make shippers happy. Just introduce a new character after Poe gets shut down.
I don't think it's necessarily a one sided thing, the chemistry was obvious, even if unintentional on Boyega's part. But I doubt their supposed romance will be addressed at all, at least overtly.

More than likely they'll just carry on as planned with Finn, while introducing someone new for Poe. They might add some sort of subtle realization on Poe's part that pursuing Finn wouldn't work out, but beyond that I think it'll just carry on as originally planned. Again, I'd love to be wrong, and they just go hard with Poe x Finn, but as long as whichever route they take is handled properly, and not just treated as some sort of token interaction that's quickly swept under the rug, I'll be happy. (And that it involves Poe. His participation is non-negotiable.)

And even with multiple in your face straight romances in the existing films people deny that there is sexuality in star wars; it's interesting how people don't associate multiple romances between straight characters with sexuality but I bet they'd consider even innuendo that a character is gay as "sexual."

I mean, come on. The OT even had an incestual kiss for fucks sake.

sphagnum

Banned
It has to be Poe unless it's someone new.

That said, the new canon has already been introducing some gay and lesbian characters for a while (Delian Mors, the aunts from Aftermath, Sinjir Rath Velus, etc.) now so it's nice that the movies will catch up.

Monocle

The important thing is for the gay character to be super well written, or else he'll be a token gay character. He needs to match the incredible richness and depth of each and every straight character, or else what's even the point of making him gay?

While stormpilot is the obvious
and right
answer, for some reason I could totally see Phasma getting in on the action too.

Still part me is low key salty because I get the feeling if Finn was played by a white aactor KyloxRey/FinnxPoe wouldn't be as popular....

I kinda feel like this too.

*Black Male Lead, Shows Interest in White Female Lead*

*OMG did you catch the chemistry between him and Oscar Isaac!*

I understand that both pairing would be progressive, but bleh.

I hope it's Finn and Rey, and that's kinda where I thought they were going.

And don't get me started on the Kylo/Rey stuff.

Randomizer

Cool, but I hope it isn't forced for the sake of it and that they really focus on making it feel natural, realistic and believable. There should be gay characters in everything really, LGBT make up to 10% of the population. But since other minority's are still struggling for recognition and screen time it ain't happening any time soon unfortunately.

Bluth54

Poe seems a pretty likely candidate to be gay.

I'm not sure why people want Finn and Poe to be together, Finn is pretty clearly heterosexual and is interested in Rey.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hopefully they are actually played by an LGBT person.
Good point, ideally that would happen but unlike with when it comes to casting people of certain races, it leads to some great acting opportunities when a straight person plays gay, so I'm fine with it being either way.

But it's always great to see a gay person get to play a gay character, because openly gay actors getting work is important as well.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I would enjoy an asexual character since you rarely see them in movies. Could even work it into the story. Could have a dark side user trying to literally seduce them and them fighting back against that.

Son Of D

Poe seems a pretty likely candidate to be gay.

I'm not sure why people want Finn and Poe to be together, Finn is pretty clearly heterosexual and is interested in Rey.

Or Finn could be bi or pans and start out interested in Rey, but develops feelings for Poe by the end.

lawnchair

Banned
I would enjoy an asexual character since you rarely see them in movies. Could even work it into the story. Could have a dark side user trying to literally seduce them and them fighting back against that.

"i wont give in to your evil darkside sexuality!!!! i'm not into sex myself!!!!"

?

orochi91

Sorry, Kylo already got his eye on a different prize

tumblr_o2pbqvWjnb1tr6bvmo1_500.gif

Looking forward to that NTR in Episode VIII.

Replicant

Sad to see this franchise become a PC mouthpiece. :((( First we have to believe black people and women can be heroes, and now they're going to try to tell us that gay people exist in the Star Wars universe. :((((((((((((((

George Lucas isn't dead, so he can't be rolling in his grave, but I know he's rich enough to buy a tilt-a-whirl. He's probably whirling and twirling in grief for his beloved creation as we speak.

10/10.

Perfect imitation of a typical response from those bigots. There must be a factory of this recycle comments somewhere they cut and paste.

Wait, you didn't say "I have gay friends but..." as a preamble. Point deducted. 9/10

thebeeks

Banned
I'm all for Finn x Poe, but I'm secretly hoping this means we'll see one of the characters from the new books make it onto the screen.

Aftermath was a slog but Sinjir was an absolute delight and deserves screen time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How do we know Greedo wasn't gay? Come to mention it, there might be less than or more than two biological genders far,far away.

Other than the Han-Leia-Luke icky love triangle, there is barely any mention of sexuality in the SW universe.

EGM1966

Maybe it's how I'm reading it but isn't he saying he thinks that would be great and he'd be for it but not actually confirming it?

Peru

I've been saying for a while Disney should feel the responsibility and step up. Their franchises have impact around the world more than basically anything else in popular culture. LGBT representation in their stories will mean a lot to a lot of people.

This just reminded me of a guy complaining on Facebook that Sinjir in Star Wars Aftermath was a good character until it was revealed he was gay.

It's pretty hilarious how some people think the idea of gay people in the Star Wars universe is such a ridiculous concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom