• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jack Thompson says gamers can "Go To Hell"

EDITORIALSFEATURESNEWS
Jack Thompson Claims Victory in Medal of Honor Debate – Says Gamers Can, “Go To Hell”
OCTOBER 5, 2010 10:56 AM DAVE OSHRY 8 COMMENTS

You can call Jack Thompson many things, but modest is not one of them. In the wake of EA’s decision to change the name of the Taliban in Medal of Honor, Jack Thompson has claimed victory, and has a message for gamers.

Like it or not, as a gamer, you’ve probably heard of Jack Thompson. The outspoken and now disbarred Florida attorney who has made it his life’s mission to stop the sale and production of violent video games.

Well, as you may know, his latest crusade was against EA’s controversial Medal of Honor. The game which was to include the Taliban as a playable side in it’s multiplayer. Jack sent a letter outlining his opposition to Robert Gates, the U.S. Secretary of Defense. He also criticized the U.S. military who took part in the design of the game. Part of his letter reads:

With all respect for everything else on your plate, but as someone who has represented the surviving family members of such video game-caused massacres, I personally urge you, as Secretary of Defense, to do what is necessary, proper, and legal to stop the release of Medal of Honor on October 12 on the basis that it poses a demonstrable danger to our troops by providing a training tool for those who wish to kill them.

I would also strongly suggest that the Defense Department find out who these Special Ops people are who have acted so foolishly in this regard.

Finally, I believe the full weight of the federal government should come down upon Electronic Arts and the video game industry’s Entertainment Software Association for their allowing, presently and fraudulently, despite promises to Congress, the widespread pre-sale of this adult game to minors throughout the country and around the world.

No response was made to Thompson’s letter or actions, yet after much debate and heated argument, including opposition from Liam Fox, the U.K. defense minister, segments on Fox News and the game itself being banned from U.S Military bases, EA finally decided to change the name of the Taliban within the game to the Opposing Force.

Here is part of the statement from the game’s Executive Producer, Greg Goodrich:

We have also received feedback from friends and families of fallen soldiers who have expressed concern over the inclusion of the Taliban in the multiplayer portion of our game. This is a very important voice to the Medal of Honor team. This is a voice that has earned the right to be listened to. It is a voice that we care deeply about. Because of this, and because the heartbeat of Medal of Honor has always resided in the reverence for American and Allied soldiers, we have decided to rename the opposing team in Medal of Honor multiplayer from Taliban to Opposing Force.

So therein lies the reasoning behind the changes in Medal of Honor. Upon learning of this change, for some reason or another I decided to reach out to Thompson, who I’ve previously spoken with about games like Mafia II and Grand Theft Auto, to see what he had to say on the matter. In a simple e-mail, I said the following:

Hey Jack,

I’m sure you’ve heard by now that EA changed the name of the Taliban in Medal of Honor. Care to comment?

And this was his response:

Sure. I win again, as usual. Any gamers who don’t think so and who don’t appreciate what I do to protect our culture can go to Hell.

Wow. I had expected perhaps a long diatribe about gamers and the industry as a whole, as is common in Jack’s emails, but I was not expecting a statement like that. Yet, as I was still in near shock from the audacity of his previous statement, a follow up email arrived …

and please add: Any gamers that don’t know how to get to Hell on an expedited basis, let me know, and I’ll send along the cheat code to get there more quickly.

So EA claims to have removed the Taliban due to the outcry of the families of fallen American soldiers, and yet Jack Thompson claims a personal victory and tells us to go to hell. Bravo Jack, you have proven once again that you are a world class asshole.

Link Fixed

Lock if old

DaBuddaDa

Mental deranged, personality disorder ridden, god-fearing ex-lawyer says something scandalous and insane!

I know quite a few homeless street beggars who say stupid shit too!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The guy doesn't have any teeth anymore.

Stop giving him attention.

Zenith

Banned
he's been out of the game since he got disbarred. Don't give him the attention he needs to get back into the fight.

Hugbot

So, after years of clinging on to what little relevance he had, he's snapped? I'm totally all for sassy Jack, by the way.

DaBuddaDa

Everyone posting saying "stop giving him attention" should just not post because you're paying him attention.

Wait...

Shit.

LiK

"protect our culture"? :lol

serious? there are worse things in this world than video games.

Riptwo

I kind of missed Mr. Thompson, especially since he's far more detrimental to his own cause than we could ever hope to be.

zlatko

Banned
I'm just glad he only can effect games no one gives 2 craps about. :lol

If he started getting things changed in my God of Wars, Call of Duties, Gears of Wars, etc I might have to give a crap about his failed existence on planet Earth.

heidern-armfire.gif

LiK

Riptwo said:
I kind of missed Mr. Thompson, especially since he's far more detrimental to his own cause than we could ever hope to be.

yea, no major Kotick speech today, this will do.

Trick_GSF

Banned
I wonder if Jack Thompson has ever given his wife oral sex?

Nah, I don't know. Just doesn't seem like the type of fella. Anyway, just wondering.

I didn't even know he was involved in the taliban/MoH nonsense. :lol

Way to go, jack, you're more irrelevant than ever :lol :lol

Repgnar

First time i've heard his name associated with the Medal of Honor situation. How active was he in giving the game negative publicity or is he now talking since the military isn't selling it and EA's changing the name?

oracrest

Thompson said:
Sure. I win again, as usual. Any gamers who don’t think so and who don’t appreciate what I do to protect our culture can go to Hell.

I am just going to leave this here, on the subject of bipolar mania disorder, specifically "grandiosity" symptoms:

Grandiosity occurs when a person has an inflated self-esteem, believe they have special powers, spiritual connections, or religious relationships.

When grandiosity is severe, the person may be delusional about his or her capabilities.

A grandiose individual feels unrealistically powerful, important, and invincible. These beliefs are frequently accompanied by feelings of euphoria and intense pleasure. Nothing seems impossible and every problem has a solution.

The person may feel an urgent need to initiate projects or activities.

To others, the person's behavior seems pompous, boastful, and exaggerated. Observers may perceive the grandiose individual to be conceited and condescending.

The person's speedy pursuit of dreams, goals, and projects may seem impulsive.

Set goals and initiated plans may be unrealistic.

Now, I'm no doctor...

So he uses the lies of religion to attack people who play videogames?

Religion is part of our culture. He wants to protect our culture. Religion has killed infinitely more people than videogames has. Jack wants to protect killing people and eternal torture and damnation?

lol

Chairhome

So he's claiming victory for something that probably had nothing to do with him. I'm pretty sure all gov't officials have an email filter that send his emails straight to "Trash".

Top Bottom