• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jack Thompson says gamers can "Go To Hell"

DaBuddaDa said:
Mental deranged, personality disorder ridden, god-fearing ex-lawyer says something scandalous and insane!

oracrest said:
I am just going to leave this here, on the subject of bipolar mania disorder, specifically "grandiosity" symptoms:

Guys, Jack Thompson has a certificate proving him sane.

He was forced to go and get one admittedly, but he does have one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TouchMyBox said:
So he uses the lies of religion to attack people who play videogames?

Religion is part of our culture. He wants to protect our culture. Religion has killed infinitely more people than videogames has. Jack wants to protect killing people and eternal torture and damnation?

lol
Eh, I don't know, about infinitely. Video games have killed at least more then 1 person, and religion has killed a finite ammount of people. Clearly it should be immeasurable.

Drkirby said:
Eh, I don't know, about infinitely. Video games have killed at least more then 1 person, and religion has killed a finite ammount of people. Clearly it should be immeasurable.

I realize that my tree of logic doesn't hold up well to scrutiny. ;)

MrNyarlathotep said:
Guys, Jack Thompson has a certificate proving him sane.

He was forced to go and get one admittedly, but he does have one.
all that proves is that he was sane THEN. not now.

John

plagiarize said:
Jack insulted me in an e-mail he sent me once.

It's practically how he says hello.
was it an actual insult, or was it just some disparaging series of words that don't actually apply to you?

calling jack thompson a prick is an insult to pricks. meaning, appreciate the guys who put some effort into it, or make sense.

DryvBy

I wonder if Jack has ever heard of provoking people to answer. Does that not deserve hell?

And I prefer the more political correct term, fiery abyss for the unfortunate tormented souls.

John said:
was it an actual insult, or was it just some disparaging series of words that don't actually apply to you?

calling jack thompson a prick is an insult to pricks. meaning, appreciate the guys who put some effort into it, or make sense.
it was 'Don’t need your help, junior. You’re the problem'.

which makes him sound like a GAF veteran actually now that i mention it.

and the tired old 'ignore him and he'll go away' argument rolls out again.

he was the media's go to guy on this. whether we ignored him or not the media loved putting a camera in his face as much as he loved having it in his face.

it was people that refused to ignore him that got him publcially exposed for what he was, and that got his teeth cut out.

not people that ignored him.

he isn't a poster on gaf, by posing about him on gaf in reaction to attention he's already been given, we aren't giving him anything that he is after. he doesn't care what we think. he doesn't care if we like him or not.

he only cares when we go and fight him on his turf and ignoring him doesn't make that happen now does it?

Chrange

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Dude, you got yourself disbarred. That's the opposite of winning.
That was part of his master plan though. Now he has all kinds of time to devote to protecting the American culture!

plagiarize said:
all that proves is that he was sane THEN. not now.

Actually I think the fact he was required to go and get evidence to prove he ISN'T insane speaks volumes about both his character and his actions.

Genuinely mentally ill people can be absolved of their actions due to mental illness.

Jack Thompson has a certificate proving that he can't.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I kind of miss the days back when this guy was the resident asshole and not Kotick. For all the attention he gathers, Thompson has little effect on the way games are made. Kotick, on the other hand...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Thank you Mr. Thompson for saving our culture. Now i can finally go to heaven where God awaits.

Thompson & God : 1
Gamers & Satan : 0

John

plagiarize said:
it was 'Don’t need your help, junior. You’re the problem'.

which makes him sound like a GAF veteran actually now that i mention it.

and the tired old 'ignore him and he'll go away' argument rolls out again.

he was the media's go to guy on this. whether we ignored him or not the media loved putting a camera in his face as much as he loved having it in his face.

it was people that refused to ignore him that got him publcially exposed for what he was, and that got his teeth cut out.

not people that ignored him.

he isn't a poster on gaf, by posing about him on gaf in reaction to attention he's already been given, we aren't giving him anything that he is after. he doesn't care what we think. he doesn't care if we like him or not.

he only cares when we go and fight him on his turf and ignoring him doesn't make that happen now does it?

well that's not even a real insult. what a failure.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I agree with Jack actually...he's like the big brother that beats the crap out of us but "it's for our own good" true american hero

Rainier

ScrabbleDude said:
I missed Jack. Based on his letter to the secretary of defence, I don't think he's ever heard of the America's Army game.
Shhhh...

Do you want that killing machine of a game to get into the wrong hands? Before you know it, Canadians will start getting uppity.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Oh Jack, we've been slowly sending ourselves straight to hell this entire generation. We've proven to be superb at it. We don't need your help.

Barrett2

Why would anyone make a thread about anything this person does? Who cares? He is a crazy old man with no power or influence. Should we start making threads next time a crazy old cat lady writes a letter to Campbell's Soup?

lawblob said:
Why would anyone make a thread about anything this person does? Who cares? He is a crazy old man with no power or influence. Should we start making threads next time a crazy old cat lady writes a letter to Campbell's Soup?
Yes definitely, sounds like a great thread. :lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To be fair to his uh, abilities, Jack has that born ambulance-chaser's nose required to be a good media troll. He's got the instincts to be gaming's own personal, one-man 4chan. (Chant it! One Man! Four Chan! One Man! Four Chan!)

However, the extra lawls are generated by the fact that in terms of his cultural awareness, he is the posterchild for an ignorant old conservative white granpa, who likely still hasn't heard they have color televisions these days.

So whenever he constructs one of his anti-gaming arguments, it is full of these strange references and oversights, and sometimes terminology archaic even by the standards of his social peers and his generation.

Thus, he is good at making the funny.

TL4E

He's in the phase where he resorts to outright insults without any attempt at civil discussion.

The next phase is him going Columbine at an E3 event.

Az

Hit the road Jack and don't you come back no more, no more, no more, no more.
Hit the road Jack and don't you come back no more.
What you say?
Hit the road Jack and don't you come back no more, no more, no more, no more.
Hit the road Jack and don't you come back no more.

Top Bottom