• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron's next film after AVATAR film is....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dive. :(

James Cameron has confirmed that his next project will be the romantic film The Dive.

The film, based on a true story, focuses on the relationship between free divers Francisco Ferreras and Audrey Mestre. Mestre broke several world records for holding her breath underwater but died while diving in 2002.

Cameron told The Hollywood Reporter that he will continue to use the 3-D techniques he pioneered on IMAX documentaries Ghosts of the Abyss and Aliens of the Deep.

"[The Dive] is a drama, a love story," Cameron said. "This will require underwater photography, which will look gorgeous in 3-D."

Cameron has previously spoken about the potential for filming smaller dramas in 3-D.

"The visual aesthetic of doing dramatic stuff in 3-D is very simple," he added. "Just don't remind people that they are watching a 3-D movie. That will take them out of the experience."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a96164/cameron-eyes-dive-for-next-project.html

Guess we'll have to wait that little (not) bit longer for him to get back to cyborg action with Battle Angel.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This reminds me of the premise for Luc Besson's The Big Blue, being a romance and drama about free divers. Haven't seen that movie in ages, but remember really liking it back when I saw it.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
I'll admit I'm intrigued by a 3D movie that isn't just a mindless OMG-athon (which is all I'm assuming the giant majority or 3D films will attempt to be). The next step will be for an actual artist (as opposed to simply a technically-adept storyteller like Cameron) to try their hand at it, and that could be very interesting.

How many people have actually seen a 3D film yet? Are the documentaries mentioned in the article the real deal, or are people not expecting a true exhibition of the format 'til AVATAR? I haven't been following this shit at all.

Ford Prefect said:
I'll admit I'm intrigued by a 3D movie that isn't just a mindless OMG-athon (which is all I'm assuming the giant majority or 3D films will attempt to be). The next step will be for an actual artist (as opposed to simply a technically-adept storyteller like Cameron) to try their hand at it, and that could be very interesting.

How many people have actually seen a 3D film yet? Are the documentaries mentioned in the article the real deal, or are people not expecting a true exhibition of the format 'til AVATAR? I haven't been following this shit at all.

AVATAR will be the real deal. The industry is seriously banking on AVATAR as the frontrunner to launch 3D as something to be taken seriously.

The doco's mentioned aren't even close to the real deal.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
:/

Some people.

I actually enjoyed his deep dive documentaries on Titanic and Bismark so hopefully this will be good.

Kagari said:
:/

Some people.

I actually enjoyed his deep dive documentaries on Titanic and Bismark so hopefully this will be good.

Look there's no doubt it will be good, but everybody has been waiting for him to get back to full-blown, balls-to-the-wall sci action - with cyborgs no less. So hearing that after all these years of talking about doing AVATAR and Battle Angel back to back that he's going to do a smaller drama film is kind of underwhelming. Keep in mind we haven't had an action film from Cameron in 14 years.

Scullibundo said:
I don't see what your criticism has to do with my inclination toward you.

I don't see what your inclination towards me has to do with a thread about Cameron's next project

there's an ignore list. Use it.

Fuck. One of two, maybe three people in the world with a genuine talent for sci fi has decided to do something else instead.

Fallout-NL said:
Fuck. One of two, maybe three people in the world with a genuine talent for sci fi has decided to do something else instead.
In an earlier article where he was gushing over the 3D technology, he essentially said he wanted to do something like this to show that it wasn't just a great thing for big sci-fi/action movies.

castle007

Banned
Is James Cameron even relevant anymore??

The dude seems to have gone crazy after Titanic. Everything he does is about water and oceans. BORING

Anasui Kishibe said:
I don't see what your inclination towards me has to do with a thread about Cameron's next project

there's an ignore list. Use it.

You should probably just ignore myself until tomorrow. I apologise; I've been having to deal with assholes at work all night.

castle007 said:
Is James Cameron even relevant anymore??

The dude seems to have gone crazy after Titanic. Everything he does is about water and oceans. BORING

Or as a show piece for film making technologies.

hteng

Banned
haha shit that's too bad, GUNNM has a great story, guess i'll go back to the manga, Last order is still going strong so far.

Xabora

Wait... what about Battle Angel Alita?
That was going to be after Avatar!

battle-angel-alita03.jpg

run.jpg

hteng

Banned
Xabora said:
Wait... what about Battle Angel Alita?
That was going to be after Avatar!

battle-angel-alita03.jpg

run.jpg

personally i think it's a good thing, one less good anime/manga/series getting butchered by hollywood

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
hteng said:
personally i think it's a good thing, one less good anime/manga/series getting butchered by hollywood

I think if anyone is able to make a good flick about Androids and Cyborgs, its Cameron

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Wikipedia said:
James Cameron "El Cobarde" is directing and producing Battle Angel, a live-action adaption of the first three volumes of the manga series.[4] Cameron has plans to make a trilogy if the first film is successful. Alita will be a CG character performed by an actress. Filming will be made with the new digital 3D system Cameron has developed for Avatar, and will also include new devices for interacting between actors, director and the digital characters and environments, such as a real time virtual camera and virtual retinal display (VRD) technology. Just like Avatar this movie will be marketed and distributed by 20th Century Fox worldwide. James Cameron has punked out in producing the genius that is Battle Angel Alita, and instead will become acquainted with his feminine side directing the "The Dive". A "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" knockoff that will lack originality, substance, and plot.
:lol

Anyway, can't say The Dive has ever sounded terribly interesting. He's been talking about it for ages now.

Decado

I don't get why people are so psyched about him making a sci-fi movie. Yes, Terminator 2 was awesome, but that was 14 years ago. He would hardly be the 1st director to lose his touch after such a long time.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Tyrone Slothrop said:
i wish he wasn't done with terminator. imagine how awesome it'd be if he helmed the future war trilogy. oh well.

Correct.

Does he have any input on the terminator franchise now at all?

NinjaFridge said:
Correct.

Does he have any input on the terminator franchise now at all?

nope. not at all

my guess if that titanic bombed or never existed he'd have mustered some interest to at least do a T3 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom