• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Comey answering questions at Capitol Hill today about Trump/Russia

Kyzer

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/03/politics/james-comey-senate-hearing/index.html

(CNN)FBI Director James Comey will testify Wednesday on the Capitol Hill, the day after both the sitting US President and the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee sharply criticized him for his role in the outcome of last year's presidential election.

"FBI Director Comey was the best thing that ever happened to Hillary Clinton in that he gave her a free pass for many bad deeds! The phony......Trump/Russia story was an excuse used by the Democrats as justification for losing the election. Perhaps Trump just ran a great campaign?" President Donald Trump said in a pair of tweets Tuesday.

NandoGip

giphy.gif

I expect it to be a lot like the last conference, a lot of confirmation to things already known, but a lot of 'basically no comment' to anything we all want to know, and many will dismiss it as just the left's Benghazi still.

SpaceWolf

Banned
"FBI Director Comey was the best thing that ever happened to Hillary Clinton in that he gave her a free pass for many bad deeds! The phony......Trump/Russia story was an excuse used by the Democrats as justification for losing the election. Perhaps Trump just ran a great campaign?" President Donald Trump said in a pair of tweets Tuesday.

"Perhaps Trump just ran a great campaign?" President Donald Trump said in a pair of tweets Tuesday.
"Perhaps Trump just ran a great campaign?" President Donald Trump said

Kyzer

Banned
It almost doesn't matter what Comey says, biased partisans will accuse him of working for the other side. If nothing is found, dems will say he is in on the conspiracy that they were able to figure out better than him by reading articles at home, and if something is found republicans will accuse him of being a clintonite and that the whole system is rigged. Only sane people actually listen to what the director of FBI says anymore, and no one is sane anymore after the 2016 elections.

NandoGip

I expect it to be a lot like the last conference, a lot of confirmation to things already known, but a lot of 'basically no comment' to anything we all want to know, and many will dismiss it as just the left's Benghazi still.

The last one was telling in many aspects. It was obvious who was a Trump shill based on the questions they were asking. I don't recall the exact specifics, but it definitely revealed information that was unknown, like how they've been investigating Trump for nearly a year at this point.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This would be interesting to watch.
Comey is like a stretch Armstrong doll being tugged back and forth by the republican and democratic institutions. Both want to use him as a pawn.

Kyzer

Banned
The last one was telling in many aspects. It was obvious who was a Trump shill based on the questions they were asking. I don't recall the exact specifics, but it definitely revealed information that was unknown, like how they've been investigating Trump for nearly a year at this point.

Yep, and we got to see Nunes suck Trumps balls in public for the first time and basically ask Comey for permission to lie to the press with fake leaks

It almost doesn't matter what Comey says, biased partisans will accuse him of working for the other side. If nothing is found, dems will say he is in on the conspiracy that they were able to figure out better than him by reading articles at home, and if something is found republicans will accuse him of being a clintonite and that the whole system is rigged. Only sane people actually listen to what the director of FBI says anymore, and no one is sane anymore after the 2016 elections.

People gotta stop thinking of Comey as "good guy" or "bad guy".

Comey is like Varys from ASoIaF. He just cares about making sure that his intel is in check.

NandoGip

You know Comey is legit if both sides don't like him.

I've read a few different articles on him.. he essentially seems kind of like an anti-hero. I guess he has a strong history in the FBI, he's done some notable things in the past, and you can mostly be confident that he'll do whats best. If there really is something going on between Trump and Russia, you can bet he'll expose it, but if there really isn't... he'll make sure it's known. That's my opinion at least.

This would be interesting to watch.
Comey is like a stretch Armstrong doll being tugged back and forth by the republican and democratic institutions. Both want to use him as a pawn.

No, they don't lol. If you want to say the Democrats want to use him as a 'pawn' for the Russia links, the Republicans have shown no use for past the 2016 election.

I've read a few different articles on him.. he essentially seems kind of like an anti-hero. I guess he has a strong history in the FBI, he's done some notable things in the past, and you can mostly be confident that he'll do whats best. If there really is something going on between Trump and Russia, you can bet he'll expose it, but if there really isn't... he'll make sure it's known. That's my opinion at least.

He didn't last year. Even if you want to get into the specifics of the last stage letter about the emails, the conference he had about the 'verdict' earlier in the year was unprecedented and totally inappropriate.

Comey knows what Yates knows though right? So he'll have information he may impart before Yates can get ahead of the FBI.

Yates is going to detail warning Pence and the transition on Flynn being a foreign agent. Which would be pretty damning since Flynn was one of the first people appointed for the admin.

Hence my comparison to Varys.

And just like Comey, Varys kept power by never showing allegiances either way.

tbm24

I can understand Grassley going in on the emails because what else is he going to do? But what is he getting in about now talking about terrorist?

WarMacheen

Grassley looks like he is struggling just to talk/breath.

I want Comey to just go "senator, you don't know shit"

I also hope Comey talks for the next two hours uninterrupted answering all these dumb ass questions Grassley is asking all at once.

Bluenoser

Is Grassley ever going to shut up? Nothing he's saying has any relevance to the investigation they are there to discuss.

Grassley is talking about other random FBI things...it seems like he's looking to pre-emptively discredit the FBI so that it doesn't matter what is testified today.

Top Bottom