• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Franco. Blood Meridian. Someone's actually letting him do this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tucah

you speak so well
Haha yeah should probably have the rights to something if you plan to make a professional movie. I'm still dreading what Rogan and crew may have done to Preacher.

The Seth Rogan Preacher show is still happening. It debuts in a couple weeks.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I haven't read the book but from the sounds of the content, I want this. I think I may buy the novel, is it depressing?

The book is a poetic take on a semi historical group of characters who were the worst of the worst. There is now wanton violence, rape, murder, racism and so forth in a few pages than most of Game of Thrones and towering over it all is Judge Holden who is both the classiest, most intelligent and all around most horrible monster of them all.

Yeah, distressing, soul-numbing. It lingers.

There were points in the book that I had to put it down for a few days to actually absorb the absolute horror and existential dread that was on the page.

In my AP English class we were assigned to read a book of our choice and write a paper on something related to the story. I choose this book because of all of the praise it has received, my love for the time period, and I loved the movie version of The Road (never read the book though). I found Blood Meridian to be a very difficult read. The prose is very strange in that he rarely uses quotations and other forms of punctuation, which made it difficult for me to understand which character was speaking at times. The pacing was also super slow and I found myself constantly bored throughout the first 100 pages or so. I never ended up finishing the book and proceeded to write my essay on the Mexican-American War. Should i give it another go? If so, what are some tips you guys could give me to guide my reading? Thanks!

In my AP English class we were assigned to read a book of our choice and write a paper on something related to the story. I choose this book because of all of the praise it has received, my love for the time period, and I loved the movie version of The Road (never read the book though). I found Blood Meridian to be a very difficult read. The prose is very strange in that he rarely uses quotations and other forms of punctuation, which made it difficult for me to understand which character was speaking at times. The pacing was also super slow and I found myself constantly bored throughout the first 100 pages or so. I never ended up finishing the book and proceeded to write my essay on the Mexican-American War. Should i give it another go? If so, what are some tips you guys could give me to guide my reading? Thanks!

I don't know. I choose to read the book for 11th grade English (at the recommendation of an Adult Swim bump) and loved it from the start. The most difficult part for me was the frequent use of Spanish since, well, I don't know much Spanish. I understand why the war he waged on punctuation could be bothersome to others, but personally I adored it. I mean, that is what gave me my favorite run-on sentence:

A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained wedding veil and some in headgear or cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a Spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or sabre done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of Christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools.

HStallion

The Road is written in the same manner and is just as "slow" so beware. I actually thought the movie version was too bright and hopeful compared to the book.

I don't know. I choose to read the book for 11th grade English (at the recommendation of an Adult Swim bump) and loved it from the start. The most difficult part for me was the frequent use of Spanish since, well, I don't know much Spanish. I understand why the war he waged on punctuation could be bothersome to others, but personally I adored it. I mean, that is what gave me my favorite run-on sentence:
I'm currently in 11th grade. Just when I was ready to go grab it and start it over, I realized its been sitting in my locker for the better part of 3 months. Tomorrow I'l grab it and give it another go.

The Road is written in the same manner and is just as "slow" so beware. I actually thought the movie version was too bright and hopeful compared to the book.

The book is actually pretty hopeful, though. Especially in comparison to his other works. It's probably the most optimistic thing he's ever written.

Yes, I know how that sounds.

The book is actually pretty hopeful, though. Especially in comparison to his other works. It's probably the most optimistic thing he's ever written.

for some reason I remember hearing that Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley saying that they got inspiration for The Last Of Us from The Road. TLOU is one of my all-time favorites, so I may give The Road a go as well.

HStallion

The theme of keeping the fire sure is and the love of a father for his son was intense but man the movie just felt... Lighter and brighter and I think the lack of punctuation in the book helped greatly combined with the poetry office writing. It was just so sparse and barren.

I felt like they had a chance in the movie but honestly it felt like humanity was already dead as the world in the book.

I'd also like to hope McCarthy has final say in the matter. I mean, he just has to look at Franco's recent efforts and say, "Yeah, no."

Akahige

So does Scott Rudin not have the righta to this movie anymore? Or was he not actually involved and the media first attached his name due to him having the rights?

I'm honestly interested to know what the fuck happened.

I remember reading some months back that Cormac McCarthy would write a script for the movie for John Hillcoat if he was able to get signed on as director, or something along those lines. If the rights are back to the author then that could possibly happen, I'm guessing anyways.

Saya

I don't like D'Onofrio as The Judge. I don't think he has the gravitas I guess. If the film adaptation ever happens, I want that guy from True Detective season 1.

latest

I think Alejandro González Iñárritu can make it happen, I got Blood Meridian vibes from parts of The Revenant already.

UPDATE: THIS THING IS NOW DEAD

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the project sprang to life, and then immediately died all in the same day, due to the fact Franco doesn't have the fucking rights.

Gotta love that THR was calling it "Russell Crowe's Blood Meridian" in the headline, too.

Anyway, this just cements my belief that Franco is the perfect person to be making the Wiseau movie.

Goddammit, Franco. I decided to look up the status of the project and this is what I find.

Reading the book based on this thread. Sad to see it isn't getting made, but glad it ain't Franco. Love the guy, but a great actor he ain't.

Boney

Banned
We dodged a bullet there. How is a no talent hack like him getting green light into taking such an unmountable project.

Don't answer, it's rethorical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom