• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jan 06 Gamepro reviews. X360 reviews and first DoA4 review inside.

Mr Jared

Mrbob said:
Most of GAF will always hate DoA series. How it has always been.

Oh, I understand that. In order to be a "hardcore fighting fan" it's practically manditory that you hate the Dead or Alive series.

Why? I can't answer that question because most people never have a good reason. It's usually a coin flip between one of two cop out answers.

1) OMG BOOBS
2) ITS SHALLOW OMG

I love me some Dead or Alive.. but I just enjoy fighting games in general. The only fighting game I've taken seriously in the past 5 years is 3rd Strike, so I might as well have fun with everything else.

Sl1p said:
person_ashamed.jpg

The Warriors.

yah, I haven't seen that yet

but thanks

Who the FUCK cares about Gamepro.....

It should've died in 2000 like a pussycat falling off the world's tallest building.

Oh, right, you guys care about how much GamePro sucks. :lol

Giving Guitar Hero a 4.5 in fun factor is laughable.

If anything, it should be a fucking 6.

And Mario Kart DS a 4.5 as well!? Do you guys know what fun IS?

Odysseus

Banned
byproduct said:
I thought DOA just got delayed so they can tweak it - how can it be reviewed in a print magazine already? Did they play an unfinished version and guess at what changes would be made for release before giving it a score?

I believe they are just continuing tradition. Wasn't it Gamepro that reviewed Ninja Gaiden in December 2003, right as it was being announced that the game had been delayed to February (and eventually slipped to the beginning of March)?

3rdman

TheMissingLink said:
Giving Guitar Hero a 4.5 in fun factor is laughable.

If anything, it should be a fucking 6.

And Mario Kart DS a 4.5 as well!? Do you guys know what fun IS?

Um...you do know that Gamepro uses a scale from 1 to 5, right???? Urge to be sarcastic....rising....

I was implying in a tongue-in-cheek manner that Guitar Hero is incredibly fun and is so much fun it should be above a maximum score of 5 in fun factor rather than a 4.5...

Urge to call you Captain Obvious...rising...

Anyway. Still amazed at how Call of Duty 2 gets a 5 in fun-factor and Guitar Hero doesn't. Sort of ridiculous.

Mr Jared

Nintendo X said:
Who the FUCK cares about Gamepro.....

It should've died in 2000 like a pussycat falling off the world's tallest building.

Oh, right, you guys care about how much GamePro sucks. :lol

Way to fall into your own trap there, champ.

P90

Deg said:
DOA4 outscored SC3 on fun factor. What retards. :lol

Button mashers = fun for all but the "elite". DOA>VF in fun in all its pick up and play and mash away goodness. VF 5 has fur shading. DOA 4 has fun shading. :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bishoptl said:
You're all missing the REAL travesty here - 2.5 for Smackdown vs Raw 2006? Blasphemy!

Wow, I didn't even notice that. Kind of crazy considering the GR average is 83.5 (87 reviews) and the game is all kinds of fun. Ah well, there's no accounting for taste.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Kabuki Waq said:
SC3 is not nearly as fun or as polished and SC2 which is why it fails as a sequel.

Not as polished, okay. But not as fun? Why not?

Mr Jared

bishoptl said:
You're all missing the REAL travesty here - 2.5 for Smackdown vs Raw 2006? Blasphemy!

Yeah, that's really weak considering that Smackdown Vs Raw is easily one of (If not the) best Wrestling games this generation. I've hated the Smackdown series ever since it's original Playstation debut and even I had to admit that SvR 2006 was bad-freaking-ass.

DCharlie

Banned
"I personally challenge anyone on Gamepro to a game of Soul Calibur 3.
I know you guys are reading GAF. Any takers? We could film it for the 1up show, even."

... with drinking penalties for the loser of each round.

RiZ III

Or people who don't want to waste their lives trying to "perfect" their character so they can actually start enjoying the damn game..

The two games are so different I don't see why u people make such comments. I've been a big fan of the vf series but it has its own charm. Doa has always been quick and fun.

O and, haters am cry.

Fusebox

Banned
genjiZERO said:
I'm sorry but DOA is Virtua Fighter for retards.

Maybe I would prefer to just sit back with a beer and smash my mate through a window, watch him careen off a fluro sign breaking all the lights on the way down, and then continue our battle on the streets below rather than sit there and count the number of frames in his attack so I know when to interrupt and dial in my counter combo.

Gaming purely for fun?

Zomg not possibles...

genjiZERO

RiZ III said:
Or people who don't want to waste their lives trying to "perfect" their character so they can actually start enjoying the damn game..

The two games are so different I don't see why u people make such comments. I've been a big fan of the vf series but it has its own charm. Doa has always been quick and fun.

O and, haters am cry.

That's why SC is so good. It's button-mash-a-rific for beginners and cerebral enough for the perfectionists. People compare DOA to VF because the play mechanics are so similar; they're both "make your own combos" style of fighter. The difference is that the posibilites are far greater and varied in VF to the point that it makes DOA look silly.

genjiZERO

Fusebox said:
Maybe I would prefer to just sit back with a beer and smash my mate through a window, watch him careen off a fluro sign breaking all the lights on the way down, and then continue our battle on the streets below rather than sit there and count the number of frames in his attack so I know when to interrupt and dial in my counter combo.

Gaming purely for fun?

Zomg not possibles...

gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than animation

maybe with all that beer and crashing through windows your mate's just retarded enough to enjoy DOA :lol

(sorry that was out of line, I know)

Fusebox

Banned
What does that even mean? What am I doing with the buttons and the d-pad then dude? If you dont like it thats fine, but dont be an idiot and try and convince me that I shouldnt enjoy playing it.

genjiZERO

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I compared DOA to VF, by saying that VF was far and away the deeper of the two. I never said DOA wasn't fun. I think it actually is a fun game, just not a smart one

Mr Jared

genjiZERO said:
I'm sorry but DOA is Virtua Fighter for retards.

Than you must be the DOA champion of the world.

What does that even mean? What am I doing with the buttons and the d-pad then dude? If you dont like it thats fine, but dont be an idiot and try and convince me that I shouldnt enjoy playing it.

You're arguing with someone using a DBZ avatar. It's not worth your time. He'll grow out of being a retard some day and that is when competitive Dead or Alive play will die.

genjiZERO

Sl1p said:
Than you must be the DOA champion of the world.

You're arguing with someone using a DBZ avatar. It's not worth your time. He'll grow out of being a retard some day and that is when competitive Dead or Alive play will die.

Dissing on DB? Seriously? It's a reintrepretation of one the classics of Chinese literature. Name another comic so bold.

also please reread:
I never said DOA wasn't fun. I think it actually is a fun game, just not a smart one

and the reason I made the animation comment was because it seemed like he was enjoying watching someone fly out of a window more than sending them that way.

sugaki

I live my life one quarter-mile at a time
Trashing Gamepro... it's as new as Nintendo fanboys, cynical pretentious know-it-alls, and pseudo-eloquent/ironic/pithy sigs.

Oh and Dragon Ball only followed the Chinese folklore for the first > 5% of the manga series, ending around the time Red Ribbon emerged. The rest is all mindlessly "epic" duels that take 3-4 books to finish.

genjiZERO

sugaki said:
Trashing Gamepro... it's as new as Nintendo fanboys, cynical pretentious know-it-alls, and pseudo-eloquent/ironic/pithy sigs.

Oh and Dragon Ball only followed the Chinese folklore for the first > 5% of the manga series, ending around the time Red Ribbon emerged. The rest is all mindlessly "epic" duels that take 3-4 books to finish.

maybe in exact plot details but the main theme of Xi You Ji remained constant thoughtout DB; that even though Goku was supremely strong he was never actually able to defeat any of his opponents, it was only by enlisting his friends that they were able to be stopped.

Top Bottom