• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane Pinckard leaving 1up (& Ziff)

Vexidus

atomsk said:
janedictator.gif

emot-hurr.gif

gbovo

Wario64 said:
Something about bitching on your blogs and making a difference...something like that
Damn, you serious?! I thought it would be about better game design and where the industry was headed an' shit.

keanerie

Ah, melancholy tidings indeed. I'll miss her work, on and off camera. Best of luck to you, Jane.

Now The 1up Show should just be Milky owning Shane in every aspect of life every week. That'd be more than good enough.

I rather liked Jane. She was fairly entertaining.

I think Che and Jane should start a collab show called the MICROSOFT GDC POWER HOUR
+ Ryan, because we know it's going to happen

BUT NOW THAT I GOT THAT OUT OF THE WAY, MORE KAREN!

Matix

Yea, Jane is teh awesome (teh awesome is Jane). I always liked how she seemed so passionate regarding her work, and I'm sure that will carry on in her future.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Jane wasn't just the best female videogame journalist, she was one of the best overall. The collective I.Q. level of gaming journalism just went down a few notches because of her departure.

Chris_C

BlueTsunami said:
The 1up Show died when Che left. He was the heart of the show

for real

Have to agree, the show's still good, but when Che was there I downloaded every week, now that he's gone, it's only every so often.

Sad to hear Jane will be leaving, although I initially found her a bit abrasive she quickly grew on me. I saw her at E3 (even prettier in person) but was too shy to say hi.

I will miss her presence on 1Up.

Also, I will miss the not-often-spoken-of feature of Rez that she introduced to me. Yikes...

So, no more gaming pop songs for 1Up, huh?

EDIT: Also, I really like this image. Jane, farewell.
emot-hurr.gif

Ryun1

f_elz said:
now the show is gonna suck :(
Well, it's been sliding slowly into talking heads in an office and "X is on vacation and I'm in his office, ha ha!" jokes. On the upside, Gamegirl Advance should get some freshness now.

-Rogue5-

I wonder what the "new and unannounced" conference is going to be? E3 replacement (hopefully)? Female Game Developers Conference (more likely)?

MrDaravon

Chris_C said:
Have to agree, the show's still good, but when Che was there I downloaded every week, now that he's gone, it's only every so often.

Same here, I honestly haven't even bothered to download the show at all since Che left. I didn't really like Jane on the show, but I offhand can't recall what work I've seen of her's on the site, so can't really comment much either way. If it's a better position good for her though.

Most people here only care because she's a girl that likes games though -_-

I enjoy jane a lot, I think she is attractive and made each show she was on interesting. Love the theme song. That girl has creative talent. People need to give her credit, she had a lot creative input for that show.

Sallokin

Sucks to see her go, though it's always nice to see people move on in their careers. Bring on more Mark MacD and Sharky!

Zaptruder

Banned
Is she really the Rez Trance Vibrator girl??

wow. Is it alright if I post the link to the article? :p

rez-001-small.jpg

Still, her most famous article to date.

GG-Duo

I'm interested in how Ryan and the crew will try to retool The 1up Show in the future.

The production and content is as sharp as ever, but the dynamics have been less engaging than the early stuff.

You guys have some interesting people with interesting opinions in the office, but I don't think it necessarily translates well onto the screen.

deadairis

I'm sad for the 1up show, but more excited about next years GDC. No Caltrain down to San Jose in the morning, either. Should be a good year all over!

Norse

I'll miss her from the show...always liked her work. Didnt know she was 33 yrs old....good for her on the new job. I bet she will do well there.

That 1up show song is in my head almost everyday at work 1 time or anther. hehe...oh, I will miss that smile she rarely lets out. She actually looks like she is holding it in at times. A smirk is all we ever get to see. heh

Good luck Jane

White Man

keanerie said:
Now The 1up Show should just be Milky owning Shane in every aspect of life every week. That'd be more than good enough.

Please. The less Mielke the better. If you say his name the dude might show up here and act like an ass like he always does.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
White Man said:
Please. The less Mielke the better. If you say his name the dude might show up here and act like an ass like he always does.

Actually, let's hope it happens. That guy never fails to entertain :lol

From what I've heard from my colleagues, Jane's a really nice person to talk to. I saw her at E3 once but never met her personally. I'm not fond of her appearances on the 1up show, but she's definitely very creative and brings a lot to the site. She seems intelligent also, didn't she go to Stanford Law or something? She could probably get a much better career working outside the games industry.

Andonuts said:
thread title needs to be changed to "Jane Pinckard leveling up"

LAWL. Jane was at 60 for a while, but man, she totally got into the alpha test and got higher ranks in her talent tree. Grinding makes a diff!

But in all seriousness, I will miss Jane in the office very much, but she's out to make a difference and improve the gaming industry one step at a time. Even though she'll be leaving us, I am sure we will see her and her legacy around. Whether you like the 1up show or not, the collaboration between her and Ryan made a difference (and may I say, improvement) in the perception and experience in gaming. Yay Jane!

Hero

Wait, let me get this straight, this is the same girl from the Rez Vibrator thing from years ago?

That's awesome. And people wonder why gaming journalism is looked down upon.

Only time can tell what female girls will do with the Wii-mote to pleasure themselves.

Rlan

Though completely off Jane, who's gonna be on the 1up yours podcast this week, what with Luke over in Germany?

This'll draw skip out from the shadows.

Good work on EGM podcast a few days ago BTW

adelante

Rlan said:
Though completely off Jane, who's gonna be on the 1up yours podcast this week, what with Luke over in Germany?

Big head showdown ftw!

ZeMMiK

I really liked her style, she really haves a kind of humor that made it cool.

But he everybody has to move on, I think the rest of the crew is still making good shows.
I'm enjoying myself with it.

LukeSmith

Rlan said:

I was going to Skype in, but considering that we're working when the SF guys are going to bed and still working when they are leaving work, I bailed out.

I believe Mark MacD was on and we had a guess producer -- Skip is on holiday and hopefully on holiday from GAF, as well.

MegaTen

Banned
Brimstone said:
Jane wasn't just the best female videogame journalist, she was one of the best overall. The collective I.Q. level of gaming journalism just went down a few notches because of her departure.
:lol

phil_fish

jane is an awesome awesome woman.

when i first "met her" (online) we had a little chat about e3.
i asked her if she was gonna go to the sony party and she replied something along the lines of: haha, you overestimate my cool. sony never invites me.

fastforward 6 months in the future, we're hanging out at e3 and she tells me: dont move, ill be right back, i have to go get my pass for the big party tonight at sony's booth.

look who's not cool enough, miss "i invented the 1up show".

jane pinckard.
jane ****ing pinckard.
you rock.
rock that GDC, rock it hard.
see you there.

Google

phil_fish said:
jane is an awesome awesome woman.

when i first "met her" (online) we had a little chat about e3.
i asked her if she was gonna go to the sony party and she replied something along the lines of: haha, you overestimate my cool. sony never invites me.

fastforward 6 months in the future, we're hanging out at e3 and she tells me: dont move, ill be right back, i have to go get my pass for the big party tonight at sony's booth.

look who's not cool enough, miss "i invented the 1up show".

jane pinckard.
jane ****ing pinckard.
you rock.
rock that GDC, rock it hard.
see you there.

Sorry, what?

Is the amount of people expressing their love for the 1Up show in this thread only disturbing to me?

What is so great about a bunch of wannabe hipster posers? Their show tries to pass off obvious scripted and contrived conversations and situations as "another wacky day at the office lol"

What a bunch of rebels. I even heard that they drink (how cool). I know this because they make reference to it 300 times a show to drive home the point of how cool they are.

Nobody is "put off" by how elitest they sound when they talk? I feel like they are talking down to the viewer. I guess we should be greatful that they are dropping their profound videogame knowledge on us. Why do they shove their obsession with Japanese culture down our throats? Does that make them "edgy" and "alternative"?

Fight the power guys! Reject the system!

Top Bottom