• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane Pinckard leaving 1up (& Ziff)

Google

FirstInHell said:
Is the amount of people expressing their love for the 1Up show in this thread only disturbing to me?

No, it is a little scary...

Fair play if you enjoy the show, but calling it a "revolution" and "Innovative" is so far away from the truth, it hurts!

snatches

Is the amount of people expressing their love for the 1Up show in this thread only disturbing to me?

What is so great about a bunch of wannabe hipster posers? Their show tries to pass off obvious scripted and contrived conversations and situations as "another wacky day at the office lol"

What a bunch of rebels. I even heard that they drink (how cool). I know this because they make reference to it 300 times a show to drive home the point of how cool they are.

Nobody is "put off" by how elitest they sound when they talk? I feel like they are talking down to the viewer. I guess we should be greatful that they are dropping their profound videogame knowledge on us. Why do they shove their obsession with Japanese culture down our throats? Does that make them "edgy" and "alternative"?

Fight the power guys! Reject the system!

why bother posting?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I always found 1up yours FAR more interesting than the 1up show. Something about impromptu talk radio is far more entertaining than an orchestrated show. Still nice to see Jane moving up in the world. Go promotions!

FirstInHell said:

What is so great about a bunch of wannabe hipster posers? Their show tries to pass off obvious scripted and contrived conversations and situations as "another wacky day at the office lol"

What a bunch of rebels. I even heard that they drink (how cool). I know this because they make reference to it 300 times a show to drive home the point of how cool they are.

Nobody is "put off" by how elitest they sound when they talk? I feel like they are talking down to the viewer. I guess we should be greatful that they are dropping their profound videogame knowledge on us. Why do they shove their obsession with Japanese culture down our throats? Does that make them "edgy" and "alternative"?

What? I don't think anyone actually believes life at their office is like that. Let me guess, you thought it was hidden camera footage before someone pointed out to you that they're scripted.

snatches

Google said:
Because his points valid?

Does it take a ****ing genius to assume that fans of the ****ing show are going to be the ones posting in this ****ing thread?

Is a three page thread worth of fans an obscene amount that offends his "high class sensibilities"

His post reeks of a critique on an emo clique in a ****ing high school cafeteria.

Who gives a shit what we like or dislike?

Google

Finncognito said:
What? I don't think anyone actually believes life at their office is like that. Let me guess, you thought it was hidden camera footage before someone pointed out to you that they're scripted.

Then why bother with it?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
the people who don't think jane's attractive really confuse me. my lord, she's cute. hot, even!

Google

snatches said:
Who gives a shit what we like or dislike?

The forum is based upon these very foundations...

What exactly is your point? People have posted that they enjoyed the show, people have posted that they didnt like the show!

snatches

Google said:
The forum is based upon these very foundations...

What exactly is your point? People have posted that they enjoyed the show, people have posted that they didnt like the show!

Because this isn't a "discuss the 1upshow thread". It's a Jane is a games journalist who is moving to a new job within the industry thread.

What are you missing here?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The 1up show is great and brings good footage. The only stupid thing about it was that post that guy made when Johnny fraud pants tried to rape jane and then he said that he would like, murder everyone by doing karate on windpipes with "god like speed" or some shit.

I frowned at that post because the guy that made it is probably just a semi tubby/really tubby gamer like the rest of us and the only thing he is capable of doing at light speed is finishing a pizza, like the rest of us. I'm not sure, but I'm PRETTY SURE, nobody had their windpipe smashed to pieces by a flying elbow at that show. THEY REALLY GOT OWNED LATER ON THE FORUM THOUGH.

/weak.

All that said, Didn't Jane create the show and do the song? Wonder if the quality will keep up.

Google said:
Then why bother with it?
Reality isn't always awesome.

phil_fish

Google said:
The fact that you just gave yourself a mental blowjob over meeting Jane Pinkard...

i met, hang, filmed and co-hosted an episode, and partied with her.
and i am quite happy about that.

you wouldnt?

Google

snatches said:
yeah because all video based programs need to keep it real dawg::huge****inrolleyes::

What are you talking about?

The show was obviously trying to cater for a 'realistic' approach, which catered to certain fans' point of view...

I imagine there are people on the internet, who enjoy watching journalists talk about 'real life events' regarding videogames!

I find it a little contrived, and at some points, embarassing!

A videogame show needs to be entertaining above all, and I honestly dont find scripted 'chats' all that enjoyable...

Which is why, 1UP yours is infinately better...yes, they script topics, but at least they have some avenue for discussion!

Google

phil_fish said:
i met, hang, filmed and co-hosted an episode, and partied with her.
and i am quite happy about that.

you wouldnt?

Buddy, are you the same guy who used to work for Ubisoft?

Regardless, Its not the fact that you had a good time with someone, its the fact you wrote a ****ing ode about it!

snatches

Google said:
What are you talking about?

The show was obviously trying to cater for a 'realistic' approach, which catered to certain fans' point of view...

I imagine there are people on the internet, who enjoy watching journalists talk about 'real life events' regarding videogames!

I find it a little contrived, and at some points, embarassing!

A videogame show needs to be entertaining above all, and I honestly dont find scripted 'chats' all that enjoyable...

Which is why, 1UP yours is infinately better...yes, they script topics, but at least they have some avenue for discussion!

Forget it. The problem I see is your basically trolling here and changing the topic of discussion. If I dropped into a thread about the head of Bungie leaving and everyone was talking about that person and the great work they had done and I dropped in and said

"Halo, hah! What a contrived piece of shit"

I would be banned as a troll. It's your timing. It's just bad. And lacks class. End of story.

*leaves thread to never return*

snatches

TheTrin said:
I always found 1up yours FAR more interesting than the 1up show. Something about impromptu talk radio is far more entertaining than an orchestrated show. Still nice to see Jane moving up in the world. Go promotions!

^^^^^

Before I go Google, this is an example of a classy way to say what you've been saying without coming across as a troll.

Google

snatches said:
Forget it. The problem I see is your basically trolling here and changing the topic of discussion. If I dropped into a thread about the head of Bungie leaving and everyone was talking about that person and the great work they had done and I dropped in and said

"Halo, hah! What a contrived piece of shit"

I would be banned as a troll. It's your timing. It's just bad. And lacks class. End of story.

*leaves thread to never return*

My first post here was to wish Jane well on pastures new...

Like many discussions, there are different threads running through, and obviously, the content of the show was questioned, like it should be...

A thread massaging Jane's shoulders would be ****ing boring, so having a chat, with other like minded individuals about the shortfalls or qualities of a particualr show should be encouraged, not put down simply because someone didnt say,

"hahahahahha, Jane is gorgeous, she's ****ing Japanese, and I love teh Japanese..."

Doesnt meant that their point is invalid!

kenta

Has no PEINS
FirstInHell said:

Your obsession with hating 1UP far surpasses anyone here's obsession with loving 1UP

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
phil_fish said:
jane is an awesome awesome woman.

when i first "met her" (online) we had a little chat about e3.
i asked her if she was gonna go to the sony party and she replied something along the lines of: haha, you overestimate my cool. sony never invites me.

fastforward 6 months in the future, we're hanging out at e3 and she tells me: dont move, ill be right back, i have to go get my pass for the big party tonight at sony's booth.

look who's not cool enough, miss "i invented the 1up show".

jane pinckard.
jane ****ing pinckard.
you rock.
rock that GDC, rock it hard.
see you there.

Wow :lol

And you were her partner during the E3 episode?
Hands down the worst 1up show episode made
. No wonder you looked so uncomfortable.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
catfish said:
The 1up show is great and brings good footage. The only stupid thing about it was that post that guy made when Johnny fraud pants tried to rape jane and then he said that he would like, murder everyone by doing karate on windpipes with "god like speed" or some shit.

I frowned at that post because the guy that made it is probably just a semi tubby/really tubby gamer like the rest of us and the only thing he is capable of doing at light speed is finishing a pizza, like the rest of us. I'm not sure, but I'm PRETTY SURE, nobody had their windpipe smashed to pieces by a flying elbow at that show. THEY REALLY GOT OWNED LATER ON THE FORUM THOUGH.

I think you're talking about James "Milkman" Mielke, right?

I guess you haven't met/seen him so I can't blame you for the fat pizza eating gamer stereotype, but let me assure you that if anybody can smash a windpipe in the games industry, it is James Mielke.

Not saying it's cool to punch folks in the neck or nuthin'....

Haklong

TheTrin said:

Oh man, your avatar has me rolling. God damn that shit is so funny to me.

Can't stop, too funny...

phil_fish

SnowWolf said:
Wow :lol

And you were her partner during the E3 episode?
Hands down the worst 1up show episode made
. No wonder you looked so uncomfortable.

well...i wouldnt go as far as worst but...
hell...i was just standing there when i realise that mickey got the camera pointed at us and jane just decides were gonna film an episode right here and then. i wasnt even warned at all! and i had met her in person for the first time about 5 minutes prior to that.

Google

chespace said:
but let me assure you that if anybody can smash a windpipe in the games industry, it is James Mielke.

Erm...

P1010034-2.jpg

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I certainly didn't say Milky is the only one.

For instance, Jason Hall over at Monolith could probably maim 95% of the games industry in the octagon cage.

element

chespace said:
For instance, Jason Hall over at Monolith could probably maim 95% of the games industry in the octagon cage.
Everytime I see Jason he gets bigger and bigger. He is a cool guy though.

chespace said:
I certainly didn't say Milky is the only one.

Jason's at Warner Brothers now. And I would more than 95%.

kenta said:
Your obsession with hating 1UP far surpasses anyone here's obsession with loving 1UP

I wouldn't call it an obsession. It is my reaction to people calling it "innovative" and "revoultuionary".

snatches said:
Because this isn't a "discuss the 1upshow thread". It's a Jane is a games journalist who is moving to a new job within the industry thread.

What are you missing here?

How shocking. Someone posts their opinion about 1up in a thread about a 1up cast member.

Why is everyone rushing to that mediocre looking chick's defense anyway? Face it, you are not going to be her knight in shining armor and she will not date you.

Zenith

Banned
I'd like to invite her to the 1UP show, the 1UP show in my pants.

amirite?

The only stupid thing about it was that post that guy made when Johnny fraud pants tried to rape jane and then he said that he would like, murder everyone by doing karate on windpipes with "god like speed" or some shit.

are you kidding, that was the highlight of the whole of E3. and it wasn't even on the show, just the GAF boards. speaking of which, it's Friday, where's the podcast/show? gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
But isn't Jane kind of new? By new I mean, one or two years? She's leaving after 1 or 2 years?!!?!?!?!? WTF!

We'll (or should I say "I'll" because there are a lot of ____ here) miss you........

snatches

FirstInHell said:
Why is everyone rushing to that mediocre looking chick's defense anyway? Face it, you are not going to be her knight in shining armor and she will not date you.

I have a wife, two kids, and a busy schedule. Why don't you go upstairs and get your mommy to make you a grilled cheese sandwich and give us a break.

Zenith

Banned
snatches said:
I have a wife, two kids, and a busy schedule. Why don't you go upstairs and get your mommy to make you a grilled cheese sandwich and give us a break.

Sounds like you need a mistress, or a sports car.

Christ, here we are talking about someone moving on to something bigger and better, not how she looks. Concentrate on that, ok?

Never met the gal, but I know a lot about GDC and the "game room" the conference staff has. Played many games of Madden back in the day with the now Sales Manager of the games group. Good people, hard partying bunch... Seems like they are lucky to have someone who is dedicated to improving the game development side, and perhaps she's lucky to take a break from the spotlight and make a difference.

Good luck!

border

Can somebody explain how the show is "elitist"?

Google said:
Have you even watched the show? They have sketches about the office being infested with zombies, a World of Warcraft intervention, and a Rocky-style VF5 training montage. How is that "realistic"?

Top Bottom