• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane Pinckard leaving 1up (& Ziff)

snatches said:
I have a wife, two kids, and a busy schedule. Why don't you go upstairs and get your mommy to make you a grilled cheese sandwich and give us a break.

Because on an internet message board, everyone who does not agree with you lives with their mom in a basement and does not have sex or talk to girls. :rolleyes:

border said:
Can somebody explain how the show is "elitist"?

Have you even watched the show? They have sketches about the office being infested with zombies, a World of Warcraft intervention, and a Rocky-style VF5 training montage. How is that "realistic"?

All of these skits are passed of as self deprecating humor, but it is all a guise for them to circle jerk themselves about how cool they are with their trendy clothes and anime posters and figures strewn about.

That "Rocky" VF5 skit was the most obnoxious, unfunny thing I have ever seen.

tetsuoxb

chespace said:
I certainly didn't say Milky is the only one.

For instance, Jason Hall over at Monolith could probably maim 95% of the games industry in the octagon cage.

And his good buddy Bob Sapp could wipe up the other 5%... Unless you kick him in the ear.

ManaByte

Gold Member
chespace said:
I think you're talking about James "Milkman" Mielke, right?

I guess you haven't met/seen him so I can't blame you for the fat pizza eating gamer stereotype, but let me assure you that if anybody can smash a windpipe in the games industry, it is James Mielke.

Not saying it's cool to punch folks in the neck or nuthin'....

Not only that, he could beat most of South Korea at Starcraft with one hand while the other is crushing your windpipe.

skip

FirstInHell said:
Because on an internet message board, everyone who does not agree with you lives with their mom in a basement and does not have sex or talk to girls. :rolleyes:

All of these skits are passed of as self deprecating humor, but it is all a guise for them to circle jerk themselves about how cool they are with their trendy clothes and anime posters and figures strewn about.

it's like those kids these days...and their fancy shoes.

border

FirstInHell said:
I don't even like the skits, but hating them because of anime posters (which I never even noticed) and decent clothes is retarded. Hate them because they aren't funny or well-acted or something....

keanerie

Kittonwy said:
With Jane gone, does that mean Chobot wins by default?

:lol

Chobot wasn't even in the running to begin with.

FirstInHell said:

Yeesh, sounds like someone wasn't part of the in crowd in high school. Now, will someone please pass me my black framed glasses so that I can sit in front of my anime posters and play Katamari Damacy while I listen to Tortoise and talk to my other hip friends about Gilles Deleuze?

ElyrionX

FirstInHell said:

So people with anime posters and figures are "cool" now?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
keanerie said:

Chobot wasn't even in the running to begin with.

Yeesh, sounds like someone wasn't part of the in crowd in high school. Now, will someone please pass me my black framed glasses so that I can sit in front of my anime posters and play Katamari Damacy while I listen to Tortoise and talk to my other hip friends about Gilles Deleuze?

Tortoise is so 1997.

Try Bright Black.

jluedtke

Kittonwy said:
With Jane gone, does that mean Chobot wins by default?

:lol :lol

Putting a video game accessory in your crotch or licking a handheld = instant career!

(Now where's that Atari joystick...)

Wow, these guys are so laid back and cool. I wish I was in on their pretentious emo club!!

lolgay.jpg

keanerie said:

You are missing the point. These were the guys who got their asses kicked in High school. This caused them to develope their elitiest attitude and "counter-culture" mentality as a defense mechanism.

border

Those guys with their hoodies and receding hairlines and half-mullets and anime posters -- HOW COOL ARE THEY? (Note that pic isn't even from 1UP Show)

The Sharkey guy is probably the worst in terms of preening for the camera (Sunglasses-At-Night Luke Smith was also a show low point), but most of the cast are just dorks. Is there a case to be made that any of the show's actual content is elitist, or is just more "action figures and hip clothes" whining?

Peru

Wow, these guys are so laid back and cool. I wish I was in on their pretentious emo club!!
hahah, this 'biting sarcasm' sounds almost too good to be true. But it probably is. Get a grip.

Peru said:
hahah, this 'biting sarcasm' sounds almost too good to be true. But it probably is. Get a grip.

I bet he even has a chain connected to his wallet! Shit, I'm off to Hot topic. I'll be right back.

Tain

I bet he even has a chain connected to his wallet! Shit, I'm off to Hot topic. I'll be right back.

These posts are probably pretty embarrassing for anybody that actually dislikes the 1up show.

lol @ the "emo" pull

FirstInHell said:
You are missing the point. These were the guys who got their asses kicked in High school. This caused them to develope their elitiest attitude and "counter-culture" mentality as a defense mechanism.

Aren't you the cool football jock back in highschool that is now trying to get his primetime back as he doesn't have anything else to do?

I think you are.

Kimi

chespace said:
I think you're talking about James "Milkman" Mielke, right?

I guess you haven't met/seen him so I can't blame you for the fat pizza eating gamer stereotype, but let me assure you that if anybody can smash a windpipe in the games industry, it is James Mielke.

Not saying it's cool to punch folks in the neck or nuthin'....

Good luck with the new job Jane, see you hopefully at GDC! :)

One time, Milky wrassled exxy down to the sand and poor exxy was shaking sand out of his fro for weeks.

I despise 1up and the cookie cutter hipster staffers that clog up the site. Including Jane but she gets some respect for me for moving onwards and definitely upwards.

I don't think she's particularly attractive (or ugly either) but its the simple Economic rule of scarcity: their value rises as the supply is limited. Female game website staffers automatically get around 10,000 fans of drooling, sexless men but when they're not dog-ugly, they get around 100,000 fans.

Jane falls into the latter. Her contributions are good but her drunken ramble proves my point: she is so valued (since she has a vagina) that she can act like a total asshead and get away with it scot free.

Still, with Jane leaving and a lot of the females in gaming journalism moving on, we have to look and realize what is going on. Most women are moving into other areas and understandably so. I empathize with a lot of the female writers. I imagine with their fanbase, they get a lot of opportunities to move up that men probably won't get (unless there's no women there). So they take those opportunities and I applaud them.

I will say I have nothing against the game journalists and writers. Their pretentious egotism is also understandable as their word and their score can determine thousands of dollars of sales. It most likely will give you a bigger head. Especially if they were counter culture/hipsterish. Doesn't mean I have to care for them and their inane ramblings and Tim Rogers but you got to take the bad with the good.

Jcgamer60

The Experiment said:
I don't think she's particularly attractive (or ugly either) but its the simple Economic rule of scarcity: their value rises as the supply is limited. Female game website staffers automatically get around 10,000 fans of drooling, sexless men but when they're not dog-ugly, they get around 100,000 fans.

*claps*

LukeSmith

FirstInHell said:

lolgay.jpg

You should hear Jeremy Parish sing Dashboard Confessional.
****ing perfect.

God, you're an inbred.

Peru

The Experiment said:
I despise 1up and the cookie cutter hipster staffers that clog up the site. Including Jane but she gets some respect for me for moving onwards and definitely upwards.

Jane falls into the latter. Her contributions are good but her drunken ramble proves my point: she is so valued (since she has a vagina) that she can act like a total asshead and get away with it scot free.

Still, with Jane leaving and a lot of the females in gaming journalism moving on, we have to look and realize what is going on. Most women are moving into other areas and understandably so. I empathize with a lot of the female writers. I imagine with their fanbase, they get a lot of opportunities to move up that men probably won't get (unless there's no women there). So they take those opportunities and I applaud them.

I will say I have nothing against the game journalists and writers. Their pretentious egotism is also understandable as their word and their score can determine thousands of dollars of sales. It most likely will give you a bigger head. Especially if they were counter culture/hipsterish. Doesn't mean I have to care for them and their inane ramblings and Tim Rogers but you got to take the bad with the good.

Sounds like your fantasy impressions of the great game journalism career creates faux images of reality, dude. I don't get how they're pretentious narcissists by hanging around talking about games on the show, if that's where you get it from.. or writing articles (good or bad, not the subject at hand) and features on the site. The picture you paint doesn't fit with what I've seen from this supposed cookie cutter hipster staff. Try chilling down and looking at the frailty of your arguments.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Kimi said:
Good luck with the new job Jane, see you hopefully at GDC! :)

One time, Milky wrassled exxy down to the sand and poor exxy was shaking sand out of his fro for weeks.

eek! kimi! fix your avatar!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I think sommmmmmmebody is reading into the actions of 1up editors a little too much.

Is it that hard to believe people are sincere about video games? Is it hard to believe people act the way they do because they do, and not because of alterier motives? The people who hate on 1up I'll never understand. They are doing more to push smart gaming topics than any other major website, and if you aren't down with that idea then you gotta hate games or something. If you hate their personalities by way of the clothes they wear then it's obvious who has the problem.

If you wanna run your 10 cent psychoanalysis on someone, do it on the guy that spends his time trying to assert his superior childhood experience while sporting an animated avatar of an old woman with a giant cyst.

DCharlie

Banned
all people who like video games were bullied at school, were crap at sports, and probably wore anoraks.

can we put this shit to bed , like, now?

Peru said:
Sounds like your fantasy impressions of the great game journalism career creates faux images of reality, dude. I don't get how they're pretentious narcissists by hanging around talking about games on the show, if that's where you get it from.. or writing articles (good or bad, not the subject at hand) and features on the site. The picture you paint doesn't fit with what I've seen from this supposed cookie cutter hipster staff. Try chilling down and looking at the frailty of your arguments.

Oh, I'm pretty chill. This stuff is all entertainment to me.

As for the pretentious narcissists, two words. Tim Rogers.

I know he doesn't work on 1up (I barely visit the site so I'm not sure) but my stand remains. Lets not forget the "Who the **** is Chris Buffa?" argument put forth. Buffa is a dunce but the tirade launched against him solidifies their narcissist stand. "If you're not a 1up staffer, then don't even bother." was basically the argument there. Pretentiousness? Check. Narcissism? Check. Further downfall of gaming journalism? Definitely check.

border

1Up is pretentious because of Tim Rogers.

CNN is pompous because of Bill O'Reilly.

Halo is awesome because of Hideo Kojima.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Lol, Hipster and Elitism was used way to much in this thread. Their getting as old and tired as Emo'ism. Who gives a **** if 1up has these qualities. Its just one episode a week. Now if you had to deal with these people everyday (say on a message board), then I would agree whole heartedly.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say that I hate "gamer chic". That is something entirely different than "gamer chick." I am ambivalent towards "gamer chick."

If you think that you belong on TV and that you deserve an audience of size n, you probably have a large ego. Blogging's kind of the same way.

DCharlie

Banned
anything that involves critical commentary on something as subjective as gaming is going to rile up trouble with someone, but why can't you just be happy that the 1up show is out there and gives some entertainment? At least to some people?

Re: the Jane thing - congratulations to Jane who has moved on to what one assumes is a forward move in her career. What really is there more to say on the subject? Love or hate her she contributed her time and career to gaming and entertaining others in the gaming space. Thank you Jane.

re: Is Jane hot? what the feck does that have to do with this?
I notice we had little discussion about how hot Che was when he moved on in his career.

Seriously, some of you are coming off sounding like 14 year old pant wetting milksops, i'm not sure it's intentional, but god damn - it's simple, don't like 1up? Don't watch/listen/read it! Problem solved!

Piper Az

DCharlie said:
anything that involves critical commentary on something as subjective as gaming is going to rile up trouble with someone, but why can't you just be happy that the 1up show is out there and gives some entertainment? At least to some people?

Re: the Jane thing - congratulations to Jane who has moved on to what one assumes is a forward move in her career. What really is there more to say on the subject? Love or hate her she contributed her time and career to gaming and entertaining others in the gaming space. Thank you Jane.

re: Is Jane hot? what the feck does that have to do with this?
I notice we had little discussion about how hot Che was when he moved on in his career.

Seriously, some of you are coming off sounding like 14 year old pant wetting milksops, i'm not sure it's intentional, but god damn - it's simple, don't like 1up? Don't watch/listen/read it! Problem solved!

some of them probably are 14 yr olds. regardless, people bitch about almost anything these days.

best of luck, Jane. You were insightful & delightful at 1up.

Animal

Banned
I only read the first page of the thread.
Good luck jane, thx for the 1up show.

The Milky Show in 2007. Make it happen.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Kimi said:
No way I <3 it! Or is something truly wrong with it?

Please for gods sakes read the ****ing avatar thread thats posted in BOTH the gaming and OT forums. I mean, seriously, i put it in all caps for a reason.

sp0rsk said:
If you wanna run your 10 cent psychoanalysis on someone, do it on the guy that spends his time trying to assert his superior childhood experience while sporting an animated avatar of an old woman with a giant cyst.

:lol :lol You have truly made my day.

Kimi

sp0rsk said:
Please for gods sakes read the ****ing avatar thread thats posted in BOTH the gaming and OT forums. I mean, seriously, i put it in all caps for a reason.

Whoops, sorry. :( Did they change recently because I put up the Rabbid avatar from right here this very place (someone here made it) about a month ago...

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Google said:
Why, because certain members dont enjoy the same things as you?

Behave...

No, because personally, I find it rude when people call her, or anyone for that matter, an "annoying _ _ _ _ _"

Or "horray and good ridance"

That's just disrespectful. She hasn't done anything wrong or personally come your house to stab in the face, she's just not "nice" to listen to for you (or whoever).

Therefore, you can say something like, "I didn't think she was a good addition to the show"

or "Not to be offensive, but her departure will hopefully make the show a little bit more enjoyable. I didn't like how she _ _ _ _ _ _......"

Yeah, but end result, I don't care that much what people think about her. She's not my friend or a part of my family so...

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
sp0rsk said:
I think sommmmmmmebody is reading into the actions of 1up editors a little too much.

Is it that hard to believe people are sincere about video games? Is it hard to believe people act the way they do because they do, and not because of alterier motives? The people who hate on 1up I'll never understand. They are doing more to push smart gaming topics than any other major website, and if you aren't down with that idea then you gotta hate games or something. If you hate their personalities by way of the clothes they wear then it's obvious who has the problem.

QFT. It's kinda bizarre really. People say the most crude, embarassing, sexist shit on GAF about Jane that they would never say to Jane's face, and yet, here we are. And with the pretentious hipster thing -- c'mon, seriously... sounds like sour grapes and personal insecurities. Judging people on how they look? You're no better than all those sportos and prom queens that bullied you around in high school.

Anyway, I hung out with Jane this weekend and told her about this thread. She knew, even before I told her, to stay the fcuk away from this thread. Typical distorted pubescence.

Top Bottom