• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January 2009 NPD Article (Gamasutra)

Arde5643

Link said:
Good to see you pulling numbers out of your ass.
Seriously, at this point I really believe Rhindle is posting here just to fish a tag.

They couldn't be this ignorant, right?

EDIT: Crappy top of the page. :/

Rhindle said:
The point is that if it's relative performance on the platform is an indication of how other franchises will sell, then most franchises that don't have COD's mega sales status, will NOT make money.
Games without COD's mega sales status don't have mega budgets, either, which means that a Wii port would be even cheaper. DUR MATH

EA is entirely justified in not giving you a Wii.
Fuck, really? Here I was waiting for Peter Moore to show up at my doorstep with a Wii.

Rhindle said:
Last post on this topic, I'm getting tired of repeating myself.

As I said above, Activision is undoubtedly going to turn a profit on 500K+ sales of COD. The point is that if its relative performance on the platform is an indication of how other franchises will sell, then most franchises that don't have COD's mega sales status, will NOT make money.

You mentioned Battlefield: Bad Company. Fine, that sold what - 25% of COD4's level? Less probably. EA would NOT make money on 125K-150K of Wii sales, even after you throw in overseas sales. Hence, you won't get a Wii port, and EA is entirely justified in not giving you a Wii.
It shouldn't matter if it doesn't do as well proportionately. The sheer weight of the Wii userbase and the rate of it's growth alone should ensure that in the long run, that 125k can get 300k within 18 months.

Then there is also the question of building the userbase on the platform that COD is undoubtedly cementing on the Wii, the same way that COD3 probably helped WOW Wii sales but was undercut by the absence of MW.

SuperBonk

Also, could you show me where I advocated the idea that Activision should not port games to Wii. Please do not confuse me with some other posters in this thread. The only agenda I have is the one found in my posts. Which nobody seems able to address.

Arde5643

SuperBonk said:
Also, could you show me where I advocated the idea that Activision should not port games to Wii. Please do not confuse me with some other posters in this thread. The only agenda I have is the one found in my posts. Which nobody seems able to address.
I think your post unfortunately got cemented together with Rhindle's nonsense and that's why you didn't get a hospitable reply. :lol

As for your agenda: is it regarding why Activision should port CoD5 to the Wii? It's simply because of:
1) From the ActiBlizz software titles, it's one of the titles that don't suffer from a down-port besides graphics
2) It's shown to sell even with a gimped port and a very late commercial entry into the release date (I think the first Wii ad was released after the game was more than a month old)
3) The Wiimote serves as a better FPS control than anything currently on the consoles, save for a USB KB+M (which stupidly, doesn't work with all FPS games)

I can see your point if it's a game that requires more than graphical power like Fallout, Dead Rising or Morrowind series, but it's not the case with CoD5.

SuperBonk

Arde5643 said:
I think your post unfortunately got cemented together with Rhindle's nonsense and that's why you didn't get a hospitable reply. :lol

As for your agenda: is it regarding why Activision should port CoD5 to the Wii? It's simply because of:
1) From the ActiBlizz software titles, it's one of the titles that don't suffer from a down-port besides graphics
2) It's shown to sell even with a gimped port and a very late commercial entry into the release date (I think the first Wii ad was released after the game was more than a month old)
3) The Wiimote serves as a better FPS control than anything currently on the consoles, save for a USB KB+M (which stupidly, doesn't work with all FPS games)

I can see your point if it's a game that requires more than graphical power like Fallout, Dead Rising or Morrowind series, but it's not the case with CoD5.
Thanks for the response. To clarify, my argument was not that Activision shouldn't port games to Wii but that singling out COD5 for the purpose of justifying a port of the COD series to the Wii is rather silly. But those are all good points. Aside from the last one since I still prefer dual analog. Even more than keyboard and mouse! Yeah I'm one crazy motherfucker.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
This thread sucks! Thanks buttheads!

Back on topic:
jmv, on page 5 it is said that the Top 10 accounted for only 14% of all unit sales. Am I misreading something? That would make for about 19 million in total unit sales for the month. That seems insanely high for January.

Arde5643 said:
So are we starting to discount any brand games now? Even if they're from third parties?

Seriously, I'm starting to lose count on how many rules have been established to discount software sales on Nintendo platforms. :lol

They never seem to realize that what they are demanding is that games that have essentially nothing going for them become mega-hits, and consistently.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Rhindle said:
You mentioned Battlefield: Bad Company. Fine, that sold what - 25% of COD4's level? Less probably. EA would NOT make money on 125K-150K of Wii sales, even after you throw in overseas sales. Hence, you won't get a Wii port, and EA is entirely justified in not developing a Wii port.
Dead Space.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The Gamecube was profitable, so yes. Depending on your definition of "survive."

It did start to miss out on a some multiplatform games that hit PS2 and Xbox, though.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Htown said:
The Gamecube was profitable, so yes. Depending on your definition of "survive."

It did start to miss out on a some multiplatform games that hit PS2 and Xbox, though.
For the most part, I don't think the PS3 is going to miss out on too many games. Sony should be thanking the gods that 360 software sells so much and is rather costly to make, though.

Cubey went into a coma in 2005 and never came out of it. It was pronounced dead by fall 06.

Should be interesting to see where the PS3 is at in Fall '10 - '11. I feel it's generally in a much better position support-wise than the Cube was at this point in its life, but these things tend to collapse quickly, so I guess we'll see.

Pureauthor said:
That comparison is utterly useless and you're smart enough to know why.
Sorry I meant to ask what sort of sales was the GC getting at this point in its life cycle? Was it only having minimal impact on the charts?

Yazus

Link said:
For the most part, I don't think the PS3 is going to miss out on too many games. Sony should be thanking the gods that 360 software sells so much and is rather costly to make, though.

I agree. By now the we can say that the overall situation really suck for Sony, if compared to what the PS2 have been for the gaming industry. We can only hope for a big recover

I highly doubt software support for the PS3 will collapse as quickly as the Cube's.

Sony is indeed lucky in that regard and has the PS2 to thank for it.

A better comparison would be with the N64.

titiklabingapat said:
I highly doubt software support for the PS3 will collapse as quickly as the Cube's.

Sony is indeed lucky in that regard and has the PS2 to thank for it.

Sony is lucky the 360 is doing well.

Rhindle. :lol

jvm

Gamasutra.
JJConrad said:
jmv, on page 5 it is said that the Top 10 accounted for only 14% of all unit sales. Am I misreading something? That would make for about 19 million in total unit sales for the month. That seems insanely high for January.
You've picked up on a good point, and one that I didn't want to stress too firmly. Here's why.

I had two means by which I could compute total software sales. The first is the one you give above, and yes, it's around 19 million. I decided to stick with them because it's almost a direct quote from the source.

The other way to get the total software came up with 17.3 million (going from memory), which is still quite healthy, no? Since it was a less-direct computation, I opted to go with the direct quote.

It's a point I need to clarify with NPD, I believe.

Good question. Anything else?

dionysus

Yaldog
From discussion on the first page, wasn't the wii version of CoD5 heavily advertised? I remember a blockbuster multiplatform game getting a lot of advertising for the Wii version during the holiday season, and I thought it was CoD5.

botticus

dionysus said:
From discussion on the first page, wasn't the wii version of CoD5 heavily advertised? I remember a blockbuster multiplatform game getting a lot of advertising for the Wii version during the holiday season, and I thought it was CoD5.
In December, yes.

[Nintex]

dionysus said:
After it launched they changed the COD5 commercial. The PC/360 footage was turned into Wii footage, the game actually looked fun and decent on the system so it was quite a succesfull campaign. It was also a stab at EA who said that Wii graphics weren't good enough for TV broadcasting.

dionysus said:

From my understanding, the Wii version got advertised starting in December.

As someone who owns the Wii version of CoD 5, I'd like to assess some things.

First, when it debuted, it was hard as hell to find. I went to five stores to find it because the first 3 insisted there WAS no Wii version of CoD: WaW. The fourth guy at Future Shop said their copies released two weeks after the HD versions (I was able to score one on launch day at EB however.) Also, for the first month or so, there was zero advertising indicating there was a Wii version. Anecdotally; WAY undershipped, WAY under-advertised.

Second, yeah, CoD: WaW is gimped in comparison with the HD versions (No Vehicles, 8 player max, No zombie Mode)but to say it is a bad game is really mistreating it. It is hands down the best FPS on Wii right now, the online is flawless, and what is there is just a downscaled version of the HD game. I would argue that it's worth the 50 bucks in a heartbeat.

Looking at the sales; what's happening with CoD: WaW is EXACTLY what happened with Guitar Hero: the game debuted haphazardly on Wii just to cover the spread, sales explode after release when people discover the product is competent, then the developer scrambles to address a market that was under their ass the whole time. Considering this I highly doubt Link's hypothesis that MW2 or whatever the next CoD is WON'T make it to Wii; Activision of all companies isn't a fan of leaving easy money on the table.

donny2112

Alcibiades said:
in the end the most important thing is how WoW sold in spite of the what Activision did or didn't do.

That's true. World of Warcraft is Acitvision-Blizzard's most important game, after all.

@SuperBonk

CoD:WaW is singled out because it keeps getting brought up by some of those on the side that HD games should not be ported to the Wii as evidence that porting to the Wii isn't a good idea. It's crazy as WaW is an indication that porting to the Wii is a great idea (as shown in some of the previous posts in this thread). That game's performance was brought up in the Nov NPD thread, the Dec NPD thread, the Dec Gamasutra article, and again in this Jan Gamasutra article.

@JJConrad

Assume ~4.1 million in software for the 360 (tie ratio given this month vs. assumed constant tie ratio since September) and 1.5 million for PS3 (couldn't have been much of an increase over Jan-08 or Sony would've put it out in a press release), which leaves ~13.4 million for the PS2, Wii, NDS, PSP, and GBA. I could see the PS2, Wii, and NDS easily taking a huge bulk of that total through sheer volume of software available. If it's a high estimate on total software for January, it probably isn't too high (as shown by jvm's 17.3 alternate estimate).

Segata Sanshiro said:
Cubey went into a coma in 2005 and never came out of it. It was pronounced dead by fall 06.

Bite your tongue! Fire Emblem: PoR and DK:Jungle Beat came out in 2005. :lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
DeaconKnowledge said:
Considering this I highly doubt Link's hypothesis that MW2 or whatever the next CoD is WON'T make it to Wii; Activision of all companies isn't a fan of leaving easy money on the table.
Could nobody tell I was being facetious?

pickwick

Andrex said:
Really? Last I heard that game was bombing. Pretty good news.

in fact, as usual, most of the wii games are bombing on first week. BUT, most of wii games have looong looong legs. Specially when comes the end of the year.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:
Bite your tongue! Fire Emblem: PoR and DK:Jungle Beat came out in 2005. :lol

And BKO and Twilight Princess came out in 06. Didnt make it any less dead =P

andthebeatgoeson

titiklabingapat said:

Sony is indeed lucky in that regard and has the 360 to thank for it.

Fixed. Sony should send a gift basket that MS doesn't have the balls to lead in this industry and take on Nintendo. It's like 2 failures keeping each other from drowning.

BTW, I hope Activision gets this point: it makes no sense to ignore the Wii now that it looks to be the undisputed king in all 3 territories. But even better, with no slowdown by Nintendo, they have the best chance on leading the next generation. And they are bringing in more customers. Why ignore this potential? All big games should hit the Wii. It's an investment. Nobody knows where the next GTA is coming from. The best chance is on the Wii.

Activision should really give the Wii it's very own Call of Duty made ground up for it, or at the very least a new FPS IP with a good budget.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can't think of any previous console generation with a situation quite like this. It is certainly very interesting.

I am pleased that things had not turned out as I once feared. While I was correct in assuming the Wii would become the number one console, I didn't expect the 360/PS3 to remain the primary focus of so many development houses. It seems to me that the HD systems can co-exist nicely with the Wii, which is great. All three are doing well enough to survive (though Sony is certainly hurting the most).

The only really unfortunate thing about the Wii is how much great Japanese software is being passed over for release in North America (or at least heavily delayed). The Wii is a great platform in Japan with a nice mix of hardcore games as well as those aimed at the new Nintendo focus. It has a balanced almost PS2-like library, in a way, yet the US library is terrible in comparison.

donny2112

BishopLamont said:
Activision should really give the Wii it's very own Call of Duty made ground up for it, or at the very least a new FPS IP with a good budget.

They could go the Shaun White route and create one game for the PS360, one for the Wii, call them the same name, and share marketing. Honestly, I think the Wii's likely to get a better FPS out of the deal if they try to stick a lot closer to what IW does with MW2, though.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I think we should wait to see who's handling the development of the Wii version of MW2 before we make that claim, donny.

markatisu

donny2112 said:
They could go the Shaun White route and create one game for the PS360, one for the Wii, call them the same name, and share marketing. Honestly, I think the Wii's likely to get a better FPS out of the deal if they try to stick a lot closer to what IW does with MW2, though.

If the Conduit is in any way successful (still unknown at this point) then it would be easier for Activision to ration a Wii specific version (not a ported over engine as we see in Cod WaW Wii)

Activison is always reactionary (see Guitar Hero and how that progressed from GHIII to GHWT) when it comes to Wii

We often make fun of Ubisoft but they have proven with Shaun White (I mean come on snowboarding is about as niche as you can get) that if you do not just port something you can earn praise from the industry and make a lot of money (since Shaun White scored highest on Wii and has sold more on the platform)

Hopefully SEGA's latest efforts (their trifecta of HoTD Overkill, MadWorld and Conduit) are not in vein, judging at least by the push they have promised MadWorld (this week they talked about advertising it and its now tail ended on the HoTD commercial as well as an unlockable trailer in the game) and the positive review scores and advertising they are giving HoTD Overkill it will be at least be a valiant effort.

ElFly

Thing is, MW2 has probably been in development for a while now.

If they didn't consider the Wii seriously when the project started, I doubt the current success of WaW will help a lot the theorical MW2 Wii version.

andthebeatgoeson

dark10x said:
I am pleased that things had not turned out as I once feared. While I was correct in assuming the Wii would become the number one console, I didn't expect the 360/PS3 to remain the primary focus of so many development houses. It seems to me that the HD systems can co-exist nicely with the Wii, which is great. All three are doing well enough to survive (though Sony is certainly hurting the most).
With so many devs/pubs in trouble, I don't think they are really coexisting very well. In many ways, they are in direct conflict with each other. I think co-existance would require great sales and profit on both sides of the table. DS and PSP are closer to a happy co-existance than HD and Wii.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
skinnyrattler said:
With so many devs/pubs in trouble, I don't think they are really coexisting very well. In many ways, they are in direct conflict with each other. I think co-existance would require great sales and profit on both sides of the table. DS and PSP are closer to a happy co-existance than HD and Wii.
I suppose you're right, but I was more referring to the fact that I had feared the popularity of the Wii would result in most developers shifting focus away from the HD systems (which really hasn't happened, fortunately).

ElFly said:
Thing is, MW2 has probably been in development for a while now.

If they didn't consider the Wii seriously when the project started, I doubt the current success of WaW will help a lot the theorical MW2 Wii version.

there's still probably 9 months to release so thats enough time to put a lot of extra effort into the wii version of MW2

dark10x said:
I can't think of any previous console generation with a situation quite like this. It is certainly very interesting.

The only really unfortunate thing about the Wii is how much great Japanese software is being passed over for release in North America (or at least heavily delayed). The Wii is a great platform in Japan with a nice mix of hardcore games as well as those aimed at the new Nintendo focus. It has a balanced almost PS2-like library, in a way, yet the US library is terrible in comparison.
i was pretty sure this day would come. as i always said, the market for hardcore games wasn't going to disappear no matter how big the wii became.

AniHawk

dark10x said:

I think your fears weren't founded very close to reality in the first place. Hardcore gaming was never going to die out thanks to casual gaming. Hardcore gaming was always in danger of snuffing itself out due to... well, we're seeing a light version of it this gen. Could've been worse. Glad it wasn't.

donny2112

Link said:
I think we should wait to see who's handling the development of the Wii version of MW2 before we make that claim, donny.

The thinking is that IW seems to know how to design FPS levels/game structure well, and Activision probably didn't enlist a separate top-tier team to do a possible Wii version. In that case, trying to mimic the levels/game structure of the IW game (with intelligently Wii-designed controls) would probably result in a better overall game than a totally, separately developed game.

AniHawk said:
Could've been worse. Glad it wasn't.

It's not over. In an IGN GameScoop podcast from earlier this year, Jeremy Dunham predicted that two Top 20 western publishers would go under this year. I'm thinking that THQ might've been one of the ones he was thinking of when making that prediction, but there would still be another. No, he did not consider Midway a Top 20 western publisher.

Luckyman

Banned
As of latest update WAW Wii has not even passed silver award (100k) in the UK while other versions are beyond platinum.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
donny2112 said:
It's not over. In an IGN GameScoop podcast from earlier this year, Jeremy Dunham predicted that two Top 20 western publishers would go under this year. I'm thinking that THQ might've been one of the ones he was thinking of when making that prediction, but there would still be another. No, he did not consider Midway a Top 20 western publisher.

I don't know about this year (maybe), but I'd wager that in, say, 5 years' time, several major publishers of today will become minor, and other minor, if not new publishers and developers will rise and become the kings of tomorrow. I don't see many big publishers managing today's disruption well, if only because they're just so big and thus suffer massive inertia. Maybe EA? Just a guess though.

markatisu

Luckyman said:
As of latest update WAW Wii has not even passed silver award (100k) in the UK while other versions are beyond platinum.

I cannot remember but I do not think CoD3 did well on Wii in the UK either (at least I dont remember it doing much more than 100k), where as in the US it sold more than the PS3 version (according to IGN and NPD)

Interestingly enough though almost all the light gun games on Wii have at least done 100k, maybe the UK likes light gun shooters and Activision should have marketed it towards the Wii Zapper crowd

Nice article as always, jvm. Thanks.

You sure sparked some controversy with CoD: WaW (or Rhindle did). I was watching this title with some interest, as I adored CoD3 and Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 on the Wii, despite the fact that they're bland, mediocre games outside of the controls. So my interest is in seeing some FPS success on the Wii, in the hopes of better games in the genre down the line. I'm really stoked about The Conduit, but anything not in the beaten-to-death WWII genre would probably get a purchase out of me.

I bought WaW for the Wii, and can testify to its relative scarcity--I had to go to Gamestop to get it, a place I ususally avoid. I also got the 3rd degree when I bought it. I've always wondered how much influence sales clerks have on the whole...I can easily picture somebody being dissuaded from buying a game if they got the kind of reaction I did.

Top Bottom