• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January 2010 NPD Article (Gamasutra)

Vinci

Danish
Baki said:
DS has double the install base and way more of an influx of new buyers. :D And even then, for its userbase the DS still has pretty poor software sales.

I'm sorry but wha....?????

Baki

Taurus said:
dqqdk.gif

Budget software is what does well on portables. That and Nintenod games. :lol

Baki

Vinci said:
I'm sorry but wha....?????

The DS SW is at 688M units worldwide and is currently at over 120M worldwide. When the PS2 was at 100M worldwide, it had racked up 775M software units. Now I'm not saying that DS SW is poor, but relative to its userbase and the rate at which new users are coming, they are poor. This is not Nintendo's fault, the 2nd hand market is flourishing in the US. Not to mention it is very easy to pirate games on the DS.

Source 1
Source 2

PS: used WW numbers. So much easier to find. :lol

Taurus

Baki said:
The DS SW is at 688M units worldwide and is currently at over 120M worldwide. When the PS2 was at 100M worldwide, it had racked up 775M software units. Now I'm not saying that DS SW is poor, but relative to its userbase and the rate at which new users are coming, they are poor. This is not Nintendo's fault, the 2nd hand market is flourishing in the US. Not to mention it is very easy to pirate games on the DS.

Source 1
Source 2

Handheld market =/= home console market.

Cipherr

Baki said:

Source 1
Source 2

Wait, so you are comparing the handheld to a console, and not only that, but making sure to compare said handheld to not only a console, but the single greatest performing console of all TIME and then when its slightly below the record breaking pace of the best console of all TIME you call it 'poor'.

Yeah Im sorry bro, but your just wrong.

Fularu

Banned
Puncture said:
Wait, so you are comparing the handheld to a console, and not only that, but making sure to compare said handheld to not only a console, but the single greatest performing console of all TIME and then when its slightly below the record breaking pace of the best console of all TIME you call it 'poor'.

It's Baki, he's a clueless sony fanboy. Everything on PSP/2/3 performs great and everything on DS/Wii performs poorly or bombs.

Just don't mind him

Jeels

Does anyone have LTD numbers for Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days in NA? Scribblenauts took the fifth spot, and I'm betting KH is number 6.

DeaconKnowledge said:
That's the thing though. NPD seems content to engage in backdoor deals with journalists to provide accurate numbers

You basically only see the scrupulous and dedicated types like jvm actually bothering with this, because as stump alluded to, NPD isn't very responsive to these requests. If you suddenly need data for a 24-hour deadline, chartz numbers are easier (and who cares about accuracy anyway?)

Frankly, I would think that if GAF wanted more access to numbers, they would encourage that site as a competitor, which would invariably force NPDs hand.

If they were an even remotely legitimate outlet you would in fact see this, but as it is you get 10,000 idiot fanboys trumpeting some imaginary victory on the back of literally 100% invented numbers for every person who's able to comment on some tiny nugget of truth somehow extracted from chartz's output.

Celine

Baki said:
DS has double the install base and way more of an influx of new buyers. :D And even then, for its userbase the DS still has pretty poor software sales.

Software/Hardware ratio using official shipment as 31 December 2009 :

PSP 3.8
GBA 4.6
DS 5.5

Baki

Taurus said:
Handheld market =/= home console market.

That is my point!!!!

Handheld market is plagued by piracy and second hand software sales. The userbase generally expects cheaper games.

Puncture said:

The point I am trying to make is that even the DS is being affected by used game sales. Its a real problem in the handheld market and it is why the PSP software is doing so poorly. I mean, if you look at the 2009 chart. A 5 year old game is still charting! This is because people want the old gems + want them cheap. These leads to less new software being bought and loads of 2nd hand software being bought.

And to be completely fair, I used the PS2 because it is the only console with the userbase and selling power that the DS has.

Fularu said:
It's Baki, he's a clueless sony fanboy. Everything on PSP/2/3 performs great and everything on DS/Wii performs poorly or bombs.

Just don't mind him

Wait...What? Who are you?

Oh and if you are going to excuse me of being a "troll". Bring some damn proof. If not, I suggest you be on your way.

Celine said:

PSP 3.8
GBA 4.6
DS 5.5

I never claimed that the PSP had a better tie ratio. I was just explaining why you generally don't see PSP games charting. Also like I said before, DS has a more active userbase due to a larger influx of new owners. This leads to better tie ratios as oppossed to a platform which is declining (HW wise).

squicken

Was there some recent drama surrounding NPD that I missed? Can someone provide a link? In the past I would have just searched Stump's post history

Baki

squicken said:
Was there some recent drama surrounding NPD that I missed? Can someone provide a link? In the past I would have just searched Stump's post history
AniHawk leaked some numbers. NPD called them false.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Baki said:
AniHawk leaked some numbers. NPD called them false.

Well, to give some colour commentary here, NPD called them false and then launched into a diatribe about how leaking numbers is bad and people busted leaking numbers will get in trouble... and then promptly did absolutely nothing to correct the false numbers in any way so I think the more literate among us are capable of decoding what's going on.

Verbatim from the mouth of DR. DAVID RILEY, GALACTIC DIRECTOR, NPD GROUP:
Some of the [information] provided is incorrect or in an approximate range that is still way off base.

oh good that he cleared up the numbers a wron...

Still, we're always disturbed by leaks. Our client contracts and publishing policies are as clear as crystal. Anyone caught distributing any information beyond what's usually allowed (e.g., a publisher can release its NPD sales numbers, but not those of other publishers) is likely to lose their subscription rights - either temporarily or permanently. This information is proprietary and confidential, and releasing any information beyond what is permitted does a disservice to themselves, as well as every other subscriber out there. NPD's information is not intended to be dumped into public domain feeding troughs.

Many years ago, we decided to begin releasing a set amount of approved research to our media partners. We worked closely with clients to set the stage for these monthly releases. The goal was to issue top-line sales research straight from the source vs. alleged numbers that often times led to major business and industry trade/consumer media reporting on incorrect sales figures. Unfortunately, what we release today doesn't seem to be enough for some.

In regards to this specific NeoGAF leak, NeoGAF staff has always worked closely with companies like NPD to ensure its users aren't posting unapproved information. I've not been in the forums in awhile, but I often hear from associates and acquaintances about sales threads and how well the moderators police them. I'm going to assume this is continuing, and that this latest leak was an anomaly and nothing more.
--David Riley
Director, Corp. Marketing
The NPD Group

If only the US would have multiple sales trackers that release numbers often like Japan does. No need for weekly chart, monthly will do just fine.

Baki

Stumpokapow said:
Well, to give some colour commentary here, NPD called them false and then launched into a diatribe about how leaking numbers is bad and people busted leaking numbers will get in trouble... and then promptly did absolutely nothing to correct the false numbers in any way so I think the more literate among us are capable of decoding what's going on.

:lol You did a much better job than me.

But yeah, atleast NPD is not as bad as GFK and Nielsen.

Celine

Celine said:

PSP 3.8
GBA 4.6
DS 5.5

Oh and while I'm still at it:

GB/C 4.2

Nes 8
Snes 7.7
N64 6.8
NGC 9.5
Wii 7.5

Virtual Boy
lol

Celine

Baki said:
I never claimed that the PSP had a better tie ratio. I was just explaining why you generally don't see PSP games charting. Also like I said before, DS has a more active userbase due to a larger influx of new owners. This leads to better tie ratios as oppossed to a platform which is declining (HW wise).
DS has a better tie ratio than PSP , GB/C and GBA.
It's unfair calling DS software sale "pretty poor" no matter how you try to spin them.

Sealda

Banned
Three times have a i bought PSPs. I am on my third now. I have sold my first two, to later buy a new one.

The thing is that when you do not have a portable, you really want one. But once you have one, you find that you do not play on the portable that much. I really think most people have the same experience. Especially with the PSPs slick look and good multimedia opportunities. Especially for kids and teenagers who maybe do not have the resources for a iPhone or iPod.

The easiest and most effective way to compare the software selling capability of 2 systems is simply to compare their total software sales vs the time on the market. I feel fairly confident that if you use this measure than the DS would be selling more software than any other console in the history of games. I'm not sure i would describe that as "poor".

Baki said:
And to be completely fair, I used the PS2 because it is the only console with the userbase and selling power that the DS has.

And with this sentence you have already proven yourself wrong. The fact that the only legitimate comparison to the DS is the best selling console of all time (in terms of hardware and software) shows just how well the DS is selling.

Baki said:

Actually if you read JJsloans analysis in the npd threads you would realise that selling hardware at a very fast rate leads to worse tie ratios.

squicken

Stumpokapow said:

Did this happen of GAF? If it's in the big Jan 2010 thread I can't find it.

I appreciate the work jvm does, but this month's article is pretty worthless. There's no new analysis b/c there is no new info. That Capcom earnings report is a joke. GAF may need to rethink the VGC stuff.

Baki

Celine said:
DS has a better tie ratio than PSP , GB/C and GBA.
It's unfair calling DS software sale "pretty poor" no matter how you try to spin them.

Baki said:
Now I'm not saying that DS SW is poor, but relative to its userbase and the rate at which new users are coming, they are poor. This is not Nintendo's fault, the 2nd hand market is flourishing in the US. Not to mention it is very easy to pirate games on the DS.

If you look at what I originally said, my comment was in relation to the rate the DS hardware is selling and current install base. Like I said before, DS software is not poor but for the rate it is selling at and the current install base it already has. One would expect better software sales.

HOWEVER as you have pointed out. This is the par of the course for handhelds. Which leads on to the point that I am trying to make.

That handheld software is generally much more affected by used game market due to the nature of the owners.

AdventureRacing said:
And with this sentence you have already proven yourself wrong. The fact that the only legitimate comparison to the DS is the best selling console of all time (in terms of hardware and software) shows just how well the DS is selling.

Wow...Put down the pitchfork guys. I never said the DS was selling poorly. On the contrary, I was praising the HW sales.

Celine

AdventureRacing said:
The easiest and most effective way to compare the software selling capability of 2 systems is simply to compare their total software sales vs the time on the market. I feel fairly confident that if you use this measure than the DS would be selling more software than any other console in the history of games. I'm not sure i would describe that as "poor".
Actually I'm quite sure that Wii beat easily the DS using that method and maybe even the PS2 beat it ( but I didn't search for it ).
DS however is a freaking monster sale-wise if we consider what previous handhelds has done.

Fularu

Banned
Baki said:
Wait...What? Who are you?

Oh and if you are going to excuse me of being a "troll". Bring some damn proof. If not, I suggest you be on your way.

Oh I would if the search function wasn't disabled and I'm definitely not going to go through most of the latest MC threads to point it out.

But go on, it's sure amusing ;)

Edit : also I make a clear distinction between a troll and a fanboy, I don't believe you're a troll!

With that said, enough with the off topic

Baki said:
If you look at what I originally said, my comment was in relation to the rate the DS hardware is selling and current install base. Like I said before, DS software is not poor but for the rate it is selling at and the current install base it already has. One would expect better software sales.

AdventureRacing said:
Actually if you read JJsloans analysis in the npd threads you would realise that selling hardware at a very fast rate leads to worse tie ratios.

Again i would point you to this. Selling hardware at a quick rate leads to lower tie ratios not the other way around.

Baki said:
Wow...Put down the pitchfork guys. I never said the DS was selling poorly. On the contrary, I was praising the HW sales.

Really?

Baki said:

You were trying to say that the amount of software the DS sells is poor compared to the amount of hardware it sells.

Not to mention you are making jumps in your logic. Somehow the fact that handhelds have slightly worse attach rates means that the handheld market is plagued by people who just want to buy used games. This simply isn't true, walk into any store that sells games and by far the biggest used section is generally PS2 games.

My theory on why attach rates are poorer for handhelds is because they tend to be for one person whereas consoles are for whole households. So for each handheld you generally only have one person buying games whereas for consoles you can have multiple people buying games.

Regardless of all this the DS is going to end selling nearly as much software as any other console we have seen. Any discussion that tries to paint that in anyway as poor is a bogus one.

Celine

Baki said:
Expect based on what past experience ? console ?
Consoles offer a different experience from handhelds and this lead to the second part of my post.

Baki said:
HOWEVER as you have pointed out. This is the par of the course for handhelds. Which leads on to the point that I am trying to make.

That handheld software is generally much more affected by used game market due to the nature of the owners.
I don't believe it is the used market and the piracy that keep handhelds software sales at a lower level than consoles ( with similar hardware sales) also because used games and piracy are rampant even on consoles.

I think we should search the cause of this historical trend on the different experience offered by handhelds.
An experience generally based on replayability and quick gameplay so you can use them on the move and multiple times.
Thus if most consumers usually stay at home probably they tend to prefer ( and buy for ) an home experience while if they are often on the go they likely would spend money on portable software ( no wonder handhelds are so popular in Japan :) ).

Edit:
AdventureRacing said:
My theory on why attach rates are poorer for handhelds is because they tend to be for one person whereas consoles are for whole households. So for each handheld you generally only have one person buying games whereas for consoles you can have multiple people buying games.
That's a good point.

Road

squicken said:
I appreciate the work jvm does, but this month's article is pretty worthless.
I don't think it's worthless.

I found the PS2, PSP and DS top 5 interesting (it is actually more than what jvm can usually get from NPD, with numbers or not). Same for the part dedicated to Sony.

squicken said:
GAF may need to rethink the VGC stuff.

So we can... do analysis of... some totally made-up numbers? :lol

On an entirely unrelated note hey guys I'm launching a brand new site at the end of the month called ZQGRAEFS it will have full sales information for ALL the videogames I guarantee it will be at least 100% as accurate as ioi's

botticus

charlequin said:
So we can... do analysis of... some totally made-up numbers? :lol

On an entirely unrelated note hey guys I'm launching a brand new site at the end of the month called ZQGRAEFS it will have full sales information for ALL the videogames I guarantee it will be at least 100% as accurate as ioi's
I was going to suggest it would be more worthwhile for GAF to start its own tracking service.

botticus

HK-47 said:
Would we be able to do any better than ioi?
In theory, sure! Much like the GAF Aggregate does pretty well at predictions, I think we could do pretty well at tracking.

But really, GAF hates ioi, so we're one step ahead going with imaginary numbers from ourselves, minus any lingering self-loathing.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
botticus said:
In theory, sure! Much like the GAF Aggregate does pretty well at predictions, I think we could do pretty well at tracking.

But really, GAF hates ioi, so we're one step ahead going with imaginary numbers from ourselves, minus any lingering self-loathing.

I think we can do pretty well, we already have some statisticians on the board.

All we have to do is to do better random sampling with retail and have checks and balances to prevent misinformation.

AdventureRacing said:

That seems to be worded a bit backwards from my thinking, but I agree in principle. A household will probably only have one console, but may have multiple handhelds. The pool of buyers for the single console and the multiple handhelds is the same. Some handheld games have an incentive to buy multiple copies, but much of it isn't compelling, and many have none at all.

Aside from that, the demographics and popular game genres are different, anyway. You could speculate that a typical handheld game, being a "pick up and play" type of experience (along the lines of Tetris), is less likely to be considered "finished", and therefore the owner may not be inclined to replace it or buy another game.

Zzoram

Stumpokapow said:
it's pretty embarrassing that npd's situation is such that you have to cite an analyst to cover your ass about reporting sales figures for #14, and have to explain your logic for providing sales for #17.

i guess they're feeling the burn after some recent number leaks fake numbers that got posted and absolutely aren't real npd numbers only they're not going to bother to state which are wrong or how they're wrong or correct any of them and they spent more of the comment talking about how leaks are bad than thinly trying to pretend they weren't real numbers number leaks and don't want to cooperate at all with non-paying clients.

for all their complaining that zgzhartz is baloney, the less open they are with their information, the more people are going to cite zgzhartz. the worst possible scenario is that people who know full well that zgzhartz are baloney start relying on them for "ballpark" numbers.

i really think npd needs to reflect on the kinds of data that make their service worth buying (ASP data, sales for every single title, sales breakdowns by SKU in terms of collectors versus regular editions, accessories sales, multipliers and market size information, etc--i don't know if NPD provides sell-through estimations or not) versus the kinds of data that are of interest to press and enthusiasts but don't necessarily drive service subscription (say, top 20/30, top 10 per console numbers, ltd updates for major titles, etc)

i guess the short form of what i'm trying to say is that if npd provided top 30 per month, top 10 per console per month without numbers, and an annual top 100, they wouldn't lose a dime of subscription money. they would kneecap zgzhartz.

I'm pretty sure that the stuff NPD releases to GAF is only a tiny fraction of the data they actually report to paying customers. We never see all the data because paying customers are also forbidden from releasing it.

charlequin said:
You basically only see the scrupulous and dedicated types like jvm actually bothering with this, because as stump alluded to, NPD isn't very responsive to these requests. If you suddenly need data for a 24-hour deadline, chartz numbers are easier (and who cares about accuracy anyway?)

Which, as I said plays to ******** favor, which NPD couldn't give a rats ass about. Face it; they don't give a shit if Kotaku sources VGC when quoting numbers because Kotaku speaks to a market NPD doesn't care about. In fact, i''d wager the only reason we even heard from whats his face is to remind those that will pay that NPD is the only source for true numbers, which would more than explain why they didn't counter with actually revealing the truth; they want you to pay up first. NPD is fine to have chartz supply BS numbers to Joystiq; if say, Bloomberg started to use them in their publications, then we would see NPD panic. That's never gonna happen though, so why should NPD worry?

charlequin said:
If they were an even remotely legitimate outlet you would in fact see this, but as it is you get 10,000 idiot fanboys trumpeting some imaginary victory on the back of literally 100% invented numbers for every person who's able to comment on some tiny nugget of truth somehow extracted from chartz's output.

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking VGC exists for any other reason than to supply this very group with ammunition. VGC gets what they want, NPD only pipes up when they see money left on the table, and GAF continues to bitch for something it will never get.

Tiktaalik

Stumpokapow said:

The fact that AniHawk never gets banned for seemingly leaking numbers makes me have no idea whether he's telling the truth or not.

I mean would one be banned for blaitantly lying about fake stuff? Would one be banned for leaking NPD numbers?

botticus

DeaconKnowledge said:
In fact, i''d wager the only reason we even heard from whats his face is to remind those that will pay that NPD is the only source for true numbers,
You don't consider the fact that they have to do that to be a problem?

And of course, there is this:
News organizations such as the BBC, Forbes, Fortune, the New York Post, and the New York Times have used VG Chartz for sales data in their publications.
In October 2009 Square Enix used VG Chartz as a source in its financial report.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VG_Chartz

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tiktaalik said:
The fact that AniHawk never gets banned for seemingly leaking numbers makes me have no idea whether he's telling the truth or not.

I mean would one be banned for blaitantly lying about fake stuff? Would one be banned for leaking NPD numbers?

False numbers will get you banned, just ask ioi! :lol

donny2112

Zzoram said:
I'm pretty sure that the stuff NPD releases to GAF is only a tiny fraction of the data they actually report to paying customers.

Oh, definitely. However,

charlequin said:
It also didn't help that they cut a very clearly-worded deal with NeoGAF (and, presumably, other sources that they agreed to provide "free numbers" to at the same time) as part of their "please crack down on leaked numbers" campaign, but then failed to meet the terms of that deal even a single time. :D

Kunan

"NPD's information is not intended to be dumped into public domain feeding troughs."

Paints quite a picture there :lol

DeaconKnowledge said:
Which, as I said plays to ******** favor, which NPD couldn't give a rats ass about.

That is, from my perspective, pretty trivially disprovable through the simple observation that NPD does, indeed, seem to care quite a bit about VGC's existence and the (constantly growing) usage of their false numbers by major media outlets.

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking VGC exists for any other reason than to supply this very group with ammunition.

VCG exists to make ioi money. Every other consideration is certainly well behind that in the priority list.

News organizations such as the BBC, Forbes, Fortune, the New York Post, and the New York Times have used VG Shartz for sales data in their publications.

Add Entertainment Weekly to that list, with a new regular column using those wacky Shartz numbers. Hey, look at that, Dark Void is doing well!

EW_VGShartz.jpg

NPD numbers are obviously more accurate, but capitalism gets in the way of our true enjoyment of them (sloshing about in our filthy troughs). Indeed, we're forbidden from the data despite that it is our actions (buying games) that generate it and the proprietary value given to it through manufactured scarcity! Marx was right. Revolution starts tomorrow.

Unless, of course, we get distracted by video games, which is pretty much guaranteed...

Sipowicz

Banned
Leondexter said:
It's a turd. Of course, that has little to do with it selling or not, but it's useless. Portables should distinguish themselves from home consoles with appropriate games, not watered-down versions that should've been on TV-based machines.

no, portables like other systems should have good games. psp has this. psp rules

Baki said:

i'm a pretty big advocate of the PSP and even I think you're as transparent as hell

charlequin said:
That is, from my perspective, pretty trivially disprovable through the simple observation that NPD does, indeed, seem to care quite a bit about VGC's existence and the (constantly growing) usage of their false numbers by major media outlets.

Concerned enough to do nothing? Gotcha.

charlequin said:
VCG exists to make ioi money. Every other consideration is certainly well behind that in the priority list.

It's easiest to make money pandering to the LCD. Peas in a pod and all that.

botticus said:
You don't consider the fact that they have to do that to be a problem?

And of course, there is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VG_Chartz

Doesn't matter what I think. For what it's worth I agree that NPD would lose nothing by giving out base numbers while selling more complex breakdowns to paying customers. Doesn't mean it'll happen.

As for major outlets using VGC numbers? Well, not much NPD can do about that, considering how secretive they are. As it stands it seems like their counter is to scream "DON'T TRUST THEM" and then continue as they were. They're clearly fine with just that.

duk

Banned
I think the industry needs a reboot and need to go back to it's core, making fewer but better games on less platforms. Industry is becoming like the movie industry, too many fillers not making enough money to support the ecosystem.

Ondore

A few months ago I recall reading that NPD would give slightly modified results (off by a few hundred units either way, less than a margin of error) to different people to catch a leak. Was that ever proven?

DeaconKnowledge said:
Concerned enough to do nothing? Gotcha.

Errr... what?

I'm sure you have some very clever justification by which Riley spends so much actual real timeputting out this material attacking dachartz just because he's personally constipated or whatever, but I'm going to go with the straightforward theory here where they do that because they correctly identify someone else providing a free service that competes with their expensive subscriptions, even in a slightly indirect fashion, to actually be a meaningful threat to their business.

If we're going to look at this your way we might as well assume that NPD doesn't care about leaks on GAF, too! After all, the sum total of their (publicly visible) response to any recent leaks has been exactly the same as their (publicly visible) response to ioi's website. Clearly we should just post whatever numbers we can find all the time starting now.

Top Bottom