• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

Most the time Raw is gonna get around the same rating every week unless there's competition. They'll get 3.0-3.5 with no football, 2.5-3.0 with football on, it'll dip or go up if something special is happening either on Raw or, say, a big rival game. Yet people get obsessed with them, it's pretty odd.

The WWE has let viewers get too comfortable. Because of how the show is formatted, people know when it's "safe" to change the channel. It's why I've always been a fan of segments bleeding into one another instead of being separated simply by backstage promos, vignettes, and commercials. Raw is too predictable in its execution.

Ozone

750,000 additional viewers tuned in to see Bork hop

7WrGCRh.gif
I want The Bork Dance to become the latest dance craze. We need something to fill the hole left by Gangnam Style.

Dixie Carter's big announcement is supposedly that TNA is going on the road permanently in 2013 and leaving the Impact Zone behind aside from occasional shows.

2013 is said to be a make-or-break year in terms of TNA's existence.

He's already doing the dance. Someone sync the song over the vid.

...oh fuck, I heard the song in my head as I watched the gif.
Dixie Carter's big announcement is supposedly that TNA is going on the road permanently in 2013 and leaving the Impact Zone behind aside from occasional shows.

But what does this mean for Aces and Eights? They're only allowed free reign in the Impact Zone, right??

Seriously though, I hope TNA succeeds.

strobogo

Banned
Most the time Raw is gonna get around the same rating every week unless there's competition. They'll get 3.0-3.5 with no football, 2.5-3.0 with football on, it'll dip or go up if something special is happening either on Raw or, say, a big rival game. Yet people get obsessed with them, it's pretty odd.

Fans being obssessed with them is the weird thing. It makes sense that Vince and company would be, but not the fans. It's one of the dumbest hold overs from the Attitude Era. How obnoxious would it be if random sitcoms had "more people watched us than on Animal Planet, TLC, MTV Latino, and Fuel combined last week!" on the show itself? Not commercials from the network, but the actual characters of the show. A 3.2 in today's world is a massive success on cable. Raw is still regularly the top watched cable show every week. Dudes flipping out because they aren't getting 6s and 7s are completely missing the fact that their show is super successful, more so than nearly every show on cable every week. Yet WWE is still so obssessed (even though they have no competition in their field) that they've trained fans to be super into them, too.

Vince's life long self loathing of himself as a wrestling promoter thinks he's in competition against shit like Discovery and real sports. He isn't. Pro wrestling is a very specific niche product that doesn't really compete against anything else besides other wrestling. And since TNA isn't shit, WWE has no competition. There aren't too many people who have to decide if they're going to watch wrestling or a CBS drama on Mondays.

After the whole Spindashing fiasco, the only thing that could get me to watch TNA is if they do a show at Madison Square Garden.

And Joker Sting has to be there, too.

Fans being obssessed with them is the weird thing. It makes sense that Vince and company would be, but not the fans. It's one of the dumbest hold overs from the Attitude Era. How obnoxious would it be if random sitcoms had "more people watched us than on Animal Planet, TLC, MTV Latino, and Fuel combined last week!" on the show itself? Not commercials from the network, but the actual characters of the show. A 3.2 in today's world is a massive success on cable. Raw is still regularly the top watched cable show every week. Dudes flipping out because they aren't getting 6s and 7s are completely missing the fact that their show is super successful, more so than nearly every show on cable every week. Yet WWE is still so obssessed (even though they have no competition in their field) that they've trained fans to be super into them, too.

Vince's life long self loathing of himself as a wrestling promoter thinks he's in competition against shit like Discovery and real sports. He isn't. Pro wrestling is a very specific niche product that doesn't really compete against anything else besides other wrestling. And since TNA isn't shit, WWE has no competition. There aren't too many people who have to decide if they're going to watch wrestling or a CBS drama on Mondays.

I think the reason fans care is because they think ratings are directly linked to how much time wrestlers are going to be given. Which is fair in a sense, although people are quick to over react.

Omega

Banned
just read what booker t's announcement was going to be. I guess I missed it in this thread because I'm sure it was discussed.

why the fuck is
Khali in the match
for? AJ wrestles more than him

Kaladin

Dixie Carter's announcement.....

TNA President Dixie Carter's announcement will be that most Impact Wrestling will be on the road going forward. The plan we have heard is to broadcast one live episode and tape another episode the same night.

The first taping will be Thursday 3/14 in Hoffman Estates, IL at the Sears Centre Arena, a venue they have run before. There's been talk of doing a PPV there for some time.

rvd2kewl

TNA President Dixie Carter's announcement will be that most Impact Wrestling will be on the road going forward. The plan we have heard is to broadcast one live episode and tape another episode the same night.

The first taping will be Thursday 3/14 in Hoffman Estates, IL at the Sears Centre Arena, a venue they have run before. There's been talk of doing a PPV there for some time.

Cool. I'll be there...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Great idea. Should have bit the bullet and done this back in January 2010.

However:
Sears Centre Arena
Capacity: 11,218
Come on, TNA. Get real here and start booking venues you might actually fill. Even if it is a much smaller venue you will get a much better atmosphere.

Daniel Bryan as the Dazzler is on commentary on Saturday Morning Slam. Pretty funny.
As the other WrassleGAFfer who watches Saturday Morning Slam, I have to agree.

I was late as hell (I always DVR it and it was a busy weekend for wrestling and me personally) but seriously folks, don't sleep.

Just listen to THE DAZZLER on commentary for last weekend's show:

---

Dazzler: Whoa...bit of a dipsy-doodle there.

Josh: This is your first time doing commentary?

Dazzler: Is this your first time doing commentary? I thought the rules of doing WWE commentary were just to say the same things over and over again...like "vintage" or something. My "vintage" thing is saying everything is Dazzling.

Josh: Darren Young dazzlingly goes for the cover.

Dazzler: He doesn't dazzlingly do anything. I am the only one who can assign the word "dazzling" to something. I'm really the only Dazzling person in the WWE

...Miz would be a little more dazzling if he side parted his hair.

---

*dies*

I'm sold.

zychi

Banned
750,000 additional viewers tuned in to see Bork hop

7WrGCRh.gif
i love how unoriginal the rock is now, he stole the bork hop, but instead of shaking his lega, he shakes his fat hgh arms.

also, punk was on the nerdist podcast awhile ago and said he isnt someone who actively fights with people. he runs his mouth, but prefers to back away from fights unless absolutely necessary. something to do with his high school life. really good interview and insight into phil brooks' world outside of cm punk

I was late as hell (I always DVR it and it was a busy weekend for wrestling and me personally) but seriously folks, don't sleep.

---

Dazzler: Is this your first time doing commentary? I thought the rules of doing WWE commentary were just to say the same things over and over again...like "vintage" or something. My "vintage" thing is saying everything is Dazzling.

Dazzler: He doesn't dazzlingly do anything. I am the only one who can assign the word "dazzling" to something. I'm really the only Dazzling person in the WWE

---

*dies*

I'm sold.

"Airplane spin?! I am outraged!"

Best Raw of the year sale date!!!

-Tickets for the Raw after WrestleMania 29, which will be held in East Rutherford, NJ at the IZOD Center will go on sale February 9th. There will be a pre-sale prior to that.

edit.

Undertaker Wrestle Mania update.

Word at WWE TV this week was that plans for Wrestlemania may need to be altered pending a decision on whether The Undertaker will wrestle on the show. Undertaker had committed to the show several months back, and there had been plans in place for a CM Punk storyline leading into the PPV.

The latest is that Undertaker's physical condition was being called into question and it was no longer fully confirmed he would be working the show. This is not the first time that WWE has been back and forth on whether Undertaker would work a WrestleMania, but he always came through and worked the show.

---

---

*dies*

I'm sold.

Thanks for the link, this is great.

Best Raw of the year sale date!!!

-Tickets for the Raw after WrestleMania 29, which will be held in East Rutherford, NJ at the IZOD Center will go on sale February 9th. There will be a pre-sale prior to that.

edit.

Undertaker Wrestle Mania update.

Word at WWE TV this week was that plans for Wrestlemania may need to be altered pending a decision on whether The Undertaker will wrestle on the show. Undertaker had committed to the show several months back, and there had been plans in place for a CM Punk storyline leading into the PPV.

The latest is that Undertaker's physical condition was being called into question and it was no longer fully confirmed he would be working the show. This is not the first time that WWE has been back and forth on whether Undertaker would work a WrestleMania, but he always came through and worked the show.

He will be 48 before Mania, and he's still broken down from a match ten months ago, he should just retire.

Ozone

The camera cuts on SMS during matches still really throw me off.

EDIT: Watching NXT now, and holy shit Mason Ryan got JACKED.

Brinbe

Good for TNA. Hope that move is a success for them. They needed to get out of that place in the worst way.

And definitely need to get tix for that post-WM Raw. Can't miss out on the (undoubtedly) smarkiest crowd of the year.

^knowing our luck, the next week DDB would try that, he'd get Linda McMahon'd^
The camera cuts on SMS during matches still really throw me off.
They always do it for strikes/finishers that involve the head, because kids...

the Rey Mysterio/Michael McGillicutty match was the worst offender in this regard, but it actually made the action seem more dangerous hahaha

Ozone

They always do it for strikes/finishers that involve the head, because kids...

the Rey Mysterio/Michael McGillicutty match stands head and shoulders above as the worst offender in this regard, but it actually made the action seem more dangerous hahaha
Oh, I totally know why they do it. The guidelines to keep the G rating are really silly.

Taker not working would probably force them in to a Triple Threat for the title, you'd think. That or they'll just forget about Punk and put him and The Shield against some midcarders.

Kaladin

Taker not working would probably force them in to a Triple Threat for the title, you'd think. That or they'll just forget about Punk and put him and The Shield against some midcarders.

A triple threat would certainly make it more interesting and avoid the "Once In A Lifetime" deal.

Top Bottom