• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Daily Sales - 8/11/04

cvxfreak

1. (PlayStation 2 - Konami) World Soccer Winning Eleven 8
2. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. 2
3. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Link no Bouken
4. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Famicom Tantei Kurabu Kieta Koukeisha Zenkouhen
5. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Famicon Mukashi: Washinki ke Shima Zenkouhen
6. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Famicom Tantei Kurabu PART II Ushiro ni Tatsushojou Zenkouhen
7. (GameCube - Nintendo) Paper Mario RPG
8. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Nazo no Sonujou
9. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Akumajou Dracula (Castlevania)
10. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: SD Gundam World Gachapon Senshi Scramble War

Metroid and Kid Icarus are out, Gundam and Paper Mario in and back in, respectively. WE8 back on top.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Jeez, it must be nice to earn all that money for doing just about nothing. Shows the power of the oldschool Nintendo games.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Look at Winning Eleven go. And who would believe that Nintendo owns 9 of the top 10 spots (for the second day in a row).

The power of the Famicom is scary.

cvxfreak

MetatronM said:
Look at Winning Eleven go. And who would believe that Nintendo owns 9 of the top 10 spots (for the second day in a row).

The power of the Famicom is scary.

If Revolution were called "Famicom 3" how much of an effect do you think that would have on Japanese gamers?

nubbe

seal.jpg

ourumov

Makes me wonder why couldn't they re-release those titles and other ones in old platfforms...I would pay for more N64 games, SNES games or even NES games...

GDGF

Soothsayer
I wish they would bring back the Famicom name. Revolution would sound wierd in Japanese anyway. Lebolushon or something. They'd probably call it Leboluu for short. That just sounds funky. Bring back the Famicom name I say (at least for Japan)

cvxfreak

I have little doubt in my mind that the Famicom name would sell at least an additional 1 Million consoles in Japan. If Revolution were called Famicom 3, then it'd be an interesting and matched battle to say the least. Famicom 3 vs. PlayStation 3, the battle of the two game titans.

3phemeral

Lost Weekend said:
I wish they would bring back the Famicom name. Revolution would sound wierd in Japanese anyway. Lebolushon or something. They'd probably call it Leboluu for short. That just sounds funky. Bring back the Famicom name I say (at least for Japan)

There's no "L" in japanese, so it'd be more like: Reiborushyon /レイボルション :)

3phemeral

I suppose it would have to depend on the marketing approach. As far as I'm aware, the Nintendo "Dual Screen" hasn't had an equivalent translation in Japanese, much like I doubt "Kakumei" would be an option for replacement concerning japanese promotion of "Revolution". Whatever the reason is, I'm sure it's the same reason why "Faineru Fantajii" isn't translated into 最後の空想 (Saigo no Kuusou).

...Revolution isn't the product name. Nobody would actually name their system after the internal project name. If so we'd be playing the Sony Emotion Engine, Nintendo Dolphin, and the Microsoft, uh, Xbox.

3phemeral

Kobun Heat said:
...Revolution isn't the product name. Nobody would actually name their system after the internal project name. If so we'd be playing the Sony Emotion Engine, Nintendo Dolphin, and the Microsoft, uh, Xbox.

To be perfectly honest, the "emotion engine" wasn't the code name for the console, just hype Sony was building for it's chip design. I'm pretty sure "Playstation 2" was known as the console name quite a while before it was unveiled, so technically that leaves Nintendo's "Project Dolphin" the only console from this last generation to forego the project code name. Also, the Nintendo DS was tentative title thus far -- but all references to DS promotional shots appear to have DS as the commercial name as well.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yeah, I kinda have a feeling that Revolution will stick. That code name is going to catch on like mad in the next year or so, and just as Nintendo stuck with the DS because it best represented what Ninendo's new handheld stood for, they just might come to the same conclusion for the Revolution.

Deg

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
Yeah, I kinda have a feeling that Revolution will stick. That code name is going to catch on like mad in the next year or so, and just as Nintendo stuck with the DS because it best represented what Ninendo's new handheld stood for, they just might come to the same conclusion for the Revolution.

DS isnt eaxctly the same. DS was called Nitro.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Actually it's a similar tale. It was called Nitro but it was switched to DS (which not only stood for Dual Screens, but also Developers system) and it was supposed to switch again but didn't. The Revolution was also dubbed the NGC before it was switched to Revolution, remember?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Imagine if Nintendo do put a hdd in their new machine and include internet capabilities include N64/SNES/NES then have a pay for download Rom system (300 yen a game - the price of a high grade gatchagatcha) ?

People would go nuts for that sort of set up.

Or HELL - just stick the games on a disk and charge 2000 yen!

Easy money and INSTAMASSIVEQUALITYBACKCATALOGUE.

pcostabel

Gold Member
Kobun Heat said:

You mean Project Midway

3phemeral

pcostabel said:
You mean Project Midway

That's true, but "Project Midway" was used as the codename for Japan (I remember a huge backlash thread a while back becaus eof the connection to WWII) and had only been known until after the Xbox had been released for quite a while. When the first Xbox Silver X prototype was unveiled with the mouse trap/golf ball demo and Raven/Mech, it was officially known to the public as Xbox.

"Revolution" seems to be a popular name so far and if there's a bunch of good buzz about it from here until the official specs of the machine are released, I'm sure Nintendo will keep the name.

Back on topic: I'm guessing the charts will stay like this for a while. o_O

Justin Bailey

------ ------
CVXFREAK said:
1. (PlayStation 2 - Konami) World Soccer Winning Eleven 8
2. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. 2
3. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Link no Bouken
4. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Famicom Tantei Kurabu Kieta Koukeisha Zenkouhen
5. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Famicon Mukashi: Washinki ke Shima Zenkouhen
6. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Famicom Tantei Kurabu PART II Ushiro ni Tatsushojou Zenkouhen
7. (GameCube - Nintendo) Paper Mario RPG
8. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Nazo no Sonujou
9. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Akumajou Dracula (Castlevania)
10. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: SD Gundam World Gachapon Senshi Scramble War

Metroid and Kid Icarus are out, Gundam and Paper Mario in and back in, respectively. WE8 back on top.
dollars-.jpg

The top selling game is Winning Eleven 8 and people are having a hissy fit that Nintendo's Classic series is selling well? The mind boggles.

Sure I can. It's the seventh sequel to a soccer game.

Seventh.

To a soccer game.

It's as a much a licence to print money as Nintendo's cashing in on nostalgia and portability

cvxfreak

Kobun Heat said:
No, you're still wrong:

Reboryuushon
レボリューション

God I hate how that's spelled like that. I've seen it the way I tried to spell it though, usually on fliers for car events, but of course that still means it's probably not right. ;)

Socreges

Banned
Traumahound said:
Sure I can. It's the seventh sequel to a soccer game.

Seventh.

To a soccer game.

It's as a much a licence to print money as Nintendo's cashing in on nostalgia and portability
How do you figure? As with any sports series, the games are significantly improved each year. They also coincide with the launch of a new season with updated rosters, etc.

Nintendo's Classic series are the same games you played several years ago. The exact same.

I'm not saying that's just cause to complain. I'm just saying that your appeal to sports games is beyond retarded. There is no parallel, no matter how you slice it.

Also, for the record, AND THIS IS IMPORTANT, show me one person that threw a "hissy fit" or anything remotely close to getting upset. Just one.

jett

D-Member
I think it's incredible how well the famicom line is selling, but not as completely, fucking ridiculously iditoic as the success of the "classic" series in Nort America. At least Japan is getting fancy packaging. :p

Also, they should bring back the "Famicom" name for their next console.

Oxymoron

3pheMeraLmiX said:
To be perfectly honest, the "emotion engine" wasn't the code name for the console, just hype Sony was building for it's chip design. I'm pretty sure "Playstation 2" was known as the console name quite a while before it was unveiled, so technically that leaves Nintendo's "Project Dolphin" the only console from this last generation to forego the project code name.

Katana/Black Belt.

I'm not debating that. I don't agree with the initial claim either. The comment that sports games change significantly every year is way off though. They are both wrong.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Socreges said:
Nintendo's Classic series are the same games you played several years ago. The exact same.

Show me how you can save in the original Super Mario Bros.
Do it!

jarrod

Banned
Socreges said:
How do you figure? As with any sports series, the games are significantly improved each year. They also coincide with the launch of a new season with updated rosters, etc.
Actually, Winning Eleven is "improved" 2 to 4 times each year. ;)

Socreges said:
Actually they're not... they're missing some scanlines. :p

Also games like Mario & Excitebike now have battery backups.

Top Bottom