• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Japan's 21st Century Top 100 Selling Games

Code:
100     917,000   WII  Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition                    Nintendo              2010-10-21

Crazy to think a collection of 3 NES games can sell that much 20 years later after their release.

Japan really loves their 2D Mario fix I guess.

Code:
100     917,000   WII  Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition                    Nintendo              2010-10-21

Crazy to think a collection of 3 NES games can sell that much 20 years later after their release.

I remember the GBA port of SMB also selling over a million copies. That and Super Mario 64 DS crossing a million (and even outselling the Galaxy games) are really surprising to me.

Edit: yeah it's on the chart.

orioto

Good Art™
Wow at PS3 having just one million seller in Japan.. Sony will have to do better than that this time! And they are not starting well (late japan release and no real killer apps for them..)

fabprems

I'm surprised that there is so little PS2 games at the top of this chart. In my mind, games were selling like hot cakes during the PS2 domination era...
My memory is playing tricks on me !

bigol

Best selling KONAMI games: Winning eleven 6 and we7 (Pes 2 and Pes 3)

More than 1 million sales.

Winning eleven 2013 sold about 300.000 copies in Japan. Sad times.

Code:

And that was a limited print, it could have sold more.

Dragon Quest Collection (Wii) - 387,114
Kirby Collection (Wii) - 225,772

Did:

Code:
209,000   360  Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope                               Square Enix           2009-02-19
204,000   360  Tales of Vesperia                                         Bandai Namco          2008-08-07
204,000   360  Blue Dragon                                               Microsoft             2006-12-07

Strike anybody as odd? How did they get to the same amount over that span of years? Did Microsoft just buy up 200k of each?

I'm surprised that there is so little PS2 games at the top of this chart. In my mind, games were selling like hot cakes during the PS2 domination era...
My memory is playing tricks on me !
During PS2 times we had a much, much healthier market for lower- and mid-tier games than we have today. PS2 isn't well represented next to the Nintendo 3+ million juggernauts, but below that there's a big variety of great selling games.

Sickbean

Confirms why Nintendo are in no hurry to make a new Galaxy style Mario. Japanese gamers are seemingly even more conservative than western gamers.

upandaway

Did:

Code:
209,000   360  Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope                               Square Enix           2009-02-19
204,000   360  Tales of Vesperia                                         Bandai Namco          2008-08-07
204,000   360  Blue Dragon                                               Microsoft             2006-12-07

Strike anybody as odd? How did they get to the same amount over that span of years? Did Microsoft just buy up 200k of each?
It's the purest example of a small but dedicated fanbase, haha. Exactly 200k of those guys.

Rocky

Banned
Code:

3 years ago, yeah, but recently it looks like even Japan is getting tired of 2D Mario:
4,568,000 WII New Super Mario Bros. Wii Nintendo 2009-12-03

553,000 WIU New Super Mario Bros. U Nintendo 2012-12-08

Shufel

I think it's a bit ridiculous that Japan basically ignores games that aren't from their own country. I suppose it's better than having a top 10 list filled with Call of Duty games, but it's still really depressing.

jett

D-Member
917,000 WII Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition

WdSFivT.jpg

This data just tell the same old story of Nintendo that we all have known already

- Nintendo handhelds are always great success in Japan.
- Wii is the only successful console in the last decade. The other are disaster.

CassSept

Impressive list. All-time is interesting two, 3/5 best selling games of all time are Pokemon. Well, depending on AC:NL's legs this century's list of best selling games in Japan will soon be 4/5 Pokemon. Monster.

JoeM86

And to think, just one and a half months after this chart's calculation, another Pokémon game has been released and is already at the point where it'd be in the Top 20.

daxgame

I think it's a bit ridiculous that Japan basically ignores games that aren't from their own country. I suppose it's better than having a top 10 list filled with Call of Duty games, but it's still really depressing.

well, GTA V sales are a different indication.
I'm european and the overwhelming majority of the boxed games I buy end up being japanese - and I don't even buy otakuish stuff - go figure.
Add the fact that the dedicated handheld games development in the west is almost non-existant...
Can't really blame them...

1,906,000 PS3 Final Fantasy XIII Square Enix 2009-12-17
881,000 PS3 Final Fantasy XIII-2 Square Enix 2011-12-15
838,000 PS3 Resident Evil 6 Capcom 2012-10-04

It's been said, but god damn, that gap. If you want an illustration that HD gaming has struggled in Japan all generation, look no further.

Meanwhile, the NDS had thirty-six million sellers. The 3DS has eight on the list, and we know there's a ninth courtesy of Pokemon X/Y. This is frankly not the best picture for the PS4, never mind the Bone, as it suggests that anything for a set-top console in Japan is going to have to budget to sell under a million units, and that could affect what developers can do in terms of resources. And it's never easy porting a portable game to a set-top or the PC for overseas release, either.

The most impressive thing about DQ is not how well it sell, but the fact that its sales remained very stable over the years despite the series age. DQIX is not only the best selling DQ in Japan, but in the west too (1m+ oversea sales).

Kid Ying

That's not true. There's a lot of western games that do ery well, they just don't do as well as the biggest japanese franchises, which is exactly what it also happens in the west, with a few exceptions.

The list is a little sad to me. You can see console gaming turn into a niche on it. Lots of games that made huge bucks that now struggle to sell 300k copies. A damn shame.

3 years ago, yeah, but recently it looks like even Japan is getting tired of 2D Mario:

One game was released to an already well established userbase and another was a launch title.

4,568,000 WII New Super Mario Bros. Wii Nintendo 2009-12-03/ 3 years into Wii lifecycle

553,000 WIU New Super Mario Bros. U Nintendo 2012-12-08/ Wii U launch title

Is there any reason for Famitsu to mention the 1300th game or is that just the get the 2ch equivalent of sales-age excited (with that info you might be able to deduce things)?

It's pretty much meant as a signpost, I imagine; give you an idea of where the "average", 100k-selling game places at this point.

Road

Is there any reason for Famitsu to mention the 1300th game or is that just the get the 2ch equivalent of sales-age excited (with that info you might be able to deduce things)?

The list was for the celebration of the edition no. 1300 of Famitsu.

As curiosity, the sales of GTA and COD in Japan.

This was not in the magazine, it's based on the other rankings. I've combined all multiplatform releases
to make their sales look better
. Since it's not directly from Famitsu, some numbers are outdated or missing.

Code:
612.000  PS2 XBX      Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
573.000  PS3 360 WIU  Call of Duty: Black Ops II
526.000  PS3 360      Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
525.000  PS3 360      Call of Duty: Black Ops
497.000  PS3 360      Grand Theft Auto V
485.000  PS2          Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
466.000  PS2 XBX      Grand Theft Auto III
464.000  PS3 360      Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
448.000  PS3 360      Grand Theft Auto IV
443.000  PS3 360 NDS  Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
412.000  PSP PS2      Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
316.000  PSP PS2      Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
221.000  PS3 360      Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
 58.000  NDS PSP      Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
 47.000  PS3 360      Call of Duty 3
 44.000  PSV          Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified
 27.000  PS1          Grand Theft Auto
 10.000  PS2          Call of Duty: Finest Hour
  9.000  360          Call of Duty 2

vctor182

So can we have an update to the Mario Chart?? I'm curios to see if NSMB DS has passed the legendary SMB....

EDIT: Damn, it still needs 400k more to match it, legendary indeed.

It's been said, but god damn, that gap. If you want an illustration that HD gaming has struggled in Japan all generation, look no further.

Meanwhile, the NDS had thirty-six million sellers. The 3DS has eight on the list, and we know there's a ninth courtesy of Pokemon X/Y. This is frankly not the best picture for the PS4, never mind the Bone, as it suggests that anything for a set-top console in Japan is going to have to budget to sell under a million units, and that could affect what developers can do in terms of resources. And it's never easy porting a portable game to a set-top or the PC for overseas release, either.

THIS...so much THIS.

I wondered earlier in the thread as to what the hell the japanese were doing with the PS2 during lulls when DQ/FF/DW was not released and someone mentioned :using it as a DVD player" and the more I think of it, the more I agree with that. The PS2 did such huge numbers partly because it was many person's 1st or 2nd DVD player. Similarly, the PS3 is many people's main blu0ray player. The Ps4 has nothing like that going for it.

Here's a prediction. The Ps4 in 1 year will NOT match the WiiU one year total...crazy prediction - the PS4 in one year will only have an install base of around 500k. With no Final fantasy and no Dragon quest and only Dynsaty warrior on the console? It's screwed. And that says nothing about how badly the Xbox one will get pummeled.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The list was for the celebration of the edition no. 1300 of Famitsu.

As curiosity, the sales of GTA and COD in Japan.

This was not in the magazine, it's based on the other rankings. I've combined all multiplatform releases
to make their sales look better
. Since it's not directly from Famitsu, some numbers are outdated or missing.

Code:
612.000  PS2 XBX      Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
573.000  PS3 360 WIU  Call of Duty: Black Ops II
526.000  PS3 360      Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
525.000  PS3 360      Call of Duty: Black Ops
497.000  PS3 360      Grand Theft Auto V
485.000  PS2          Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
466.000  PS2 XBX      Grand Theft Auto III
464.000  PS3 360      Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
448.000  PS3 360      Grand Theft Auto IV
443.000  PS3 360 NDS  Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
412.000  PSP PS2      Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
316.000  PSP PS2      Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
221.000  PS3 360      Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
 58.000  NDS PSP      Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
 47.000  PS3 360      Call of Duty 3
 44.000  PSV          Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified
 27.000  PS1          Grand Theft Auto
 10.000  PS2          Call of Duty: Finest Hour
  9.000  360          Call of Duty 2

The sales for CoD isn't that bad at all. Considering consoles games rarely hitting even the 400K or 500K mark this gen.

BizzyBum

Looks at WiiU. We do wonder.

The Wii U will be fine in the long run.

Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. 4, Zelda Wii U, Bayonetta 2, X are all releasing in the next year (minus Zelda, probably 2015) and will sell a lot of systems.

Iwata keeping his 9 million figure for the end of the fiscal year is pure insanity, though.

Top Bottom