• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Famitsu: 3DS LL 192k, NMB2 431k in 2 days

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't think you understand what PPI means. Shrinking both those images down to the same size as the original low-res, and displaying them on the same screen will obviously make them look the exact same. Now if you displayed the screenshot on an original PSP, and then beside that you have an upscaled version on a vita screen? That's a more accurate comparison to show what high PPI does for a screen.
So, I don't know what it means but you go on to suggest the same thing I suggested (actually, I could be all anal too and then I'd say you're wrong because upscaling is totally not the same as rendering in higher native resolution, but anyway), just with PSP and Vita instead of iPad2 and new iPad.

RM8

Incredible numbers, I hope XL becomes popular in America as well. Now, as someone who prefers the regular 3DS, I just want Nintendo to release the cobalt blue one around here and then they can discontinue it for all I care.

Also - I understand better resolution makes for prettier visuals, but I can go from playing Super Street Fighter IV at 1080p on my PC to playing it on my 3DS and I don't die because of the awful visuals or anything. And in the topic of smartphones and Street Fighter IV... eh, let's not talk about that.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Chris. You got 5 variables, one inequality and one equation. This is not solvable. >:|

'eb' isn't variable. Someone with extended knowledge for Japanese trackers would know what it represents.

Either way 99% you'll understand this tomorrow.

Not but it does allow for vastly superior picture quality. Previously unseen details become much clearer and vivid. Just take a look inside the Dolphin thread.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. All I said that resolution's only use wasn't to provide better visuals.

Despite their critical success Sony still has the weakest 1st party commercially. I'd say their focus on that over securing 3rd party exclusivity probably did more harm than good long term.

In Japan they're a real non-issue too, SCEI has never had a weaker portfolio than they do today.

Nintendo of course has by far the best commercially but does MS really have better? Outside of Halo Sony can pretty much match and surpass the sales of MS first party titles and even regarding Halo Gran Turismo is pretty close. Well if you count Kinect Adventures then perhaps but even that could have been one hit wonder...

Nintendo of course has by far the best commercially but does MS really have better? Outside of Halo Sony can pretty much match and surpass the sales of MS first party titles and even regarding Halo Gran Turismo is pretty close. Well if you count Kinect Adventures then perhaps but even that could have been one hit wonder...

Well according to MS their top 4 franchises outsell Sony's top 10. Thing is Sony has only a few series I would say sells really well Uncharted, God of War, and Gran Turismo.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
x
y
z
__

???.???

x=???.???
y<<<x
x+y=eb

Given that eb is EnterBrain.
x=the amount of retail copies sold, which is a 6-digits number.
y=the amount of copies sold through DD (eShop + retail codes probably)
y is far less than x
x+y=over 430k, NSMB2 2 days performance according to EnterBrain.

Given that eb is EnterBrain.
x=the amount of retail copies sold, which is a 6-digits number.
y=the amount of copies sold through DD (eShop + retail codes probably)
y is far less than x
x+y=over 430k, NSMB2 2 days performance according to EnterBrain.

You're missing z which is probably eshop sales alone. y is the amount of retail DD codes most likely. So the 430k does include the download cards but not e-shop sales direct.

Did they ever specify the US? Anyway Sony has basically no first party Japanese presence, so the PAL region is the only other thing to discuss.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You're missing z which is probably eshop sales alone. y is the amount of retail DD codes most likely. So the 430k does include the download cards but not e-shop sales direct.

Oh yes, you're probably right.

Cipherr

The original 3DS just became profitable again, according to the latest quarterly fincancial report from Nintendo

They also mentioned that the new LL model is not being sold at a loss. So that whole losing money on hardware thing is over and done with for them.

For most of the gen MS invested less but sold more than SCE, though in the past couple years they've been hiring like crazy and growing multiple new studios. At this point MS actually has more 1st party studios than SCE, the thing is they tend to have less visibility since all (but Twisted Pixel) were formed ground up and many have yet to deliver their first commercial product.

My point though was that Sony's significant 1st party investment hasn't necessairily payed dividends this gen. Commercially they're not really any better off than they were in the PS1 or PS2 days (and in Japan particularly they're in fact far worse off) and 1st party exclusives have really failed to carry their platforms like 3rd party exclusives did previously.

They also mentioned that the new LL model is not being sold at a loss. So that whole losing money on hardware thing is over and done with for them.

I still think they meant 3DS on a whole became profitable, not the original model specifically, but I imagine the losses/profits on that are pretty small so it's no big deal. DS LL will be the big money spinner, say $50 profit per unit at a complete guess.

Already? I thought 3DS would have just from September. Well, I suppose from now on Nintendo will probably post profits again.

This quarter ends in September, the headlines came from them saying it would be profitable in the first half of this Financial Year.

M3d10n

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. All I said that resolution's only use wasn't to provide better visuals.

Yes, higher resolution means more screen real estate, but that effect is reduced on small screens when the PPI goes beyond a certain threshold. For example, the new iPad's retina display can mostly be used for sharper visuals, since making UI elements smaller would make them both harder to see and touch.

so when we are sure its profitable we can bring out the IT PRINTS MONEY gif
3AQmK.gif

Top Bottom