• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: Final Fantasy XV down ~56% from FF13, lowest singleplayer debut since FF5

Square2015

Is it right? That sum over 1.6 million already.

It could be low, maybe by a little bit; a higher formula would put DQV and Romancing Saga over official ship numbers. I've tested the formula with other titles and it holds well if not playing it a bit safe.

KillLaCam

Banned
I like Final Fantasy XV better than XIII and XII, but by so little. So little that I can't even feel great fulfillment knowing so.

It makes it out of the "Games I don't like" tier by mere hairs.

Yeah It was a decent game but pretty much everything I was excited about was removed.
I thought it would atleast be in my top 10 Jrpgs but sadly it was just ok

Id play it again if we ever get a higher frame rate mode on the pro or the Square Enix CEO dlc is released.

TuXx

The first 2 disks of VIII's story are great, and the only genuinely bad part is one 20 minute section at the basketball court

Can't really agree with you there, but Vlll is probably the worst FF to use as an example for story being important in FF.

Vlll has plot elements that are dropped and never mentioned again and shifts in character motivations that aren't ever explained. In fact, a lot of the things that XV gets criticized for is also a problem in Vlll.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The major problem with VIII is the junction system, not the story. The story and theme are fine though.

dan2026

Why exactly was Lightning so popular in Japan?
Whereas the general consensus that I hear is that she was a boring, monotone, cardboard cutout.

Did we get a bad translation or something?

Whereas the general consensus that I hear is that she was a boring, monotone, cardboard cutout.

I actually think the Lightning character is pretty interesting/cool, and though she does have her monotone period (much like Cloud & Squall both) she has a fair amount interesting going on. The problem is the story she's in is all over the place, has no recognizable/significant antagonist (it's just sort of nebulously 'the gods') and she shares the screen with a few really unbearable characters, like Snow.

I personally actually think of Lightning as a character as one of the better FF protagonists, though, there's just not much good to use that character in.

I actually think the Lightning character is pretty interesting/cool, and though she does have her monotone period (much like Cloud & Squall both) she has a fair amount interesting going on. The problem is the story she's in is all over the place, has no recognizable/significant antagonist (it's just sort of nebulously 'the gods') and she shares the screen with a few really unbearable characters, like Snow.

I personally actually think of Lightning as a character as one of the better FF protagonists, though, there's just not much good to use that character in.

Caius is a good villain, granted he's only the villain in one of the games.

ethomaz

Banned

She is charismatic and has a good design but FFXIII didn't put a good use for her.

Power of the amazing character design mostly...

And also she wasn't what you said she was.

Your opinions does not equals others of Lightning. Shocking

Her mentoring relationship with Hope is awesome...she develops well in XIII imo

kromeo

Not sure why people hate Hope either, it's not like children should always be expected to behave rationally. His character develops pretty well by the end

Snow is just all round awful though, and Vanille is definitely irritating

Halabane

Really wish WoFF would have gotten 'some' of the pr budget of 15. Glad to see some people are seeing it as the better FF game this year. I went and bought the vita version besides owning the p4 just to play it more while on travel while ff15 I have to make myself play. Yeah I don't have to but I have finished all the numbers (except 11/14 of course) so I am going to get it done.

Squire

Banned
She is charismatic and has a good design but FFXIII didn't put a good use for her.

How is Light good or charismatic? She's moody for half the game, has a sudden epiphany and then she's just... kinda chill and blah?

She looks cool, but her personality is barely there at all.

It's funny, I never liked Lightning's character design, even. The characters just seemed like a huge step down from 12's that I never really got over the disappointment.

Lynx_7

Lightning is ok, I can't say I feel strongly about her either way. I don't dislike her but I don't like her either. She's just kinda there and I accept her existence and dank memes.

I feel like Fang and Vanille were more important to the overall narrative than she was in XIII.

Top Bottom